Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I growing out of video games?

2»

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Games just suck these days compared to how they used to be that's why. Objective markers, glowing trails, hand holding etc has dumbed it down and made it too easy for people. I don't play much games these days except afew indie games with small communities which has only 1 or 2 things it does right. Just mostly old school stuff. Only modern game I like is Skyrim because it feels old school just with modern graphics. I'd probly still be playing UO if it didn't change so much. Some indie sandboxes are alright if you can put up with a small community and sometimes stupid admins / GMs etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by yaminsux

@OP

It's just you, when you played so many games. You be at a point you'll just generalized everything. For example, you said TOR is a re-skin WoW (which btw is a re-skin EQ). You felt you've experienced everything the industry have to offer, and indeed you are.

That being said, it's not entirely you though. Through the lack of innovative thinking, the industry is getting "stale". Much like the movie or the music industry.

edit: Suggestion? Leave gaming, do other stuff.

Everquest

World of Warcraft

I'm assuming you're in denial about SWTOR being a WoW Clone, and so you decided to say something stupid to make yourself feel better, but let's be honest you don't feel any better do you?

I hope this at least relieves one person of their ignorance.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Why do people have such a difficult time dealing with the possibility that they may have reached the end of their MMO player career?  Consider how many hours and years we've talking about, indulging one hobby day after day.  Can it entertain you forever?  Was that ever possible?

My suggestion to the op: stay the hell away from message boards.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Could just be you, the OP.

Reason I think so is, while I love MMO's too, I was never the type to play whatever I could get my hands on, as you said. I have always followed quality, not quantity.

So basically I think your just burned out, even tho the MMO's lately arent that good, basically cookie cutter, stll there are good games to play out there.

Take a break  :)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Icewhite

Why do people have such a difficult time dealing with the possibility that they may have reached the end of their MMO player career?  Consider how many hours and years we've talking about, indulging one hobby day after day.  Can it entertain you forever?  Was that ever possible?

My suggestion to the op: stay the hell away from message boards.

Why do people have such a difficult time dealing with the possibility that the EQ/WoW formula isn't the peak of MMO mechanics? If the industry would show a little innovation and get out of this rut they seem to be stuck in people wouldn't be getting burnt out on MMOs. EVE, CoX and a few others have shown us that you can leap out of the box and be successful. If some AAA developer would take a chance on some of the really stellar ideas that are floating around out there we may even see the 'WoW killing game' that a lot of people seem to be waiting for. They certainly aren't going to create it by copying EQ/WoW over and over and over ad nauseum.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Brenelael

Why do people have such a difficult time dealing with the possibility that the EQ/WoW formula isn't the peak of MMO mechanics?

And whoever said it was? 

Denial strategies call for finding an external source to blame for any issue.  It couldn't be that you're sick of  this genre entirely, it must be the specific subspecies.  (Could be both, actually).

Incidentally, as an ex-CoX and ex-GW player, I can attest that a radically different basic game model doesn't make for a game that's immune to burnout, or even offer any particular resistance to it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

My opinion is that you are correct. You are indeed growing out of games. It's not the games. People need to just stop with that shit. It's us. 

The best time you ever had is typically your first experience with a genre, after that, it slowly goes down hill. We think it's because the games are getting worse... they're not. You will never replace or relive the experiences from the past. It's part of getting older. 

As an example.. I keep hearing people refer to the games pre-wow. Let me say this from personal experience. I cut my MMO teeth primary with Shadowbane. I played a few before, but Shadowbane was the first game I really got into. And all I can remember is how awesome it was.... WAS... in 2003 - I went back before the game shut down in 2009 and suddenly remembered that the game was a buggy mess of poop. Laggy, buggy, boring - nothing to do but farm unless there was a fight, and those lagged so badly it was non-playable. 

But before going back, I didn't remember that. All I could remember was the great times I had with my buddies, a lot of which I still play with. Good times in game doing nothing. Good times in Team Speak. But the fact is, the game was technical nitemare and had about 3K players...lol. 

So, my opinion is that as we age and develope a palate, so to say for gaming, we become more harsh, more stubborn and abrassive. It's really not the games. It's us...

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Brenelael

Why do people have such a difficult time dealing with the possibility that the EQ/WoW formula isn't the peak of MMO mechanics?

And whoever said it was? 

Denial strategies call for finding an external source to blame for any issue.  It couldn't be that you're sick of  this genre entirely, it must be the specific subspecies.  (Could be both, actually).

Incidentally, as an ex-CoX and ex-GW player, I can attest that a radically different basic game model doesn't make for a game that's immune to burnout, or even offer any particular resistance to it.

I agree that any game played for an extended period of time can cause burnout but that wasn't my point. If there are other 'different' games to play that aren't some low budget indy stuff people can still play MMOs without getting burnt out on the whole genre. MMO does not have to equal EQ/WoW was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I'm sure there's a scientific term for it, but I like to call it the "reviewer" effect.

Any time someone spends a great deal of time partcipating in a particular thing they become increasingly experienced with it.  Imagine you're a food critic and you've been doing it for 10 years; you've eaten at the greatest restaurants in the world and you're discussing them with your fellow critics. How do you differentiate between what's excellent, and what's super super excellent?  Basically, your tolerance level becomes very sensitive and you accomodate fewer and fewer mistakes.

What nearly everyone would call amazing, you end up calling trash for the most insignificant of details. You might say that a soups broth is horrid as the bitterness of the spinach doesn't balance out the sweetness of the onion well enough. Something that your average patron might not have the palette to detect.

Same thing with literary critics, movie, music and so on.

Most gamers probably don't associate with the term "connoisseur" but think about what you have done; think about all the hours, days, weeks, months, even years you've spent invested in this singular specific hobby?  Without realizing it, you've built up a library of knowledge and experiences from which you draw every time you load up a game. You can't help but compare them all, that's just how the human brain works, you want to catalog, to rank, and to choose the optimal.

If you had devoted that time into a different field, say . . . automotive engineering, you would be regarded as an expert. You see this all the time, as in every time people apply for jobs. "How many years experience do you have doing ____?" It's a metric that people use to determine your level of expertise in a field.

I logged a miniscule 63 hours into Skyrim, I say miniscule because there are others out there in the hundreds. That's equivalent to a week and a half of full-time work hours. And that's just a single game.  Expand that to MMO's where people regularly put in 4+ hours per day. Think about how many times you punched in a skill rotation, that becomes ingrained in your mind, then when you play a different game you automatically know if something is "off". You can just tell that the skills don't fit together properly, that there's lag, that the animations don't match and so on. You are an expert (we just don't think of ourselves as such because this is our entertainment).

Is it possible to grow out of video games? Yes, absolutely.  Something will always be the best in your mind, it may or may not be replaced, and it's always more difficult to dethrone a reigning champion.

• VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by aovannor

Originally posted by Jimmac

Before giving up on games entirely, I would recommend you check out gog.com. They sell good old games from the past for cheap. I just bought like 13 old games for 40 bucks for myself for Christmas, since there is a 50% off sale on most of the games.

This,

for games like Planescape torment for $4.99 working perfectly on Win7, bargin:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

with a link to a really good mods guide in the description.

Seriously, thanks! This appears to be a gold-mine of awesomeness.

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

What's wrong with age? We had our grandpa in our guild in EQ2, his nickname was Rocksolid and he was 62 or sumthing. In voice chat he always said, "i had to pick up my grandchildren".