Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bonus Series? Or Troll Series? You Decide!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We take a look at BioWare's "bonus series" questlines and whether or not they can really be considered a "bonus" in this week's Star Wars: The Old Republic column.

Imagine this: you've spent significant hours completing all the content on a particular planet, including your class story, the sidequests, the heroics, and you've just finished out the planet's "world arc" and feel pretty good about the conclusion. You've enjoyed the planet thus far, but you're really feeling that urge to just get off and move on at this point, especially to find out what happens in the next leg of your story. So, you head to the spaceport, satisfied with yourself and ready to go, only to be ambushed by what I can only describe is a troll of an NPC who surprises you with more (and supposedly urgent) stuff to do. The first time this happens you won't think anything of it at first. Oh, one final quest to finish things off here, right? No big deal.

Wrong.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bonus Series? Troll Series? You Decide!

Comments

• RhaycenRhaycen Member Posts: 24

On my main I haven't done any of these Bonus series of quests. As I've found that with doing the daily space combat and the occasional flashpoint I'm already outleveling the normal content at a significant pace without spending my time on these bonus quests.

At some point in the future I will go back and do these things ... but right now I'm handling these quests lines exactly as they are: A Bonus you can choose to do or not to do.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Bonus quests are optional.  If you're going to have OCD and finish EVERY SINGLE QUEST it's going to feel like this.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I'd agree with Rhaycen, if you do space missions or PvP even on a casual basis you really don't have to do the bonus quests if you don't want to. If they would just give you the "bonus" quests BEFORE you went all the way back to the spaceport it wouldn't be so bad. Another tedious travel time-sink in TOR I guess. But apparently useless running around is fun to some people.

• alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 236

I rather enjoy the Bonus Quests , or should I say , I rather enjoy the Story behind them. I was surprised to see a Bonus Series pop up on Nar Shadda at lvl 31 , which took me through parts of the Planet that I had not been to while I was leveling.

On top of that they tend to give pretty good Rewards.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by Quesa

Bonus quests are optional.  If you're going to have OCD and finish EVERY SINGLE QUEST it's going to feel like this.

Aren't all quests optional? 

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Hehe, I see what you mean.

It takes some effort to get over your "must complete everything" mind set, there's the NPC reminders but also your log reminding you of stuff you "need" to do. I had this mind set too at the start, but I ditched it. I have to clean my questlog of grey entries all the time now.

I simply decide how much commendations I want out of a planet through generic quests, finish up the personal storyline part and move on once I have those fancy orange pants I wanted and get pointed elsewhere, provided my level is high enough.

I found that completing everything makes you outlevel the content of the next planet by up to 5 levels which makes questing less challenging and less rewarding, xp and upgrade wise.

Personally I'd be damned to do the bonus series on taris, to give an example. I only went back to that gloomy maze for datacrons.

edit: also most initial conversations with quest givers have very satisfying options for refusing the quest, try it :)

• LetysonLetyson Member Posts: 13

problem?

• gaiusmariusgaiusmarius Member UncommonPosts: 39

If you do the heroics you get better gear than the bonus series offers.

Bonus series quest lines are for the people that don't / couldn't group. If you grouped for said heroics on said planet, you wont need to do the bonus series. Unless of course you're a completionist. In which case, my condolences.

[Playing] SW:ToR
    [Played] AoC, WoW, Rift, EQ 1, 2, SWG, DAoC, WAR, GW1, EVE, PotBS.
    [Watching] GW2, Archage

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Don't see the problem here, they are optional. I skipped most of the bonus quests and still hit 50 without doing most of the last world.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

if there is no more content, then "why is there no more content?"

if there is more content, then "why is there more content?"

/facepalm

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Originally posted by Quesa

Aren't all quests optional? 

Not really. Class story quests are pretty much mandatory, or you'll be missing a lot of things (like companions) and gimping yourself.

Though, yeah, you can really just ignore those bonus quests. I'm even ignoring most of the world quests right now, because the world arcs are starting to go grey. If you're doing warzones and space combat on a regular basis, your class story plus a few world arc chains  on each planet might just cut it.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Would be fine if a ton of codex unlocks weren't wrapped up in finishing certain quests, hehe.  I got used to the bonus lines and came to expect them.  I skipped a few, especially Nar Shadaa, I hate that planet.  They actually came in very handy when I hit 49 and finished my class story and Corellia and I still needed 4 bars to level.  So I hit up Hoth's bonus series and boom, 3 to 4 quests later, I dinged.  I just left the planet after that.

On my alts however, I will probably do them since I won't be rushing as much just to see each new planet.  I just wish they would name them better, I find "Bonus Series" ruins immersion a bit.  Let's give these mini arc's a star wars oriented title or something.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Oh they are trolls indeed, theres this one quest during a bonus serie (and a other normal one that does the same) that lest you kill 50 or npc's  then when youre finaly done it gives a bonus sub-quest named  "kill oneeeee moree"

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Yeah. I just focus on my class quests now. I just do that and if I still need levels, then I have the option to go for it. But I think the class quests are enough, especially if you throw warfronts in.

If you do too many warfronts, though, you will outlevel the content, so I've been holding back, even on running heroic stuff. I just do the class quests because I want to make sure I get all my crew and any other essential stuff I will need from that.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'd have to agree with the OCD comment, it's BONUS material, not compulsory. Chill and give it a miss. If it's not worth it due to being low level, again, give it a miss. If it's too high level .... COME BACK LATER. It's just a game ..... chill the f**k out, man!

I mean seriously? You think this deserves a column?

If this is what you have to complain about I can guess how the main review is going to look.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414

There are some quests that can't be dropped once you pick them up. You either have to do them or keep them forever in your quest log.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by HighMarshal

There are some quests that can't be dropped once you pick them up. You either have to do them or keep them forever in your quest log.

And this is just one of the many annoying bugs SWTOR has right now. At one point you feel the need to go back to those planets and do what are now grey quests just to open up some space on your quest log.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

They are called bonus for a reason, if you liked the planet and want to spend more time in there, that's the bonus stuff for. I havent done any of it because otherwise I would be too high level eventually for my "main stuff" if I did it all - it's more like something to do if you dont like the next/some place and want to gain XP by questing and not close the gap by space game or PvP if you want to skip a whole planet sidequest wise.

This game does not have reputation grind, or similar mechanics that in many other games kind of compels you to complete everything in an area to leave with max rep gained, all you get is XP, creds + commendations from the bonus series so they really are not neccessary.

I dont see this as a problem at all, because it's not, it's a bonus, it makes a game that I thought was a lot more linear not so much linear since there's now extra option for me to do while leveling.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

Ummmm not to sound critical of the poster of this article but ummmm.....I kinda feel like this guy is actually trolling...You say you like fininishing everything yet you complain about more stuff to do when you thought you were done...Ok well obviously......YOU WERE NOT DONE. I have done that whole series on Bal and yeah I was a little annoyed at it at first as I had some stuff already waiting for me to do on the next planet.

In many mmo's I normall go into the new area and just grab all the quest and power through them all in rapid order. This was a trick we all learned from playing wow. The fact that they break up this normal chain or same old same old is kinda nice.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by spinner_vis

if there is no more content, then "why is there no more content?"

if there is more content, then "why is there more content?"

/facepalm

Facepalm away, good sir. But at the same time, go back and read what MikeB actually said in his article, because you seem to have missed it.

1. He said he's not opposed to having more quest content to do. It's the manner in which it's presented - how you're sorta "ambushed" with it when you've finished your current planet's story arc and are about to leave, that gets to him.

2. He admits he's one of those types who "has to" finish everything, so he's even taking accountability for his own decision (refreshing to see around these parts, where people constantly blame the game/developer for their own decisions). He acknowledges that he didn't have to do them. Obviously, people who can pass up content like that and move on anyway without worrying about it wouldn't be affected by it.

@MikeB:

Not in TOR, but I've experienced the same thing in other MMOs, so I think I know where you're coming from. With me it's not so much being "OCD" about having to finish everything, though. For me it's more like the "sigh of relief" when you've just spent the past few hours (or however long) doing quest after quest after quest, have visited pretty much every corner of the area and are ready for a change of scenery. You're heading on to where ever the path (be it yours or the game's) leads, and suddenly.. oh look a NPC who has another 2 hours worth of content!

And the groans begin.

For me, it's because I have this creeping feeling that there's something of importance within those questlines that I might be missing out on if I don't do them. And, besides, if they're at my level I could actually get some decent xp from them, perhaps some nice rewards.. and it might actually be a fun challenge. It'll only become easier as I level beyond it, so coming back to do it later never seems like a worthwhile choice. 

So, yeah, I can relate to what you're getting at there, MikeB lol.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

I find them to be frustrating as well at times because I also have the 'I must complete everything' syndrome.  Largely due to the manner it is presented, because I too was in the mind set of thinking that I was done with the planet, spent my commendations on random crap only to find I had the opportunity to pick up a ton more and could have spent them on a purple box.

I also don't like how irregular it is as well, some planets want you to do the bonus series straight away and some await your return at a higher level.  Because I didn't realise until recently the latter, I thought I had missed the bonus series and wasted time looking for the start... however now that I know they sometimes reappear at higher levels I'm kind of grateful that it spaces the content out a little.

• StormNetStormNet Member UncommonPosts: 31

I'm with you, I'm a completist. Why not, Your paying a lot of money for the game and the sub so why miss any content?

I feel your pain though.. By the time your ready to leave a planet and oh BTW here's 30 more quests... It can be frustrating. But soon enough we'll all be 50's hoping for more content...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There are MMO players who actually can ignore some quests instead of doing them all?

You lucky bastards! 

I have a compulsion to do everything and believing everything is over and constantly getting tricked is indeed annoying.

There are worse things that could be in a MMO but they should have presented these quests a little different.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I think they're installed as a safety net, something to catch players who do minimum effort solo questing (and nothing else).

But I played through one (Tatooine), because it popped up in the middle of the "normal" quests instead of at the end.  Story was actually pretty good (imo).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Mr. Troll there is nothing wrong with extra quests and more time with Lady Sith Milf. :)