Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Perfect Game (Pretty Long)

LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74

The purpose of this post is to discuss and suggest ideas on what would make the best MMO Game to Date. If you were the developer sort of thing.
I've been thinking about this for a long time now -the perfect (or close to perfect) MMO Game. (Well, I guess the "perfect" MMO won't be around until there's matrix-like technology for total emmersion.) So I will call this the "Best MMOG With What Technology We Have Today Game."
So lets get down to it. The way I see it (or the way I see it at the moment), there are about ten main things that make a good MMOG. graphics, pvp and battle, content and depth, lack of bugs, a point or drive, uberness, NON auto-attack!!, good social interaction, great diversity of characters and a sense of freedom.
Graphics: There's not much to say about this actually. I think the graphics of today are more than adequate for MMO games, as long as the system/bandwidth's good enough to run it. I believe that the vast majority of games coming out will satisfy my graphically. However there is something I've been wondering about. Now I haven't gone to college (yet) so I don't yet know a lot of the technical side of the question I'm about to ask, (maybe some of you could answer my question.), so here goes:
Why do graphics in MMO Games never seem to be as good as non MMO Games at the time???
I mean, what's stopping a game like Planetside from looking a little better along the lines of say, Unreal Tournament 2003? Just because it's massively multiplayer? I can understand that there's a lot of stuff going through the internet bandwidth instead of coming from a hard drive, but I don't see why that should hinder graphics. Just because a guy shoots a turbo laser cannon or whatever in Planetside, and does the same thing in UT2K3, but it looks better? I mean, can't the internet just be used to send the action through that the guy shot the gun in X direction at X player, the computer can handle the rest right? Basically, I think of the actions happening in a game, and the way they are displayed as two seperate things. Maybe some of you could elaborate on this.
Content and Depth: What's a good MMORPG without content and depth? This is where Planetside failed I think. I know, obviously being a FPS and not an RPG, it would inherently have less depth (well it doesn't have to but I can understand it), but I just got bored of the game. I think when someone want's quick, killing action type gameplay, they also want it now, not having to travel cross country to a battle and then "hack" a base. This would be okay if there was more of a point to the game, but it got so repetitive that I stopped playing. What I'm saying is, a person that feels like a fast paced action game probably does not feel like dealing with the traditional timesinks of MMORPGs unless there is substantial reward and depth to it. However I think Planetside is a real breakthrough game in regards to auto-attack in MMOGs.
NOT Auto-Attack!!!: I've had it with auto attack!! This is what makes MMORPGs so much more boring than they have to be. I can understand the reason for it, but now that Planetside has come out, I expect there to be more like it in the coming years. I would have hoped, however that the next generation games like Everquest 2 would not use auto attack, but I guess it's just not there yet. But can you imagine how awesome that'd be -a non auto-attack EQ 2?!! I imagine something like a MMO Morrowind, and I think we all know how cool that would be. I picture huge wars going on over some fort or something Helm's Deep style. Man, that would be cool...anyway, in my opinion, the faster they get rid of auto attack, the better for MMO games.
Good Battle System and PVP
Point or Drive to Play the Game: These are among the most important, since they make up most of the reason we play these games. In my opinion, PvP is inherently better than PvE, just how do we make a PvP system that allows for all the players to be happy? Well, what I think would be cool, would be a game where there is at least one huge battle going at all times. I'm talking MASSIVE, that would be going on all the time. Of course there would need to be a reason for the battle, and that is where the point or drive comes in. There is something that MMO games need more of and that is the ability for a player to change things more.
There needs to be an overall objective to accomplish at all times. I think one of the best ways to create this is a giant war raging in the game, one in which winning was actually attainable, but these wars would last a LONG time, like several months. There would also need to be a reward for all those on the winning side. It wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) have to be a tangible item reward, since if it were of any good use, it might greatly imbalance things for the next war. Reward could even be a change in story line in which the kingdom that loses enters a dark age of depression, while the winning kingdom enters an age of prosperity. Then another war could start over. And what would be even better, is if the world is large and complex enough so that there are several kingdoms. It could be like this: There are 10 Kingdoms and every 3 months or so the developers give out objectives toward winning a war and assign which kingdoms will be fighting which based on the story line of the game. First, it could be 5 wars going on between the 10 kingdomes, 1 on 1. Then, depending on who wins which wars, new alliances could be formed, and new battles will begin, perhaps what I said earlier about the winning sides getting a tangeable item reward COULD happen and the COULD be imbalanced, but maybe now, one of the winning sides will conspire against the other 4 and it will be a new war of 6 on 4, with the one powerful kingdom leading the other 5 to take back what's theres?
I think this is a good system that provides a way for the developers to tweak the system as needed to keep the story fresh and battles continuing and no one kingdom from getting TOO powerful. It could even come down to all 9 fighting against 1 ultra powerful kingdom. The develpers could allow this to make the story much more engaging and exciting. And of course, for all you non PvPers, fighting could be completely optional, you could just chill back at the Shire and be a blacksmith for the local Hobbiton Militia or whatever. PvP could be thought of as something like joining the army, not everyone would have to do it.
Also, what would be cool is a really good battle ranking system, with all levels and ranks having a certain ablity to command other players. Everyone would start out as a grunt except for the designated starting officers which could be determined perhaps during beta. Like beta testers that did well could apply to be automatically placed as officers right at launch of the game. So it could go from like grunt to squad leader to seargeant and so on, while the player gains more power and control in the army. I would like it if there was ONE single ultimate commander in each kingdom and then subordinates from there. Of course this person would probably be very hardcore, but that's the way it should be. And of course, they wouldn't have to play non stop. They could designate people to be in charge while they're logged out and all that. There would need to be something preventing it so that not everyone could easily become grand master admirals of their army with enough time spent. Maybe this could be done by giving each player in the army a certain number of points, which could be gained or taken away which would determine rank. This way, there could never be too many officers, yet there was always a chance for promotion. For example, grunt kills another grunt, gains 1 point to his starting 3 rank points and it takes say, 50 points to become squad leader. Then say another grunt manages to kill squad leader, gets 10 points, that kind of thing. And the objectives could change for getting points depending on rank. That's only my idea, I hope you all have ideas too.
Lack of bugs: This one's pretty self explanatory.
Uberness: What's an MMOG without content?; and what's content without uberness? What I really like about Star Wars Galaxies is that there is the potential to become an ultra powerful jedi character. Though there will be few of these characters, I still like the potential for people to get them. Even for characters that don't get them, it adds so much more story and flavor to the game and I think something similar to this should be included in most every MMORPG at least. Besides being cool, it would keep people playing. I know several people, me included, that quickly maxxed out their characters practically in SWG and now, pretty much the only thing keeping them playing is the drive to get a force sensitive character. I also like having a lot of uber powerful equipment in Diablo and EQ. And if my game was made just as I described it before, this could make for some very much ass-kicking. Imagine something to the effect of the first battle scene in the LOTR movie, where Sauron is bashing men all over the place, knocking them like 50 feet away from him. Oh man.....uberness.
Good Social Interaction: What I also like about SWG, is that the economy is very player driven. I don't really have any suggestions on improving this right now, it seems to be working well. Another part of good social interaction is communication. At least have a robust chat window with options but what would be really cool, is if they incorportated voice chat well into MMOGs, and what would be really, really cool is if they had a good voice recognition program so the character in the game would speak flawlessly what a player said into a mic. Though this would only really be cool if the voice recognition actually worked, lol. "Man, it sucks they nerfed my gliding ."
"What? Did you just say you bucked a smurf you were riding?"
Great Diversity of Characters: There's not much to say on this, developers seem to be doing this well. EQ2 will have 16 races at launch. Basically, just have a lot of classes that can change a branch with the characters growth, a lot of races, and add a ton of customization to the character. That sounds good to me!!
Sense of Freedom: Even though it's cool to have giant, organized war, it's still fun for some to free roam the lands and explore as an adventurer, entreprenuer, whatever. This shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Because what giant war raging would be complete without bands of roving mercenaries fighting for whoever will pay them, and bounty hunters w00t!!, etc.

Well, if you actually read all this, sweet. I just really felt there were things that developers should be doing more of and I felt like telling people and hearing what they had to say about it and what they might suggest to make an awesome game.

Comments

• VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115

I really like your war idea. I would also say that smaller battles are needed.  I know from playing DAoC that big battles are fun but so are small battles of 8 vs 8.

In a big battle you can kind of get lost. 

Also with war there can be alot more going on then just large battles. Scouting missions by small groups can be important to see where the armies are going.  Also I think that if there is a war there should be a large PVE component.

I have always thought that a large PvE war would improve the PvE aspect of a game.  Also for PvP wars you can earn/buy computer run guards. 

There could be a prestige factor that allows you to recruit loyal guards.(think Freedom force)

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74

Yeah maybe they could encorporate PVE into it somehow.  Like if you've ever played an Aeon in Warcraft 3, you know how there's always a ton of NPCs fighting each other.  Or a better example, Dynasty Warriors 2.  I guess that was basically the same thing, but this was from a first person perspective. 

Maybe when a person gains rank, they will get NPC players to control instead of real players?  But I still think it would be cool if players commanded other players, if that coud be done. 

But I guess having an Aeon kind of thing going on, where there are thousands of NPCs going at it in the war at all times would provide a way for developers to tweak the system to curve it towards the way they wanted it to be, with storyline or whatever.

• GokenGoken Member Posts: 5
    I like your style, Vanguardian, I think you have some pretty nifty ideas.  There are some things for the ultimate MMORPG that I think you maybe haven't considered...

Graphics: Theydon't really need much comment, they always pretty much serve em up as good as they can find em.  My only problem with a lot of the games out now is that they can make incredibly beautiful environments and not make them completely interactive.  If you can make the tree sway in the breeze, why can't I climb it!?  Sure a limb might snap and I might fall and hurt myself, but I'm willing to take that chance!!

Content and Depth:  You're absolutely right about this one, most games are a total snooze to me because you enter the game and its pretty much like "hey... now you can kill things!  really lots of things!  and you can do it in 5,000,000 different ways... with other people watching too!"  Big freakin deal.  Here's the optimal solution:

New characters enter the game, and they have a job.  Most people will probably want somewhat militant jobs.  They can be soldiers, scouts, members of a mercenary crew, low members of a thieves' guild, or pirates on a ship.  But the basic building block will be that you will start out AS something... the lowest of the low, but still something.  You will of course be able to choose your background and job of choice, so it won't be random.  Through resourcefulness and training, you will of course be able to be promoted in your job, and you can always go looking for a new one.  You could be a Caravan gaurd employed by the blacksmith guild to protect shipments... and from there work your way up to caravan master.  Or perhaps master blacksmith.  Maybe join the army when a war breaks out and use your existing references as a way to start with a higher rank.  For those that want to explore, there will of course be jobs for cartographers, spies, and scouts.  There's plenty of wandering jobs too, like minstrel or bard, diplomat or message carrier.  And for the player that is sure he wants to answer to nobody, it should be possible to make one's living Indiana Jones style, exploring and returning with treasure... though it would be no means be as easy as it is in most games, where that is the end all be all of the game.  Ok that's enough of that for now.

Not Auto-Attack:  You're right, that's lame.  I'm thinking that the technology is possible to create populatoins of the different living things in the world and to track them based on deaths and births.  This means you could depopluate an area of snaky things if you really want, though they might migrate back someday.  And of course, many battles should be with other players.  I'm thinking that if battle mode and normal mode are to be different, you should be able to change between the 2 at will.  This means that other could come along and "steal your kills" by joining your battle.  I don't care about that because experience will be given out based on what actions you take, how challenging they are, and how much you do it (not how many EXP the opponent is worth when it dies). 

Point or Drive of the Game:  Yes, the game should be heavily plot driven to keep players interested and to draw new players in.  I don't think there should NECESSARILY be a war going on at all times, but there certainly could be.  It should be possible for the war to have an end, and the winner to gain whatever it is they were fighting over.  I don't think there should be any forces in place to keep all sides equal, except maybe incentives for players to play as one side or the other if one is understaffed.  But if one Empire, City, or Kingdom grows to strong, don't complain to the game makers... do something about it.  Either form a rebelion and overthrow the gov't, or take over yourself and make it more benevolent.  Or move to another country and work to have other nations band together against it (like the topic author was saying). 

I disagree with that whole battle ranking thing.  Rank should be earned in an army like in any other job, through skill and quick wit.  If the character's skills aren't all that high, but the player plays very well and helps out his army, he could get a promotion.

Uberness:  Right on, this is very important.  That's one thing I think is lacking in Realms of Torment (new game coming out).  They have a cool skill system, but have made it so realistic its impossible to master more than 3 or so skills (not because there's a cap, but because your other skills start to deteriorate when you try to spend all your time getting new ones and don't practice old ones).  While this has a very realistic appeal, I think they may have gone too far (though I'll have to see when the game comes out).  I DO think they should definitely forget about leveling up and having super high hit points, and I'll tell you why in the following tyrade.

Levels and HPs:  Why they're lame

Levels and Hit Points were invented for pen and paper role playing games to simulate how when a person gets more skilled, he is harder to kill.  Why is he harder to kill?  Well, he's better at dodging, blocking, and minimizing the damage from things trying to kill him (or perhaps a Wizard has a mystical aura around him that reduces damage... whatever).  The point is that it used to be impossible to actually make statistics for blocking, dodging, mystical auras, and all that other stuff because it would take too long and take the fun out of the game.  But NOW the computer can do it!  There's absolutely no reason that a person should become a dragon just because he's been in 500 battles.  A dragon is huge, has thick hide, and very meaty body parts.  When a fighter gets experience and gets twice as many hit points... does he actually double in size and gain thicker skin?  NO!  So its about damn time we gave that fighter the blocking and dodging skills that he's earned, and stopped copping out and just giving Hit Points out like they're candy.  Not only will this make a more enjoyable and realistic role playing experience because you'll get you see your mastery at staying alive go up along with your mastery at killing OTHER things, but it will make it a little more approachable for new players.  Those new players will by all outward appearances be equals to experienced players.  They will have about the same hit points.  They just won't know which side of the sword to hold, and will probably get killed by the first angry sewer rat they come across if they're not careful.  The equality would come in with things like a ceiling falling on someone.  In real life a giant stone ceiling will kill a black belt just as quickly as my little sister, so don't gimme this high level hit point crap.   OK end or tirade.

So in conclusion, you can get Uberness by mastering lots of cool skills from experience DOING ACTIONS and training from distant masters in Arenas or Training Towers, and Ancient Tombs buried in ruins or in the locked part of the library.  Then you can bust out some crazy mad skills when war breaks out, attain fame and glory, be promoted to ArchMage of the Realm, and start ruling with an Iron Fist.  Cool eh? (this is just an example of Uberness of course, plenty other ways to do it)

Good Social Interaction:  Very important, I completely agree.  This will come along very naturally if a game is designed like we've been talking about.  If a person has a job and there are political tings going on, you're gonna have to talk to other people.  You might see stuff like this: "hey who was that that just rode away from the tavern?  Crap he's the guy I was supposed to assasinate by order of the king!  Say, anyone around here want to collect a bounty with me?"  Or even stuff like "what's all the excitement?  What, war's broken out?  The barony of Fantasia is trying to break away and the King is taking on every able bodied man for the fight?  Hot damn, time to sign up!"  And possibly even "did you hear the King's been assasinated and his sword stolen?  The archmage has proclaimed that whoever finds the king's sword will have his funding training for the royal tournament this year!  Why's that a big deal?  Cause the winner gets the crown!"

Diversity of characters:  I disagree, I think its sorta cheesy to have all these crazy lookin characters wandering around the same little town.  I think a MMORPG should be like a novel, and you rarely have fantastic races mixing freely amonstly eachother.  There auta be some of course, but it should be limited.  Certainly beginners will mostly see only other members of their own race, unless they're weirdos. :)  And of course, no classes or all by mad!  Classes do nothing but restrict your options.  I mean, I can always concentrate on being a Cleric if I want to and pray all the time... but what's to stop me from being the kleptomaniac Cleric and picking everyone's pockets while I'm at it?  If there were just skills, this and much more would be possible.

Well that's my 2 cents.  Or maybe its more like 2000 cents. ;)

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74

Goken, I totally agree with the idea about focusing less on HP and levels to make a char powerful and more on skills.  Besides being more realistic, it could look incredibly cool especially in a combat duel.  Reminds me of the beginning of the game, Shenmue, where Ryo's father fights Lan Di, and can't even hit him becase he moves all super fast with his hands behind his back.  That was hardcore.  Or kind of like The Matrix and how the agents would be effected by bullets like a normal person would if they ever got hit, but they almost never get hit.  Yeah, that's way better than just giving more hit points. 

I said before to have lots of classes that branch.  I agree that there wouldn't necessarily need to be classes.  It would be enough to just have a ton of skills, like I'll use SWG as an example as it takes pistol, carbine, rifle and support skills together to be a master marksman, maybe instead they could make them all just free skills and only one could be taken on, though in a sense I do like classes in they way SWG did it because otherwise it might just get too complicated.  I think that SWG does a good job of keeping it so you can put different skills into different things, so you could be a kleptomaniacal priest if those two classes were in the game, you would just be "class"ified as both a priest and a rogue.  I just think there oughtta be a whole lot more branching for more diverse player abilities and all the good things that entails.