Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes

GallaidGallaid Member Posts: 118

Hello
i want to get into this game it shounds extremly good. but i have a question about the pvp. if you pvp and die do you have to loot your own body. and if i were you become a theif could i still a far amount for stuff for is it just alittle bit..

Comments

• GallaidGallaid Member Posts: 118

I was also wondering how indepth is the crafting system??

• Edward78Edward78 Member Posts: 245

Ok I have played the game before so here is some info, PvP is 99.9% everywhere off newbie isle, you are there untill level 20. Player graves are lootable, you don't loose your equiped stuff though. If you are wearing it, the only thing that happens is a durebility hit, damage to equiped stuff. You can also build a city, but it can be sieged to. You should jion a guild when you can, 20+. The crafting is done by city vendors, if you own one you can make stuff there. The only real prob. is the population, but a new lore server is coming soon so I would wait for that. I am planning to reactivate my account to come to the lore server. As far as charecter creation, look on the site to much to mention here.

What is a Lore sever??

• Edward78Edward78 Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by Gallaid
    What is a Lore sever??

It will actually follow the story of the game, I just know that much now.

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

What is a Lore sever??

A Lore Server is the Dev team listening to the players.  But the moron griefers in this game are going to go there and screw with all the RPers anyways so it's a waste.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• jaw30jaw30 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by arvainis
    What is a Lore sever??A Lore Server is the Dev team listening to the players. But the moron griefers in this game are going to go there and screw with all the RPers anyways so it's a waste.

I'm hopeful there will be real consequences as part of the ruleset for those who obviously and intentionally attempt to bypass the lore structure.

However, I feel that TS and Ventrilo will allow those individuals to bypass the lore ruleset entirely with very little difficulty. Imagine a fighting force of 30 that is largely ARAC, but fits into three guild charters. They group up in three 10-man groups (all lore-compliant) but talk in TS and Ventrilo to coordinate actions in ways unintended on the server...

That could ruin it for everyone.

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

So to answer the guys question...

Shadowane has quite possibly the best character development of any MMORPG on the market.  I won't lie tho, the thief class is struggling right now.  You can steal, but scouts can detect you and finding a group that doesn't have one is hard, so you'll almost always get caught and have to fight, in which case you'll probably die.

As far as the PvP goes...  It's unmatched right now.  Make a toon and join a guild - you'll learn real quick what classes, proffesions, races, disciplines, and skills appeal to you the most.  You guildies will probably have no problem helping you learn about weapon stats and spell effects and what-not.  Though I've been playing since release and there's still stuff I don't know without looking it up sometimes.

As the others have mentioned, a lore server is coming out soon.  A lot of players are returning for it, some of them carebear guilds, some of them RPK guilds.  Should be interesting, the way the server is going to be set up players and guilds will have to be more strategic when creating toons...

I could tell you more, but you should really just go to the website to learn more or try the 20-day triel offered here.  A lot of people are just taking it easy right now till the Lore server comes out, so it's a "safe" time to learn about the game.

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• AwakenedAwakened Member UncommonPosts: 595

Originally posted by jaw30

Originally posted by arvainis

What is a Lore sever??
    A Lore Server is the Dev team listening to the players. But the moron griefers in this game are going to go there and screw with all the RPers anyways so it's a waste.

I'm hopeful there will be real consequences as part of the ruleset for those who obviously and intentionally attempt to bypass the lore structure.

However, I feel that TS and Ventrilo will allow those individuals to bypass the lore ruleset entirely with very little difficulty. Imagine a fighting force of 30 that is largely ARAC, but fits into three guild charters. They group up in three 10-man groups (all lore-compliant) but talk in TS and Ventrilo to coordinate actions in ways unintended on the server...

That could ruin it for everyone.

Maps can't have infinite trees anymore, now you'll be limited to the number allows by realms, so it would be extremly hard for a guild to manage multiple fake cities because people will be blood-thirsty for land.

You won't be able to buff people outside of your charter either, so dwarf buffbots will be of no use to charters that don't allow dwarf priests, just an example...

Exploiting the lore ruleset will be very hard if not impossible, the devs did an excellent job of thinking ahead this time.

What greater tribute to free will than the power to question the highest of authority? What greater display of loyalty than blind faith? What greater gift than free will? What greater love than loyalty?

• gammorazgammoraz Member Posts: 37

Hello
    i want to get into this game it shounds extremly good. but i have a question about the pvp. if you pvp and die do you have to loot your own body. and if i were you become a theif could i still a far amount for stuff for is it just alittle bit..

Im not exactly sure what your question regarding theives is, so Ill give you a general breakdown on the class.

- Once you make a successful "Peek" into someone's inventory, you can attempt to "Steal" any item you wish. You generally want to steal important items such as runes, deeds, or IDed high end drops. Stealing from the player's pool of gold will only yield a small percentage of the amount, so its best to grab the most valuable items before you make your escape (or re-Hide).

- While thieves are considered the underdog of the Rogue world atm, you get Grandmaster (GM) Dagger powers and GMed battle stances (to quote someone "Thieves are the Warriors of the Rogue world"). No special bells and whistles, just the highest expertise of dagger fighting, stance dancing, and is also the *only* Rogue class to have *both* Dodge and Parry skill. In addition, Thieves also get GM Crossbow powers.

http://chronicle.ubi.com/Dagger.php

http://chronicle.ubi.com/Thief.php

-With the weapon skills and stances listed above, you also have the ability to reach *very* high Defense causing other melees and even spell casters to miss you. Should you be Def debuffed, the Dagger line has an ATTK DEbuff. 2 as a matter of fact. Although focus fire will mean you dying.

-The thief class is a very "finesse" type character that usually requires that you know everything about your weapon skills and your opponents capabilities in order to counter them. Contrary to popular belief, in the right hands (and with your standard set of buffs and decent gear) the thief owns pretty hardcore in 1v1 situations, even 1v2. But overall the Thief brings nothing to the table in a group environment so is usually frowned upon in GvG.

-And yeah, Scouts are pretty much your mortal enemy and there are waaaaay more of them than thieves. But luckily most noob scouts are nothing but chumps and go down as such.

Anyways.. yeah.

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207

When you die you leave a grave which anyone can loot, so if you pk'd they will loot it, if not you can go back and loot it if you get there first. You only drop the things you have looted like money, armor, weapons and runes. You dont lose your stuff you have equipted.

You should read the thief board on the shadowbane sight, it might have more info you interested in.

Thanks for all of your guys help. i was also wondering how is the crafting if any in the game. and since its is mostly pvp how do you get a better weapon then the other guy your tring to kill. when i played UO before Age of Shadows i pvped alot. but i still pveed for weapon and money. is there someway that you get magic weapons so you have an edge when fighting the guilds. I was also wondering if it was start up open PvP like you can attack anyone thats not in a faction or guild type thing. so if a guy is saying stupid stuff you can just chop him down with a sword?? and does anyone know when the lore sever is goin to start.

i have to say this shounds like the best game that came out since UO and SWG. im a UO before the age of shadows guy and i played it religously. this seems like it has the most depth of anygame. i was looking at the web site and i saw all of the different skills and guilds and Disciplines.

but now that i have heard all of this good stuff what is the most annoying thing about the game. besides the lack of people.

• Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71

When you first create your character, you will be put on a little island (called noob island to most) to start leveling and learn the interface/feel of the game for a little bit.  There have been guides written to help you there.  www.shadowbania.com has one I think, as well as other "getting started" tips.  Noob island is completely safe, you cannot kill players there.

You can leave noob island on your own will when you hit level 10, though you really should stay until level 20.  There will be nothing on the mainland that you would be able to kill effectivly at level 10.  But at 20, most of the zones surrounding the safehold cities (note: only the cities themselves are safe, anywhere but these safezones and noob island is PvP areas and you can be killed, as well as kill others) have level 20-ish mobs.

Another route you can take is joining a guild at 20.  You can find some nice guilds that will help you level and learn more about the game.  On the otherhand, you will find alot of jerks too that will most likely turn you away because in their minds, they are the leetest of the leet.  It's ok, you will get to kill them later on.

You can PvP any time you are off noob island as said before, but you really want to just try and level (sometimes someone will PL you which involves you doing nothing and a higher level character kills mobs your level) to at least 50.  At 50 you will have most of your basic powers GMed (I say basic but sometimes those powers are the ones that make or break the class/build you are making) and should be on your way to train your exalted power if your class has one.

While "exalted" power may seem like a huge benefit, it is really nothing more then a regular power (though somtimes class defining) that costs alot of money to GM.  For instance, a Templars exalted power is a transformation spell that turns them into an archon of some sorts - it grants buffs to stats as well as gives natural flight (and makes them look sweet too).  Assassins on the other hand get a rather crappy shadow pet as their exalted power.  No one trains this for good reason - pets in Shadowbane are usually not that great.  Wizards and Huntress' get good pets, but all the rest pretty much suck.  This is due to the fact that most players now are seasoned vets and have their templates fine tuned and just cut them down really fast.  Two years ago, when most people were new, they might have found themselves dieing to pets on a few occasions.

The PvP you will find in Shadowbane can range from another group comming through trying to kill your xp group, (though the afk powerleveling is pretty widespread, expect that to change with the lore server) to 1 on 1 fights in merchant towns and all the way around to fights over resource mines and all out wars on enemy cities.

I don't know more about the lore server then anyone else, but the common throught is somewhere in september.