Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Enters the Guinness Book of World Records!!!

Comments

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by Pigozz

Originally posted by BigMango

Originally posted by Metentso

This records looks a bit silly. Marketing guys could have thought of something better.

Please go back to your text or questless games.

If you can't see how SWTOR is doing it's fair share in moving the mmorpg industry forward in the RPG department, I'll let you go back to school take some history lessons, you'll realize evolution is done 1 step at a time.

Future games will be like movies with multiple choices and direct interaction and no buttons to click, but I guess you'll still be here "oh I miss my text games and my single OK button".

Is evolution of MMOS the creation of heavily instanced and shard worlds with 100 maximum players in it? Is evolution the use of companions so u dont have to interact with other players (in a freakin MMO!) at all? Is evolution exhaustion zones?? What Bioware did is raping the MMO ideas and twist them into some  lifeless CORPG . Go back to singleplayers games pls!

Eve Online is an evolution of what MMO should look like with DUST 514 comming in - not this railroad interactive movie

It may be fun or whatevs but dont give me the crap that this is the way to go in MMOs, please...

I am talking of evolution in the mmorpg RPG department.

What are you talking about? Something completely different.

I guess you need to go back to school too, you'll learn that evolution is done 1 step at a time. Meanwhile we'll be enjoying our first foot in the mmoRPG future, you can go back to your text games with no choices.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Now I see why they gave TOR 8/10 for Innovation.

It's for turning Massively Multiplayer online role-playing games into audio books.

..Cake..

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

This records looks a bit silly. Marketing guys could have thought of something better.

If you can't see how SWTOR is doing it's fair share in moving the mmorpg industry forward in the RPG department, I'll let you go back to school take some history lessons, you'll realize evolution is done 1 step at a time.

Future games will be like movies with multiple choices and direct interaction and no buttons to click, but I guess you'll still be here "oh I miss my text games and my single OK button".

Is evolution of MMOS the creation of heavily instanced and shard worlds with 100 maximum players in it? Is evolution the use of companions so u dont have to interact with other players (in a freakin MMO!) at all? Is evolution exhaustion zones?? What Bioware did is raping the MMO ideas and twist them into some  lifeless CORPG . Go back to singleplayers games pls!

Eve Online is an evolution of what MMO should look like with DUST 514 comming in - not this railroad interactive movie

It may be fun or whatevs but dont give me the crap that this is the way to go in MMOs, please...

Your response leads me to believe that you haven't played the game.  You can have more than a hundred players in a world.  There are many group quests and such for people to socialize with.  Heck, I sometimes group up just to do quests.  I enjoy getting to know someone new.  Companions are pets.  Many MMO's have pet classes, so I don't see your point here.....

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Nice, i was happy when wow got theirs, so i bet all you star wars fans are happy hehe.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Dekarx12

Is there a record for the biggest waste of money ever spent on a MMO? but gratz BW

Made me laugh, IM sure some of that money could of been better spent but hey.  Maybe a better rendering engine.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Thank you for this. That is my point exactly. Changing one tiny thing in questing that doesn't even effect the standard quests per planet isn't innovation. they could have done WAY better. In fact GW2 will have a strong solo questline do they deserve an award too pre-release? giving this to bioware is the equivolent of giving the nobel prize to President Obama before he did anything. It's a PR move.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Requiamer

Beer? i want one too.

Heh, this book is the mother of all things that goes too far. It started with some old dudes writing down dart scores in Guiness old pub a long way back... :D

And yes, I want one as well.

Guiness had another brilliant idea as well. The Brits taxed breweries based on how much barley they bought so Guiness used 50% potatoes (which give that just right taste), tax cheating actually made the beer taste like it does.

guinness is not british it's irish.

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Actually, Metentso has a point there. And you probably need some distance to be able to speak about the game objectively.

They do have a huge marketing machine, and it's harnessed to the full. They've made sure they have 100% coverage everywhere and are also making sure that coverage is positive. I have to admit, their marketing stunt at Times Square was something unseen.

There has been earlier endeavours to make games interactive videos and they've been experiments that didn't last. Maybe it's because the audience wasn't ready for that at the time, maybe it's because people want to PLAY games instead of DIRECTING them.

You should be thankfull for this marketing machine.

Or do you prefer the no marketing system, as done by some great games like Darkfall and others (full open seamless pvp world, etc...)?

These great evolutive games no one has heard of? Do you think investors will invest into something nobody has heard of or is talking about? These great evolutions are only lost for no one wants to invest in them.

Thankfully BW is spending so much on marketing. Now everyone knows multiple choice RPG cinematics are doing a lot of noise, and people are loving it.

Yes, it's still not perfect, it's still rather linear. But this is how evolution works, 1 step at a time.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Is there a record for the biggest waste of money ever spent on a MMO? but gratz BW

Yes, its called Vanguard.  The amount of money pumped into this game by both Sigil and SoE has probaby got to be close to what Bioware put into SWTOR.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Maybe it's you who should go back to school and learn some basic manners when talking to someone.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by teakbois

Yes, its called Vanguard.  The amount of money pumped into this game by both Sigil and SoE has probaby got to be close to what Bioware put into SWTOR.

You must be joking right. Vanguard costed 30$ milion. SWTOR costed 300$ milion. You sure you check the amount of zeros right?

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by itgrowls

Thank you for this. That is my point exactly. Changing one tiny thing in questing that doesn't even effect the standard quests per planet isn't innovation. they could have done WAY better. In fact GW2 will have a strong solo questline do they deserve an award too pre-release? giving this to bioware is the equivolent of giving the nobel prize to President Obama before he did anything. It's a PR move.

Will GW2 also be a text based game?

You are still waiting for the next game, aren't you? LOL, "GW2  WILL have this... WILL have that...." you must be new to mmos.

People have been bashing every new release and been waiting for the next Messiah of mmos that will change everything for the past 7 years:

- Wait for Vanguard! The futrue in seamless worlds and RPG.    Failure

- Wait for AOC! The next revolution in combat, etc...    Failure.

- Wait for WAR! The revolution in PvP, you level through PvP, it's the future.   Failure.

- Wait for Darkfall! The Ultima Online MMo!     Failure.

- and now: Wait for GW2!

Let it arrive and then let's see what it delivers and >HOW< it does deliver it. I hope it will be great. Meanwhile I will be enjoying SWTOR. Now. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Or do you prefer the no marketing system, as done by some great games like Darkfall and others (full open seamless pvp world, etc...)?

These great evolutive games no one has heard of? Do you think investors will invest into something nobody has heard of or is talking about? These great evolutions are only lost for no one wants to invest in them.

Thankfully BW is spending so much on marketing. Now everyone knows multiple choice RPG cinematics are doing a lot of noise, and people are loving it.

Yes, it's still not perfect, it's still rather linear. But this is ANadhow evolution works, 1 step at a time.

Marketing system? Marketing machine? This has to be the worst wording ever...

And what is it with you and your evolution catch phrase? Evolution is made 1 step at a time? So it will take MMOs only what? A thousand years?

As I see it TOR is a single player game which sacrifices a lot (lackluster quests and meaningless choices aka no real choices and you play a nobody compared to the protagonists of other BW games) just for the sake of little co-op functionality. Then you hit level 50 and you start raiding and do all the stuff you do in every other MMO. I don't see why the voice over is so impressive. I have had that in KOTOR, DAO and the game with the best voiced presentation - Mass Effect.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Actually, Metentso has a point there. And you probably need some distance to be able to speak about the game objectively.

They do have a huge marketing machine, and it's harnessed to the full. They've made sure they have 100% coverage everywhere and are also making sure that coverage is positive. I have to admit, their marketing stunt at Times Square was something unseen.

About your comment and this Guinness (the drink is awesome, the book not so), AoC should be there too (is it?) for revolutionazing mmorpg combat. That was and is unseen before and after.

There has been earlier endeavours to make games interactive videos and they've been experiments that didn't last. Maybe it's because the audience wasn't ready for that at the time, maybe it's because people want to PLAY games instead of DIRECTING them.

Good point as always. 

The sad thing is that this whole marketing phenomenon is so definitive of our vapid style-over-substance culture of the late 2000s and of course, BioWarEA have always been good at whipping their playerbase up into a rabid frenzy pre-game release. (I mean shortly after Dragon Age 2 came out, the player base was already discussing multi-page threads on Dragon Age 3! And this was after the insane hype leading up to DA2.)

So kudos to Bioware.

---

Also, here are some world records that actually deal with the most important element of MMOs: people -

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Search.aspx?q=World+of+Warcraft

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Guinness:- What a lovely stroll its quite brilliant.

A wild Bioware PR Appears.

PR:- Yo you heard Swtor has 200K worth of dialouge.

Guinness:- Wow thats quite brilliant never has that been done before. Lets put that one in the books.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• w005crjw005crj Member Posts: 19

One thing that really puzzles me by day one of anything popular is why do people insist on being insane fanboys of a product? Why do they care so much about the business and marketing of Bioware's product? It reminds me of Apple fanboys who continue to post charts of Apple stocks, IPad sales, and describe some unknown who was just recently hired into the Apple marketing department. It's disgusting if you're not the business type trying to learn, but rather the type that feels compelled to continue using their product as long as they feel it's accepted by the community as some greatness.

Sorry to say this, but World Of Warcraft > Star Wars: The Old Republic in terms everything that comes with a MMORPG with the included innovation.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Yes, it's still not perfect, it's still rather linear. But this is ANadhow evolution works, 1 step at a time.

Marketing system? Marketing machine? This has to be the worst wording ever...

And what is it with you and your evolution catch phrase? Evolution is made 1 step at a time? So it will take MMOs only what? A thousand years?

As I see it TOR is a single player game which sacrifices a lot (lackluster quests and meaningless choices aka no real choices and you play a nobody compared to the protagonists of other BW games) just for the sake of little co-op functionality. Then you hit level 50 and you start raiding and do all the stuff you do in every other MMO. I don't see why the voice over is so impressive. I have had that in KOTOR, DAO and the game with the best voiced presentation - Mass Effect.

People have been bashing every mmo that has been coming out in the past 7 years.

So yeah: evolution is done 1 step at a time.

Time to open your eyes, eh?

But you are bashing this too, you don't want mmos to evolve in this direction, you don't want cinematics, you want text based games with 1 OK button.

Ok.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Nice, SWTOR sets a new benchmark for the mmo industry.

- We had MUDs.

- Then text quests with an single OK button.

- Then some rare voice overs in less than a handfull of games. (AOC, Aion,...) with the single OK button.

- Now SWTOR moves into the mmo future with full voice overs, multiple choices in place of the OK button. 

The mmorpgs are moving forward, SWTOR is playing a big part in this on the RPG side. Future games can now do their part and improve upon this.

Strictly for the record, I am not in any way interested in or opposed to sweater.  But EQ2 was released with a great deal of VO tied in with the quests..  Right around the time WoW revolutionized gaming with text and an OK button. =)

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Originally posted by Guileplayer

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19850-swtor-enters-the-guinness-book-of-world-records

Gratz to BW!

And there is your actual proof that SWTOR is more of a cinematic experience than an actual gameplay experience.

Save yourself the time and money and just watch the "Clone Wars' on dvd.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

....so is the guy that can eat a billion sausages in 1 hour...so what?

Well at least i had a few laughs reading this thread...i really enjoy mmorpg.com...its a box full of surprises...we have reviews, comic strips, game insights and now quality jokes also image

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

Originally posted by Guileplayer

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19850-swtor-enters-the-guinness-book-of-world-records

Gratz to BW!

And there is your actual proof that SWTOR is more of a cinematic experience than an actual gameplay experience.

Or save money on a nice rig and just play PnP rpg.

See what i did there?

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by teakbois

You must be joking right. Vanguard costed 30$ milion. SWTOR costed 300$ milion. You sure you check the amount of zeros right?

SWTOR didn't cost 300 million, how many times people are going to use rumors to support their argument?

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

At least on this DVD we have a multiple choices selection menu.

But with your old generation text based mmos, you can save yourself the time and just go get yourself a book at your local library.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by sammyeli

Guinness:- What a lovely stroll its quite brilliant.

A wild Bioware PR Appears.

PR:- Yo you heard Swtor has 200K worth of dialouge.

Guinness:- Wow thats quite brilliant never has that been done before. Lets put that one in the books.

Lmfao

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

I'm just going to be proactive and step in here to remind people to keep things civil as well as on topic. Thanks!