Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus?

Comments

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by kalinis

no one is bailing on this game. i play usually from 2pm to 5 pm est and 11pm to 3 am est time most ime and servers are usually heavy to full with a few that used to be light going at standard. 

So no people arent bailing on this game. They fixed how many people could be on at one time before u hit a que so when u hit the numbers u had on before u still dont get a que. 

So no players arent leaving in droves at least not in my experiance. 

The first bit there is unrealistic, saying that "no one is bailing on this game" as everyone has different tastes so some people will bail on this game.

Originally posted by Raora

Just got back with dinner with 6 friends, four of whom I knew were playing SWTOR. After starting to get into details I fin out that all but 1 of them were in TOR and absolutely loving the game as I am and have NO plans on leaving anytime soon. While talking I did not hear one negative comment about it. Unlike these boards.

I like the game and will play it thoroughly but I do not see myself playing it once I have completed all classes and maxed them out.

With SWG I played that solidly from July 2003 to Dec 16th 2011, and if it did not get shut down, I would have subbed and played that game forever, and with many extra accounts too. Most people who got stuck into it felt that way too. Its systems kept you hooked even once maxed out.

I feel the same about other MMOs too, but they do seem to have more things to tinker with in game, than what SWTOR currently has. Hopefully this stuff will get added before most people have maxed their characters. In EQ2 there are tonnes of classes and races to choose from so has more longevity, and an interesting crafting system, not as good as SWG but adequate enough to play with longer than SWTOR but less than SWG.

Basically looking at this game for short term, there is nothing wrong with it, and I have nothing negative to say about it, but looking long term there is.

You lost me at kept playing after the NGE. SWG was a shell of a game after the NGE. And there is NO contest between the NGE and TOR.

I too plan on playing every class, that being said, I do not level fast. I played EQ2 for 6 years after I left SWG. I had 8 characters between level 42 and 58 and none to max level because I love leveling character versus just grinding to max. I see TOR giving me minimum 6 year just to get to where I was in EQ2. And that is just fine with me.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I too plan on playing every class, that being said, I do not level fast. I played EQ2 for 6 years after I left SWG. I had 8 characters between level 42 and 58 and none to max level because I love leveling character versus just grinding to max. I see TOR giving me minimum 6 year just to get to where I was in EQ2. And that is just fine with me.

These sort of posts just make me think... 'whhhhyyy?'  I shudder to think how many quests you have done over the years and will do in the future.

Oh and you better speed things up, a lot can happen in 6 years!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Originally posted by Vegetto

I see 100's of people on every planet i goto.

I actually see maybe 2 at most every few hours.

I think hes still trying to play SWG shhhh dont tell him 

LMFAO thank you just made my day.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by nerovipus32

This isn't wow we are talking about though.

Thank goodness.  Enjoy your not-playing!

Enjoy your unoriginal & mediocre content as well, lol. 

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Czanrei

Originally posted by Icewhite

This isn't wow we are talking about though.

Thank goodness.  Enjoy your not-playing!

Enjoy your unoriginal & mediocre content as well, lol. 

So are you telling us that TOR sucks as bad as Rifts, or as bad as sandboxes? You need to quantify your bitching pal.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Creslin321

Couldn't tell yah, I already quit ;).

That aside, I don't think that SWTOR is going to spectacularly crash and burn after the first month.  I don't think it has that much longevity though.  It will probably have a lot of subscribers for several months...years though, I doubt.

longtivity wouldnt last very long with wow either if they stop adding stuff 2 it. granted tor leveling curve is to fast for what they have at end game

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

I cancelled my sub aswell and wont even play out my free 30 days, first time i've done that with an mmo.

I cancelled before my pre-order was up ( pre release )  becuase i couldn't bear put money toward something that was well, what it was..

I have never done that before, in fact I didn't even know you could cancel a pre-order once you were already logged in during pre-release and playing...

SWTOR taught me something !

{mod edit}
  • lortegedlorteged Member Posts: 143

I belive the population numbers on my server is rising.. every zone i get to is crowded and i havent had problems gathering groups for anything.. Hopefuly it stays that way.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Niman server here EU, full as ever croweded the game is just insane, and why do people care about things other then playing

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Typical MMORPG is....typical.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Torgrim

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

I have seen the logins of friends, guild, and server multiply X2, roughly.  I don't understand though... because the servers no longer seem to have long queue times.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, without some new stuff, I know we will have probably a few people in my guild, and its a pretty small guild...People raced to 50, and now they sit around crying about things, but it didn't help that from the limited stuff they could do, some was still bugged/broke.

I am like 43, so not there yet, and I have 2 alts atm, not in a big rush.  I do spacebar quests on alts, that are not storyline, but quests I have done though...

They do need to revamp some stuff, and get the not at launch content out asap though, imo.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Been reading a lot on these boards and on other gaming forums that people are leaving TOR before the free month is up, either be it at max level with fully geared toon players or people gotten bored before hitting max level.

Have any of you seen this on your server or less logins in your guild or friends stopped playing?

I have seen the logins of friends, guild, and server multiply X2, roughly.  I don't understand though... because the servers no longer seem to have long queue times.

They stated they were going to fix that sometime around Christmas. Most servers now get into the orange, where before they were backlogged. Some had a quite a waitlist, and then like overnight things were fine.

They obviously added more smoke to their server cabinents. When you let the smoke out, electronic devices quit functioning altogether.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

I think it is too early to declare a mass exodus. It will be usefull however to check population at the 1 month - 3 month marks. 

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Gweyr

Originally posted by nikoliath

Its UK prime time on a friday and im the only guild member online, my tally of seeing other people is at 2, one ironically was on my friends list :O.

I would switch servers, but apparenly its 'Heavy', i got the short straw i think, never had a group, won a wwarzone or spoke more than few lines of chat to anyone who answers back. wtf :/

I play on a US pvp server, twin spires... It's busy all round the clock.

Looking at server populations now, US servers are Light / Standard with a few at Heavy. EU servers are Standard to Very Heavy, with one or two at FULL, no Light servers at all, they were that about 5-8 hours ago as well, EU servers are more populated than US servers, unless US servers hold more people?

Half the servers of both EU and US were at FULL around the 19th/20th Dec - populations are going down.

Or the USA and Europe are in different time zones and have different peak times?

It's just a bit after 6 PM EST here on the east coast so people are just getting home from work so USA peak times are just starting up and will peak in like 3-4 hours when rge west coast folks get home and log in.

Like I said EU servers were like that with 0 Light servers 5-8 hours ago which matched US time timezones, and the point was the person I quoted said it was busy around the clock - guess not!

On Dec 19th/Dec 20th even half of US servers were full, 2-3 hours ago from the time of this posts creation, for them to drop down that much in a short space of time, is not looking good, unless they increased the capacities of the servers by allowing more instancing?

I was replying to vegetto, who is suggesting that his server is a ghost town... he only ran into 2 people, has never grouped etc. I play on a East Coast server with a guild that I was in at SWG launch, I live in the UK. At no point when I log in to play is the game world "empty", when I say busy I do not mean packed to the hilt with a queue 24/7. I mean I see people going about their business, not 1 or 2, but plenty.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

The queues are down and the number of shards seem to be lower at this point as well.  I've been leveling some alts and notice that the starting areas aren't as crowded.  I'm on one of the fuller servers and I'm sure some people left to find a server with a smaller queue.

There certainly isn't a "mass exodus".  But I am concerned for the games future.  The endgame needs differentiation from WOW in some way and I haven't heard any plans along those lines.  I'm on the fence regarding subscribing.  I cancelled my 3 month subscription because I'm not enticed by endgame at this point. 

I'm starting to think that they released the game about 6 months too early.  The combat delay, poor UI and the lack of a LFG system is really a big mistake in this market.  I know that I will come back when the game has improved, assuming I don't subscribe, but many gamers won't.  

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Arkinia

I wouldn't site this forum as a serious resource. 

No Forum about a video game, especially an mmo can be used as a serious resource

Obviously if you purchased the game and are enjoying it you are too busy having fun and playing to come post on forums.

If you didnt like the game and now have nothing to do your prolly going to go to a forum to bash it.

So much common sense you need to be careful ; I agree 100% with the above....

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Isane

No Forum about a video game, especially an mmo can be used as a serious resource

Obviously if you purchased the game and are enjoying it you are too busy having fun and playing to come post on forums.

If you didnt like the game and now have nothing to do your prolly going to go to a forum to bash it.

So much common sense you need to be careful ; I agree 100% with the above....

OTOH, most people who hate a game and quit, really aren't going to be bothering with forums.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Yes. There is a difference between a consumers impression and an impression by a gaming advertising site.  In this market, the most unreported or impressed-upon news will always be lack of attention drawn to the gross inconsistency of a 8/10 review within a couple weeks for what should be a review of a mmorpg that boasts persistent long-term sustained entertainment value, which ends up losing 60-70% of that originally box-purchase / subscribership 3-6months out.

Though short-term consumer reviews can be as misleading as advertising site reviews like mmorpg.com, here is a metacritic example.    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

So having said that, I think TOR will end up being, as I eluded to, like the up-take and abandonment of AoC, WAR, STO, etc.  My take is going to be different than others, after over 100 hours of play through level 30, and can be found here.

But then there are a lot of consumer-realted reviews like it here:

In short, the sustainability of TOR is up in the air, but the consumer trend is more apprehensive and less than positive, such as that TOR feels like having the least Massively-Multiplayer features & content of any mainstream labeled mmo aside from STO.   And also, I don't feel as though players are important to the community or core of game-play, that other players involvement in game-play, traversing a map, mission completion involvement, crafting, merchandising, or trades matters.

The game does feel more empty of players than a mmo should and the mechanics and deign of the game-play content doesn’t help.

But we’ll see.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by OBK1

90% (accurate figure) of my guild have stopped logging in.

I know this for a fact as not only have me or the other couple people not seen them, but their levels haven't changed. All stopped around levels 16-25. All around last week.

Not much interest in RP-stories then I take it? Surely you must have known what sort of game this would be before buying it? (EQ/Wow-like, but with some modernized mechanics).

I'm a pretty casual player and my main is level 25 now and I feel like the game just gets better and better!

Some maybe not in "stories", but not all I think.

I am very into "RP" , "stories" and "fantasy / sc-fi".  Ex- pen&paper player here, and I also played many single player crpg's (Fallout 1&2, Arcanum, Planetscape:Torment, Baldur's Gate series and many more).

Still I do NOT like Swtor's story. Why? Because of HOW dialogues are made. Sorry but ALWAYS 3 same type of options (good, bad and 3 rd option in middle) and shallow dialogues + paraphrasing.

Sorry small amount of dialogue options, shallowness and awful paraphrasing kill it for me. Never mind that sometimes dialogues are just awful like written for 12 year old - (see: ).

So sorry.  I loved Bioware games, but since they adopted dialogue wheel and went for dialogue system like in DA2 , ME2 and now Swtor - that's really not fit my taste.

Not to mention that imo their dialogue writting like got worse :/

---------

Single player crpg part of Swtor for me is just medicore - not bad ,but just nothing spectacular. There were far better single crpg games.

First on topic, to me it seems more and more are playing everyday not the other way around. To your points, well I sort of agree with you. I do like the SWTOR presentation and stories though, but yes they are very simplified and no I don't like their response alternatives either.

But it is story driven and pretty well done for being an MMORPG! But as I said in my first answer, you and your guild mates must have known what sort of game this was going to be? Admittedly, I find it a little too much on rails and the planets doesn't feel like planets just small zones, I also know I will be wanting a good sandbox again soon, but what alternatives are there among those? None worthy I would say.

I can see that if you burn through content quickly and don't like the videos of the quests then you probably can just as well play WoW. On the other hand if you like Star Wars and story driven (be it shallow stories) rpg:s then I think you will like this game, it also suits casual players very well, probably even more than Lotro does (which is sort of king of casual mmo:s).

And as I started, no Mass exodus, rather a game still growing.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Trade Network Area = Packed

Warzones = 10 to 60 secs of wait time = Packed

General Chat = Packed

Requests for Flashpoints - Dungeon = Packed

Game is booming.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

SWTORs story is far from written.  It's up to the developers to make good on some of their promises and add features to the game that people want.  If they don't listen to their customers and come off arrogantly then the ship is going to sink.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by nikoliath

Its UK prime time on a friday and im the only guild member online, my tally of seeing other people is at 2, one ironically was on my friends list :O.

I would switch servers, but apparenly its 'Heavy', i got the short straw i think, never had a group, won a wwarzone or spoke more than few lines of chat to anyone who answers back. wtf :/

I play on a US pvp server, twin spires... It's busy all round the clock.

Looking at server populations now, US servers are Light / Standard with a few at Heavy. EU servers are Standard to Very Heavy, with one or two at FULL, no Light servers at all, they were that about 5-8 hours ago as well, EU servers are more populated than US servers, unless US servers hold more people?

Half the servers of both EU and US were at FULL around the 19th/20th Dec - populations are going down.

This is hard if not impossible to estimate since servers had an artificial cap on them. Bioware has given us no real indication of how big the artificial cap was. Only that they have been slowly changing it to allow more players on each server. For all you know the servers could have less people, the same people or more people on them now.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by kalinis

no one is bailing on this game. i play usually from 2pm to 5 pm est and 11pm to 3 am est time most ime and servers are usually heavy to full with a few that used to be light going at standard. 

So no people arent bailing on this game. They fixed how many people could be on at one time before u hit a que so when u hit the numbers u had on before u still dont get a que. 

So no players arent leaving in droves at least not in my experiance. 

The first bit there is unrealistic, saying that "no one is bailing on this game" as everyone has different tastes so some people will bail on this game.

Just got back with dinner with 6 friends, four of whom I knew were playing SWTOR. After starting to get into details I fin out that all but 1 of them were in TOR and absolutely loving the game as I am and have NO plans on leaving anytime soon. While talking I did not hear one negative comment about it. Unlike these boards.

I like the game and will play it thoroughly but I do not see myself playing it once I have completed all classes and maxed them out.

With SWG I played that solidly from July 2003 to Dec 16th 2011, and if it did not get shut down, I would have subbed and played that game forever, and with many extra accounts too. Most people who got stuck into it felt that way too. Its systems kept you hooked even once maxed out.

I feel the same about other MMOs too, but they do seem to have more things to tinker with in game, than what SWTOR currently has. Hopefully this stuff will get added before most people have maxed their characters. In EQ2 there are tonnes of classes and races to choose from so has more longevity, and an interesting crafting system, not as good as SWG but adequate enough to play with longer than SWTOR but less than SWG.

Basically looking at this game for short term, there is nothing wrong with it, and I have nothing negative to say about it, but looking long term there is.

You lost me at kept playing after the NGE. SWG was a shell of a game after the NGE. And there is NO contest between the NGE and TOR.

TOR is a shell of a game of the NGE. TOR has even less professions, restricted space, no Beast Master, no Entertainers, no player cities, dumbed down crafting, no seasonal events, less openness which other MMOs have.

TOR just seems like an enhanced version of the Legacy quests in SWG that came with the NGE,  but then nothing else. Although Flashpoints are like Heroics, but I was not too keen on them anyway.

Crafting is what kept me in SWG. Then there was Beast Master which I reckon was just as good as CH/BE, although not the same, but crafting kept me too busy to get stuck into that. I also liked flying around in space, could not get enough of it. The crafting in TOR is just weak, the companion system is not as good as beast/droid companions in SWG an you can not even make your own, and there is no space to explore to your hearts content.