Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new hope.

I didn't do much reading regarding SWTOR. I didn't enter into any of the betas or watch live feeds of other people showing off portions of the game. I didn't get excited for the game to release or read about it in magazines. This allowed me to keep expectations grounded and to stop the hype machine from giving me false - inflated expectations.

I enter into the game and I am thinking, this character creation isn't fantastic and essentially boils down to human, red human, horned human, or lekku human. I think, okay not a game breaker but I certainly expected better from a new MMO.

Next, I create my sith warrior and I play through the beginning areas on Korriban. I am having a pretty good time with my class quests but the quests in the world are a different matter. I quickly find that watching a bioware cinematic for what essentially boils down to killing mob's with zero AI in packs of 3 isn't exactly or even remotely funner because of the said cinematic than any previous MMO. I find that I press space bar through not all of them but for sure the ones that I can tell are cut and pasted quests.

I continue my leveling up to 10 and I enter into PvP - the first game being huttball. I snag the ball at some point and sort of walk around without knowing what I am doing, I laugh about it and die often. Once, I figure out exactly how to play the warzone - I have moderate fun at it. The biggest issue being the insane amount of crowd control in the game makes you have less control over your character than should ever be allowed. Getting chain cc'd from full health to dead isn't exactly a good time.

I continue leveling my sith warrior... Well, marauder at this point and notice that throughout the leveling experience, I am having a pretty tough time killing groups of monsters without blowing defense cooldowns every single pull. I watch other classes in the game destroying the same monsters without any problems. I follow an inquisitor and a mercenary bounty hunter around a little bit and decide to try a different class after getting to level 34.

I start over again and roll up a trooper. I notice that he is exponentially more powerful than the melee combat while having the ability to stay at range. He does more damage, can heal, and doesn't have any problems soloing pretty much anything. I play him to 25 and I can say that life as a commando is good.

I get curious about a stealthing class, so I roll me up a smuggler and go for scoundrel upon hitting level 10. Play him in PvP right away and lead the damage and killing blows at level 10 with basically just back blasting people with my shotgun. Was miles easier to setup kills with him as opposed to my sith warrior. Just felt wrong that both of the other classes that I played had the ability to heal and dps - while the sith warrior can only dps and still do pitiful damage in comparison. Now keep in mind that I play melee classes in every game that I play. I know how to play them.

The questing system got old for me very quickly. I only watched the class quest cutscenes for story for any alts. I hit spacebar and in fact spammed it for pretty much all alts. The illusion of choice in the game reminds me of Dragon Age 2 which is not a good thing. Nothing you do in the game actually makes a difference in the game world. Even in a phased instance that should be there just for you.

Crafting is so lackluster, I don't even see why they bothered putting in the game at all. Maybe, I was just expecting more but it is pitiful at least to me. No customization and nothing in the high end crafting that even makes it worthwhile to skill up. Everyone is a bio because it's the only crafting skill worth using at all.

Space combat which I was a huge fan of in Star Wars Galaxies is executed so poorly, it could have been executed better if it had been canned all together. It manages to be more linear the game itself which is amazing.

The clunkiness of not having an auto attack and yet having the global cooldown of 1.5 seconds makes combat feel so slow that its just not fun to do. The fact that animations get borked up and never go off is something that should have been fixed in it's 6 year development cycle.

Flashpoint nightmare monsters and raid monsters that are in the game STILL have placeholder names instead of actual ones. I am talking about boss_beast_1, boss_beast_2... Thats how unpolished the game is - it's amazingly bad.

The GUI for the game is worse than any modern MMORPG. It's clunky, it's unwieldy, it's not even customizable at all. I find it amazing that it doesn't support even allowing one to move the quickbars or the pet bars such a massive oversight that I honestly feel as though the only thing they cared about at all in the game were the voice overs.

I cannot be hopeful that this game will have longevity at least to me. I cancelled my subscription after playing for  16 days. I used to be a huge Bioware fan but with Dragon Age 2 and now SWTORO - I cannot help but feel as though the company that used to make games for gamers now make those games solely for money. I am disappointed and disheartened by the continuing decline in complexity and freedom that I feel an MMORPG should provide.

In the end, I am sure Bioware will have many players paying for what essentially is the worst of the KOTOR games they have made.

To those of you who chose to stick it out with Bioware and SWTORO - I hope that you have as much fun with the game as I was sure that I was going to have and in the end failed to.

I would rate the game a 5/10.

Here is to hoping that Archeage or Guild Wars 2 will bring new hope to  the genre.

PS: Empire for life.

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Here is to hoping that Archeage or Guild Wars 2 will bring new hope to the the genre.

Yeah lol, let's hope they bring something entirely new...like...maybe elfs and wizards!

New?! Yeah...we have such a plethora of these types of games it makes me sick.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by TUX426

Here is to hoping that Archeage or Guild Wars 2 will bring new hope to the the genre.

Yeah lol, let's hope they bring something entirely new...like...maybe elfs and wizards!

At least the two he listed have fundamental differences from most other fantasy types.

They aren't themeparks.

GW2 might be, idk. Its free though ;P

.. But in a good way.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

Was actually talking about game mechanics. I am not a stickler for new races.  I am very much in the boat of if you get more races and unique ones awesome but I prefer quality gameplay mechanics, crafting mechanics, and freedom in my games more than races.

Not that I would devalue what you hope comes in new MMO's. I just don't think races are the problem. At least not for me.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

+1

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

game was going to be released before Dec 25th no matter what; so here you have it

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Blacknd

At least the two he listed have fundamental differences from most other fantasy types.

They aren't themeparks.

GW2 free?!?!   Are you serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dude, you'll have more store bought sh!t in that game than any game before it. Trust me, the game will not be "free" lol!

Hmmm...not a themepark?! So...more like APB or Tabula Rasa? And LOL...you don't even KNOW.

Sorry dude...swords, ogres, orcs, magicians, dragons, horses, castles...blah blah blah...more of the same old f'king crap. I'm SICK of "fantasy" games.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Lvl 10 smuggler doesn't really do much btw....

Smells trollish.

Originally posted by Angier2758

Smells trollish.

Um, how would that make anything trollish. A level 10 smuggler scoundrel doing back shot I can crit for 3200 in warfronts with it. Thats doing a whole lot lol.

The entire post and you came out with level 10 smuggler doesn't really do much btw....

Whats the point to your post? Honestly asking, a troll post would be that long.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

He is talking about a new hope. Hope.

Jedis and lightsabers are not exactly the ultimate either.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by Angier2758

Smells trollish.

There is clearly nothing trollish about the OP at all. You know it. Everyone else knows it. Why say such idiotic crap?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

They aren't themeparks.

Dude, you'll have more store bought sh!t in that game than any game before it. Trust me, the game will not be "free" lol!

Hmmm...not a themepark?! So...more like APB or Tabula Rasa? And LOL...you don't even KNOW.

Sorry dude...swords, ogres, orcs, magicians, dragons, horses, castles...blah blah blah...more of the same old f'king crap. I'm SICK of "fantasy" games.

You obviously don't know how Anet runs things but thats easily fixed. Look at the fluff shop they have for GW1, everything in the shop can be easily obtained in game with the exception of the costume pieces that give absolutely no stat bonuses. 

Anet's business model is a hard one to diss really. While you may not like GW1 or 2 it's hard to say you don't like the business model as a consumer. 

You buy the game once and you can experience everything the game has to offer without ever paying another cent. If you want to experience the expansions you can buy them if not then you don't have to. 

But as far as the fantasy vs. scifi stick thats all personal prefference. I'm a bit tired of the fantasy setting myself atm which is why I'm skipping TOR. Hopefully I'll be ready for another round of fantasy when GW2 launches. 

Oh wait....... you forgot that Star Wars has it's own swords and magicians and .............

Orcs

And Dragons (Krayt Dragons)

And  well you get the idea. As far as horses and castles and etc. they are all there just with a different skin, they function exactly the same though. 

And yes lol with dynamic scaling events GW2 should be father away from a themepark than TOR. 

In any case though in all seriousness both games are looking pretty good and seem to both have bright futures so I have no idea what the anomosity is all about. 

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

They aren't themeparks.

You totally missed the point. What you're referring to with "fantasy being unoriginal" has absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was talking about. Whether upcoming games have swords & wizards or lazerguns & spaceships is completely and utterly irrelevant

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

And there aren't enough Star Wars games out there to make you sick? No computer game is ENTIRELY new, I mean they all run on a computer! OMG! How sick can things get? Down with computer games, or games alltogether!

And GW2 doesn't even have Elves, nor Wizards for that matter...

imageimage
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

And there aren't enough Star Wars games out there to make you sick? No computer game is ENTIRELY new, I mean they all run on a computer! OMG! How sick can things get? Down with computer games, or games alltogether!

And GW2 doesn't even have Elves, nor Wizards for that matter...

What are you talking about, the game totally has Wizards... The most badass Wizards you've ever seen. image

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The big problem i have with the first post is the outright lie.  What is that u say the part he says a cinematic bolls down to go kill x amount of mobs with limited ai.

Sure a starter planet mobs dont have a great aggro range and arent so tough to beat but its a starter world , nhame one game were starter world mobs can kill u in one shot. 

He obviously didnt try the heroic quests. Also i have a 30 sith inquistor, a 17 counselor, i got a warrior to 16 in beat a smuggler to 10 an 11 trooper and i have got an ia and bh to 6 

i have doen maybe a total of 10 total quests in my enitere play time that is kill quests out of a cinematic

most cinematics u have to find a scientist , recover a holocron or some spy notes, u very seldom do a cinematic for kill x or y those are pop up bonus quests u neither pick up or turn in

So saying a cinematic boils downt i kill x is a flat out lie.

Originally posted by kalinis

The big problem i have with the first post is the outright lie.  What is that u say the part he says a cinematic bolls down to go kill x amount of mobs with limited ai.

Sure a starter planet mobs dont have a great aggro range and arent so tough to beat but its a starter world , nhame one game were starter world mobs can kill u in one shot. 

He obviously didnt try the heroic quests. Also i have a 30 sith inquistor, a 17 counselor, i got a warrior to 16 in beat a smuggler to 10 an 11 trooper and i have got an ia and bh to 6 

i have doen maybe a total of 10 total quests in my enitere play time that is kill quests out of a cinematic

most cinematics u have to find a scientist , recover a holocron or some spy notes, u very seldom do a cinematic for kill x or y those are pop up bonus quests u neither pick up or turn in

So, aggro range isn't AI.. Well, it sorta is but not in any meaningful way.

I did every heroic quest up to Nar Shadda because thats the point at which my 3 real life friends had already quit.

I found tons of quests that you get from NPC's to be kill x... Its not a lie at all.

I think you are believing that class cinematic quests are the only quests in the game - they aren't. PLENTY of kill quests in the game PLENTY.

So you wouldnt call bonus mission: Kill 40 seperatists? Bonus mission: Kill 120 droids? Kill quests? What would you prefer kill tasks?

Also, I never said anything about getting one shot. So I have no clue what you are talking about there.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by kalinis

So, aggro range isn't AI.. Well, it sorta is but not in any meaningful way.

I did every heroic quest up to Nar Shadda because thats the point at which my 3 real life friends had already quit.

I found tons of quests that you get from NPC's to be kill x... Its not a lie at all.

I think you are believing that class cinematic quests are the only quests in the game - they aren't. PLENTY of kill quests in the game PLENTY.

So you wouldnt call bonus mission: Kill 40 seperatists? Bonus mission: Kill 120 droids? Kill quests? What would you prefer kill tasks?

Also, I never said anything about getting one shot. So I have no clue what you are talking about there.

Those bonus quests are not ones you get when going to a NPC. They pop up when you are in an area and already killing mobs. Would you prefer that the game DIDN't give those to you? Unless you are talking about the bonus missions that you get before leaving the planet,(those do require you to go to an NPC, but you don't have to do them) I fail to see the issue. The majority of missions in this game are far more engaging than anything I've played in an MMORPG before. But to each his own.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

To those of you who chose to stick it out with Bioware and SWTORO - I hope that you have as much fun with the game as I was sure that I was going to have and in the end failed to.

Thought you didnt get your expectations up? I call B.S.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 don't have elves. They do have some plant people though but it is far from the same. It do have some magic though.

And yes, some people hoped that TOR would be a more different game but they frankly didn't do their homework.

Bioware stated all along that the mechanics of the game would be traditional but they added full voice over and their own questing system. Tghat wont fit all MMO players, far from it but it do fit some (several of my good buddies are exstatic over it, to me the cutscenes gets kinda annoying),

I am still glad the game is around, hopefully is it the start of actual choices, here you choose a story driven themepark with classic mechanics. 

I think TOR, GW2 and a few other game will complete eachother in the future (Class 4, WoDO and possibly TSW and AA). Hopefully can we choose AA games with the mechanics we like instead of just choosing between Wow and Eve.

• JasVJasV Member Posts: 36

Actually a good read OP, shame the nitpickers found a few unimportant flaws and derailed the thread.

Anything for bioware, my life for you ~Trashcanman.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

So, you rambled on paragraph after paragraph, rehashing the same crap all the haters have been saying for weeks. Interesting, come up with something new and I might beleive you.