Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR Has 350k Concurrent Players and Minimal Impact on WOW ?

Comments

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Warcraft realms shows that wow currently has just under 250k concurrent players for the past week. Even at peak it never exceeded 500k (not counting the Chinese market).

So 350k is huge.

We'll see how it goes in 6 months.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

350k Western users logged in at the same time is actually pretty damn good.    Ive seen Developers use the 20-25% rule, looks like 1.75 million western users.    That is pretty much as many as  WOW has with western players.    Lets see what happens with the Asian markets.

YEah this is what I have seen thrown around as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Using that 350k number makes SWToR look pretty successful so far.  I don't understand why people think the new MMo has to unseat WoW to be a success, there is plenty of room for other MMo's in my opinion other than just WoW.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I play WoW and I haven't seen a huge impact in the game, my roomie still plays, our guildies still play, though they do split their time between WoW and SWTOR.   ::shrugs::  Besides who cares, I think it is awesome that there are other good themepark games that people can play.    I mean Rift has gotten better since it's launch, SWTOR will most likely only get better, and WoW with MOP will most definitely get better.

This is a win - win for all of us.

With TSW and GW2, followed by ArcheAge...maybe we are going to finally see that Golden Age of MMO's.   :)  

Oh look, who stole your ebil hater troll Teala and turned her into little Ms Optimistic?

Dun -dun - duuuun?

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

So....

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

*sigh*
    1) WoW:cataclysm was number 1 on the UK sales charts in it's first week of release, it dropped to 38 in the second week*, so where the fuck were all the "wow is dooooomed! free to play in a month!" news articles and threads back then? Maybe, just maybe in a mostly console centric country like the UK, in the 21st century with the rise of DD, the sales position of a PC game on a boxed only chart doesn't matter all that much

2) 350k concurrent users is great, skyrim** which broke the steam concurrent users record***, had some 300k at max iirc

* http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/archive/index_test.jsp&ct=110032&arch=t&lyr=2010&year=2010&week=50
    ** skyrim was a steamworks title meaning everyone who bought the game had to link it to their steam account
    *** http://www.mcvpacific.com/news/read/skyrim-sells-in-over-7-million-copies-worldwide/087412

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by buegur

Using that 350k number makes SWToR look pretty successful so far.  I don't understand why people think the new MMo has to unseat WoW to be a success, there is plenty of room for other MMo's in my opinion other than just WoW.

Because it's been hyped to Coruscant and back as a WoW killer by players not to mention the chestbanging from EA/BW. They have only themselves to blame if they feel expectations are unrealistic.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by buegur

Looks like its doing great, the big test is time.  What I see happening is the people playing it will be the test for that, they will either recommend it to thier freinds and it will grow or they will not and the game will die.   

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by DeaconX

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/tor-has-350k-concurrent-players-and-minimal-impact-on-wow/

Can't be right...right?

"After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all:

Baird Equity estimates that the game has peak concurrent users of roughly 350,000 players.

According to analysts at Cowen and Company the uptake of The Old Republic has had “minimal apparent impact” on Blizzard and Activision’s market-leading World of Warcraft.

Hopefully things pick up and the concurrent player base grows, otherwise the game will become like Warhammer Online in a few months."

edit:

Definition of CONCURRENT

1: operating or occurring at the same time

2a : running parallel b : convergent; specifically : meeting or intersecting in a point

3: acting in conjunction

4: exercised over the same matter or area by two different authorities

350k Western users logged in at the same time is actually pretty damn good.    Ive seen Developers use the 20-25% rule, looks like 1.75 million western users.    That is pretty much as many as  WOW has with western players.    Lets see what happens with the Asian markets.

No. WoW has an estimated 5 million NA/European subscribers. And SW:TOR is new and the free month is not over yet so I would wait a few months before compare real sub numbers to people playing in their free month.

I for sure wont be playing past the first month, the game does not have the MMORPG features to warrant a sub. fee.

Originally posted by Teala

I play WoW and I haven't seen a huge impact in the game, my roomie still plays, our guildies still play, though they do split their time between WoW and SWTOR.   ::shrugs::  Besides who cares, I think it is awesome that there are other good themepark games that people can play.    I mean Rift has gotten better since it's launch, SWTOR will most likely only get better, and WoW with MOP will most definitely get better.

This is a win - win for all of us.

With TSW and GW2, followed by ArcheAge...maybe we are going to finally see that Golden Age of MMO's.   :)  

Oh look, who stole your ebil hater troll Teala and turned her into little Ms Optimistic?

Dun -dun - duuuun?

It is not win - win for us who likes sandbox/virtual world MMORPGs. Only game on the horizon which fits that is ArcheAge and that is a hybrid.

Originally posted by Yamota

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/tor-has-350k-concurrent-players-and-minimal-impact-on-wow/

Can't be right...right?

"After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all:

Baird Equity estimates that the game has peak concurrent users of roughly 350,000 players.

According to analysts at Cowen and Company the uptake of The Old Republic has had “minimal apparent impact” on Blizzard and Activision’s market-leading World of Warcraft.

Hopefully things pick up and the concurrent player base grows, otherwise the game will become like Warhammer Online in a few months."

edit:

Definition of CONCURRENT

2a : running parallel b : convergent; specifically : meeting or intersecting in a point

No. WoW has an estimated 5 million NA/European subscribers. And SW:TOR is new and the free month is not over yet so I would wait a few months before compare real sub numbers to people playing in their free month.

I for sure wont be playing past the first month, the game does not have the MMORPG features to warrant a sub. fee.

WOW includes people that have tried the game, the real number is close to 2 million current users, North America and Europe.  

• rastorgrastorg Member UncommonPosts: 32

Originally posted by ZizouX

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Honestly, its probably not going to be felt in WoW because people who play WoW will try SWTOR realize that its a carbon copy of WoW with less features... and a sprinkle of story and cinematics...and they'll just leave...

So in short they didn't cancel their subscription to WoW to try SWTOR and instead  already cancelled SWTOR and running back to WoW.

I played Wow for 4 years...  I completely disagree with your statement.

I played WoW for 6 years. It was fun while it lasted. I'm playing TOR now and I'd never run back to WoW. WoW is just so incredibly boring to me now. And no, I don't think the game is a carbon copy of WoW, otherwise I would have already cancelled my account just like I did with WoW.

Can't be right...right?

edit:

Definition of CONCURRENT

WOW includes people that have tried the game, the real number is close to 2 million current users, North America and Europe.  

What are you on about? WoW has 10-11 million active subscriptions, which about half is from Asia. No idea where you get the 2 million from.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234

they also gotta remember wow is a much older game then star wars. wow has more expansions, but in reality just like what wow players had i def think its gonna grow big. it already provides an excellent pve content. only thing im worried bout is what are they going to do with the pvp. i really hope they do work on that cause im enjoying this game alot.

It is not win - win for us who likes sandbox/virtual world MMORPGs. Only game on the horizon which fits that is ArcheAge and that is a hybrid.

True but there are some promising "looking" indie projects on the horizon, and Archeage to me looks to be more sandbox than themepark, even considering it's a hybrid of the two.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Distopia

True but there are some promising "looking" indie projects on the horizon, and Archeage to me looks to be more sandbox than themepark, even considering it's a hybrid of the two.

Exactly...I'll take my sandbox any way I can get it right now.  :)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

another crosspost.  Repeat after me, I'm not that important, I'm not that important.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by aligada87

only thing im worried bout is what are they going to do with the pvp. i really hope they do work on that cause im enjoying this game alot.

News from yesterday: New Year’s PvP Update

Can't be right...right?

edit:

Definition of CONCURRENT

What are you on about? WoW has 10-11 million active subscriptions, which about half is from Asia. No idea where you get the 2 million from.

Ok I forgot to add my footnotes.   Ive read many differnt sites to see how many people where still playing Star Wars Galaxies.    They all pretty much agree that thier are 2 million North American and Europeans playing WOW.   They also agree that thier are 5 million Asian players.    WOWs real subscription is closer to 7 million people, not the 11 million.   WOW doesnt exclude people that have played and people that have tried the free trial as current players.    

Summed up WOW does not have 11 million players.    It has closer to 7 million, which is still a huge number of subs.   Lets not get into the debate about multiple accounts.    If you want to boil it down, the average player has more than one account.   You take in the gold farmers and blam you got maybe 3 million people playing WOW.  

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

The best part of this is that wow atm have 250k concurrent players in NA, i guess 350k for swtor is ok. Hater are out of arguments, they said ¨the pvp in swtor is a huge fail¨ then Bioware show us the new pvp update with  the answers and fixes that everyone was waiting. Just give up guys, swtor is a great game and it will be even bigger in the incoming months, live with ir and just give up.  

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by hikaru77

The best part of this is that wow atm have 250k concurrent players in NA, i guess 350k for swtor is ok. Hater are out of arguments, they said ¨the pvp in swtor is a huge fail¨ then Bioware show us the new pvp update with  the answers and fixes that everyone was waiting. Just give up guys, swtor is a great game and it will be even bigger in the incoming months, live with ir and just give up.  

Well SWTOR just came out so comparing its numbers to what WoW currently has isn't really a good comparison. not really picking on you because I know you're simply responding to the OP.

Really as with many topics made it is too early to be looking at these numbers and coming to any conclusion one way or the other. Now a couple months from now would be a different story.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Distopia

Exactly...I'll take my sandbox any way I can get it right now.  :)

I'm right there with you on that, as long as it's a real sandbox :). No more MO's or DF's please.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by ZizouX

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Honestly, its probably not going to be felt in WoW because people who play WoW will try SWTOR realize that its a carbon copy of WoW with less features... and a sprinkle of story and cinematics...and they'll just leave...

So in short they didn't cancel their subscription to WoW to try SWTOR and instead  already cancelled SWTOR and running back to WoW.

I played Wow for 4 years...  I completely disagree with your statement.

I've played WoW since late 2004... I remember leaving college and picking it up from a local best buy.    I also disagree  SWTOR is solidly better than WoW right now.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Man.. Who CARES if a bunch of nerds refuse to play another game? They could grow old and die playing WoW and it would cease to make any difference anywhere..

Why do I keep seeing these comparison threads pop up about population? Some of those WoW guys have spent years on their characters, you think they are just going to let all of that go easily?

No matter what the game, they will not leave WoW.. Doesn't matter..

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't really know if those numbers are good or bad for a title that has just launched to be honest. Seems a little soon to tell either way.

If someone said a game would have 1million active subs 6-12 months from release with an average of 100k concurrent users, I'd be more apt to call it a success than 350k at launch with the free month. On the flipside, I don't see how 350k concurrent users can be perceived as a negative thing either. *shrug*

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.