Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Happened?

cavsct94cavsct94 Member Posts: 3

I played Eve Online from the first beta through June of 2003. I thought about reactivating my account to see what has happened there since then. As I recall, my corporation was one of the first to get a Blackbird BP and we were cranking them (and several other ships) out before we all quit.

Anyone give me an idea on how much has changed since that time and what I can expect? Thanks.

Comments

• ixproixpro Member Posts: 3

What happened since beta? M8 it's impossible to describe in a single post... so many things all around the place. I've been playing EVE since Beta 5, have done it all: pirating, trading, npcing, missions, alliance warfare, merc corps, production giants, etc... and I still love it. EVE remains one and only MMORPG I play.

The game has so much depth and potential to offer but only 10% of it is really happenning atm. EVE is PvP-centric, with an enormous potential for trade, mining, industrial logistics, and so much more. The only part of the game that's really striving is senseless PvP. Killing each other for no reason behind it no matter what other people say. It all turned into CS in space. Pimple-faced armies of eBay-powered pilots are striving for one thing which is the most important to them - kill points. Tons of Kill Mail Systems (KMS) have spung up all over the place...

You get no respect for rolling out a fleet of 20 heavy battleships in 2 weeks time with only 5 members, you get called "carebears". But if you get a fleet of 40 and destroy the above mentioned 20 in a gank-fest, you get to call youself a l33t PvP3r, and brag about it on the forums. Basically the game came down to 1 thing nowdays, kill more sh1t and you're God. I've been doing a little bit of everything, maintaining a healthy balance of activities, that's why I'm still playing and I haven't burned out. If you're interested in giving this game another try, let me know, I'll generate some buddy-keys for you.

EVE-Online: the best online sci-fi roleplaying game with the worst collection of characters playing it.

Cheers ::::20::

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by ixpro
    What happened since beta? M8 it's impossible to describe in a single post... so many things all around the place. I've been playing EVE since Beta 5, have done it all: pirating, trading, npcing, missions, alliance warfare, merc corps, production giants, etc... and I still love it. EVE remains one and only MMORPG I play.The game has so much depth and potential to offer but only 10% of it is really happenning atm. EVE is PvP-centric, with an enormous potential for trade, mining, industrial logistics, and so much more. The only part of the game that's really striving is senseless PvP. Killing each other for no reason behind it no matter what other people say. It all turned into CS in space. Pimple-faced armies of eBay-powered pilots are striving for one thing which is the most important to them - kill points. Tons of Kill Mail Systems (KMS) have spung up all over the place...You get no respect for rolling out a fleet of 20 heavy battleships in 2 weeks time with only 5 members, you get called "carebears". But if you get a fleet of 40 and destroy the above mentioned 20 in a gank-fest, you get to call youself a l33t PvP3r, and brag about it on the forums. Basically the game came down to 1 thing nowdays, kill more sh1t and you're God. I've been doing a little bit of everything, maintaining a healthy balance of activities, that's why I'm still playing and I haven't burned out. If you're interested in giving this game another try, let me know, I'll generate some buddy-keys for you.EVE-Online: the best online sci-fi roleplaying game with the worst collection of characters playing it.Cheers ::::20::

I agree to some extent. This is the case for alot of people. Certain alliances such as BoB and 5 are really only interested in ganking or invading other alliance space. They have no industrial goals nor do they role play. They play simply to pad their killboard stats and brag on the EVE-O forums. With that said their are alot of people that do try to be constructive. They are trying to build empires in low security space to open it up and make it safe for the industrialists. While some people want to call the builders and traders carebears they forget that without these carebears we wouldnt have ships to fly lol. There are some griefers out there who spend their time pirating or extorting smaller corps or mission runners. All i can say about those type of people are - It's EVE and its a rough universe out there.. watch out for them. Alot has changed just in the last year and by years end pirates and alliances like BoB and 5 are going to have a rough go of it. Cosmos will put alot of power into the controllers of a region and make it pretty hard for an enemy alliance to invade.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Bah, there is a large difference between a carebear and an industrialist.

For example, a carebear would be a multi-billionaire who owns all BS BPO's, about 20 BS's, tons of T2 BPO's and when we go to pvp, he brings a T1 frigate. You'd think, yeah right ? But, thus was the case with ALOT of Xetic Corps a few months ago and is still the case with quite a few people around the game.

Industrialists are simply people who realise that manufacturing modules and ships in the game is actualy quite a complex, entertaining and useful thing to do in the game. When push comes to shove however, these are the guys flying in their mining BS's to go lock-up a system or shoot a station down. On that same path, pvp'ers aren't without the carebear spirit within, ALOT and I mean ALOT of pvp corps have sister corporations where people use alts to rack up the ISK for their pvp mains (and to play with when they log off in ennemy territories when they notice there is 6 bubbles on all exit gates). ::::18::

And for all who think carebears know the best ways to make cash, [DDC] with the help from several friends from <ASCN> pulled off a all day mining op the other day and pulled in over 100M tritanium and enough of everything else to produce ourselves 2 freighters (hey, all the BPO's will be getting some use) ::::28::

At the same time , that should help to answer the topic's original question of "what's happened", major alliances (in-game alliances are now recognized) are pushing to get BFS (Freighters and Dreadnaughts) and also looking at building outposts (conquerable stations that can be built by players).

Corps => Form Alliance => Claim Region => Fight For Claimed Region => Rabble Rabble Rabble => Player-Owned Stations => Freighters => Dreadnaughts => Outposts => MAJOR exploitation of ressources (Minmatar Outposts 4TW) => (More Rabble ?)

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Originally posted by cavsct94
    I played Eve Online from the first beta through June of 2003. I thought about reactivating my account to see what has happened there since then. As I recall, my corporation was one of the first to get a Blackbird BP and we were cranking them (and several other ships) out before we all quit. Anyone give me an idea on how much has changed since that time and what I can expect? Thanks.

Tons have changed. CCP keeps changing the game, which generally ticks off this or that part of the playerbase but otherwise is generally good. The biggest change is coming later this year with the COSMOS expansion which is going to redraw the map in terms of jumpgates, making regions more relevant than is currently the case.

Right now it really depends on what you want to do. Sure there are a lot of numpties flying around in 0.0, but that's nothing really that new. There are more ships, better outposts and, when the map changes, there will be a really different dynamic in battle and territory, so there are plenty of interesting days ahead.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Actualy, the map has already been redrawn, if you've flown through the game recently, there are MANY new passageways which have been changed due to the assassination of our fair amarrian emperor. The boarders between Amarr/Minmatar and Caldari/Gallente space have gone from 10-15 jumps to over 30 in certain regions. There has also been alot of 0.0 pockets opened up by cross-linking alot of passages to deep space together.

The previous has made for very interesting relations between alot of alliances, since people from other alliances can now save time by traveling through often not so friendly space, there have been an unusualy high number of "incidents" since the patch release.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

Yes Ive noticed its changed a bit ... Cold War idea. It's an interesting change. My understanding is that more map/jump changes are coming in a later patch as well.

• RuvenRuven Member Posts: 9

Hmm... But if any of you guys read the interview with the Eve Online Producer, it seems like there's still a load more interesting stuff coming out with the Kali expansion. Titans - yes those awesome things, Carriers and factional warfare. Finally, we can have some of those picturesque scenes where player Empire patrols are ambushed by rogue alliance pirate raiders. Or the Amarr Empire launching crusades to claim back systems, led by a vanguard of players. Or the Minmatar Republic mobilizing alongside the Gallante Federation to liberate slaves still held under the yoke of Amarrian rule. Or Caldari State captains going head-to-head the Gallante Federation in the Second Caldari-Gallante War. Imagine that. Or if new players aren't quite used to the chaotic situation at the borders, they can still remain within the core systems of their respective Empires, leading relatively quiet and secure lives in minimalist satisfaction. When they get their confidence, they can sally forth, or defect to one of the superpowers growing beyond the borders of Empire space. Ahh... The possibilities. image

• DirossDiross Member Posts: 179
    What ever happened with the rollout of the Jovian race and the rest of the Exodus (Shiva) expansion content that was promised but never realized in-game? Has anything been mentioned about it? 

Eve-Online, EQ2, DnL, SWG (Dead), Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, EQ, DAoC, Planet Side, WoW, LOTR, Tabula Rasa.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Still no Jovians to be found. I don't pay too much attention to promises. The expansions are free so whether they choose to put in everything they have in developement or not doesnt really matter me. If i was paying for the expansions i'd feel differently but i'm not.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Jovians. It's possible that the Jovian space would be opened if CCP goes all the way and actually has the Cold War develop into a hot war (or wars), but I don't expect that we will see Jovians as a playable race because it would be very imbalancing to do that.

There is more content coming in Kali, which is due around the end of the year/beginning of next year, and there's always something being worked on or looked at for tweaking.

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

The devs have been playing the Jovians up to now.

There has been some events but the Jovians then dissappear back to their own space. Space which we cannot reach yet due to our poor technology. :-)

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

We have, or at least had the technology to reach Jovian space. Used to be you could set your clone to a system in jovian space and thus pod jump over there. Baren wasteland, but something to do. Now it has been changed so that you can only set your clone in stations you have already visited, problem solved. As for playing the Jovian race, why bother when the devs can use them to their hearts content to release new technology into the game? I.E. thats where we got our magical cloaking devices and most likely where we will get our titans from. As for building Titans I can only imagine the pain in the ass it is going to be. We have stripped two systems of veldspar and still dont have enough trit to build a freighter. And just imagine an outpost requires three times the ammount of trit. All together in mineral costs for the freighter I think its around 700mil and thats not including the freighter bpo and component bpo's that are a bil a piece. I would place a dread around a bil mineral cost + 12 components and a titan at 3bil mineral cost and a sacrafice of your first born.

• DirossDiross Member Posts: 179

Sorry to hear about the Jovians. The storyline for them has been one of the most anticipated aspects in the game since Eve-online's lauch back in 2003 and it would be a total waste of storywriting and intrigue in the game for CCP just to trash it.

So, tell me this.. how is travel time now that the Cold War is officially on? I remember it taking me about 2 hours to jump 75+ gates in a BS from deep 0.0 to empire space. How long would it take now that the highways and systems have been changed?  Thanks.    image

Eve-Online, EQ2, DnL, SWG (Dead), Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, EQ, DAoC, Planet Side, WoW, LOTR, Tabula Rasa.

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

0.0 for the most part is the same, supposedly they added more choke points. The devs certainly had it out for Yulai I used to min 5 jumps from there now its about 24 jumps. I'm guessing the overall goal is to keep people confined to certain regions. But, IMO, I did not enjoy having to move all my stuff out of Yulai to our new base of opps. But, it did go much faster once I learned that repackaged frigs and inties are only 500m3 now.

And there have been random jovian encounters. Back in NSA days they entered Deklein and anchored some cloaked device by a planet. CA was actually able to destroy the Jovian ship before the module was anchored and then recovered it. As to what it does and what if any story line it will play a part in, I have no idea.

So, tell me this.. how is travel time now that the Cold War is officially on? I remember it taking me about 2 hours to jump 75+ gates in a BS from deep 0.0 to empire space. How long would it take now that the highways and systems have been changed?  Thanks.    

It hasnt impacted 0.0 much other than a few more entry points. The main change was basically dismantling what we knew as the "highway" in Empire, meaning that travel *between* regions (and between Empires) has gotten 3-4x as long in terms of jumps. You can mitigate that with instas to some extent, as always, but even with instas there is a significant difference between a 4 jump route and a 16 jump route, so the idea is to encourage people to play more regionally, to establish regional markets. It's also been a tremendous boon to Empire piracy in the short term as players get used to new routes that they havent insta'd yet, and the autopilot leads through many more low sec empire systems than was the case with the highway.