Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] Fans OF Guild Wars 2, What is your profession? PT1

Comments

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Norn Necro MM all the way

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Norn Elementalist for Life

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • TrolanderTrolander Member Posts: 33

For my main, I intend to play a Norn Mesmer. :) However, I intend on playing an Asura Guardian as well when the time comes.

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

Main and main alt

1) Necro 2) Guardian

Secondary Alts

1) Engineer 2) Ranger 3) warrior

Classes with mild interest:

1) Mesmer 2) elementalist

Class with no interest:

Thief

Playstyle preferences: Explorer with a love for utility classes.  I find straight-up damage casters boring.

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

Originally posted by Draftbeer

Norn Necro MM all the way

This was my initial thought as well, but now I am a bit conflicted looking at the asura..

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Sylvinstar

Main and main alt

1) Necro 2) Guardian

Secondary Alts

Class with no interest:

Thief

Playstyle preferences: Explorer with a love for utility classes.  I find straight-up damage casters boring.

Isn't Thief the highest utility class?

With an ability that changes according to the enemy........:O Warriors seems a weird choice for a playstyle for utility :P

But then, I'm interested in all the classes lol, because every class seems to bring something unique to the table, they make each battle different and unique. 

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Originally posted by Sylvinstar

Main and main alt

1) Necro 2) Guardian

Secondary Alts

Class with no interest:

Thief

Isn't Thief the highest utility class?

With an ability that changes according to the enemy........:O Warriors seems a weird choice for a playstyle for utility :P

But then, I'm interested in all the classes lol, because every class seems to bring something unique to the table, they make each battle different and unique. 

I think it depends on what we mean by Utility.  If we mean being able to do a lot of different things at one time, then I'd say Stealing really isn't all that utility.  It creates a different skill for each mob, but it's still only one skill at a time.

Supposedly all the classes can do all three damage, control, and support roles to a good degree, but I have a hard time seeing how the Thief really does support.  Devs claim Izzy has a support Thief, but either its trait dependent or skills have been overhauled.  I'm waiting to learn more.

The Warrior has the most weapon combinations available with 19, compared to, for example, 12 of the Guardian.  That's why I imagine they listed them as Utility, but they still have only 17 skills available at one time (10 from weapons + 5 right bar + 2 adrenal).  A Guardian has 18 skills available at one time (10 from weapons + 5 right bar + 3 virtues).

All the classes but Elementalist and Engineer have two weapon sets available at a time, so they have a good amount of utility from that.  Like a Warrior can use a 2H hammer and a longbow and swap between them to greatly change their playstyle.

That being said, the Elementalist and Engineer, even though they only have 1 weapon at a time, have the most number of skills available at one time.

The Elementalist has 4 attunements, so they really have 25 skills (20 skills on the left bar and 5 on the right).  They can do damage (fire), support (water, air) and control (air, earth) at any time.  They're limited though by the weapon.  If dual daggers, everything is short range.  If staff, everything is long range, long cast AoE.

The Engineer has only 1 weapon as well, but they have the potential to take kits, which allow them to trade a utility skill for a set of 5 weapon skills, as well as giving them an F1-F4 skill.  An Engineer who takes a Med Kit, Flamethrower, Bomb Satchel and Grenade Kit has the potential for 30 skills even not double counting the right bar (5 weapon + 20 from kits + 4 F1-F4 + 1 elite).  Lol, for added goodness, one of the Engineer's elites is a Supply Crate which spawns environmental weapons that can be picked up by anybody.

I'd say if you're looking for utility, definitely give the Engineer a try.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

ranger because guild wars 1 = ranger guild wars 2= ranger lol their just so epic, they feel unique even though nearly every mmo has a ranger/archer/bowman lol 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

My first roll will most likely be the Guardian. I am a fan of melee that also employs magic. The ability to control areas of the battlefield or even form protective bubbles around teammates really appeal to me.

After that, it'll most likely either be a warrior or a thief. The fact that warriors can use bows for ranged appeals to me, being able to make a pseudo-samurai of sorts.

I get the feeling the prof I will roll last will be the one I enjoy the most is the Mesmer. I tend to not play ranged magical casters early in games, but I typically wind up enjoying the hell out of them after I learn the mechanics of the game.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Mesmer by leaps and bounds, loved that profession in GW1 cant wait to roll another in GW2.

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Necromancer (main) and probably Guardian ^-^

The Mesmer looks preety cool too. But this waiting is so desperate... oh well!

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I'm leaning towards thief but honestly, I really like all of them.  A lot.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• RassmanRassman Member Posts: 36

Well Ranger will definately be my main. Fell in love with the Hunter in WoW 7 years ago. Love having pets etc. But I will try an Eng they look badass! But I'm also thinking guardian don't know why but they seem interesting. But I'm interested in all classes cept the Thief lol!

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Engineer. I really like a stationary fire style, and I liked turret classes in other MMORPG's/games. Probably a Charr. Seems go well with the whole explosions thing.

• AzahothAzahoth Member Posts: 7

I am gonna make a Sylvari Necromancer,  the TGN video has me sold. Death Shroud + Aoe Life Drain.. game needs to take my money already lol.

• aaron4820aaron4820 Member Posts: 2

Guardian.

I'll probably give all the classes a try, except the Engineer. It's not that I find him not fitting in the lore, I just don't find him interesting enough.

• GranreyGranrey Member Posts: 53

I'm between Guardian and Warrior. It appears to me that Guardian looks cooler and usefull.  Warrior looks badass and endurance.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

This is probably one of the first games I have ZERO idea which to choose, and that is not for lack of reading about them.  I think that is a testament to how unique and cool they all seem.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

I love animals so I'm always a beast master if I can be. I also loved my prot pally in WoW, so I'm thinking guardian when I'm sick of my ranger. I usually suck with rogue types so I'm sure the thief will be last for me. So, Sylvari Ranger and Human Guardian for me to start. I'll play all because I'm an altaholic.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Should have known there would be ten bazzillion mesmers running around in this game HA! that's okay I'll enjoy being one of very few, an Engineer. Finally a game that appreciates that focus. They'll appreciate my nets and thumpers and mines in the end :)

Nets, and thumpers, and mines, oh my

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by ngueva2

If you haven't checked it out already their is a part 2 which is a poll about which race you want to play in Guild Wars 2 here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/335286/POLL-Fans-OF-Guild-Wars-2-WHAT-IS-YOUR-RACE-PT2.html

Now that all 8 Guild Wars 2 professions have been revealed and as a prehype for ourselves . . . 

Lets hear about your choice as a main profession and why?image

If your are undecided, pick a profession you would like to try out!

Is there one I can pick that the guy on the opposing team can't have?  I like variety.  It would be cool if this was more than red team vs blue team American football style pvp.  Are there classes that the other guys get that my team cannot have?  Do "other guys" even exist?  I know it's server vs server, but, that's just the same looking guys that we have, only, their name is red.

Ever watch that really popular show, Deadlist Warrior, on Spike T.V.?  Do you know why it's so popular?  Arguably the fact that they have different types of warriors fighting each other.  There's a ton of fun "what if" going on on that show.  Imagine, however, if today's mmorpg industry produced it?  Instead of Ninja vs Spartan warrior, you'd have ninja vs ninja, except, one ninja would have a red uniform and the other would have a blue uniform.  We wouldn't want the ninjas to complain that they have to fight something unpredictable, afterall :) Yeah, that would never work lol, hence why Deadliest Warrior, the tv show, never does anything like that. 

Gets old seeing the same ranger killing the same ranger, know what I mean?

Just asking.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

2 pistols thief asura FTW!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Comaf

Originally posted by ngueva2

If you haven't checked it out already their is a part 2 which is a poll about which race you want to play in Guild Wars 2 here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/335286/POLL-Fans-OF-Guild-Wars-2-WHAT-IS-YOUR-RACE-PT2.html

Now that all 8 Guild Wars 2 professions have been revealed and as a prehype for ourselves . . . 

Lets hear about your choice as a main profession and why?image

If your are undecided, pick a profession you would like to try out!

Is there one I can pick that the guy on the opposing team can't have?  I like variety.  It would be cool if this was more than red team vs blue team American football style pvp.  Are there classes that the other guys get that my team cannot have?  Do "other guys" even exist?  I know it's server vs server, but, that's just the same looking guys that we have, only, their name is red.

Ever watch that really popular show, Deadlist Warrior, on Spike T.V.?  Do you know why it's so popular?  Arguably the fact that they have different types of warriors fighting each other.  There's a ton of fun "what if" going on on that show.  Imagine, however, if today's mmorpg industry produced it?  Instead of Ninja vs Spartan warrior, you'd have ninja vs ninja, except, one ninja would have a red uniform and the other would have a blue uniform.  We wouldn't want the ninjas to complain that they have to fight something unpredictable, afterall :) Yeah, that would never work lol, hence why Deadliest Warrior, the tv show, never does anything like that. 

Gets old seeing the same ranger killing the same ranger, know what I mean?

Just asking.

Why I do more research  before posting.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

This is the first MMO where all classes are attractive to me and where each class has some unique mechanic which distinguishes itself from the other classes. So eventually I want to try them all. Although the ones that are attracting me the most are Necromancer and Mesmer. Need to have more info about Mesmer skills to decide which one will become my main.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I like Ranger the most, as that's what I play in GW1 and, even though I always thought of myself as a warrior guy, I always find I have a lot more fun in MMOs with a ranged class for some reason. Engineer comes second, but I'm not a fan of the way the turrets are looking from the videos so I hope there is more variety than we've seen so far.

Pistol Thief is something I will check out early on as well. I usually hate the slower paced gameplay from being a thief but gw2 might be different.. the assassin in gw1 was certainly different than the stereotypical.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.