Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compared to the competition

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

How does LoL compare to the competition DOTA2 and TOTT ?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• legend55legend55 Member Posts: 155

LoL owns DOTA and TOTT in gameplay. But on th graphical side DOTA2 is much better then LoL. Nevertheless LoL has the most players so I guess LoL owns?:D

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

How does LoL compare to the competition DOTA2 and TOTT ?

As an avid LoL player I say it compares very well.

There are some very minor/major differences between LoL and DOTA2 (i will use MOBA slang, so ask if you don't understand):

A. Creep-denying is in DOTA2, its not my favorite mechanic I think LoL is better without it

B. Last-hitting is easier in LoL because the combat-animations are smoother and tend to be equal for all champions, not so in DOTA2

C. LoL is a bit faster than DOTA2, more on the action-side, which isn't a bad thing.

D. DOTA2 has no ultimate abilities (afaik) making the gameplay a bit different, since you don't need to worry about gamechanger abilities in teamfights, it also has less use-skills afaik, more passives

DOTA2 certainly does have a lot of interesting ideas though, like the courier-system that brings you purchased gear from the store, but can be killed and looted. You can also heal by "eating" trees, so every character effectively has a viable self-heal.

DOTA2 is a bit more deep in the tactics department.

I personally prefer LoL because its the MOBA experience condensed into a very polished package. I also think that LoL has the best end-game high-tier champion ballance of any MOBA game (not perfect though).

Community wise, both are horrible full of whiner kids and ragers.

Also I support Riot, because I see them as an upstart that takes care of their game, made it with passion, started small and made it big and listens to its playerbase. Its a company worth supporting.

FAZIT:

If you want some really good balanced gameplay with easy access: LoL

If you want a tactically deep game with a steep learning-curve and geared towards competitive and e-sports: DOTA2

• newbihacknewbihack Member CommonPosts: 36

just want to add one more thing...

wish all F2P follow the same steps that laegue of legends do.

as for Blizzard they are faggots in all means because they sell their games at high price camper to the market place, I mean come on WTF starcraft is almost 1 year old and still on 50 dallor? other games is less than that by now.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

League champions are more balanced around team encounters.  Generally, you will not be able to solo the enemy team with any champion.  It creates a very team-focused endgame, which can be good or bad depending on how good your teammates are.  All champions do decent in all stages of the game, with carries of course having great endgames and AP having great mid games.

In HoN / DotA, you have hyper-carries that are ridiculously weak early on, but can pretty much 1v5 you if you allow them enough farm.  Of course, there's heroes created to gank these carries repeatedly, which (IMO) are better realized than League's 'assassin' champions.  At level 6, most of these gankers have everything they need to destroy your carry, but they really taper off endgame since there is no 'ability power' - spell damage does not scale.

I feel that it's inevitable that there will be an endgame in every League match, barring the surrender at 20 deal.  In HoN, I've rolled with teams full of gankers that could make sure that carries never saw the light of day.  Although it was a very 'all-in' strategy, it works because it takes longer for end-game to happen in HoN (max level 25), while in League, you're guaranteed endgame as long as your team doesn't go 0-30 or something.

HoN has lower health pools so fights are very fast and deadly.  Spells and items are more powerful since there's no metagame summoner spells/runes/masteries.  Malzahar can ult you for what, 3.5 seconds?  In HoN, there's heroes that can lock you down upwards of 8.  There's an item that lets you do a Jarvan ult.  Wards are so overpowered that they actually have a cooldown in the shop!

• roudyroudy Member UncommonPosts: 10

1. LOL -  you cant 1 v 1 with anni hero like you can in dota

2. LOL -  you cant win if you have a noob in your team, the whole balance is ruined, in Dota you may have a chance

3. LOL - Less control over the game thus making more noob friendly, no denial on enemy moobs or heroes - you can do that in dota

4. LOL - overpowered heroes that cant even let you farm on the line, and verry few option to counter that heroes, too much burst dmg from the start.

5. LOL - it came to a point that from so manny heroes only a few of them are actualy played if you really want to win, see point 1.

• htiger23htiger23 Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by roudy

1. LOL -  you cant 1 v 1 with anni hero like you can in dota

2. LOL -  you cant win if you have a noob in your team, the whole balance is ruined, in Dota you may have a chance

3. LOL - Less control over the game thus making more noob friendly, no denial on enemy moobs or heroes - you can do that in dota

4. LOL - overpowered heroes that cant even let you farm on the line, and verry few option to counter that heroes, too much burst dmg from the start.

5. LOL - it came to a point that from so manny heroes only a few of them are actualy played if you really want to win, see point 1.

Your post is quite contradictory...

You state that you can't go 1v1 with champions in LoL in point one.

In point four, however, you say that some champions are so strong you can't fight against them...Color me confused!

League of Legends is much more team based than DotA.  There are no carries that can solo entire teams in LoL.

Also, on the point of noobs, think of it this way:

The enemy team has 5 chances to get a noob on their team.

Your team has only 4 chances to get a noob (5 - you = 4).  HOWEVER, if you are the "noob", your team has a 100% chance to get a noob every game...

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by AdamTM

C. LoL is a bit faster than DOTA2, more on the action-side, which isn't a bad thing.

Not sure if DotA 2 will have Easy Mode (-em) but if it does, then -em games go a lot faster. They are typically 20 to 40 minutes and that is stretching it. Compared to Normal mode games (currently the only mode in the beta) which usually last 40 to 60 minutes. 

D. DOTA2 has no ultimate abilities (afaik) making the gameplay a bit different, since you don't need to worry about gamechanger abilities in teamfights, it also has less use-skills afaik, more passives

Unless you mean something else by "ultimate ability", this is just flat out wrong. All heros in Dota have ultimates.

I personally prefer LoL because its the MOBA experience condensed into a very polished package. I also think that LoL has the best end-game high-tier champion ballance of any MOBA game (not perfect though).

DotA (not Dota 2) has better balance than LoL or HoN.  

OP, I definitely think LoL has carved its own chunk out in the ARTS genre. As such it can definitely hold its own. It's like the WoW of ARTS :)

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.