Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bonus Series? Or Troll Series? You Decide!

Comments

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Didn't realise someone could get annoyed if offered more content in game. I always did the bonus series because they usually had a sweet reward on the end. Don't see why writing a whole article about it.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I love them :)

But I will this game just makes me feel buried in the content.  By the time I got to Nar Shadaa I was almost too high level, by Tatooine I was too high level and the only quest I did there apart from my story was the Bonus series.  Alderaan I can do a bit of but not much because I am already Taris level, lol.  Hoping to get myself back into more level appropriate stuff at Taris.

On the good side it sure feels like I have missed tons upon tons of quests so my alts will have plenty of new things to see too :)

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Yeah - and you can't drop some chain quests  so if you leave the planet they will hold one of your 25 available quest slots. The limit of 25 quests is another thing blindly copied form WoW and the one which I can't explain in the modern MMO. WHY?????? Can't you just track all the quests I take?

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Lets see! The comments about 'not enough content' and 'too much content' have already been posted to death already. So....

I will simply address the OP's original point.

Restaurant: "Sorry girly, no tip for you! You didn't smile right when you served my table!"

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

My Problem with SWTOR is far more deep rooted than some simple Bonus Series... It is the fact that -EVERY- mission is a god damned 'kill quest', save for a handful which are usually located in the city.

I am loving my characters story, but when every quest is the same except for what or who you are killing, it gets very monotonous.

It's like watching a movie, but every 10 minutes, the movie is interrupted by jahova's witnesses asking me whether I've heard about Jesus.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by elocke

On my alts however, I will probably do them since I won't be rushing as much just to see each new planet.  I just wish they would name them better, I find "Bonus Series" ruins immersion a bit.  Let's give these mini arc's a star wars oriented title or something.

I like that idea.  At least something like:  "Balmorra Prologue:  <relevent title>"

I suppose the whole idea behind the "bonus series" nameplate is to make it clear that the world story is over, and now you're just dealing with the aftermath.  It may not be clear to space-barrians.  But then, if they're space-barrians, I suppose it doesn't matter much.

On the OP.  I'm a recovering completionist.  Not only that, I've been playing since long before MMO's had quest content that got you all the way through your levels(or quests, period).  Games as recent as Tabula Rasa had grinding gaps a mile long.

So therefore, my first character through LotRO, for example, did EVERY STINKING QUEST, assuming that sooner or later, there would be a gap where I'd have to go zerging through a field leaving piles of bodies in my wake.  There would be some quests I couldn't find groups for, and so I'd have a "quest log management minigame". 

So, when BW made the decision to make it blatantly obvious what level you should be when you start a planet and when you finish it, it actually helps someone like me quite a bit.  I don't have to worry about dry spots, and I can choose whether or not to take the bonus quests based on whether I like the planet or not.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by DaddyDark

Yeah - and you can't drop some chain quests  so if you leave the planet they will hold one of your 25 available quest slots. The limit of 25 quests is another thing blindly copied form WoW and the one which I can't explain in the modern MMO. WHY?????? Can't you just track all the quests I take?

I get that too, sometimes, and I suspect it's a bug.  You should report them.

Like many things in an MMO, such as inventory, quest logs are a database that use a significant amount of resources.  Even when you're not picking up or turning in requests, the DB gets pinged on a regular basis, for example, whenever a player is in sight of quest related nodes, NPC's, and mobs.  It's not just a matter of the quest text showing up when you press L.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

just another example of why you can never please everyone. would you be happier if you could have written an article about not having enough content in the game?

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

complainers will complain, about ANYTHING. Did you complete every quest in world of warcraft? or Everquest?

honestly now,, mmorpg.com has to be the biggest haven of complainers i've EVER seen in my entire life,[mod edit]

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Tamanous

Gotta love bitching about getting extra content.

For me it was never a complaint about 'too much', it was a complaint about the nature of it.

Kill 45 lizards? Really? And then to cynically give it to you after you had just completed quests that required you to kill the very same lizards...

Screw that for 'content' tbh.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

After reading this article I'm thinking that Mike doesn't understand what trolling is, which would make a lot of sense...

Let alone we are complaining that the story continues? Really? 

No an NPC walking up to you after you are done with a planet to offer you more story line, is not trolling you.  In fact you'd think offering peole alternative ways and areas to level up would be a good thing.

I'm very disappointed in this author, shame on you OP.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

YOU GUYS ARE WAY TOO TENSE!

That being said, I feel you MikeB! I just finished up the Tatooine main arc and the npc at the spaceport literally said: "You think you're done here!" And I was like: "NooOOOoOo way! Don't do it.....DOOOON'T do it to me!" But guess what? He dunt it.. Tatooine bonus series in my face! And again like you, I'm a stickler for completion. So I unwillingly made my way to the quest hub to finish up as quickly as possible. Pleasently I found that this series wasn't as bad as the Nar Shaddaa bonus series. Also it's not that content is bad, as you pointed out. It's more about feeling the urge to move on and being hit by a phonebook size mountain of paperwork at quittin time! REALLY BOSS?!?

Anywho, enough about my good, bad times in SWTOR. Time to dive back into my space game railway dailies and off to Alderaan FINALLY! Cheers!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• puturuputuru Member Posts: 8

troll face

on

home page

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Ramonski7

YOU GUYS ARE WAY TOO TENSE!

That being said, I feel you MikeB! I just finished up the Tatooine main arc and the npc at the spaceport literally said: "You think you're done here!" And I was like: "NooOOOoOo way! Don't do it.....DOOOON'T do it to me!" But guess what? He dunt it.. Tatooine bonus series in my face! And again like you, I'm a stickler for completion. So I unwillingly made my way to the quest hub to finish up as quickly as possible. Pleasently I found that this series wasn't as bad as the Nar Shaddaa bonus series. Also it's not that content is bad, as you pointed out. It's more about feeling the urge to move on and being hit by a phonebook size mountain of paperwork at quittin time! REALLY BOSS?!?

Anywho, enough about my good, bad times in SWTOR. Time to dive back into my space game railway dailies and off to Alderaan FINALLY! Cheers!

Haha. Yep, this is pretty much it. :P

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

DK is just as described. With my Imperial Operative, I sat down for what I figured would be a 30 minute session to tie up lose ends and finally get my ship, only to have it take two sessions and almost 3 1/2 hours to finally win my freedom.

With my Sith overlord dead, I looked forward to a little under cover freedom, only to have a new Sith Lord ready to ruin my day the moment I set foot on my ship.

I leveled four Republic characters up previously and usually was able to escape Corescant close to level 16. I didn't get off DK until level 18 and that was after skipping some side quests. The game is already too linear, with out the game gating you with mandatory quest lines that take far too long to play through to resolution.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Quesa

Bonus quests are optional.  If you're going to have OCD and finish EVERY SINGLE QUEST it's going to feel like this.

I'm going to have to agree with this.

There is a certain contingent of gamers who just have to complete everything. I can sort of feel this but I also have too few fingesr to count how many times, in any game, I said to myself "I'm not interested" and walked away.

I've done it several times in SWToR and pretty much most of my time in Rift.

Find what you like to do and do it. Avoid things you dont' like.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Is this really an article from a pseduo-professional columnist complaining about extra game content? And did your pathetic excuse for an editor so desperately need website content that you felt it was ok to put up what is basically a childish tantrum over "too much content" as worthwhile content.

MMORPG - your standards, while always questionable, have now sunk to a new and obviously desperate low.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

I completely agree. I was so happy to finally leave Taris (somehow I found it quite blah) and finish my storylines there, and then... its's back to square one. It's very anticlimatic, and quite irritating. 

I think bonus series are a good idea, I just think they shouldn't be slapped on at the end of all your troubles the way they seem to be. Story-wise it could have been a great way to make people visit the planet again in later levels. "oh Jedi we need your help! After all the work you did here something terrible has happened, please make for (insert planet here) with all speed."

Just my two cents.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

The first time I did one of these bonus series was when I was really looking forward to getting off of Taris (was above the content level). I kept getting more and more quests, and I really didn't know what was going on. I think the final reward was worth it though, something orange if I recall correctly :)

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Like people mentioned, they are optional. You will reach level 50 just by doing the main series quite comfortably.

I have also noticed that different people like different zones. Some guildies hate Nar Shaddaa and other love it. Some hate Tatoiine and others dislike it a lot. I have my own preferences as well. I liked Taris and Hoth, don't like Corellia that much also it does have some nice features.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

So the OP is complaining about there being too much content in the game?! Where do they get these writers? More is better then less, just because the Op is in a rush to reach 50 and end game ie game over. Doesn't mean everyone is of the same mind

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I don't know if the article covered it... oh wait it didn't.... well I will.

You can skip quests by just doing the class quests and then going off to do the next planet. you don't have to stick around doing ALL the quests.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Rhaycen

On my main I haven't done any of these Bonus series of quests. As I've found that with doing the daily space combat and the occasional flashpoint I'm already outleveling the normal content at a significant pace without spending my time on these bonus quests.

At some point in the future I will go back and do these things ... but right now I'm handling these quests lines exactly as they are: A Bonus you can choose to do or not to do.

Then you're missing out on some of the best reward items for higher level characters. But you wouldn't know that because you skipped them. :) Space combat is fun too.

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Tyratops

I find them to be frustrating as well at times because I also have the 'I must complete everything' syndrome.

You do understand that's not the game's problem?

Bonus series are a blast. I do them because they are fun and getting purple mods/enchancements for my slotted gear is always a good thing. Voss is just amazing for the gear.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

I honestly dont understand this article.

Aren't articles on media sites supposed to be consrtuctive and not biased? This article reads like a rant against the SWTOR quest system.

Isn't it OBVIOUS that these bonus series are for people who LOVE to quest? And why Michael creates an impression in this article that you are SUPPOSED to, or as it is a MANDATORY thing to do these Bonus series?

I think that articles on MMORPG.COM have become a bit immature. They lack perception and lean more towards negativity instead of outlining both positive and negative of the content the article is about.

SWTOR is based on STORY. And whats cooler can be than even MORE story for people who like the STORY?

Since you've asked Michael in your article to tell you how much of an idiot you are - you are not an idiot, you seem to lack the perception of the fifth pillar depth that SWTOR is based on. I feel influence of long years in WoW in you *wink*. The Force is not strong in you, my friend.