Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR Has 350k Concurrent Players and Minimal Impact on WOW ?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/tor-has-350k-concurrent-players-and-minimal-impact-on-wow/

Can't be right...right?

"After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all:

Baird Equity estimates that the game has peak concurrent users of roughly 350,000 players.

According to analysts at Cowen and Company the uptake of The Old Republic has had “minimal apparent impact” on Blizzard and Activision’s market-leading World of Warcraft.

Hopefully things pick up and the concurrent player base grows, otherwise the game will become like Warhammer Online in a few months."

edit:

Definition of CONCURRENT

1: operating or occurring at the same time

2a : running parallel b : convergent; specifically : meeting or intersecting in a point

3: acting in conjunction

4: exercised over the same matter or area by two different authorities <concurrent jurisdiction>

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

What's all this fuss about UK game sales?

When did the UK become the primary market for MMOs?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Im not sure it will ever be like Warhammer.  Or be any kind of failed project. 

But the novelty is going to subside.  This game isnt bad.  I just wouldnt call it necessarily good.  Once people get over it being "STAR WARS!  OMG!  BIOWARE!  WEEEE! " its going to move to the background.  Give it three months and see where it is. 

If it werent for it being Star Wars, and if Bioware didnt have its massive popularity this game would be barely a blimp in the genre because its not particularly well made in comparison to other mmorpgs.  It may improve in time and Im sure it will. 

But again, give it a few months.  This will never kill WoW, and it will never even begin to compare to its success.  Its going to fade into teh background soon enough.  Just wait. 

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

350k online at the same time is pretty impressive. 

Thats not total subscriber numbers btw, thats the amount of people all online at the same time. You can probably quadruple that or more for the amount of subscribers

Also this is just an estimation. There is no basis in fact whatsoever and no stats to back it up.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Lol, are we still making a big deal out of the fact that box sales of the game in UK has slowed?  A week after Christmas?  Really?  

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Vast majority of Wow subscriptions are in China... that's why NA/EU sales of SWTOR won't put a dent in Wow numbers.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by stragen001

Thats not total subscriber numbers btw, thats the amount of people all online at the same time. You can probably quadruple that or more for the amount of subscribers

Also this is just an estimation. There is no basis in fact whatsoever and no stats to back it up.

Good point.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

Honestly, its probably not going to be felt in WoW because people who play WoW will try SWTOR realize that its a carbon copy of WoW with less features... and a sprinkle of story and cinematics...and they'll just leave...

So in short they didn't cancel their subscription to WoW to try SWTOR and instead  already cancelled SWTOR and running back to WoW.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Honestly, its probably not going to be felt in WoW because people who play WoW will try SWTOR realize that its a carbon copy of WoW with less features... and a sprinkle of story and cinematics...and they'll just leave...

So in short they didn't cancel their subscription to WoW to try SWTOR and instead  already cancelled SWTOR and running back to WoW.

I played Wow for 4 years...  I completely disagree with your statement.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Got to love how a game fails if it doesn't have WOW numbers. Who the frig cares? If it has a healthy population that subscribes to it every month then it is a successful MMORPG. Period. I could care less about WOW.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by DeaconX

Hopefully things pick up and the concurrent player base grows, otherwise the game will become like Warhammer Online in a few months."

It is never going to become like Warhammer because it isn't as subpar in PvE and since PvP isn't a real focus of this game the fact that it is lacking doesn't really make as big of a difference as it does in a game that was supposed to highlight that feature.

It will also never become like WoW. The design of the game is going to be a turnoff for more than a few poeple. This game is probably going to have a rather impressive population playing. Just not on the level of WoW.

Granted if they do a shitty job with adding content and patching then that will change my prediction. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/01/tor-has-350k-concurrent-players-and-minimal-impact-on-wow/

Can't be right...right?

"After only a couple weeks online, the news for The Old Republic has gone from good to bad. Following some drama over the weekend, news has come out that after one week on the UK charts the game dropped from #10 to #38. Now the analysts are stepping in and while they see a healthy MMO market, they don’t think that TOR is hurting WoW at all:

Baird Equity estimates that the game has peak concurrent users of roughly 350,000 players.

According to analysts at Cowen and Company the uptake of The Old Republic has had “minimal apparent impact” on Blizzard and Activision’s market-leading World of Warcraft.

You think that's bad?  ... How many people does one pro football stadium seat?  I think it's average of like 60k.  350K, every day...that's really good.

Consider, WoW didn't start at 1 million or 11 million, it slowly over 4 months and upwards increased to exponential numbers.  Stop finding negativity where there is none, thanks.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by ZizouX

I played Wow for 4 years...  I completely disagree with your statement.

I played WoW for 4 years myself, and I also completely disagree with his statement.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

swtor has its own problems, but who cares what impact it has on WoW?  As far as I am concerned, WoW can live forever, and the people that like WoW stay there...Then different games that I like, I can go play...Everyone can be happy....

I just don't like everyone trying to be WoW...Which thankfully is now starting to happen, after a sad 5ish year span imo.

It is negative news but its not really worth noting... None if it matters as long as the game has players that are happy with it. If its not profitable they will change business models... Only time will tell on that.

I wish SWTORO well but it just wasn't for me.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

350k CONCURRENT players is pretty damn good.  Especially since they've released in several markets in varying time zones.  Declaring that to be bad news almost makes me think the article author is either unaware of what "concurrent" means, or is deliberately trying to mislead readers who don't know what it means.

In an other P2P MMO except WoW, you couldn't reach that number if EVERY one of their players logged in.  And most F2P MMO's, besides.

Lastly, how is a lack of negative impact on WoW bad for TOR?  I swear it's like these idiots think these MMO developers are football teams.  What's happening is pretty much what I expected would happen.  The game is introducing a large group of people to MMO's that normally wouldn't play them.  Much like WoW did.

Originally posted by Xthos

swtor has its own problems, but who cares what impact it has on WoW?  As far as I am concerned, WoW can live forever, and the people that like WoW stay there...Then different games that I like, I can go play...Everyone can be happy....

I just don't like everyone trying to be WoW...Which thankfully is now starting to happen, after a sad 5ish year span imo.

Nice way of thinking. The only part that I disagree with is the last 2 sentences. I STILL think that games are trying to be WoW and its so stupid that they even attempt to.

It would be like me dressing up as someone famous like oh say Brad Pitt... and then trying to ask for the money he does to do a movie.

Why hire a rip off Brad when you could get the real deal?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Good point.

just to put it into perspective, Eve averages about 42k concurrent users at peak times (UK at least!!) so for a brand new game right out of the gate to be averaging nearly 8x that is impressive.. i have no idea what the concurrent user numbers are for WoW.. but..  .. given the Eve analogy that has around 300 -350k subbed accounts, then that would indicate a possible overall total sub count of 2.5 - 3 million..  of course its all pretty much guesswork but.. its about as valid as the OPs suppositions image

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

It is negative news but its not really worth noting...

How is it negative though? Having 350k online concurrently during peak hours seems rather impressive to me. Not to mention there's nothing to say that number won't grow. It isn't like WoW or other popular mmos  garnered their impressive player numbers over night.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by Xthos

Nice way of thinking. The only part that I disagree with is the last 2 sentences. I STILL think that games are trying to be WoW and its so stupid that they even attempt to.

It would be like me dressing up as someone famous like oh say Brad Pitt... and then trying to ask for the money he does to do a movie.

Why hire a rip off Brad when you could get the real deal?

I meant more in the development cycle, not currently released...I can see your point, should of clarified that.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

How is it negative though? Having 350k online concurrently during peak hours seems rather impressive to me. Not to mention there's nothing to say that number won't grow. It isn't like WoW or other popular mmos  garnered their impressive player numbers over night.

This number really says nothing positive or negative about the game.  The one thing I will say though is the NO western market MMORPG since WoW has managed to exceed the subs it had during its first month.  So the odds are really stacked against SWTOR in this regard.  If it does manage to exceed the subs it has during month 1, that will be an impressive feat.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Not going to be able to tell until the first month or two is out, I personally don't think the game will push 1 million + subs at any point other than maybe the first month. We'll see how it goes, if the game does lose subscribers fast like all the others over the years I seriously doubt major publishers will put the money into making an MMO again. On the other hand we wont be seeing any more WoW clones as they'll finally get the message these games are very dated and boring now and people want change. 

I'm hoping Titan is good but Blizzard have been nothing but a let down with WoWs development.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

This number really says nothing positive or negative about the game.  The one thing I will say though is the NO western market MMORPG since WoW has managed to exceed the subs it had during its first month.  So the odds are really stacked against SWTOR in this regard.  If it does manage to exceed the subs it has during month 1, that will be an impressive feat.

Much as I love SWTOR, I dont think thats going to happen. The industry has changed a lot since wow was realeased. At the time it was one of very few MMOs available and far more polished than the others. Now, there are hundreds of MMOs with new ones coming out all the time, and the attention span of players has decreased significantly too..

Considering the huge amount of box sales though, even if they retain 50% as subscibers they will still have more subs than any other MMO except WoW. As they add content and features and word spreads about how good the game is, I think the numbers will slowly increase, after the inital drop once the free 30days ends. 

Also, remember the quote from BW or LA (cant remember) saying that the game would be substantially profitable with only 500k subscribers.....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by tixylix

I'm hoping Titan is good but Blizzard have been nothing but a let down with WoWs development.

Son... save your self the trouble and just push it out of your mind allready... Blizzard have found a formula that works and they will use it again and again... they always have and they always will... just look at warstarcraft 1-1-2-2-3

Me... i think swtor will settle in at 750-500k subs and maybe 120k concurent... Placing a nutkick from Eve.

This have been a good conversation

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by ktanner3

Got to love how a game fails if it doesn't have WOW numbers. Who the frig cares? If it has a healthy population that subscribes to it every month then it is a successful MMORPG. Period. I could care less about WOW.

^THIS

QFT ... srsly

anyway i don t care about wow or swtor , i like swtor and played wow from start to world first kil jaeden kill...

but who cares about the overall numbers when your server is full and u find a group for everything when ever u want ...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Can't be right...right?

edit:

Definition of CONCURRENT

1: operating or occurring at the same time

2a : running parallel b : convergent; specifically : meeting or intersecting in a point

3: acting in conjunction

4: exercised over the same matter or area by two different authorities

350k Western users logged in at the same time is actually pretty damn good.    Ive seen Developers use the 20-25% rule, looks like 1.75 million western users.    That is pretty much as many as  WOW has with western players.    Lets see what happens with the Asian markets.