Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Mind Boggling Stats

Comments

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

I remember RIFT doing one after launch too. Maybe all games do somewhere. Both SWTOR and RIFT numbers are just that, purely numbers... with millions of players in game arent they kind of expected..?

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158889p1.html

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Lobotomist

10 million  hours of voicover - skipped

:P

^This^

The voice over and "extensive" questing was fun.....the first time.

Now, for the first time, I DREAD rolling an alt. I hate that I 'have' to quest in order to get things: Ship, Companions, Advanced Class. Oh and crafting, since you can't craft unless you have at least one Companion, which you can't get unless you complete your Class Quest on the "Starter World" (Tython for Jedi).

Unless they allow ALTs to skip all that crap and quest because they 'feel' like it this game will die.

And yes, I would have complained about RIFT doing the same if I had to roll two of the SAME class just to play the 'other' half of that class's..erm..calling.

If that doesn't make sense here, I'll spell it out. As a Jedi Knight I must roll at least two Knights: One for Guardian Class, one for Sentinel Class. This means I have to go through the SAME GOD DAMN STORY TWICE. I'm pretty sure the class quest is the same per Class (Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Tropper, and Smuggler).

I should mention that "Class Quests" are fine if they are short; SWTOR's are not.

Sum Up: I should work for my rewards; my alts shouldn't.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Weird. I read the game sold over 1 million copies. And a lot of people have alts.

How is it possible there are only 1.65 million characters created.

By the way; ANOTHER news post about Star Wars, really?

And this one just reads like an advertisement, you're not even trying to hide it anymore are you.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by thekid1

That goes towards Jedi Kinght and Sith Warriors only, not characters total.

• DrastDrast Member UncommonPosts: 149

Weird. I read the game sold over 1 million copies. And a lot of people have alts.

And this one just reads like an advertisement, you're not even trying to hide it anymore are you.

Reading is fundamental. 

"Over 850,000 Sith Warriors and over 810,000 Jedi Knights created"

That's only 2 of the 8 starter classes in the game.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Dyner

If that doesn't make sense here, I'll spell it out. As a Jedi Knight I must roll at least two Knights: One for Guardian Class, one for Sentinel Class. This means I have to go through the SAME GOD DAMN STORY TWICE. I'm pretty sure the class quest is the same per Class (Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Tropper, and Smuggler).

You could roll the first all light-side and the second all dark-side? Supposedly that gives you two different stories?

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Minutes waited in queues: 87.566.999.454

Average frame rate in warzones: 15 fps

Days gone by with broken raid frames: 6months and counting

Originally posted by Malir

Reading is fundamental. 

"Over 850,000 Sith Warriors and over 810,000 Jedi Knights created"

That's only 2 of the 8 starter classes in the game.

Right got it. Confused Jedi and Sith with Republic and Empire.

• khaixiiikhaixiii Member Posts: 6

I respectfully disagree with the latter part.  In my opinion, one should work  for any reward, regardless of main or alt.

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337

I suspect everyone in here shitting on the game is probably just a WoW gold farmer worried about losing work.

But seriously, the games only been live for what - 2 weeks? I remember tons of small stupid problems in pretty much every MMO that has ever been released. So far I'm really enjoying the game, they've done a great job actually adding the RPG elements back in. The speed grinders can bitch and complain all they want about making alts, but so far I've been really interested in just playing my main because I've been enjoying the story. Who the hell says I need to make both Sentinal and Gaurdian?

I've experienced a few bugs in game so far, but I've been having way to much fun to really give a shit about a raid bug or quest bug.

In the vanilla days of WoW I was a big time mmo gamer, but I dropped out after burning crusade, and most games failed to hold my attention from then on. This has been the first game in a long time that has made me eager to log back in and continue, so I'm just going to enjoy it.

And if you're not enjoying it, by all means go back to WoW for endless dungueon team rolls and enjoy your speed grinding.

Originally posted by Sketch

I suspect everyone in here shitting on the game is probably just a WoW gold farmer worried about losing work.

But seriously, the games only been live for what - 2 weeks? I remember tons of small stupid problems in pretty much every MMO that has ever been released. So far I'm really enjoying the game, they've done a great job actually adding the RPG elements back in. The speed grinders can bitch and complain all they want about making alts, but so far I've been really interested in just playing my main because I've been enjoying the story. Who the hell says I need to make both Sentinal and Gaurdian?

I've experienced a few bugs in game so far, but I've been having way to much fun to really give a shit about a raid bug or quest bug.

In the vanilla days of WoW I was a big time mmo gamer, but I dropped out after burning crusade, and most games failed to hold my attention from then on. This has been the first game in a long time that has made me eager to log back in and continue, so I'm just going to enjoy it.

And if you're not enjoying it, by all means go back to WoW for endless dungueon team rolls and enjoy your speed grinding.

And what are you going to do when you finished the story?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is actually a good question and the weakest point of the MMO genre ('cept Eve).

You usually raid for gear until the next expansion comes out and I think TOR will be the same. Sure, they havn't added many raids yet but few newly released games do that, there will probably be some patched in within the next few months.

Will it be epic fun? Hardly but that never stopped any other MMOs and players seems to accept it in the genre as whole.

In fact much of the whine on GW2 is the lack of a raiding endgame.

Originally posted by Loke666

That is actually a good question and the weakest point of the MMO genre ('cept Eve).

You usually raid for gear until the next expansion comes out and I think TOR will be the same. Sure, they havn't added many raids yet but few newly released games do that, there will probably be some patched in within the next few months.

Will it be epic fun? Hardly but that never stopped any other MMOs and players seems to accept it in the genre as whole.

For me playing an mmorpg (which I haven't done in years) is about the journey to max level. The game stop at max level for me. I have no interest in raids or PVP. I will play a FPS for PVP. Unfortunatly the journey is never as good as a singleplayer RPG.

I think Bioware tries to remedy that somewhat with this game. But I read numerous threads about people already being max level and bored out of their mind. I think this game focusses to much on the story and there isn't much else to do. At max level and any other level.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Hmm okay, I made two sith warriors and - on the jedi knight side. My brother also made a sith warrior to test the game...

Other than that, I love it how there are certain "negative" members who come to any major SWTOR post just to show their face and bash something :D

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Swtor is one hell of the game. Before starting playing it I could never immagine anything else could come even close to my love for wow. Until now. Still I see wow on throne, love it .... but close on right side sits already swtor. And also close on left another masterpice of gaming industry, Rift :-)). Now that I have 3 great games to alternate for the first time probably in decades, I'm not looking forward for any new release of other games.

Everything is great, voiced and fun quests where for the first time I actually follow closely what they say and what I will respond. Have not seen a lot of bugs, actually would say one of the most bug free releases so far. 

Despite all numbers mentioned above, responses from support (not that I needed a lot) are very fast.

Impressive number of fun quests. Have seen first movie of Star wars at release, still remember how deeply impressed I was as a kid at that time .... and every minute I play SWTOR have that feeling being actually part of Star wars. But I'm sure even without lore would love it for gameplay and rest. Every movement, every press on keyboard or mouse does exactly what it should.

Well ... I'm on vacation now so ... back to play. :-)

• ArpatArpat Member UncommonPosts: 27

good question... but then... i didn't know what to do in wow from the start... and here i can play all classes at least once to hear the story. (but i won't skip all the voice dialogs)

no need to hurry for me, but to enjoy the quality....

(i'm playing a jedi and i suck at it... but still having fun...)

i hate this forum writng thingy... --- keeps messing up with spaces and additional lines... ---

• ArpatArpat Member UncommonPosts: 27

what a messe forum interface... keeps adding lines to my writing... removes edited stuff... i give up....

sigh...

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Those numbers are extremely well balanced, I'm extremely impressed and extremely skeptical.

I remember post release Warhammer tried to pull this off, players knew the truth.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

those figures are not exactly 'mind boggling' are they?... in fact, they are pretty shit,  they indicate that after the first month, this mmo will probably die like all other mmo's do.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Loke666

in a way, you could argue that a game on sub mode should never have an endgame. because, technically, they're spending all their money on development. surely they could release a few more levels of exciting quests each month...

seriously, though, i think the industry needs some lateral thinking in regard to what to do for "endgame" that's a little more interesting than grinding for uberloot in what is essentially a boring and often vindictive atmosphere.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by khaixiii

I respectfully disagree with the latter part.  In my opinion, one should work  for any reward, regardless of main or alt.

Why should people be forced to play through the game (story-wise) multiple times. I don't want to speak for all, but for me the whole point of Alts isn't to re-experience the story; it's to try out the abilities.

Heck, I'd even be willing to re-experience the story from say a Trooper's POV if not for the underlieing fact that I'm being made to do quests. Seriously, how well do "you" (general 'you') think WoW would have done if for every spell, for every profession you had to do a quest in order to get it.

RIFT had a decent balance with required quest and Time-to-Complete. Want another soul? Go pick up the quest from the corresponding trainer, find a rift, close said rift, summon soul. Takes at most 10min to do; with most of that spent looking for a rift. And that was my first run (in beta I might add).

SWTOR, first run (again Beta) 2hrs into it as a Jedi Knight and I was still that..a Knight; took me ~3hrs just to get my AC, which is fine because I was listening to all the quests and having fun. Second run through (Live), I was ~1hr in and I was a Guardian; 'space barred + 1' through all the quest; skipped all the side quests and left Tython at lvl 9 and was forced to quest to get the remaining XP and get to lvl 10.

Okay, that was a slight rant, my point is it's no fun doing a quest when I know I have to; that I'm being forced to.

Little tidbit: My WoW alts were all sub-50. They only began to truly level when BGs started awarding XP; I HATE "RE-QUESTING". Do it once and then I don't care to repeat it.

Also,  note this rant ONLY pertains to Companion #1 and AC. Your weapon (light saber for Jedi) and remaining companions should be quest-required. And potentially your first ship if they add Space-based PVP.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Those are easy bloated numbers to post. Anyone ever play CoD: Black Ops or anything like that? Loading screens will post the same type of numbers (how many bullets fired, people killed etc). It's the raw transaction logs, easy numbers to bloat and promote.

Everyone wants to know how many people are logged in playing, the server status, etc

Those are the real numbers. When/where can we see those? I am neither a hater or a fanboi, I simply just want to know.

"850,000 Sith Warriors and over 810,000", assuming each player has created 2 characters, can we assume 830,000 people have played the game?

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• AviorAvior Member UncommonPosts: 54

Star Wars virtual holocaust.

• RorrinRorrin Member UncommonPosts: 29

from the press release "Over a million gamers worldwide celebrated the holidays in front of their PCs with lightsabers".  I read that as over a million subs.

• lwllwlwllw Member Posts: 7

Those are not actually really good numbers to report but the npc killed one made me lol, they should kill more npcs