Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to buy a new laptop any suggestions?

Hicks2006Hicks2006 Member Posts: 40

As the title implies im looking to buy myself a gaming laptop. I would get a pc but im never home long enough to log onto a pc and i have my laptop where ever i go. So i need a strong laptop i can take with me that could handle say skyrim on max. Thats mainly the reason im want the laptop. That and im tired of entering PVP on SWTOR with my current laptop and having a frame rate of 0.5.

So let me know what you guys think. point me in the right direction.

Comments

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Member RarePosts: 5,484

Originally posted by Hicks2006

As the title implies im looking to buy myself a gaming laptop. I would get a pc but im never home long enough to log onto a pc and i have my laptop where ever i go. So i need a strong laptop i can take with me that could handle say skyrim on max. Thats mainly the reason im want the laptop. That and im tired of entering PVP on SWTOR with my current laptop and having a frame rate of 0.5.

So let me know what you guys think. point me in the right direction.

Need to know weight, screen size, and how much you can spend. That said, get a custom built Sager or equivalent if you can afford it.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo Possum. 

• Hicks2006Hicks2006 Member Posts: 40

im willing to spend up to roughly 1500. 2000 if i really have to

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,164

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8170-clevo-p170hm-p-2971.html?wconfigure=yes

Upgrade to a Radeon HD 6990M and get Windows 7 Home Premium, and it comes to $1594.  That lets you get the $100 off discount, bringing it to $1494.  The GPU is roughly equivalent to a (desktop) Radeon HD 6850, and about as fast as you can get in a laptop.

You can also get about the same thing in a 15" form factor if you prefer that rather than 17".

-----

There are still the questions of

a)  whether you really want a gaming laptop as opposed to a desktop, and

b)  whether you really want to buy right now rather than waiting.

On (a), if you're going to sit in a hotel room and play games, then yeah, you need a gaming laptop.  But I mention it because a lot of people have ideas about getting a gaming laptop and using it like a desktop, and would be better off with a desktop.

On (b), if you need better performance in a game you're playing right now, then you probably don't want to wait.  If the upgrade is less urgent than you make it sound, then you might want to wait a few months, as some full node die shrinks are on the way.  An Ivy Bridge CPU rather than Sandy Bridge, and Pitcairn GPU rather than Barts, would get you about two years worth of Moore's Law improvements.  That's a few months away, though.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Theres many choices when looking for a gaming laptop.  You will want to buy by 1 rule, dont overpay, theres so much shite out there in the gaming sector of mobile that its easy to pay way more then you need to for something that is inferior to many other better deals.

Malibal is a good one to check out, they got the worlds fastest laptop in the x7200(heres the pictures(its sold by many other brands, its not specific to malibal)) which costs 1837$ currently with them.  I would very much recommend that laptop, it has everything you can imagine on a laptop and looks half way decent as to take it out and about although its 18 inch screen so realize its going to be a bit heavier then other laptops, for power its the most powerfull laptop on the planet.  The Lotus P151HM1 thats being sold there is also a good one, its 15 inch screen selling for 964.00$. 

Xoticpc is another good reseller, I forgot to say Malibal is a reseller as well.  Xotic sell more stuff with Asus and MSI, both which are good brands. My current favorite laptop on the market is the MSI X460DX, its a smaller laptop at 14 inches and weighs just 4 pounds around theres.  It would be able to play Skyrim on maximum detail, it costs around 800$ but you can find deals on unopened boxes on ebay and other places for under 700 if you look hard enough.  Also I cant suggest gaming laptop without telling you about MSI GT780, its about the only gaming laptop on the market with a keyboard made by steelseries(they make gaming gear) as well as a Matte screen/anti reflective which is unheard of(matte screen means no nasty glare).

As you can tell, Im Alienware fan from my signature, I would never suggest to you buy any other gaming brand before taking a look at what started the mobile gaming industry.  Every laptop they make currently, with M11x,M14x,M17x,M18x are all beautifull well built machines.  You can find coupons a lot of the time for dell, the m18x is pritty new and I would recommend it to any one, its starts at 1990.00$ but you can get it cheaper if you look. 

A good place to find coupons and such on laptops is slickdeals, a lot of the times if you search you can find a 25% off a brand new system like in this thread, that would cut the cost of a brand new m18x by 500$.  These are the kinda deals you want to watch for when buying specifically a gaming laptop.  There is no sane reason in paying full price for a gameing laptop currently, aboslutly none at all.  I would say its very naive to spend full price at the moment on a gaming laptop. If you look around a bit and consult a few places you can find your self a deal that looks reasonable.  At least for the full fledged gaming laptops, the 14 inch laptops I showed you, they are all reasonable priced and your not going to be getting them much cheaper then 600$.   When your looking for a gaming laptop you dont want to overspend, its the holy grail of buying a gaming laptop, never over spend. 

Theres many many other gaming laptops out there in the mobile sector, If you would like to see how some games run on my laptop the Lenovo Ideapad Y460 check out my channel at http://www.youtube.com/notebookplayer.   Also I couldnt go without recommending you what I game on, you can get a great Lenovo Ideapad Y470, its 14 inch screen but they make the Y570 if you want a 16 inch, you can get it for around 650.00$, it weights less then 5 pounds and can game Skyrim on max detail. 

Some others to glance at.

Sony Vaio CA

Asus U46SV

PS: If this is your first time buying a laptop, dont be afraid to test the waters with a less expensive14 inch  that I posted through out my reply(MSI x460dx, Ideapad Y470,sony ca, asus u46sv).  You can sell them for almot the same you payed for them at least get some good chunk of change back if you decide later to upgrade to a full fledged gaming machine.  Also these laptops are packed with so many features, most the time they have more in them then an more expensive gaming laptop has which makes them way better bang for the buck.   Some gaming laptops perform better for gaming enthusiasts and for the first time buyer they are really useless compared to someone that has been studying them longer.  Software wise as well as configuring the machine can be a hard task for new time buyers that wont be able to fully utalize the features an expensive gaming laptop can give and might turn of first time buyers.

Theres alot of software to use when you game on a laptop, you want to record temperatures and overclock if your gaming a high performance game like Skyrim.  HWmonitor would be something you want for temps as well as a overclocking utility for overclocking your graphics card, I use AMD GPU tools.  Theres many other softwares that you want while gaming also, I use fraps and gamebooster to name a few others.  Also keeping your machine cool is top priority, you want to make sure there is enough room on the bottom of your laptop to let air in the intake, it will keep your machine from overheating obviously, I use a fan in the room I game in, it keeps temps about 15-25 celsius cooler which is a friggin lot. 

Laptops often have quirks about them that people get hung up on.  Ask questions if you need to at places like techinferno, even notebookreview, there two forums that people go to specifically talk about laptops.

PS:Here is a nice HP laptop for 500$, it has a AMD 6750M in it for a graphics card which would run all the new games on maximum detail, its refurbished but it would be a good testing the waters laptop, its on slickdeals atm, its being sold by tiger direct.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,164

Originally posted by eycel

Malibal is a good one to check out, they got the worlds fastest laptop in the x7200(heres the pictures(its sold by many other brands, its not specific to malibal)) which costs 1837$ currently with them.  I would very much recommend that laptop, it has everything you can imagine on a laptop and looks half way decent as to take it out and about although its 18 inch screen so realize its going to be a bit heavier then other laptops, for power its the most powerfull laptop on the planet.

By the time you upgrade to the Gulftown processor and two Radeon HD 6990M video cards in CrossFire, it's $2800 from that site.  And that's before having any other upgrades, such as including an operating system rather than a blank drive.  The whole point of the laptop is to get those upgrades, making it a stupid choice without them.  And that's way, way out of the budget of the original poster.

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by eycel

Theres many many other gaming laptops out there in the mobile sector, If you would like to see how some games run on my laptop the Lenovo Ideapad Y460 check out my channel at http://www.youtube.com/notebookplayer.   Also I couldnt go without recommending you what I game on, you can get a great Lenovo Ideapad Y470, its 14 inch screen but they make the Y570 if you want a 16 inch, you can get it for around 650.00$, it weights less then 5 pounds and can game Skyrim on max detail. 

You cannot play Skyrim maxed on the Y570. Thus, the only thing I can conclude from your post is that you either have a skewed perception of what "max" means or that you have a skewed perception of what "play" means.