Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice Rig? Want the BEST possible graphics out of this game? look here!(Nvidia only sorry)*updated* n

Read my notes first before clicking on the link below because some things in the guide linked need to be altered

First if you have anti-aliasing turned on through the ini tweak erase that line or put it to = 0, then set the in-game AA to low if you do not do this you may have issues with some spell effects like lightning not showing up and hologram characters might be missing.

On page 2 of the guide it has you set one of the settings to ENHANCE the correct setting for this is OVERRIDE any application settings

At the top section you should see an option for Antialiasing Compatability this needs to be set for 0x0000F0C1 it says (S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Call of Pripyat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Clear Sky, S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl) in the drop down menu for that option

now depending on your rig you can set this up how you like for better quality graphics. I run a sli 560 ti setup with a 2600k cpu running at 4.7Ghz

My settings are

********EDIT*********** recently switched to these new settings and found it looks about the same and is less taxing on my gpus since you aren't using SSAA but MSAA instead. Still testing new settings though.. I also can run high shadows with these settings and maintain my 40-60fps here' a good writeup of SGSSAA ************

Antialiasing - Setting = 4X MSAA

Antialiasing - Transparency = 4x Sparse Grid

I also turn shadows off usually because no matter what you cannot anti-alias the shadows in this game so they look like crap no matter hwat and just take up valuable resources. With shadows off I can maintain 60fps most of the time with these settings and my setup.. Also with shadows off turning the shader complexity to low nets you an extra 5 or so FPS

for people with super rigs like multiple gtx 580's or better try

Antialiasing - Setting = 8xQ

Antialiasing - Transparency = 8x Sparse Grid

now for people with good but not great systems set

Antialiasing - Setting = 2x Msaa

Antialiasing - Transparency = 2x SGSSAA

or if that's still to slow

Antialiasing - Setting = 4x MSAA

Antialiasing - Transparency = supersampling (can also try 4x or 2x supersampling)

people with even lower end systems can try

Antialiasing - Setting = 4x MSAA

Antialiasing - Transparency = OFF

Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling = enabled

ok so now here is the original guide but its out of date so follow the instructions I provided using the guide as a visual representation also it has the download link for nvidia inspector

http://ipkonfig.com/bring-%E2%80%982x-sparse-grid-supersampling%E2%80%99-anti-aliasing-to-swtor

dont forgot to set antialiasing behavior flags to NONE!

any questions or issues let me know ill try and help

heres some example shots... now of course this does not make high res textures or anything but really helps the overall look of the game

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3728/swtor2012011116122717.png

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/6170/swtor2012011116135635.png

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9817/swtor2012011116142525.png

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5831/swtor2012011116165571.png

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3236/swtor2012011116171234.png

for those interested in enabling FXAA look around and get the 295.18 driver series. This is a beta driver not avaialble yet from nvidias site but its not hard to find around the net. Now with this driver simply go into your  Nvidia Control Panel and go to the 3d settings. There you will see a new option FXAA!. Now just enable this global and it will be on for anygame that supports it. Also this works fine in conjunction with my guide and nvidia inspector

Final Note: play around see what works best for you and let me know.. I'm always switching between differn't combos of AA and TrSSAA trying to find what works best for my system. You many also find certain objects edges will shimmer or have jaggies no matter how high your settings are just must be an issue with the engine itself.

EDIT  note on blurring from sgssaa. To fix this look at nvidia inspector and you will see an option under texture filtering that says Negative LOD Bias make sure this is set to allow. Then above that LOD Bias(DX9) set this to at least -2 for 4x for 2x -1 works.. more negative LOD bias is the sharper it will make textures but it will adder shimmering of textures ot distances.. so play around and find what works best. Some should have no issues with 4x or 8x sgssaa and maxing out the LOD at -3...

happy gaming

Comments

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Thats the best I've seen the game look that said its still junk compared to any other AAA title this year.

Sic Luceat Lux

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Good advice on the setup. I have found that playing the game from my SSD drive makes a large difference as well. 

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Spalliero

Thats the best I've seen the game look that said its still junk compared to any other AAA title this year.

i thought so at first but played this for a month and went and re-tried rift after not playing for a few months cause I noticed I had a few days left on my 3 month sub and found swtor looks a hell of a lot better than rift and with my settings this game blows rift out the water aside from shadows which suck big time in this game. As far as I remember rift is only other AAA MMO released this year.

Originally posted by catlana

Good advice on the setup. I have found that playing the game from my SSD drive makes a large difference as well. 

ahh yes forgot I got 128GB SSD I play from as well:)

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

It's just the textures.

The existed in earlier betas.  The game was choppier and whatnot... but it looked much better.

It appears the game can't handle higher-res textures and deliver performance per Bioware's response today.

HERO engine FTW!

Originally posted by fadis

It's just the textures.

The existed in earlier betas.  The game was choppier and whatnot... but it looked much better.

It appears the game can't handle higher-res textures and deliver performance per Bioware's response today.

HERO engine FTW!

yea textures suck but enabling super sampling and sparse grid cleans up all those jaggies cuts out almost all the texture flickering you see when running around and smooths out the entire image.. the actual quality of the textures is not changed in the least but overall the game is night and day to me if I turn nvidia inspector off and play with default graphic settings

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by sanosukex

i thought so at first but played this for a month and went and re-tried rift after not playing for a few months cause I noticed I had a few days left on my 3 month sub and found swtor looks a hell of a lot better than rift and with my settings this game blows rift out the water aside from shadows which suck big time in this game. As far as I remember rift is only other AAA MMO released this year.

He most likely was talking about upcoming MMOs.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by RizelStar

ahh duh lol forgot its 2012 already... :P well yea can't argue there...

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by RizelStar

ahh duh lol forgot its 2012 already... :P well yea can't argue there...

Ha ha yea I forgot the other day as well. Put 1-10-2011 on one my documents.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Any way to reduce the shininess of the player character models?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Originally posted by pharazonic

you talking like the shiny bright lighting? or the glossy look? for the bright patches of lighting sort of.. disabling bloom helps..  I hate using bloom usually but for whatever reason without bloom you get no hologram chars so maybe after patch this will be fixed also that in combination with lowing your gamma usually works for me.. I run the game around 20% gamma right now

as for the glossy sort of look don't think you can do anything for that.

oh also depending on your monitor Id play with the picture settings there can have pretty big effect on games sometimes depending on monitor

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

you talking like the shiny bright lighting? or the glossy look? for the bright patches of lighting sort of.. disabling bloom helps..  I hate using bloom usually but for whatever reason without bloom you get no hologram chars so maybe after patch this will be fixed also that in combination with lowing your gamma usually works for me.. I run the game around 20% gamma right now

oh also depending on your monitor Id play with the picture settings there can have pretty big effect on games sometimes depending on monitor

I think it's the glossy look I am referring to... basically you don't really see it elsewhere like on buildings, or objects in the world. 

Thanks though.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

I think it's the glossy look I am referring to... basically you don't really see it elsewhere like on buildings, or objects in the world. 

Thanks though.

another thing to try is turning the shader complexity to low and adjust the gamma up a bit and see if that doesn anything.. for you

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Any news on something like this for ATI users* bro?

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

Originally posted by Guileplayer

theres two programs I know of that can do similar things BUT i haven't had ATI in many many years so not sure if they work in swtor.. anyway they are http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/ and http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733.. you would have to do some searching around to see if they work for swtor.. good luck!:)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

These space invader shadows seem to be a new thing, look at skyrim, nice looking game  in most aspects, but  got thoose same silly block shadows as swtor

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

just open catalyst, choose the have AA managed by hardware instead of software and away you go.  You wont break it.  Just remeber to set it back to let software manage it for your other games.  GameBryo / Hero is a AMD friendly engine, we actually have less issues than nVidia peeople with these games (unlike many others).

Worth doing - my FPS actually went up putting it on 4X over none.  Bear in mind i have a fairly high end card though a 6870, your saying Ati rather than AMD which makes me think an older card?

Originally posted by ShakyMo

just open catalyst, choose the have AA managed by hardware instead of software and away you go.  You wont break it.  Just remeber to set it back to let software manage it for your other games.  GameBryo / Hero is a AMD friendly engine, we actually have less issues than nVidia peeople with these games (unlike many others).

Worth doing - my FPS actually went up putting it on 4X over none.  Bear in mind i have a fairly high end card though a 6870, your saying Ati rather than AMD which makes me think an older card?

yea I heard you can force MSAA through ati's control center but I doubt you can force Supersampling(SSAA not Transparency SS, usually transperancy supersampling is an option in control centers but not SSAA) and highly doubt you could force sparse grid which is what really makes the game look great.. Regular MSAA helps but not very much and with regular MSAA I got a ton of shimmering textures when I moved with my setup I hardly get any at all

• boubhsboubhs Member Posts: 73

If this is the BEST possible graphics then the game really sucks man...

Hero engine FTW! Good job BW!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179

here's one more shot for you guys that I just took

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1633/swtor2012011121130500.png

That does look really good.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Yet doesn't look any better than the default with AA added. I've tried every text config imaginable and there is so little difference that i just don't get people saying things look good in comparison. I think the game looks great as is so don't get me wrong.

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Yet doesn't look any better than the default with AA added. I've tried every text config imaginable and there is so little difference that i just don't get people saying things look good in comparison. I think the game looks great as is so don't get me wrong.

its hard to see in just screenshots its mostly about how it looks in motion.. with the ingame AA you still get a ton of shimmering/flickering textures the longer distance objects AA is still pretty bad.. sparse grid cleans all this up and almost gets rid of all the shimmering.. ini tweaks dont help at all for this stuff

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

And the winner of 2005 best graphics game is ... oh wait

Originally posted by thedarkess

And the winner of 2005 best graphics game is SWTOR!

it's funny when I played in beta I was pretty upset with the graphics and just recently I decided to try all the past MMOs I haven't played in awhile that went F2P. First was conan even with my sli geforce 560 Ti setup, 2600k at 4.7ghz, SSD hd turning everything to ultra caused major slowdown and honestly didn't look all that great at all(for some reason I rmeember this game looking lot better I dunno was so long ago). Fired up LOTRO not even close, some enviornments look very good but character models, animations, everything else is horrid... so fired up Rift.. graphics are ok but AA suport is horrid and nothing you can do to fix it. Thing I like about swtor is how I can use any combo of AA i want it supports sparse grid it supports FXAA, supports CSAA, can run SSAA, can run SGSSAA. My big issue with graphics is shimmering/flickering textures and jagged edges on textures. For me just MSAA does not get rid of most of this and pretty much all games out there only mostly support MSAA. Some you can force other types but it brings the game down to a crawl. 

My big issue with SWTOR is the low res textures and the horrible shadows. Shadows have no way to improve there resolution or reduced the blockyness and well the texture thing.....yea