Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strangely addictive... but why?

Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

I will just start off by saying that I have played the majority of p2p, f2p, p2w, freemium, etc, MMO's on the market.

When I first saw this game, I was certainly turned off by the "No quests" functionality of the game. I hate grinding if the only thing awaiting me is an increase in my level, but for some reason, this game is grabbing ahold of me. While it is not the game for everyone, I find myself strangely drawn to it. I LOVE old school turn based strategy games, IE FFTactics, Disgaea, Fire Emblem, etc.

I also love crafting and generally try to craft in every game I play. While Wakfu's crafting is by no means complicated, it is merely, gather A and gather B, then hit combine (with a % chance to fail if your skill isn't high enough). Almost every thing you can gather is a craftable material in some fashion.

From what I have formed thus far, you can litterally craft almost everything in the game. There is no limit to how many professions anyone can have either. My gaming experience is limited thus far, as I am only level 13 after a few hours of game time (I'm playing a slow leveling healer), but I have managed to craft an item from every profession. Be it Bakery, Chef, Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Jewelry, Leatherworker, and Tailor (possibly others, but I can't think of them. There was a lot). On the other spectrum, there are the gathering professions as well. Trapper (harvesting wool for example or butchering animals), Farmer, Lumberjack, Herbalist, Fishing, and Mining (I'm sure I am forgetting one).

As I hinted too before, this game is not a AAA title, but I think it may hold a nice little niche for itself for those who do not want an overly serious game and those who enjoy turn based strategy and those who enjoy crafting.

For now, I will continue playing and enjoying myself. It is great for when I need a gaming fix without a lot of stress.

Just my 2 coppers.

-Karnage

Comments

• grahf2k7grahf2k7 Member UncommonPosts: 10

hate to sound like a mooch but ive been looking everywhere for a beta key :( do you have any left to give away from valentines im dying to play this game....again sry for sounding like a mooch:(

• kevinsalkevinsal Member Posts: 27

Same here.. I started playing because of Square Enix, but it is actually fun.  I was a huge fan of FF:T and this takes it to another level.  Very impressed.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Massively just had another 1000 Betakey give away like 2 days ago

the problem is, non of us know, it's like It's random day, and the ones that are lucky enough to be on that page at that day got the key, while the bunch of us who have been waiting since 31st Jan never get the change

heh, it's sad that you just had to camp the massively website to get yourself a key since i guess they are gonna release another 1000 and i dont know when

----------------------

Anyway, i managed to grab myself a beta key, and i have been playing for around 3 hours now

i gotta say, Congrats Ankama, Wakfu is the 1st MMO since WoW that i actually put attention into read all the beginner tutorials, and really go through all the UI and stuffs reading them all, which i have never bother anymore on the recent MMO, usually i would just keep on clicking next, ok, next, ok, but Wakfu have got my attention for the 1st time in like years

i dont know, i mean, sure they dont have NPCs, but strangely, as the OP says, i am just drawned into  the world

my main problem is, i dont know if all the players there are bots or just a French that refuses to talk to English speaker

So What Now?

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

1 conclusion after playing Wakfu for 3 weeks

if you dont speak french, dont bother to play during CB, and you can only wish that in OB, more englis players will pop up, otherwise, you will suffer from the game's lack of communication between French players

So What Now?

• DoggettDoggett Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by TweFoju

1 conclusion after playing Wakfu for 3 weeks

if you dont speak french, dont bother to play during CB, and you can only wish that in OB, more englis players will pop up, otherwise, you will suffer from the game's lack of communication between French players

Did you choose the english server in the dropdown? I haven't seen many frenchies around myself.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

People keep trying to get other gamers interested in this game, but until they make it more accessable you may as well stop. The game is modeled after Doofus which was a P2P game. Nothing wrong with that, but the slow gameplay (turn-based is often compared to jRPGs which, somehow, became a dirty word among RPGers, don't ask me why), the tiny character sprites and childish graphics, most gamers are put off and it ended up a niche game. People have recently started complaining on these forums that Wakfu is a ghost town, and when I look at gameplay videos and basically see Dofus 2.5, I can see why.

As for me, I love turn-based games, especially turn-based strategy. Tactics Ogre and Disgaea have been my constant go-to-when-bored console games for years now. But would I pay a monthly fee to play them? No. Is it a large fee? No, but it's still money I could put toward things I would enjoy far more.

Enjoy the OB experience while you can. Although considering how long the game's been in beta, that might actually be quite a while. When it launches (if ever), should they ditch that sub fee, I'll see you there.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Addictive? It's a skinnerian box, plain and simple.

A pity really, I love the rest of the game (in beta atm) and would really love to play and sub to it, but the "collect xp to gain levels to unlock things" gameplay is totally killing it for me.

It's just adding crafting grind to combat grind. You have a level 10 bread and level 50 bread. Of course level 10 bread becomes obsolete and useless once you start making level 20 bread. It's just the same old "grind to max level and than look around bemusedly" thing.

A skinnerian box.

Real shame. It could have been such a great game if they only started thinking outside that DAMN BOX!

WTF? There are so many wonderful eco-godgames of old which did not use the damn xp/level/unlock thing - the Settlers series for example! But oh no, we wanted our xp/level/unlock thing just like damn FARMVILLE!

• XxSyCxXXxSyCxX Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

A pity really, I love the rest of the game (in beta atm) and would really love to play and sub to it, but the "collect xp to gain levels to unlock things" gameplay is totally killing it for me.

It's just adding crafting grind to combat grind. You have a level 10 bread and level 50 bread. Of course level 10 bread becomes obsolete and useless once you start making level 20 bread. It's just the same old "grind to max level and than look around bemusedly" thing.

A skinnerian box.

Real shame. It could have been such a great game if they only started thinking outside that DAMN BOX!

WTF? There are so many wonderful eco-godgames of old which did not use the damn xp/level/unlock thing - the Settlers series for example! But oh no, we wanted our xp/level/unlock thing just like damn FARMVILLE!

I don't think this genre of game is for you.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by XxSyCxX

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

A skinnerian box.

I don't think this genre of game is for you.

No, it is for me, because I'm old enough to see its potentialities.

It just pains me to see all this good work going to waste because of such crappy underlying core design. If you could have games like old Settlers series having full economy/ecology I really don't see what's the point of adding bread leveling and crap.

In Settlers every little resource you used and made at the beginning of the game was fully utilized to the very end. Your settlement didn't "outlevel" bread and fish. It just kept finding new uses for them. This crappy skinnerian xp/level/unlock thing with disposable content and crafting elements is death for the sandbox genre.

I really don't know why they based their core game on this crud. Eastern mmo complex? I don't know why this is so. Maybe because P-n-P RPG never took off in the far east so that's all they know.

It's a pity though, because the game as such is truly beautiful, both in art and the idea as a whole. However, it is seriously brought down by this tiresome xp/level/unlock thing... which is inherently linear and therefore completely at odds with the rest of the game.

I'm enjoying Wakfu a lot at the moment but I can see how the game is "too compelling" if you know what I mean.. Too compelling like, heroin is compelling much more than it's actually "fun." I don't like that. I don't like that at all. Farmville and WoW days are slowly coming to their close. Everybody knows what an "addictive game" is nowadays, and it's not cool anymore.