Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Our last glimmer of hope?????????

124»

Comments

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Epicent

GW2 is my last attempt at this genre after a series of nearly identical games with, in my humble opinion, very subtle differences. Lets cross our fingers and hope for the best.

If you want something different, then go play something different.  Some recent games have been proverbial WoW-clones and some have not.  Don't whine about the former while ignoring the latter.

I know the games you are talking about (and have read on some of your post the games you have and are currently playing) but none of these peak my interest and all seem to be low budget crap.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

atm im kinda gameless, im playing GW1 (which actually is really awesome if you havent played it yet..rlly a thumbs up for that game) to gather HoM for GW2

ive always been stuck to 1 single game which got my total commitance..gonna do the same with GW2, and i can assure you guys that i don't do that lightly, which means i must be certain GW2 is going to be awesome :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

this game is gonna be huge. and i mean huge. mostly because it will cater to many types of players, in addition to being B2P.

once GW2 hits, i'll be uninstalling most of my games because i simply wont need to play them. i may keep EVE and BF3 because theyre different.

totally agreed OP =)

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by timeraider

im playing GW1 (which actually is really awesome if you havent played it yet..rlly a thumbs up for that game)

That game is one of the worst games that I have ever TRIED to play. I bought it because it has no monthly sub, but that still wasn't enough to keep me playing. Free play doesn't always = good.

GW2 looks intriguing, but the fanboi's here have me 100% turned off on it. SWTOR and TSW are the only two games that have my attention.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Jarazar

im playing GW1 (which actually is really awesome if you havent played it yet..rlly a thumbs up for that game)

That game is one of the worst games that I have ever TRIED to play. I bought it because it has no monthly sub, but that still wasn't enough to keep me playing. Free play doesn't always = good.
    GW2 looks intriguing, but the fanboi's here have me 100% turned off on it. SWTOR and TSW are the only two games that have my attention.

Okay, then, have fun with that.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by sidhaethe

Originally posted by Jarazar

Okay, then, have fun with that.

+1

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Fion
    And of course we have the World of Darkness MMOG on the horizon, which primises to be one world, totally open, where the players run everything. You can be a normal human and other players can turn you, and the players themselves will decide the city leaders, who the Prince will be. Fighting between the Camarilla and Sabbat. It will be an ingrossing and heavily RP'd game the likes of which haven't been seen since UO!
    So I think the MMOG genre is on an upswing. There are a number of games to look forward to and our young genre (and greedy publishers) are quickly realizing that an MMOG you don't put a lot of money behind, and the heart and soul of the developers behind, is just a losing prospect. So many companies have dived into the genre and produced utter failures that I really think that MMOGs will become better for it.

I really like what you had to say, but I have to ask, where did you get this information about the World of Darkness game? I have heard almost no hard information on it; nothing really except that video. If you know of more information, I would love to see it. I am looking forward to that game almost as much as GW2. My friends and I spent a great deal of time many years ago playing oWod.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Very much looking forward to GW 2. I'd love to see a Borderlands MMO though. I've heard whispers.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Yep! But not because it will be better than all future games, rather because I think for a lot of people it's going to be either the thing that brings them back to gaming, or the thing that breaks the camel's back. People have been nothing but disappointed and disillusioned with games that have been coming out for the past few years, they're growing tired of WoW, the shininess of Rift has long since faded and SWTOR is experiencing some stumbles with the populace. Don't let the numbers it sold fool you, there are plenty of people who bought that game purely out of support for both the IP and Bioware, but that doesn't mean they're going to keep subbing to a game they don't really want to play. It's a very polarizing game, and not just on these forums; the actual game forums are full of people both complaining and defending it. The difference is, as time goes on, it's far more likely that a game will lose popularity, than that it will gain it. That goes for any game, not just SWTOR.

I think if GW2 disappoints, a lot of people will lose the drive. I've already lost most of my old MMO buddies and past guildees to console gaming, or people that have simply stopped playing games all together. People are growing jaded, and beginning to view developers more as greedy than as innovative. It's a pity, as though I'm surpremely hyped for GW2 (having played it at conventions), there are other games coming that I think will bring something new to the genre as well. You've got a slew of hardcore games (WoD, Wizardry, Arch Age), very action-intense games (B & S, C9, TERA), and games discarding the 'role' system (GW2, TSW) not to mention some games that look really good even though we don't yet know much about them...WildStar, for instance.

There's plenty to come, but the 'dedicated' players are getting older and wiser to the tricks of the trade, and the 'new blood' is largely composed of game hoppers that don't stick with anything for more than a month.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Leodious

Originally posted by Fion

And of course we have the World of Darkness MMOG on the horizon, which primises to be one world, totally open, where the players run everything. You can be a normal human and other players can turn you, and the players themselves will decide the city leaders, who the Prince will be. Fighting between the Camarilla and Sabbat. It will be an ingrossing and heavily RP'd game the likes of which haven't been seen since UO!

So I think the MMOG genre is on an upswing. There are a number of games to look forward to and our young genre (and greedy publishers) are quickly realizing that an MMOG you don't put a lot of money behind, and the heart and soul of the developers behind, is just a losing prospect. So many companies have dived into the genre and produced utter failures that I really think that MMOGs will become better for it.

I really like what you had to say, but I have to ask, where did you get this information about the World of Darkness game? I have heard almost no hard information on it; nothing really except that video. If you know of more information, I would love to see it. I am looking forward to that game almost as much as GW2. My friends and I spent a great deal of time many years ago playing oWod.

World of Darkness is on the backburner at CCP.  There was a lot of criticisim to say the least about Icarnia or whatever and there have been quite a bit downsizing.  In a letter from CCP they said they were looking at too grand objectives and ignoring what the players want.

Long story short... expect a very very very.... very long time before World of Darkness.  Especially with Dust 514 which will be a lot of focus along with EVE.

Also I think the person you quoted is pull crap out of thier ass as there is zero info released, just some crappy "teaser trailer" that gives nothing about the game nor how it will look like.  Everyone is speculating about the game.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by enoch420

I'd love to see a Borderlands MMO though. I've heard whispers.

That would be interesting. I would love to see a Red Dead Redemption style mmo.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by enoch420

Very much looking forward to GW 2. I'd love to see a Borderlands MMO though. I've heard whispers.

Firefall might interest you.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CdQmxH96M

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Just about all my friends are tired of the MMO's that are out right now, none of them are worth anything anymore.  Even the new ones are just copying the old ones.  Guild Wars 2 is the light at the end of the very long and boring MMO tunnel.  And the last hope for the genre for me and plenty of others.  Anet knows what they are doing...the game is going to be amazing.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

The World of Darkness MMOG is somewhat on the backburner, but a fairly recent update by one of the leads said they still have a solid group of a few dozen developers working on the game. Kinda pisses me off that CCP murged with White Wolf and then has been screwing over the MMOG at every turn. I understand their financial issues but still. I mean after all the mass market appeal of a Vampire: the Masquerade (using Requiem rules) game is far beyond that of Dust 514.

As to the list of features I meantioned, those are things that have slowly been revealed at the last few Grand Masquerade events. You can find that and more on the wiki. :)

To add to the GW2 discussion. As I said the game isn't my 'last hope'. There are some other MMOGs ahead that are trying to change things, and I'm looking forward to them as well. What I am over is the WoW era themepark MMOG that includes just about every MMOG released in the last 7 years, including SWTOR, which has it's own merits but to me, small lasting appeal.

So GW2 is my greatest hope, I certanily haven't been this involved in pre-release forums and as hyped and informed about an MMOG since Anarchy Online (not my first but my all time fav MMOG) and Star Wars Galaxies after that. We've heard that those few selected for beta are giving rather rave reviews. That gives me some hope. :)