Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have they done to this game?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I really do not see the point of them adding more levels if all they're going to do is make the first half of the game pointless. I haven't come close to dying once and even grouped content can be done solo and it all feels pathetic. It feels like the game is on a beta server and they've made everything easy to get people through to test later content quicker. It's like unless there is a challenge the game isn't fun, I just feel like I switch my brain off and go on auto pilot. 

Alot of the new quests feel very broken because they feel like they're trying to do more than the engine allows. It's like playing a browser based games where you click on the UI and then watch the game do something. It's very hard to explain but the lack of physics or anything really makes things like turrets (for example) feel wrong. You drag the cursor along and the texture of where it lands is stuck to the floor and it instantly does damage to that area, it doesn't have any physics and take time to get there so they can dodge. It is really hard to explain this point but it is like the quests are trying to do more than the game engine can handle so it all feels broken. In turn it makes me prefer the older grind quests because at least they stay in what the game can do. 

Every new quest feels like a bad pun, satire or a refrence to a movie and it's all trying to be funny and misses. When the original WoW was trying to be funny it was because it was dotted around. Now every new quest is tyring to make you laugh and it wares thin very fast and just ends up making you hate the damn game. I don't know what the new DM is all about but the new boss at the end is so stupid....

Talking about dungeons I swear the party gained like 3 or 4 levels each while we were in DM. It is so dumb how fast you can level now, you barely have time to experience zones because you've completed it so fast and probably out leveled ones you would normally go to next. Like SLOW IT DOWN! If this is because you added more levels then why not stop adding levels? I mean they're so pointless and people don't buy a new expansion to go up 5 more levels. 

I just find the game so easy and boring because of it and it's so sad because I love how they've redesigned zones that were so boring in the past like The Barrens, Thousand Needles, Desolace and Azshara. To check to see if I remembered WoW correctly I played on an emulated Vanilla server and I died 3 or 4 times in the EF and I needed a group to beat Hogger lol. It is SO much harder compared and I'ved played EQ2 recently and it is way harder than what SOE have done with that game now too. It makes the game so fun when you could actually die because it becomes more of a challenge. I'm actually hooked and will continue to play on this Vanilla server, I just think it is so much better that what I recently played of WoW.

+ Flying mounts in the new game have so killed the world, you don't see any one anymore. The least they could do knowing they're adding in flying mounts is to u the draw distance.

Comments

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I always liked being able to kill things super-fast. Made me feel over-powered. 

I agree with you on the bad jokes they throw in the game. It's not clever or funny.

I liked leveling. I hate doing a 30 minute quest and seeing my xp bar go up a tiny sliver. I do think they could slow it down a little so you can experience the "world" aspect, because there really is nothing waiting for you at 85 besides sitting in queue in 1 city.

They still have about 3-4 million NA/EU subs, so they've definitely tapped into a vein of what people want: Instant gratification.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

I played World of Warcraft for 7 years.  I just stopped after this past BlizzCon.  People can flame me or whatever for saying this, but the World of Warcraft just doesn't seem so...mystical...anymore.  Like the original poster said, you don't get to enjoy the world.  The story or lore.  It's just: Go kill this and move on to the next quest giver. 

I think that is why I like Star Wars: The Old Republic.  I'm not saying it's better than WoW.  To each their own.  But SWTOR has the elements I personally prefer.  I can take my time to see the story unfold.  MY CHARACTER'S STORY.  It feels as if my character is the focus.  Not person number 9,089,996.  The game doesn't rush you.  But does keep you asking "What happens next?"

Again, this is just my personal opinion.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by tixylix

I really do not see the point of them adding more levels if all they're going to do is make the first half of the game pointless. I haven't come close to dying once and even grouped content can be done solo and it all feels pathetic. It feels like the game is on a beta server and they've made everything easy to get people through to test later content quicker. It's like unless there is a challenge the game isn't fun, I just feel like I switch my brain off and go on auto pilot. 

Alot of the new quests feel very broken because they feel like they're trying to do more than the engine allows. It's like playing a browser based games where you click on the UI and then watch the game do something. It's very hard to explain but the lack of physics or anything really makes things like turrets (for example) feel wrong. You drag the cursor along and the texture of where it lands is stuck to the floor and it instantly does damage to that area, it doesn't have any physics and take time to get there so they can dodge. It is really hard to explain this point but it is like the quests are trying to do more than the game engine can handle so it all feels broken. In turn it makes me prefer the older grind quests because at least they stay in what the game can do. 

Every new quest feels like a bad pun, satire or a refrence to a movie and it's all trying to be funny and misses. When the original WoW was trying to be funny it was because it was dotted around. Now every new quest is tyring to make you laugh and it wares thin very fast and just ends up making you hate the damn game. I don't know what the new DM is all about but the new boss at the end is so stupid....

Talking about dungeons I swear the party gained like 3 or 4 levels each while we were in DM. It is so dumb how fast you can level now, you barely have time to experience zones because you've completed it so fast and probably out leveled ones you would normally go to next. Like SLOW IT DOWN! If this is because you added more levels then why not stop adding levels? I mean they're so pointless and people don't buy a new expansion to go up 5 more levels. 

I just find the game so easy and boring because of it and it's so sad because I love how they've redesigned zones that were so boring in the past like The Barrens, Thousand Needles, Desolace and Azshara. To check to see if I remembered WoW correctly I played on an emulated Vanilla server and I died 3 or 4 times in the EF and I needed a group to beat Hogger lol. It is SO much harder compared and I'ved played EQ2 recently and it is way harder than what SOE have done with that game now too. It makes the game so fun when you could actually die because it becomes more of a challenge. I'm actually hooked and will continue to play on this Vanilla server, I just think it is so much better that what I recently played of WoW.

+ Flying mounts in the new game have so killed the world, you don't see any one anymore. The least they could do knowing they're adding in flying mounts is to u the draw distance.

Blizzard's first mistake was that they made character advancement system oversimplified instead of adding even more depth. After that with no serious building character system around its rather good they made lvl up faster cause the main thing u enjoy in rpg's is the character's progression which as i explained its dumbed down so ther eis no need to stay lot of time in low lvls. It becomes tiring and boring. I love long leveling systems but only ofc if the character progression system is deep,challenges the mind,addictive,has hard choises of what skills,perks,feats,talents to pick but hey they way they made it, wow is not that case.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

WoW is dying. But it will go on for many a year. I smell F2P-alike with the Blizzard Battle.net Balance around the corner and accrued game time earned via Diablo 3 as well as RMT AH. I will be sticking around for the opp to make some actual $$$ out of Blizzard instead of spending on them. I've seen the future and it works, and is work, hard hard work.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Totally agree on the difficulty level.  I found in some areas I could just set my pet to aggressive and it would just tear things apart in my wake without me having to do anything.

That said, I like the fast paced levelling.  if they could slow things down a bit just by making mobs a bit more challenging, I'd be happy.  The vanilla days were just way too grindy for me, and I like the new arching storytelling.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Seems like every MMO has this issue as they age, developers reduce the difficulty level of the old content in order for people re-running it to get through more quickly.

I wonder if there is an alternative, like say allow people who have max level characters reroll their next one at the last recent expansion level, say 5 or 10 back, so they can spend some time learning their new class.

However, rather than reduce the lower level difficulty, leave it the same but add special rewards (mostly cosmetic) given to players who create a character from the "ground up" so they can show their accomplishment.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Flying mounts were pretty cool when first implemented. But the abilitly to obtain one at level 60 has destroyed what was, to me, the best xpac of the game. Outland. The abliitly to fly over the entire area took away any challenge it once had.I played for six years and rolling alts was something all the long time players did and  Cata took away any desire I had to level a new toon after the first time through. Sure the game has changed, and to me the change is for the worse, but after so many years of playing any game is going to wear thin. I do have one level 85 toon but after getting geared once again to  do heroics, any desire to do them was gone. I also leveled two toons in BG also, one Ally and one Horde but grinding BG is still just a grind. Maybe someday, someone will make a game with other activiities than, grinding for gear so you can grind for better gear.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Agree with quite a few points with the OP.  But you have to remember that people are in a rush to lvl cap, that is true for any game though.  And with the content your referring to is as old as it is it will naturally be gone though at lightening speed.

I couldn't agree more with the lore aspect and the Warcraft feel is long gone sadly.  It is still there a lil bit but too much it is flooded with pop references, like the goblin starter zone quests.  I absolutely adore how they did the goblins except for one aspect... the overkill of tying it to the pop culture.  Same with the Worgen and the theatrical English resemblence.

But despite it all WoW still has the top notch instances and why I play it.  Quite 1/2 a year ago, went off to play SWTOR from buying into the hype but recently reactivated my WoW account with a server reroll for the grp content which SWTOR is lacking big time in and the whole reason I play MMOs.  The story is great there but if I really want an RPG story then I'd play Skyrim, DA:O, Arcanum. revisit some of the classics, and  numerous other titles that have great story.  I just feel that story has a very limited part in an  MMO and BW tried to make it a major focal point and can't justify a sub for their game.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by Rusty715

Maybe someday, someone will make a game with other activiities than, grinding for gear so you can grind for better gear.

This.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I can tell you that after playing for 7 years myself, I enjoy the pace of leveling. Of course, I have 8 level 85s, one that's about to hit 80 and another that is 63. So, I have experienced the leveling areas to the fullest.

Honestly though, I have leveled characters both with heirlooms (give bonus xps while wearing them) and without since the Cata changes. Without heirlooms, you go through all 5 levels of each zone and experiece all of the quests before moving on. Since there are multiple choices for each level in the 1-60 experience, you can really vary your experiences.

One thing I will agree with though, is that alternative forms of advancement should be developed. The level cap is getting pretty ridiculous in WoW. When MoP is released, it'll be 90 levels for a fresh character. Of course, at this stage in the game, making  a major change such as that might do more harm than good.

• PharkasPharkas Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Kyleran

Seems like every MMO has this issue as they age, developers reduce the difficulty level of the old content in order for people re-running it to get through more quickly.

I wonder if there is an alternative, like say allow people who have max level characters reroll their next one at the last recent expansion level, say 5 or 10 back, so they can spend some time learning their new class.

However, rather than reduce the lower level difficulty, leave it the same but add special rewards (mostly cosmetic) given to players who create a character from the "ground up" so they can show their accomplishment.

DAoC did something similar to this. When you got a max character, you next toon you roll can start at level 20 if you wanted to by typing a command on the new toon. They didnt alter the "starting areas" or anything like that.

• GameOvrGameOvr Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by slickbizzle

They still have about 3-4 million NA/EU subs, so they've definitely tapped into a vein of what people want: Instant gratification.

They had that many subs in Vanilla too.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Kaneth

I can tell you that after playing for 7 years myself, I enjoy the pace of leveling. Of course, I have 8 level 85s, one that's about to hit 80 and another that is 63. So, I have experienced the leveling areas to the fullest.

Honestly though, I have leveled characters both with heirlooms (give bonus xps while wearing them) and without since the Cata changes. Without heirlooms, you go through all 5 levels of each zone and experiece all of the quests before moving on. Since there are multiple choices for each level in the 1-60 experience, you can really vary your experiences.

One thing I will agree with though, is that alternative forms of advancement should be developed. The level cap is getting pretty ridiculous in WoW. When MoP is released, it'll be 90 levels for a fresh character. Of course, at this stage in the game, making  a major change such as that might do more harm than good.

They are adding some alternative level up in MoP and they added some others in Cata.

Cata added xp for harvesting crafting nodes that spawned the first ever character to level from 1 to 85 while remaining in 1st level gear, by just gathering flowers (it was a lot of flowers...). The LFD permits you to level your toon like that too or you can go the PvP route of which I know 0 cause I do not PvP. So 4 ways: harvesting, questing, pvping or instancing. Most people of course will take a bit of each instead of focusing on one.

MoP will add the pet combat game and maybe those pve scenarios will be way number 6, we will see.

And yeps, if you do not go to instances, do not use heirlooms, friend ressurections or what not, you will level up about at the same speed as the region. 5 levels per place. But go to instances and you will outlevel the content of the region you are in.

*Shrugs* SW:TOR works in the same exact way... with the added thing that you HAVE to do your class quests, you cannot just leave them in middle and fly somewhere else.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Magnetia

Originally posted by Rusty715

Maybe someday, someone will make a game with other activiities than, grinding for gear so you can grind for better gear.

This.

We have at least 2 contenders this year, we'll see how it works out.

Ironically, they are already criticized by some people for not offering enough gear grind ... -_-

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Pharkas

Originally posted by Kyleran

DAoC did something similar to this. When you got a max character, you next toon you roll can start at level 20 if you wanted to by typing a command on the new toon. They didnt alter the "starting areas" or anything like that.

Well, in the case of DAOC this was a classic example of how all features have both benefits and penalties, and it was largely determintal in that case. 

The /level 20,30 commands had a huge negative effect in that it turned Lvls 1-20 into a wasteland, hence my suggestion that there be some sort of incentive for players to start from scratch.

Also, in DAOC at the time, levels 20 and even 30 weren't that difficult to reach, to get the full benefit of it they should have probably gone with a /level 40 or even 45, because back then those levels scaled exponentially, and it could take almost as long to get from 40-50 as it did to get from 1-40.

The point of that feature was to let veteran players get to the Frontiers more quickly with their Alts, and the /level 20 didn't really do that very well. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon