Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thankful for TERA

stayruthlessstayruthless Member Posts: 4

By nature I am not the most positive person. However, I have to say I am genuinely just tired of seeing the large scope of negativity that constantly comes out of TERA forums.

By and large, the people posting such things are people who have seen the game in passing, maybe read an article, saw some screenshots, and then formed an opinion. Now this is not a bad start, but to say that their opinion is useless is well, useless.

These very opinionated folks are an interesting group. You see, they were never going to play this game to begin with. Something about the game inherently turned them off from it, "STUPID SHITTY EASTERN ART STYLE Y UR SWORDS SO BIG IT NO MAKE SENSE" (but orcs and night elves are fine, so are jedi), "I'm sick of waiting I'm not going to play anymore because they took too long" (because everyone loves playing a half-finished game, that’s why Korea didn’t accept it in its current form).

But alas, for some reason (interstellar quantum flux maybe?) they then proceeded to seek out forums of the game they were never going to play and post about it.

Just to give a personal example, from the moment SW:TOR was announced I never planned on playing it, did not even enter my unconscious stream of thought. And you know what I did? I shut the hell up and didn't try and piss on all the star wars fans parade. I've never been a huge SW fan, but I respect those who are.

Anyway, to sum up my general ramblings, in honor of the holiday or some shit like that, I'd like to restart TERA's forum life on a positive note.

These are some of the reasons that I WILL be playing TERA as my exclusive MMO of choice in 2012, and I encourage you to share yours:

• I like.. no, I love the art style. The unreal 3 engine does wonders for this style. I love it through and through. In my opinion, the point of games with big beautiful graphics engines is not always to re-render the real world we see around us, but to actually do the impossible. I don’t get to see a 5'2" girl with horns carrying a 7'6", 700lb battleaxe every day, so maybe I want to. Big swords, skimpy armor on castanics, giant monsters, thank you e-gods for hearing my pleas.

• Combat system: Feels somewhat similar to Skyrim for me, except of course hotkeyed skills not just clicks, but the aiming and weight are really strong points. Berserkers REALLY feel like they are holding an axe 5 times their size, and hit like it too.

• WoW similarities and dissimilarities: Questing, leveling up, dungeon 5-man composition, classes, pvp bgs, glyphs, gems, hopefully raiding and rated arena pvp at lvl 60 when that patch releases close to US/EU release. Essentially, TERA has all the similarities to WoW that I loved for so many years, and changes everything that I ever asked for! The combat system is the big change, but there are others like the graphic system which I previously mentioned.

• Level of customization: I am a sucker for character customization. If I am going to spend hours doing top level raiding and pvp, I want my work to show. I am in love with the basic character customization in this game from level one. The fact that you can reforge weapons and armor to look like any other weapons and armor is just absolutely perfect to me. How many times did you ex-wow players out there check mmo-champion to find out that the new tier of armor looks like crap for your class and know that for the next 4 months you’ll be wearing that god awful abomination? Yeah, I thought so.

• Rated M for Mature: I've waited forever for an MMO of this quality to be given this rating. Now I am no fool, an M rating does NOT in any way mean a community reflected by the rating. I am interested in the content it allows them to put in. Appropriate violent combat, it doesn’t tickle when you get hit by a 10 foot sword. Vulgar language, when hit by said 10 foot sword, you wouldn't say "A plague upon you foul trickster! for mine arm stings with the fury of a thousand suns!". Nah, probably not.

• Bluehole studios and En Masse willingness to venture into some unknown territory: The political system will be a big jump in the way that it’s managed and run, quite a new thing really in the mmo world. Their proposal of a jail system, and then their willingness to say, "This isn't working, we're going to scrap it for now" is a really humble move that I think deserves respect. Not too many developers out there EVER admit when they are wrong and push something off for further development and testing.

• A solution to gold buying: Chrono-scrolls, whether they work or not does not matter. The effort and thought behind putting them in as an option is a fantastic choice and one that deserves some credit. I personally will be seeing how much gold I can accrue and will be attempting to essentially play for free if I can work up enough to buy scrolls each month.

I think that is probably enough for now. As you can see, I will 100% be in beta and prepurchasing this game with at least a 3 month recurring subscription to start.

Please just remember that we all play games for different reasons, all of them leading back to the purpose of having fun and enjoying ourselves. Don't attempt to take that away from someone else, just as you wouldn't want it taken from you.

~Thanks TERA!

[sr]

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The minute I see a pre-order for this game, I am there.

I've played EVE Online for 6 years now and I have nothing but good things to say about CCP and EVE but after 6 years, the magic is just plain gone. I went back 10 days ago. I don't think I've played 6 hrs and most of that I didnt even undock.

Graphics for this game made my jaw drop. It's as close as we have gotten in games to playing a Pixar movie. I won't even ask EME to hold my attention for 6 years and I wouldn't view Tera as a failure if they didn't. Suppose they wan't $50 for the game, I think I owe them $10 of that just for the hrs I've spent watching trailers and vidcaps of the game I haven't even played yet.

I'm trying to think, have I been this excited about a game ever and when? It was long enough ago I forgot if I was.

• stayruthlessstayruthless Member Posts: 4

Yep, absolutely I'm right there with you. I also still feel that due to its release timing, it's community will actually grow over time, as long as they get the level 60 content right, which they seem to be painstakingly working on. I feel like I owe them my 50 bucks just due to their acknowledgement that it's not going to be a good idea to push out a 80% finished game in the west. So many games are just pushed out haphazardly to make a quick buck, I really like to see some maturity from developers and distribution companies. Hopefully TERA will be a great success and other companies will learn from this policy.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I'm right there behind ya.   I have been playing the game for about 6 months now (i got 17 characters on 3 different servers Lol) and its the most enjoyable mmo i have played in a long time.  It probably won't have the huge sub numbers like the other big titles but thats fine by me,  I don't need to see a billion sub numbers to know that tera is a quality game worth my sub price.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

While I'm not sold on it, my gf is crazy about this game and won't stop talking about it so... might be something to it.  In all honesty, I just kind of got put off by the cutesy stuff.  I might take a look at it when it comes around...

THIS part I like a lot:

Level of customization: I am a sucker for character customization. If I am going to spend hours doing top level raiding and pvp, I want my work to show. I am in love with the basic character customization in this game from level one. The fact that you can reforge weapons and armor to look like any other weapons and armor is just absolutely perfect to me. How many times did you ex-wow players out there check mmo-champion to find out that the new tier of armor looks like crap for your class and know that for the next 4 months you’ll be wearing that god awful abomination? Yeah, I thought so.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• stayruthlessstayruthless Member Posts: 4

I think the level of customization that TERA brings is something that has been missing from alot of mmos for a long time, its a step in the right direction that generally every future or 'next-gen' (since everythings next gen now) mmo should take.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Tera has a heavy feel / weight to it when you run around or even fight,   Not at all like other games where you feel like your character is skating.  It really conveys a connection between player / character / world.  

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Some people, including myself, were turned off by how long it's taking for what is, supposed to be, a localization.

But after learning that they don't want to release it without the political system and pvp patch, I'm ok with that.  I'd rathe rhave those things at launch then not.  Myabe it can be received better here in america and we can have a larger say on what happenes in the game.

:P)  I will def be preordeing.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Nothing comes close to the PvP in Tera, I just hope they've added more shit to do because that was the only downside.

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Wow im so glad no one is bashing this as a simple korean grinder.... because it really isn't. Hope to see you all in beta/launch.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by stayruthless As you can see, I will 100% be in beta

How so??

PS. Welcome to MMORPG

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Definitely going to give this game a shot, looks pretty fun.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Ugh, nvm, old posts.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The game is very pretty and I will try it out once it get an open beta or a free trial.

That said, it is not top of my hype list. Korean games usually are shallow and grindy so new ones will have to prove themselves for me before I get hyped for them.

I will neither say it is great or suck until I tried it, thanks.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Loke666

The game is very pretty and I will try it out once it get an open beta or a free trial.

That said, it is not top of my hype list. Korean games usually are shallow and grindy so new ones will have to prove themselves for me before I get hyped for them.

I will neither say it is great or suck until I tried it, thanks.

Korean games generally require a good community who want to create rivals and drama on their own