Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best of 2011: Top 5 PC Games

ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

In 2011, the definition of a "PC game" became increasingly hard to quantify. Indies are flourishing in the space more than ever, and a number of popular PC games are making their way to consoles or even mobile devices. With so many options out there, it became harder to define the quintessential "PC" experience.

While PC gaming, by its loosest definition, includes any game that can be played on a PC, this year Gamasutra chose to only highlight games that are avaialble exclusively on the platform. That means no iOS ports, no console ports, just a single PC release as of 2011. 

5. Rift

4. Atom Zombie Smasher

3. The Binding of Isaac

2. Minecraft

1. The Witcher 2: Assasins of the Kings

I've played rift because but i just can seem to getting into the idea of paying 2 play. I hope SWOTR changes my mind.....or I hope it doesn't. Haven't played minecraft but the graphics are such a turn off for me. If they were to do all games including console ports I'm sure Skyrim and Battlefield 3 would be on the top of the list. The binding of Isaac just looks like a iOS game to me.

What do you think would be your top 5 PC games of 2011?

Comments

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Elder Scroll V Skyrim is the best game of 2011.

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by RedKatana

Yes but the article states they didn't put Skyrim is because they chose to do PC exclusives only. 

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

1.Skyrim
    2.The Witcher 2
    3.Trine2
    4.Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS 2011

These are only games ive bought this year i can't realy judge for other games.

Try tons of free 2 play mmo's this year see what they realy where and ive not found one that hold my attention so far.

Lineage2 longest week but its way to themeparky for me now game have lost it touch completely way to easy PVP is almost non excistence and its hold hand game now. Ive played L2 in beta and first two years of released back in 2003-4.

P.S Sorry i see PC only well then The WITCHER 2 and Trine 2 all tho they also will be released later on consoles.

The witcher 2 will be released soon on xbox and i already had feeling game was made for console if i look at the small maps world and movement combat and limited DX9 graphics engine its a console game but first released on PC only good thing was DRM system i applaud CDproject for this but its a console game.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Didn't realize it was PC exclusive only lol, Lets try this again...

1. The Witcher 2

2. Terraria

3. Magicka

4. Minecraft

5. Total War: Shogun 2

Honorable mentions: The Binding of Isaac, Frozen Synapse & Hard Reset

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Bastion.

That is all.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

how are you going to do a "PC only" list when 90% of games are released on multiple platforms

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

how are you going to do a "PC only" list when 90% of games are released on multiple platforms

It's tough lol

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by forest-nl

The witcher 2 will be released soon on xbox and i already had feeling game was made for console if i look at the small maps world and movement combat and limited DX9 graphics engine its a console game but first released on PC only good thing was DRM system i applaud CDproject for this but its a console game.

I just started playing The Witcher 2 recently and even though I'm practically playing it on the lowest settings, with only Bloom & Depth of Field turned on, so that my Radeon 5570 can run it smoothly and still the game looks better than all the Xbox 360 games I've played. That's probably why it's taking them over a year to port it unto consoles, cause it looks so damn good (especially the dynamic lighting). Sure the game made the controls easier to port on a console, yet there's still enough depth and variety that I can use my Razer Naga to play it.

As for my Top 5, I can't really make a list cause I've still yet to play Skyrim, Shogun 2 or Minecraft. So my list right now is:

3. Rift

2. Portal 2

1. The Witcher 2

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

1- bastion 

2- minecraft 

3- Terreria 

4- Magicka

5- Dungeons defenders

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

lol. Gamasutra is a skyrim-basher website. :))

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• nheL03nheL03 Member Posts: 23

WarCraft

Battlefield

DMC

i thinks so :)

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

This is the top 5 "Completed" games of 2011

Skyrim was released way too early

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

1 witcher 2

2 serious sam 3

3 terraria

4 SPAZ

5 the binding of isaac

p.s. minecraft isn't PC only - its a java game.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

1.Skyrim

2. Rift

3. Witcher 2

4. Saints Row Third

5. Portal 2

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by BethelsBoy

This is the top 5 "Completed" games of 2011

Skyrim was released way too early

Minecraft is "completed"?

Since when?

My picks:

1. Witcher 2

2. Skyrim

And I honestly don't remember any other games released this year that I played, that means the must have been meh.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Its amazing how many people take the time to add a response without bother ing to look at the critera. Games like Skyrim, Portal 2, Trine 2, Dungeon Defenders ect. being listed by multiple people. Id contribute, but this whole concept is fairly asinine.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

I think they consider Minecraft as a complete game since it has been officially launched.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

As i Type this Minecraft is a PC exclusive.

From what I read the 360 version of the game when it finally releases wont have multiplayer and the Mobile version of the game wont have survival mode for a while.

So in my mind the only version of the game anyone should buy is the PC version.

That's why I added it to my list.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Minecraft works on MAC and Linux
    Also has ios and Android versions
  • neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

In no particular order

The Witcher 2

Skyrim

Two Worlds 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Magika

Minecraft would be in the top 5 but I see it as a still evolving product.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Sonic 3 and Knuckles - on Steam.

• ChewybunnyChewybunny Member UncommonPosts: 52

1.roblox

2.skyrim

3.minecraft demo

4.world of tanks

5.team fortress 2

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

In no particular order.

Battlefield 3 (Multiplatform; PC version vastly superior)

Skyrim (Same as above)

Shogun 2 Total War (PC exclusive:  Consoles would melt if they try it)

A-10 (PC exclusive sim, but then again, hardcore sims are home on this platform)

Didn't buy that many new PC games this year.  But these I've enjoyed tremendously

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

1. Rift

2. SWTOR

Played Rift 3-4 months, and still playing SWTOR, but probably not past this month...Only games I have bought.  Debating on getting Skyrim, I like mmos, but the suck is unending the last 4-5 years....Hoping TSW is ok, and GW2 WvWvW is a blast.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Xthos

1. Rift

2. SWTOR

Played Rift 3-4 months, and still playing SWTOR, but probably not past this month...Only games I have bought.  Debating on getting Skyrim, I like mmos, but the suck is unending the last 4-5 years....Hoping TSW is ok, and GW2 WvWvW is a blast.

Why waste playtime and money on a genre that has discarded you?  Do what I did.  Leave MMORPGs but keep tabs on events for the genre.  And your playtime and money?  If gaming, play with something you *want* to play, not playing for the sake of playing.  Why waste your precious time on something you no longer enjoy?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)