Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Swtor is not for roleplayers

Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

http://swtor-rp.com/home/m/1639454/article/507073

Chatbubbles. Or rather the lack of them. Never realised they where so important until I played the first game that didn't have them. Swtor. It's literally killing RP. 

Until they implement this, roleplayers looking for a new place to RP in should avoid Swtor. 

Comments

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

That's absurd. While chat bubbles are a great aid for roleplaying, it's not mandatory. AS Tim Gunn would say, just Make it Work with the tools you have. To avoid a game simply because it doesn't have chat bubbles is just wonky thinking.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

This reminds me of the guy a while back who said you can't roleplay in TOR because you can't climb trees.

Yes, I'm going to use that reference until I die or get banned.

Use the tools you have and exist within the rules of the world and you can roleplay anywhere.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

TOR not for roleplayers?

Wow. Chat bubbles? Really?

What's next?

Why Swtor is not for Bioware fans.

Why Swtor is not for Star Wars fans.

Why Swtor is not for lightsaber fans.

How much more ridiculous can we get?

Chat bubbles?

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Roleplaying? Bioware does all of that for the player with their scripted story and cutscenes. They even talk on the players behalf. Oh you mean roleplay with those other players? Those other players who are all busy following Biowares story? Is there really any point in even trying to pretend to be a unique character in this game?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

You had me, then you lost me at "Until".

I'm getting beyond fed up with people that choose their games by ticking down a checklist of features, rather than whether they enjoy playing the (*&^ing thing.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Originally posted by BadSpock

TOR not for roleplayers?

What's next?

Chat bubbles?

No it's fine for all those and its fine for PVP'ers and PVE'ers too. It's just not a good game for RP right now. Actually the lack of chatbubbles make it a horrible game for roleplayers. Avoid. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

This reminds me of the guy a while back who said you can't roleplay in TOR because you can't climb trees.

Use the tools you have and exist within the rules of the world and you can roleplay anywhere.

I support your use of that reference. 

OP, you don't need any chat bubbles. You only need chat.  If roleplayers would get off their lazy butts and just start gathering as a group to roleplay you might get somewhere.  Who cares if you can't sit in a chair or do other fluffy stuff. Act out your character.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by neonwire

Roleplaying? Bioware does all of that for the player with their scripted story and cutscenes. They even talk on the players behalf. Oh you mean roleplay with those other players? Those other players who are all busy following Biowares story? Is there really any point in even trying to pretend to be a unique character in this game?

You have no idea what roleplaying means. Stick to the pvp forum. Thanks. 

Originally posted by neonwire

I'm a combat medic. On my server, I'm pretty unique.

Now, if you're reffering to being as unique in-game as you are in the real world.........wait, I can't even finish that.

You're not unique. Not in life, not in virtual worlds.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by waynejr2

OP, you don't need any chat bubbles. You only need chat.  If roleplayers would get off their lazy butts and just start gathering as a group to roleplay you might get somewhere.  Who cares if you can't sit in a chair or do other fluffy stuff. Act out your character.

So you get a group together and next thing all your doing is scrolling up, scrolling down, trying to figure out who is talking to you and who isn't, constantly whispering people to ask "did you see my emote?" . All because of the lack of chatbubbles. Before you know it people get sick of it and the group disperses because people are getting headaches from trying to follow what is being said. Have seen it over and over again and its the reason why games like WoW and LOTRO have big social centers with constant conversation and Swtor has none. 

Game is great for PVP and PVE but roleplayers should avoid this like the plague. 

• CeridanCeridan Member UncommonPosts: 31

Well you're reference doesn't make any sense in regard to this thread.  The OP didn't say you CAN'T RP, he said RPers should avoid this game.  I think RP is possible, but more in the way you can roleplay in a single player game.

Originally posted by Ceridan

Well you're reference doesn't make any sense in regard to this thread.  The OP didn't say you CAN'T RP, he said RPers should avoid this game.  I think RP is possible, but more in the way you can roleplay in a single player game.

He said the game should be avoided by RPers because of no chat bubbles. You can't climb trees either, but neither one is necessary for RP.

My reference holds.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

I find it funny that obviously non-RPers seem to be annoyed by this.  It's no different of a complaint then wanting macros and adjustable UI. It's just want a certain group of people want. The game is missing quite a few common MMO features. Even fans of the game should know this.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Robsolf

I'm getting beyond fed up with people that choose their games by ticking down a checklist of features, rather than whether they enjoy playing the (*&^ing thing.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Shana77

So you get a group together and next thing all your doing is scrolling up, scrolling down, trying to figure out who is talking to you and who isn't, constantly whispering people to ask "did you see my emote?" . All because of the lack of chatbubbles. Before you know it people get sick of it and the group disperses because people are getting headaches from trying to follow what is being said. Have seen it over and over again and its the reason why games like WoW and LOTRO have big social centers with constant conversation and Swtor has none. 

Game is great for PVP and PVE but roleplayers should avoid this like the plague. 

Sounds like a personal problem.  OMG, I can't overcome any limitation.  Devs hand me everything.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

While I not exactly agree with OP ,lack of chat bubbles is kinda severe limitation.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

As far as Role Playing goes, the lack of an APPEARANCE TAB is what I think detracts from roleplaying - to me at least.

ORANGE gear is NOT the same and comes with its own set of issues.

In the end, RPing in MMO's will never be about what the game can give you... it's just about your ability to communicate with other players.  All you really need is a chat window.  Everything else is fluff/bonus.

However, MMORPG's could really be doing a better job nurturing, supporting and encouranging RP.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DarkPony

Oh I agree.  That's why I said "You had me..."

It's the rampant Sheldonesque attitude where "if it doesn't have X, avoid it at all costs" that sticks in my craw.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BadSpock
    TOR not for roleplayers?
    What's next?

Chat bubbles?

I turn chat bubbles off. I can see how that would aid in role playing since you can see who is saying something in the world, rather than in the chat window. That doesn't make it impossible to role play...it's just more convenient to have them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Funny how people respond who think that roleplaying is looking at an npc talk at them. Sure then I guess you guys are also roleplaying when you are looking at A-Team reruns on TV. Clearly you have no idea what roleplay is, and maybe you should go back to your own little forums. You see I value your input about Swtor and its your right to defend it passionatly, but this is the roleplaying forum and we are discussing roleplay here. So go back to your own little forums and defend Swtor there and lets keep the discussion about roleplaying in this forum. 

Thank you. 

Originally posted by DeaconX

As far as Role Playing goes, the lack of an APPEARANCE TAB is what I think detracts from roleplaying - to me at least.

I like the orange gear, but I agree that it doesn't really seem to serve the purpose of getting the look you want.  It just serves the purpose of LotRO Legendary Items 2.0.

They should go the route DCUO went, or go with a system like LotRO's wardrobe.

Sounds like a personal problem.  OMG, I can't overcome any limitation.  Devs hand me everything.

It's not personal when big RP events that are supposed to last hours are ruined because no one can follow chat. It's not personal when there is an overall lack of RP hubs because the lack of chatbubbles makes random roleplay feel like homework instead of a nice thing to do. I didn't do that. Its how the game is designed. 

And because of that, I am warning roleplayers here on this forum, that this game is not created with them in mind. And that they should avoid it like the plague. 

Funny how people respond who think that roleplaying is looking at an npc talk at them. Sure then I guess you guys are also roleplaying when you are looking at A-Team reruns on TV. Clearly you have no idea what roleplay is, and maybe you should go back to your own little forums. You see I value your input about Swtor and its your right to defend it passionatly, but this is the roleplaying forum and we are discussing roleplay here. So go back to your own little forums and defend Swtor there and lets keep the discussion about roleplaying in this forum. 

Thank you. 

Wow, somebody had a rough day at school today.

We are discussing RP. As per your OP, we are discussing whether or not chat bubbles are necessary for RP. Seems like a few of us disagree with you. Don't get mad.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by DeaconX

They should go the route DCUO went, or go with a system like LotRO's wardrobe.

Either of those would be a wonderful step in a direction I would enjoy.  One of the main things that turned me off the game was the amount of gear I REALLY hated the appearance of.  I didn't want to look at my character anymore because it looked like a joke to me.

Being able to choose what I look like is pretty important to my enjoyment of an mmo.  Maybe I'm vain :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

+1

Its not just a checklist. Its a mandate. And its pathetic tbh.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.