Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bonus Series? Or Troll Series? You Decide!

Comments

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Ambush? You mean.. as in standing with a quest sign over their head... and the ability to press escape mid-convo? Yes, quite a nefarious ambush that is....

I can dig that you don't like the bonus quests, but doing them is a choice, and quite frankly, if you  feel the need to do Every single quest in the game it's on You - not Them. It's your choice as much as the server type you roll on.

Did you finish every quest in WoW (if you played that, which I'm guessing you have)? Probably not, I sure didn't... Not to mention that if you Really want to do the quests for the sake of story, there is absolutely Nothing stopping you from going Back there at a later time. The planet doesn't disappear, nor do the quests.

That said, my biggest gripe with this article is that This is the problem you bring up? I love SW: TOR, but to be honest there are far worse issues you could focus on than This.  I mean really? Nothing about PvP level scaling? Or all armors looking the same?  Or bugged skills like Cover or Ravage?

Instead you focus on how you are forced to take more quests against your will because You feel the Need to do all quests presented to you on a planet?

Way to help improve the game.... You're seriously messing with my Zen thing, man.

*grumbles and goes back to TOR, wondering why he bothers checking MMORPG.com nowadays*

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

That's like saying "I passed a small villiage in WoW, and it had quests. What the hell? WoW is trolling me!"

• comradedougcomradedoug Member Posts: 30

The one on balmorra is a bad example, it was one of the longest bonus series involving the most travel. Most of them are quick and easy XP, with great rewards.

Cant complain. Plus, they extend the story a bit.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Shadin

Ambush? You mean.. as in standing with a quest sign over their head... and the ability to press escape mid-convo? Yes, quite a nefarious ambush that is....

I can dig that you don't like the bonus quests, but doing them is a choice, and quite frankly, if you  feel the need to do Every single quest in the game it's on You - not Them. It's your choice as much as the server type you roll on.

Did you finish every quest in WoW (if you played that, which I'm guessing you have)? Probably not, I sure didn't... Not to mention that if you Really want to do the quests for the sake of story, there is absolutely Nothing stopping you from going Back there at a later time. The planet doesn't disappear, nor do the quests.

That said, my biggest gripe with this article is that This is the problem you bring up? I love SW: TOR, but to be honest there are far worse issues you could focus on than This.  I mean really? Nothing about PvP level scaling? Or all armors looking the same?  Or bugged skills like Cover or Ravage?

Instead you focus on how you are forced to take more quests against your will because You feel the Need to do all quests presented to you on a planet?

Way to help improve the game.... You're seriously messing with my Zen thing, man.

*grumbles and goes back to TOR, wondering why he bothers checking MMORPG.com nowadays*

I enjoyed reading this far more than the "article".

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Gotta love bitching about getting extra content.

/sigh

After finding I was outleveling planets by a large margin I started to do ONLY the class line and bonus line (bonus series give great xp and more money than average), and the heroics once my bud found them all. I still have to head back and finish one or two planet's story arc and I am only doing side quests now on Belsavis to get more commendations as I want to buy lots of stuff from those vendors. That planet is huge with TONS of quests! I also do pvp and space dailes.

I actually wish I could put a penalty on my xp. I level too fast to experience the journey.

You stay sassy!

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

I'm leveling different than most in this game, entirely off PvP for experience. I'm now level 28 and Valor 28. I go up one on each as I level. I am also doing all the quests, story, sideline, and bonus on each world as I go and while i wait for the next match. I dont get much if any xp from any of hte quests I do, most of them are all below me as I do them. I do them for the story and the money. The plan is to hit level 50 and Valor 50 at the same time, that way I can enjoy the time I spend in PvP as I go up instead of rushing to level 50 and then having to grind the 50+ valor ranks once I am there. 

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• shaunathanshaunathan Member Posts: 73

Yeah I was playing super mario brothers 1 and then right when I thought I was done with a level there was a beanstalk which led to EVEN MORE CONTENT!!!   I thought I was done with this level!!  waaaaaaa....

Don't blame bioware for your OCD.  Bonus means bonus, not required.  For the first 20 levels I skipped two and 4 player content, and didn't feel any remorse at all.

Sorry if it sounds like a flame, but people whine that games have no content, then, when a game gives them content, they whine that there's content.   I argued with people for a long time who thought that it was the player, not the game, that needs to change... I'm starting to think they are right.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

Bioware should've focused on adding content to lvl 50s because all this optional crap ain't of much use as u can outlevel the game so much already.

Now it's daily, daily, daily (PVP/SPACE/FP), few story... ding 50 ! Yay let's do ... er, what ?

Hardmodes FP (fun the first 5 times, then...)

Ilum (who ? Where are the rebs ? C'mon out already)

Same PVP instances u already did 200 times and outcapped the badges got a ton of champion gear.

What this game needs is lvl 50 content, not lvl up stuff.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I see what you did there, MikeB. Well done.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Well, looks like mmorpg.com is trying really hard to please the hater contingent of their viewers with these latest sets of articles, including SuzyB's "TOR's box sales plumment in UK" one from the other day.  Apparently, you guys feel the need to balance out the positives from the previous weeks with trivial negatives or, in Suzy's case...misleading articles.  

Here's the deal: The bonus series quests are great.  While I can see Mike B's point about the way they are presented being a bit annoying, after the first time you receive them, you pretty much know from then on when and where you are going to get them.  

Many people have mistakingly complained about this game's lack of "replayability."  The bonus series questlines, along with space combat, PvP, and flashpoints, help to alleviate those issues.  They offer an alternative method of getting extra XP and levels other than going to the same place to do the same quests over and over again.  

Example:  I am level 20, having just finished up a bunch of quests on Balmorra.  I receive the bonus series of quests, and have a choice to knock those out or to head onto Nar Shaddaa, which is one of my least favorite zones in the game, because quite frankly, I don't like indoor zones.  So, instead of heading to Nar Shadaa, I utilize my bonus series of quests to head to a part of Balmorra I hadn't previously been to (so it's not like I'm heading back to the same zones I had been to anyway), and work on the bonus series.  All in all, I am able to crank out two levels of XP just from the bonus series, and another level of XP from space combat missions aboard my ship from that day's resets.  Now, suddenly, I'm heading to Nar Shaddaa as a level 23, fully 3 levels ahead of the curve, and can now spend an entire level just doing class quests and skipping most, if not all, of the side quests from Nar Shaddaa, unless I see any commendation gear that I like.  Anyway, I finish my class quests on that planet, do just enough side quests for that customizable helmet from commendations, and I'm on to one of my favorite planets:  Tatooine.  

Oh, and here is the best part:  Because I was so high level when I started on Nar Shaddaa to begin with, I am still eligible to receive the Nar Shaddaa bonus series on my way out the door, without having done hardly any of the Nar Shaddaa quests outside of my class ones to begin with.  And the bonus series on Nar Shaddaa can't be done until level 31, so once I get around level 30-32, I can make some decisions on where I want to level up from there.  Stay on Alderaan or switch it up and head back to Nar Shaddaa for a change of scenary.  And what's more, the next time I bring an alt through the levelling process, because I've had choices to make on where I want to level, I have skipped a huge amount of side quests and entire quest hubs that can be used for my alts instead.  This greatly improves the games replayability, even if we still have to take the same path to level 50.  

I agree with Mike that TOR actually has too much content.  And for a game that, as of right now, doesn't give alternative planets or have much overlap in terms of levelling, this is a very good thing.  It allows you to pick and choose which quests you want to do on your way to level cap with each character, and if planned correctly, a good amount of the content will be different, despite using the same route to 50.  

But, if you are a completionist, it will drive you out of your mind.  You have to be willing to leave some stuff on the table for future alts, because it really takes virtually no effort at all to outlevel your content by 3-4 levels every single planet.  

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Okay so now its okay to bitch about too much content ??, yes I have done the Balmora and tatooine bonus storyline AND I enjoyed them both, some damn good storylines in them.

Seems to me someone forgets what the RPG in mmorpg can actually mean.

I do not care who you are this is a pathetic article, but if you want to ban me for actually having a mind of my own go for it, only been here for 6 years and this is one of the only articles that I class as sad.

• boobotboobot Member UncommonPosts: 29

Now that is SOME whining in an article. Don't do the quest line!, You already knew it was coming from the previous planets. Why the rush? Do you need to get to 50 first?

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Let's hope this WoW-fanatic, SWTOR-hating columnist doesn't come across other optional content in SWTOR, or we will soon see column titles -

- Daily Quest Troll plagues SWTOR!

- SWTOR Space Combat SNAFU - Repeatable Space Combat Missions

- SWTOR fails PVP - Warzones always open to players

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by EvilGeko

So a brand new game adds enough content at launch to ensure that you can play the game with an alt and not repeat all the same quests.

This is a problem....why exactly?

Seriously, you aren't intended to do every darn quest with one character. I don't understand why MMORPG.com posts features to troll it's readers! :p

Actually, no. You still need to finish the planet main story to access the bonus series.  So if you rolled an alt you would still need to do the planet quests to open the bonus series.

• TanissaTanissa Member UncommonPosts: 7

I found the Bugs and UI to be too much for me, the lack of Dev response to the players, and the fact they shut down for Maintenace 8-10 hours a week .

I live in Europe so that leaves me 1 day a week I can not play

BW still claims this statement regarding  Maintenance times  *We are aiming for this weekly maintenance period to take place in an off-peak time for both North American and European players. *

Not true they cater to the NA player and are not considering a alternate time for EU servers (despite EU servers are in the EU)

So I am here looking for a game to play as EA and BW again failed me

Bonus series to me is simply a hidden grind.    But Grind is grind

And I also hated thinking I was going to leave an area just to find I still had not cleared enough places :(

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i have to say i enjoyed the bonus series. They didnt bother me at all. i have now doen bonus series on balmorra, and tatooine, and i actually enjoyed doing them. 

As far as maintainance times i feel for eu players but its one day a week. All games have maintainance . wow has it once a week also. usually same time tor has there down time. 

So i dont really understand the issue so one day u cant play nomral hrs that still leaves 6 days u can play any time u want

i will say since eu servers are in ireland i dont see why they dont  do the maintainance there at a better time for eu players . That said its one day. 

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

That was what was referred to as 'planet fatigue' by people in testing, and it led to the breaking up of regular world arc and the bonus series option.

Balmorra is a problem, it's big enough already. I posted on another thread about playing it in testing and being a completionist and just wanting to cry when I discovered another area on my map with yet more hubs on it. That was when I really understood what people meant by the whole planet fatigue thing.

For my money the breaking up of the bonus series to allow you to leave and come back to do them in a couple of levels is a pretty good solution. I've gone back to Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine for their bonus series, and may do the same on Alderaan (though I'd need to finish the world arc there first - was rather impatient to score my legacy name so left the main chain unfinished).

I think the completionist thing is something that may need to be tossed out the window to be honest (easier said than done, I know) but if you do ALL the things you end up with grey quests that give 5xp on turn-in and still end up way outlevellng content. Once I twigged that, I was much happier to leave loose ends around the place.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

TBH I have found the World arcs to be quite boring. And yes, this bouns series bothered me too.

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

Yes, sir. That's why i skip the damn things now. O.o

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sorry I like them.
  • DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

If you need a few more commendations, or gear before you go it's great, and not a requirement to do. I don't see the fuss. What did you expect when half of your world map is unexplored?

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Like others have pointed out they're called bonus for a reason.  What you're complaing about (and asking them to basically not have included with the game) is a feature you don't like but others do.

If they didn't include a bonus series, many players would be complaining about how short some of the planets were.  How little content the game had. 

With these Bonus missions some players are hitting max level well before the final few planet/mission areas.  While others are rushing the story line only and having to go back and clean up loose ends in order to max out.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

/signed

Bonus quests are annoying and they CAN NOT be abondonded.  

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Wow, people are complaining that there is TOO MUCH content and that BioWare made it easy to do the same planets and yet experience different missions than you have previously.  Amazing.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

{mod edit} He is basically complaining he does not like to have ac in his new car. Fine, simply ignore that damn switch of ac.