Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played a single minute of the NGE

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by Gravez

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Lost_Bothan

SWG was good enough if people just embraced the changes, and rolled with it, like they are doing with SWTOR. SWTOR and NGE are no different, other than those who were no longer playing SWG are now viewing SWTOR as a fresh new game. If people treated NGE as a fresh new game, and stayed with it, then it could have grown into something wonderful, but the huge drop in subs made LA ditch SWG and focus on SWTOR which ended up being a shell of a game of the NGE (SWTOR just has the looks, SWG had the content and lots of it and some will never be able to get into SWTOR due to way the game has been created therefore SWTOR will not last that long). Coinsidering what SOE were left to deal with, they did a great job, I doubt Bioware would have been able to keep it running for 6 years if they were left to deal with it - they are MMO noobs

The poll was not macro'd this site has too many restrictions in place to make that happen even if you wanted to. You can not just create loads of accounts as it is not allowed, and then if you do you have to be a regular user and post for a while to be able to vote / do much, but as soon as you do all your accounts get permanently banned. So that poll has more merit than anything else

SWG was good enough if people embraced the changes? Oh please, that simply is not the case at all. People would have "embraced the changes" if they had provided a good gaming experience. For most that was not the case. Moreover that kind of thinking lacks total validity when you consider that plenty of people tried the game without having ever experienced it pre NGE. They had no ulterior motives to dislike the game, nor did they have any preconception as to the mechanics, and yet the game failed to attract and maintain the number of players one would expect from such a massive IP.

That has nothing to do with bitter vets and nothing to do with "embracing changes", it does though have everything to do with the product not being good enough.

Again you are mentioning SWTOR even though it is as clear as day that the quality of SWTOR or any other game out there on the market has zero impact upon the quality or lack of, of SWG. Whether SWTRO is good or not, whether it retains subs or not, whether is lasts more than five minutes or not. Non of that matters when considering the pros and cons of SWG.

The pvp in SWG was a joke, from the perspective of the actual combat mechanics and buff system, through the server lag and loss issues to the fact that the factional warfare (which one would have thought should have been good in and SW game set in that era) was a complete and utter joke.

The pve consisted of grinding weak ass mobs and mini "heroics" many of which you could run through with 2-3 players (or solo on Mustafar).

In short perhaps the two most important aspects of an mmo, the pvp and pve, were crap in SWG.

It didn't even have being a sandbox to fall back on, it was just a big empty pit. No skill system, no territory attack and control, no resource control. Just massive ghost towns, awesome. Look at the complexities of EVE and UO, now look at SWG, oh dear.

All the game had was crafting and twitch space. The first was done well but then it is niche at the best of times, when it is taking place in an economy with zero looting, resource control and/or decay (i.e. a broken, hyper inflated economy) it is even more niche. Space was good, but niche, even within SWG.

The devs just added more and more loot grinds to keep the hardcore fanbois in the game, as though getting plant part 3/70 after over 9000 attempts so you could complete the collection and have a static object in a generic house covered over the fact that there was fuck all else of real gameplay interest to do.

Nevermind, yep the game was amazing, the only game that ever felt like an online world amirite (fingers in ears at the mention of UO). SOE did an amazing job, flawless really. PVP was super and highly competitve  and the PVE, man the PVE was awesome. There would have been at least 110 million subs by now if people just tried it with an open mind. It having a low pop and shutting down is all down to a few bitter vets and the coming of SWTOR , the bastards.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

Wall of text that is the equivalent of hitting your head against a brick wall. And trying again, just to be sure it hurt.

SWG was good enough if people just embraced the changes, and rolled with it, like they are doing with SWTOR. SWTOR and NGE are no different, other than those who were no longer playing SWG are now viewing SWTOR as a fresh new game. If people treated NGE as a fresh new game, and stayed with it, then it could have grown into something wonderful, but the huge drop in subs made LA ditch SWG and focus on SWTOR which ended up being a shell of a game of the NGE (SWTOR just has the looks, SWG had the content and lots of it and some will never be able to get into SWTOR due to way the game has been created therefore SWTOR will not last that long). Coinsidering what SOE were left to deal with, they did a great job, I doubt Bioware would have been able to keep it running for 6 years if they were left to deal with it - they are MMO noobs

The poll was not macro'd this site has too many restrictions in place to make that happen even if you wanted to. You can not just create loads of accounts as it is not allowed, and then if you do you have to be a regular user and post for a while to be able to vote / do much, but as soon as you do all your accounts get permanently banned. So that poll has more merit than anything else

After the NGE hit, SOE did have an advertising campaign and even some other forms of promotion - NGE did get a fresh load of players. But not enough of them stayed. These people could not embrace the changes because they were not changes to them. They were the state of the game and many of them found things unenjoyable enough to walk away from the free trials and special offers and god knows what else. Even with the vet returns, I saw many a open minded vet return to give it a go. But even those who did like certain aspects of the changes left.

Of  course, all of this banter is pointless. Like the PreCU protests and WoW debacles before this - changes are not made or found here in discussion forums. Let alone for dead games.  IF you are truly determined to bring about some kind of Lazarus event on SWG - I suggest that you start with an official letter to SOE perhaps cc'ing LA. List all of your evidence, complaints and ideas and then mail it off certified. Post the letter here. And then keep us updated on your progress.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by Ginaz

imageimageimageimageimage

Where are all the Full servers gone?

Starsider, Chilastra, Flurry and Farstar were all full in June 2011, and was fact, there are screenshots on the official SWG forums to show that. In April 2011 only Starsider was full, the free cts was working and getting the populations sorted. Pretty darn good for 8 years

WOWs servers were full for years. Christmas 2010 I could not create charcaters on the server I created back in 2004, because it was FULL. SWTORs popuilations is pathetic if it can not hold FULL servers at this stage with less than one month and all playing in the first 30 free days. By the end of the year they will all be Light at the rate they are dropping.

I know this might sound CRRRRAZY.... but could it be that server technology, like all other computer technology,  has IMPROVED drastically over the years (I know... I'm a loony thinker), and that server capacity might be (gulp) DIFFERENT than it was back then?  SWG and WoW may have well had full servers, but that has no bearing on whether or not TOR has more people logged in. All it means is that their CAPACITY is LESS.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

There are no facts to state that SOE is to blame for its failure...

The game got shut down, it failed. 

THIS!

Curious...how many lines of code did LA write for SWG?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWG was good enough if people embraced the changes? Oh please, that simply is not the case at all. People would have "embraced the changes" if they had provided a good gaming experience. For most that was not the case. Moreover that kind of thinking lacks total validity when you consider that plenty of people tried the game without having ever experienced it pre NGE. They had no ulterior motives to dislike the game, nor did they have any preconception as to the mechanics, and yet the game failed to attract and maintain the number of players one would expect from such a massive IP.

That has nothing to do with bitter vets and nothing to do with "embracing changes", it does though have everything to do with the product not being good enough.

Again you are mentioning SWTOR even though it is as clear as day that the quality of SWTOR or any other game out there on the market has zero impact upon the quality or lack of, of SWG. Whether SWTRO is good or not, whether it retains subs or not, whether is lasts more than five minutes or not. Non of that matters when considering the pros and cons of SWG.

The pvp in SWG was a joke, from the perspective of the actual combat mechanics and buff system, through the server lag and loss issues to the fact that the factional warfare (which one would have thought should have been good in and SW game set in that era) was a complete and utter joke.

The pve consisted of grinding weak ass mobs and mini "heroics" many of which you could run through with 2-3 players (or solo on Mustafar).

In short perhaps the two most important aspects of an mmo, the pvp and pve, were crap in SWG.

It didn't even have being a sandbox to fall back on, it was just a big empty pit. No skill system, no territory attack and control, no resource control. Just massive ghost towns, awesome. Look at the complexities of EVE and UO, now look at SWG, oh dear.

All the game had was crafting and twitch space. The first was done well but then it is niche at the best of times, when it is taking place in an economy with zero looting, resource control and/or decay (i.e. a broken, hyper inflated economy) it is even more niche. Space was good, but niche, even within SWG.

The devs just added more and more loot grinds to keep the hardcore fanbois in the game, as though getting plant part 3/70 after over 9000 attempts so you could complete the collection and have a static object in a generic house covered over the fact that there was fuck all else of real gameplay interest to do.

Nevermind, yep the game was amazing, the only game that ever felt like an online world amirite (fingers in ears at the mention of UO). SOE did an amazing job, flawless really. PVP was super and highly competitve  and the PVE, man the PVE was awesome. There would have been at least 110 million subs by now if people just tried it with an open mind. It having a low pop and shutting down is all down to a few bitter vets and the coming of SWTOR , the bastards.

People just could not get over the changes and lost trust with SOE/LA there and then on Dec 15th 2011, and no matter how good the game was they were just not going to try it again, wasting more of their time, effort and money. When retrying it again on a free trial it was more or less the same, but even with the improvements, it was not the game they once played, but yet most of them now are getting into SWTOR.

Although even with SWTOR people are leaving it and not going to sub at the end of the 30 days, and there were no changes to add to the mass exodus.

As for the new people, I bet the majority of them just saw all the bad reviews and stayed away and not even tried it, but those that did probably kept thoughts of the bad reviews in their mind, and used it as an excuse not to get involved with the game.

Obviously some people are not going to like the NGE, like you it seems, and I did not like the change either as my Jedi I spent years on grinding professions and the going through the village, was as good as my Enteratianer I AFK'd after respeciing from Ent to a combat prof just before NGE hit, and then respecced to Jedi in NGE. It was all a waste of time, and I was angry as hell, but then over time I just looked at SWG as a new game, like it being SWTOR, and began to love it again.

I have played SWG for over 10000 hours since Oct 2005, and I have enjoyed every minute of it, and even subbing loads of accounts at one time none of it ever felt like a waste of money, even went subbed the most ever in Sep 2011 to get them all in at the end, costing me more than 2 SWTOR CEs. There were plenty others who enjoyed the game too, and di not find the game crap at all. It had its bugs but its features, content and systems far made up for it. It is the only MMO where the majority of people who got hooked on SWG, keep coming back to, as it never gets stale.

At the end of the day, SWG was picking back up after they put in the constant free cts, as beforehand there was only one full server. but by June there were 4 full servers. If they had made the annoucement about shutting the game down in Sep / Oct giving 2-3 months notice, and populations dropped after the free 45 days then I would pretty much agree with you, and would not be here praising SWG, but unfortuantely the shutdown announcement came when the game was on a high, and the future looked bright, and people were really having fun in the game for the first time for years, and I was the most happiest with the game since 2003. Also if SWTOR had more or better or as good as the systems, even if totally different, than in SWG or any other MMO, then I may have accepted SWGs closure better, but unfortuantely SWTOR has far less features than other MMOs, let alone SWG. Bioware knows it, and James lOhlen is on the case!

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

People just could not get over the changes and lost trust with SOE/LA there and then on Dec 15th 2011, and no matter how good the game was they were just not going to try it again, wasting more of their time, effort and money. When retrying it again on a free trial it was more or less the same, but even with the improvements, it was not the game they once played, but yet most of them now are getting into SWTOR.

Although even with SWTOR people are leaving it and not going to sub at the end of the 30 days, and there were no changes to add to the mass exodus.

As for the new people, I bet the majority of them just saw all the bad reviews and stayed away and not even tried it, but those that did probably kept thoughts of the bad reviews in their mind, and used it as an excuse not to get involved with the game.

Obviously some people are not going to like the NGE, like you it seems, and I did not like the change either as my Jedi I spent years on grinding professions and the going through the village, was as good as my Enteratianer I AFK'd after respeciing from Ent to a combat prof just before NGE hit, and then respecced to Jedi in NGE. It was all a waste of time, and I was angry as hell, but then over time I just looked at SWG as a new game, like it being SWTOR, and began to love it again.

I have played SWG for over 10000 hours since Oct 2005, and I have enjoyed every minute of it, and even subbing loads of accounts at one time none of it ever felt like a waste of money, even went subbed the most ever in Sep 2011 to get them all in at the end, costing me more than 2 SWTOR CEs. There were plenty others who enjoyed the game too, and di not find the game crap at all. It had its bugs but its features, content and systems far made up for it. It is the only MMO where the majority of people who got hooked on SWG, keep coming back to, as it never gets stale.

At the end of the day, SWG was picking back up after they put in the constant free cts, as beforehand there was only one full server. but by June there were 4 full servers. If they had made the annoucement about shutting the game down in Sep / Oct giving 2-3 months notice, and populations dropped after the free 45 days then I would pretty much agree with you, and would not be here praising SWG, but unfortuantely the shutdown announcement came when the game was on a high, and the future looked bright, and people were really having fun in the game for the first time for years, and I was the most happiest with the game since 2003. Also if SWTOR had more or better or as good as the systems, even if totally different, than in SWG or any other MMO, then I may have accepted SWGs closure better, but unfortuantely SWTOR has far less features than other MMOs, let alone SWG. Bioware knows it, and James lOhlen is on the case!

You just can't seem to get it through your head that if the game was good people would have been playing it. All the excuses mean jack shit. It may have been the greatest game ever to you and a few thousand people who played it, but to anyone else it was complete garbage.

You just can't seem to get it through your head that if the game was good people would have been playing it. All the excuses mean jack shit. It may have been the greatest game ever to you and a few thousand people who played it, but to anyone else it was complete garbage.

You can not seem to get it through your head, that people were playing, and when the shutdown announcement came the server populations were RISING.

If SWG was active now, it may have taken a hit when SWTOR launched, but now people are ditching SWTOR they would have seeked out SWG. There are quite a few threads on the official forums my OTHER people, missing SWG, and even saying that SWG was overall better

You can not seem to get it through your head, that people were playing, and when the shutdown announcement came the server populations were RISING.

Any proof of that claim or are you just making it up again?

Congrats you had 3001 players!

April - Starsider - only server to get to Extremely Heavy / Very Heavy, the rest were Light

By June, Chilastra, Flurry, Farstar were also hitting Very Heavy / Heavy with Chilastra and Farstar locked to transfers in as they were full, posted the link earlier proving it

Anybody playing the game around that time will confirm

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

SWG was a shell of a game compared to pre-nge(CU), when it closed down.

Originally posted by Raora

SWTOR is a shell of a game of what SWG was when it shut down

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by someforumguy

My ideal SWG would be the preNGE skillsystem combined with later NGE features and content on top of a rewritten graphics engine. Without the TCG of course. Oh and flying ewoks, unless you get to hunt and kill them.

yes!  would have loved to play a combination of both.  the nge sucked for sure in the begining but the devs towards the ends were  doing some really cool stuff.  its just a shame how it all went down.  i miss the game already, there is nothing else like it.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Raora

At least SWG had content when it closed.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

If SWG was active now, it may have taken a hit when SWTOR launched, but now people are ditching SWTOR they would have seeked out SWG. There are quite a few threads on the official forums my OTHER people, missing SWG, and even saying that SWG was overall better

Appearently, not enough.  Thru all the years of SWG we really still have no idea what exactly the IP payments to LA actualy were.  We have no idea what the costs of maintianing the servers was.  We really have no idea how many real subs there were also at the end.  SOE did.  LA might of had a clue to some of these questions as well.

Fact of the matter is the game ended before the contract completion date for the IP between SOE and LA.  That would lead some1 who has set up contracts, such as this, that SOE might very well have asked for the contract to complete.  Your forgetting that SOE had just came thru the hack as well and was (and still is to a certain extent) restructuring all their financial aspects.  These people here are correct, if SWG was making money as some people claim it would still be there today.  For some reason, we do not know, it wasn't so it's not.  TOR is basicly a moot point and has no bearing on SWG at all.  It will live or die on it's own merits and on the decisions that Bioware makes going forth.

I was there when they did the 45 days for the hack as well.  Before the hack, I had canceled 3 of my 4 accounts as there was no reason to have that many accounts anylonger.  Most ALL of the people I knew had done the same on Bria.  Bria was DEAD.  I logged into my 1 remaining acocunt more out of nostalgia than anything else and then to just walk around my bunker or city and look at the houses of people I knew that had left the game full well knowing that the city was going to be out of time as well.

Sorry, but SWG is not coming back, EVER.  SOE doesn't want it and LA has already stated for the record that they want to do ALL future development in-house.  That leaves NO wiggle room at all.

Super, you and Hip and any1 else who wants some of what SWG had might take a look at Dawntide.  It has housing, citys, deco, creature taming, crafing that requires "stations" and you can fail at, large open worlds, sandbox, 35s of a sort, ship and world combat (this time on water instead of space), etc.  The only real difference is full PVP/full loot but I have a rather large thread over there now on this exact subject that their devs are looking at it and designing for as I've had pms from a developer trying to make this game into something that an SWG vet might like.  I played the open beta before they took it down for a complete world redesign and it is supposed to be back up by next month for the final period of testing before launch.  Come on over and help us "SWG vets" make Dawntide into something that we can recapture at least parts of SWG.  That's about as close as any of us are ever going to get and the more of us that are there pre-launch the more we will get into the design of Dawntide so we can all have a game again.

Put that gaming passion you have to work again.

Originally posted by Esquire1980

Appearently, not enough.  Thru all the years of SWG we really still have no idea what exactly the IP payments to LA actualy were.  We have no idea what the costs of maintianing the servers was.  We really have no idea how many real subs there were also at the end.  SOE did.  LA might of had a clue to some of these questions as well.

Fact of the matter is the game ended before the contract completion date for the IP between SOE and LA.  That would lead some1 who has set up contracts, such as this, that SOE might very well have asked for the contract to complete.  Your forgetting that SOE had just came thru the hack as well and was (and still is to a certain extent) restructuring all their financial aspects.  These people here are correct, if SWG was making money as some people claim it would still be there today.  For some reason, we do not know, it wasn't so it's not.  TOR is basicly a moot point and has no bearing on SWG at all.  It will live or die on it's own merits and on the decisions that Bioware makes going forth.

I was there when they did the 45 days for the hack as well.  Before the hack, I had canceled 3 of my 4 accounts as there was no reason to have that many accounts anylonger.  Most ALL of the people I knew had done the same on Bria.  Bria was DEAD.  I logged into my 1 remaining acocunt more out of nostalgia than anything else and then to just walk around my bunker or city and look at the houses of people I knew that had left the game full well knowing that the city was going to be out of time as well.

Sorry, but SWG is not coming back, EVER.  SOE doesn't want it and LA has already stated for the record that they want to do ALL future development in-house.  That leaves NO wiggle room at all.

Super, you and Hip and any1 else who wants some of what SWG had might take a look at Dawntide.  It has housing, citys, deco, creature taming, crafing that requires "stations" and you can fail at, large open worlds, sandbox, 35s of a sort, ship and world combat (this time on water instead of space), etc.  The only real difference is full PVP/full loot but I have a rather large thread over there now on this exact subject that their devs are looking at it and designing for as I've had pms from a developer trying to make this game into something that an SWG vet might like.  I played the open beta before they took it down for a complete world redesign and it is supposed to be back up by next month for the final period of testing before launch.  Come on over and help us "SWG vets" make Dawntide into something that we can recapture at least parts of SWG.  That's about as close as any of us are ever going to get and the more of us that are there pre-launch the more we will get into the design of Dawntide so we can all have a game again.

The shut down announcement came before people had the chance to resub. So not even LA/SOE knew what the subs would have been after June. I had literally hundreds of accounts and none were set to renew when the free time was expired, as I reset all details, and was unsure which accounts to resub, and had others still on the free time not used. I had every intention on resubbing, and then just resubbed whichever accounts I needed. I did not know until the time came.

If the game did not have enough subs, they would have given just 3 months notice and not 6 months. No other MMo that has shut down has given that much time, and is not in SOEs nature to be that generous.

The game was getting shut down regardless of what the populations were, whether it was 1 or 1 billion. It just seems bad business sense to announce the shutdown when they did if it was down to lack of population. Even giving one more month to see how many resub after the 45 days would not have hurt anyone, and still gave plenty of notice of its closure. No matter when a MMO shuts down tfhere is always a time where you will be paying for it, when would not do if knowing its closure.

April - Starsider - only server to get to Extremely Heavy / Very Heavy, the rest were Light

By June, Chilastra, Flurry, Farstar were also hitting Very Heavy / Heavy with Chilastra and Farstar locked to transfers in as they were full, posted the link earlier proving it

That's not "proof"...that's your assumption.

I would argue that any "increases" likely came from 2 sources - FREE CHARACTER TRANSFERS for ALL, which resulted in a condensing of characters from sparsely populated servers to the servers mentioned and also from people rolling alts on additional servers (Starsider, Chili and Flurry) so they WOULD have PvP.

"Proof" is not you guessing. No matter how much YOU believe something to be true, that doesn't make it so, nor is that "proof" for others. Please stop posting your opinion as 'fact'.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I've played about 2 hours of the NGE.  After 2 hours of playing it you don't have to resist it any more, it is impossible to want to play after that :-)

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

The game was getting shut down regardless of what the populations were, whether it was 1 or 1 billion.

Bull shit lol. It's OBVIOUS you're just trolling lol.

The game was getting shut down regardless of what the populations were, whether it was 1 or 1 billion.

Yeah I really have a hard time believing this guy is serious.

I am deadly serious. All I see are a bunch of people who hate SOE as have persoanl grudges against them as well as what the NGE did and will say anything to make SOE /SWG look bad. Tux had been stating that Clone Wars Adventures was a MMO, but there is a thread in the CWA forums of this site showing that Pex has stated that SOE are not regarding CWA as a MMO. Tux knows what I post is the truth, and just tries to deny it, wanting me to prove what I say. I am the serious one here, I find it hard to take you and Tux serious.

Obviosuly 1 billion was an exagerations, but the fact is they did not wait until they gave people the chance to sub after the 45 days were up.

That's not "proof"...that's your assumption.

I would argue that any "increases" likely came from 2 sources - FREE CHARACTER TRANSFERS for ALL, which resulted in a condensing of characters from sparsely populated servers to the servers mentioned and also from people rolling alts on additional servers (Starsider, Chili and Flurry) so they WOULD have PvP.

"Proof" is not you guessing. No matter how much YOU believe something to be true, that doesn't make it so, nor is that "proof" for others. Please stop posting your opinion as 'fact'.

There is a third source - the free 45 days and the marketing that came with it.

They never gave the people the chance to resub. To assume that none of them would resub as what you would think is dumb. The fact is they just did not care how many subbed. I just do not see what the harm in them waiting a few days to a month to find out, and 5 months notice instead of 6 months notice still would have been plenty IF it was due to lack of players.

I am deadly serious. All I see are a bunch of people who hate SOE as have persoanl grudges against them as well as what the NGE did and will say anything to make SOE /SWG look bad. 

Kind of like you're doing with SWTOR?

I am deadly serious. All I see are a bunch of people who hate SOE as have persoanl grudges against them as well as what the NGE did and will say anything to make SOE /SWG look bad. 

No, if SWTOR got more featues and systems to tinker with than just adding story, even if not the same systems as SWG, then I'd be more happy with SWTOR, and keep playing at end game (and so would a lot of other people), but no matter what SOE did to SWG you would not go play it

No, if SWTOR got more featues and systems to tinker with than just adding story, even if not the same systems as SWG, then I'd be more happy with SWTOR, and keep playing at end game (and so would a lot of other people), but no matter what SOE did to SWG you would not go play it

Yeah because it sucked.