Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daytime maintenance in Europe

2»

Comments

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

When i played Rift the servers went down seperetaly. EU had their downtime at night and US had their at night..but that is'nt the rpoblem with SWTOR, the problem here is that it takes 7 hours to apply a small patch. I would understand if it were a patch big as a expansion, but this is only some bug fixes like every other mmorpg game has, and they take a maximum of 2 hours mainteneance, not fucking 7 hours.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

When i played Rift the servers went down seperetaly. EU had their downtime at night and US had their at night..but that is'nt the rpoblem with SWTOR, the problem here is that it takes 7 hours to apply a small patch. I would understand if it were a patch big as a expansion, but this is only some bug fixes like every other mmorpg game has, and they take a maximum of 2 hours mainteneance, not fucking 7 hours.

amateur in mmo business comes to my mind and yet saving money sametime, hyalf of those support workers in europe can be turned to server maintenance so that they could have separate times to do that wich in any way is best to do during the latenite time.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Hauken

Since the servers are open to all. The maintenance just has to be done on all servers at once.

Just bothers me that they need 7-8 hrs to do it!!!

I dont understand why some players think this. Of course there can be a reason why they prefer to have maintenance on all servers at once, but its not this. They can reset each server seperately, so they can also run maintenance on each server seperately.

It makes sense for patches to be rolled out globally. These happen less often and have more risk on going wrong. So you dont want to do it more often then necessary. But maintenance should become routine. So hopefully they will change this after a while and use seperate maintenance windows for EU and US.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

Back to Skyrim for a day then. Maybe i'll stay there tomorrow as well...

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

[mod edit]

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

servers seem to be online again already at 11.30 mez...not too bad :)

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Normal people are working that time u know in europe so it's not a big deal.

You should blame your self that u are not working this time and waiting for the maintenance.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

better EU daytime than ours...rawr...just sayin

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Hehe so much for the swtor is going f2p in 6 months, when threads started about withdraw and maint schedule too long/wrong time. image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

The global maintenance is most likely because of a global client and that they don't have a version reconition system on the server selection screen so they would need to update all the clients at the same time while they don't have any system either to figure out if the user who's logged in is from EU or US or whatever so it knows if it should update the client or not etc.

Though having seperated maintenance schedules would absolutely be extremely appriciated, and saing that most people are at work is not really an excuse as there are still more people awake and at home at day time than at night time even if its on a work day. And however people live their lives or decide to spend their spare time with is not really of anyones concern but those who live their lives as they want to, now is it ?

I am from EU but at work untill maintenance is done, but I can certainly still see the issue presented here, as it is an issue, and is also affecting a lot of gamers, and honostly they should (and I hope they will) develope systems to seperate client patching as well as region reconition plus server selection version checking.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Good excuse to take myself away from the pc and take down the Xmas Decorations and put them back in the loft for another year, have a bit of a clean up around the house,  watch a vid I havnt seen since I bought it.  Most people have returned back to work and school now so its not really an issue for most people, only those that sit on their erses all day with no life and those that have got some time off from whatever they do do.  Me! I'm out of work, but I have other things like Fishing to do, cook dinner for the missus coming home from work, job searching, which in itself is a full time job on most days.

But back on track, no matter what time of day they do maintenance, somebody is going to whine because they cant play.  My only whine is why they taking 8+ hrs, I've not known any MMO team to take that long on maintenance every week.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This is the 3rd time they do the maintenance during play hours in europe, with a lot of people still having vacation this is not fair. The US gets its nightly maintenance, us europeans dont. I think they should offer all europeans 3 days of playtime back for their own planning mistakes.

Sometimes it feels just like us europeans are nothing but 2nd rate people. This has to end here and now.

For some reason it is common for us Europeans to have maintenance during the day where as US players usually has it during the night. Like MMORPG devs. dont give a shit about us "euro trash".

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

And again today a complete frigging joke (oh and they where down yesterday too as well as the day before). It would be risible if it wasn't so completely appaling. 

There is absolutely no reason that they can not have seperate maintenance times for the EU (which accounts for half of their subscriber base). Well, except for there complete and utter disregard for their subscribers. Those that think there is some technical reason are wrong plain and simple, just note they take individual servers down for maintenence if they are experiencing problems.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I am pretty sure that they will announce extra days of free playtime shortly. Every other MMO has done it after the first month.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by thexrated

I am pretty sure that they will announce extra days of free playtime shortly. Every other MMO has done it after the first month.

Unless they announce new maintenance times for the EU at the same time I won't be subscribing. I like the game, Im having fun, but I feel that strongly about it, it's appaling customer service. Even 1 man and his dog outfits manage to do maintenance off peak. It's offensive that theyu concider it 'OK'.

BW have invested a small fortune in Ireland on new offices and staff yet they can not be bothered to sort this out. I am just staggered for the complete disregard for half there customer base. Apart from money lost through subscriptions (and whilst I may be in the minority I am certainly not alone) the irony is I bet I could save them money by spliting the maintenance.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The servers are down again today unless the OP was posting about the same one.  This is seriously beginning to bug me, can they not stick to once a week?

But the REAL kick in the nuts is the fact that they take forum posting offline during the maintenance, sure they will get a flood of complaints on the forum but you need to give your customers an avenue to let off steam and its nothing that blizzard wouldn't receieve for the same actions.   Also there are no server forums so people cant go there and chat with each other as a community.

I will give them the month myself if the amount of downtime or the times are not changed better to suit EU folks I will head back to WOW where I can play most of the time I choose to and who actually service their EU customers properly.  With my 3 family members.

From what I can see levelling new toons the lower zones are very quiet so currently at the time being I really don't think they can afford to loose customers.  Some people may say oh don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, my reply is sure I'll take that hit and leave the flash in the pan behind of what could have been a good thing.

Ill give them a chance but my patience is wearing thin and I have a fairly good meter of patience.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by Wicoa

The servers are down again today unless the OP was posting about the same one.  This is seriously beginning to bug me, can they not stick to once a week?

But the REAL kick in the nuts is the fact that they take forum posting offline during the maintenance, sure they will get a flood of complaints on the forum but you need to give your customers an avenue to let off steam and its nothing that blizzard wouldn't receieve for the same actions.   Also there are no server forums so people cant go there and chat with each other as a community.

I will give them the month myself if the amount of downtime or the times are not changed better to suit EU folks I will head back to WOW where I can play most of the time I choose to and who actually service their EU customers properly.  With my 3 family members.

Lastly from what I can see levelling new toons the lower zones are very quiet so currently at the time being I really don't think they can afford to loose customers.

You realise this is an emergency patch to fix a couple of exploits? So no, it couldn't wait another week.

Sure, I did state that Ill give them a chance and I hope that they fix things so I can enjoy the rest of the month better and if I see an improvement fair enough.  So far its been a similar scenario since launch.

Some folks have been playing for almost a month already.  Perhaps someone could explain to me if rift was running smoothly with maintenance times and forum down time one month after launch?

• boubhsboubhs Member Posts: 73

Sure, I did state that Ill give them a chance and I hope that they fix things so I can enjoy the rest of the month better and if I see an improvement fair enough.  So far its been a similar scenario since launch.

Some folks have been playing for almost a month already.  Perhaps someone could explain to me if rift was running smoothly with maintenance times and forum down time one month after launch?

Maintenance was smooth, fast and not in midday  time at Rift. Forums were always up during patching.

Originally posted by boubhs

Maintenance was smooth, fast and not in midday  time at Rift. Forums were always up during patching.

I rest my case. TY