Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets thoughts on SWTOR?

BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

wanted to get the opinion of swg vets who are playing SWTOR?  Im still on the fence about trying it, dont really want to put the money into it.  thing is i know alot of my swg friends are going to give it a try and would love to be with them again.  one of the big things holding me back is that its just not swg and thats bringing me down on it.

Comments

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

You should clarify Pre-CU vets, or post-NGE vets. There is a huge difference.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Pre-CU here. I like the game just fine. People need to let go, and give the game a try. Swg was good for its time , but if you only look for Swg in the games you play, then you might as well give up mmo's altogether.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• Lost_BothanLost_Bothan Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by BCuse

wanted to get the opinion of swg vets who are playing SWTOR?  Im still on the fence about trying it, dont really want to put the money into it.  thing is i know alot of my swg friends are going to give it a try and would love to be with them again.  one of the big things holding me back is that its just not swg and thats bringing me down on it.

It Really comes down to personal preferences. Having played mmos for several years ( different ones ) its hard to find one to settle into and keep with you for a length of time. Some of my friends liked TOR and thats their choice. i was in the beta and it didnt hit the right buttons with me. The overhype i felt really placed uber expecations on a game.  There are features which if added could draw in some of the other groups out there but its not likely those features will come to pass.

Since the game itself ( TOR) was just released recently i think that it may have the potential some see in it , But for me it currently is not what im looking for in a mmo (not my cup of tea). Perhaps down the road once future plans are released ( possible expansions and updates) depending on what updates are done and what direction the game goes opinions could change or remain the same.

Some obviously enjoy it, others dont, and some sit on the fence, so id say the choice is up to you to make. Waiting and seeing what comes next could be the best plan if your worried about spending money too soon.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Apples -> Oranges

Best MMO to be released since SWG IMO.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by TUX426

Apples -> Oranges

Kinda how I see it shares basically nothing in common but I'm absorbed in it just like i was swg.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Pre-CU vet. I find TOR to be the most fun I've had in an MMO since SWG. There are some things that bother me such as the UI locked in place, Guild bank (which is on their list to add asap) and the fact the companion bar takes away one of your tool bars. Other than that the game is great.

I curently have a 50 smuggler scoundrel and a 10 Jedi Sentinel. Ilum has huge pvp potential, there just aren't enough 50's yet, but I have been in some fun small skirmishes out there. I am hoping they keep expanding world pvp elements and endgame pve. Again, right now I am having a good time in TOR and have been playing since day 1 of early access.

The only think I miss about SWG was I always wanted to grind out a Jedi unfortunately I never had that much time to do so, I also disliked crafting although I do realize how indepth and creative it was, it really gave crafters a niche/important roll to play in the community.

imageimage

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Pre-CU vet reporting in. It's not a sandbox, but I don't care. It's good fun, and if you haven't moved on from SWG by now, you have some serious issues.

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Alpha all the way through NGE (bout a month or two in) reporting in. When I first heard rumors of a new Star Wars MMO in the works I jumped for joy and thought "OMG! SWG2 is finally here!!" but alas, it became a themepark game. I was jaded for a very long time all the way through development but because a few RL buddies play I ended up preordering and trying the game out. I was a huge fan of KOTOR1&2, ME1&2, etc, so I love the game in that sense. You do need to realize that the game is absolutely nothing like Galaxies. I look at SWTOR with a fresh mind thinking "Cool, a story driven Star Wars MMO that feels fresh and not the same recycled game with a different IP". Granted, it is a themepark for sure, which is my one big gripe with the game. But I'm still having loads of fun. I mean come on, it's a Star Wars MMO =)

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Pre-CU vet here, and SWTOR is the worst hand-holding linear quest MMO i've played to date. It's even WORSE than WoW if that's even possible.

There is ZERO replayability with alts after your 2nd one. You simply know the "outlines" of the questline for each character after awhile, and you end up spamming spacebar just to move on to what you want to do. I honestly hope people start to wake up in a month or so, and realize there's nothing to do except repeatedly raiding & simplelist "Arena" based combat. Enjoy your endgame, it'll end that game :(.

Me personally, along with many of my friends, are waiting for: Planetside 2, Infinity: The Quest for Earth, EQ:Next, and probably ArchAge if they ever release it to the english speaking audience.

Make no mistake, I've let go of what happened to SWG a long time ago. However, "Story Driven" MMOs are NOT MMORPG's, and are nothing more than hand-holding "Co-Operative" games. I want DEPTH, and a breathing world. Not something painted there to look "alive". I gave up 3rd-grade mentality online games a LONG time ago. It's time for our genre to break out into where it should be :(.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Royalkin

The only difference is psychological at this point.

We are All Vets of SW:G now.

If the only reason the OP would go to ToR is for his Galaxies friends.....join a forum that is designed for SW:G players to chat on so you can keep in touch...or one of the many Facebook Star Wars Galaxies groups.

ToR is more linear than Legacy

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

It's not for me. I enjoyed the class story stuff, but the mechanics/features are too simple for my liking and a solid world PvP system is currently absent from the game. But I wouldn't call it a terrible game. If I were a PvE enthusiast, I might have enjoyed it more.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by NaughtyP

a solid world PvP system is currently absent from the game.

Then you're doing it wrong.

World PvP is VERY MUCH there. I've been ganked, done the ganking, been rolled by 50's, beat up on people a little lower than me and I've done it on Tatooine, Alderaan, Nar Shadaa and Balmora - that's all the farther I am, but I have heard of Imps on Hoth as well.

Not a night goes by where our tiny guild isn't running into PvP.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

World PvP is VERY MUCH there. I've been ganked, done the ganking, been rolled by 50's, beat up on people a little lower than me and I've done it on Tatooine, Alderaan, Nar Shadaa and Balmora - that's all the farther I am, but I have heard of Imps on Hoth as well.

Sorry dude but it seems you're playing a different game.

..Cake..

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I found the whole experience to be kiddish and lacking in any depth whatsoever, even for a themepark.  The entire experience is spoon-fed to you, and if you venture off their set path, you quickly see just how shallow and lifelss the game world is.

This is one of those cases where I wish I had been wrong six months ago when I really started paying attention to the game and what the devs were saying.  The writing was on the wall about the whole game holding your hand and stuffing their weak story down your throat rather than letting you create your own story.

Perhaps worse than this is when I came to the realization that the story elements were used to make this game seem deeper than it is.  The gameplay, the actual PvE gameplay is a static, tired, repetitive affair.  Even when compared to other themepark games, the combat in this game just does not stand out at all.  While Rift may be boring and shallow as well, the combat was much more visually stimulating and dynamic than in SWTOR.

What I didn't forsee six months ago, other than realizing in screenshots that the maps were very closed off in a lot of areas, was that the world would be almost completely devoid of 'life'.  There is no atmosphere here, no smoke/fog, no weather, few ambient details, and it reminds me of running around in a poorly-made diorama or Mattel "garage" toy.  It is a very confined and on-rails experience.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__jeLOSlnVbw/S_Itfd28R2I/AAAAAAAAAU8/JCgZAl8z3_k/s1600/IMG_4709.JPG

http://crazy4comiccon.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/img_0327.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d9Y09Kxa1lc/TEelu1Vb2_I/AAAAAAAAAVI/lfb3cooFbpo/s1600/dlxdiorama.jpg

In fact, this is kind of the theme of the whole game for me. "Don't look too closely" or you will notice all the things missing or wrong with it.  When you consider that this is a brand new AAA game set for an audience in 2012, you have to wonder how Bioware thought it was a good idea to leave out so many features that are considered standard these days.

To me all of this makes the game a poor themepark without even bringing sandbox into the discussion.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Even if you take the NGE into account, SWG still had a ton more depth at end-of-life than this game probably ever will.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Even in it's NGE form SWG outguns TOR, sure maybe not the first weeks but eventually you see TOR for what it is, a fun but short ride. And I know I am nagging but NGE 2005 was not at all like the NGE that shut down a few weeks ago.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

pre-cu vet, i find it very linear and anti-social.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I said "world PvP system". Emphasis on system. There are no world PvP objectives. There is no planetary control. There is no overall galactic control. There are no bases on planets to fight over and claim. There are currently no rewards to speak of for world PvP unless they managed to update that recently.

My post wasn't to say there isn't world PvP. Of course there is. It is to say there is no system to keep it interesting for people who want to do more than gank randoms.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

You can find my thoughts here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/332497/page/1

In conclusion, it's a good game but in the end, sadly, not the one for me.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

You should clarify Pre-CU vets, or post-NGE vets.

Not necessary...

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Apples -> Oranges

This /

I have been looking for that SWG feel for years now and although ToR is a different game, I am getting that feeling again. I think ToR is a brilliant game and I can see it being my only mmo for years to come.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

The games are completely different. Sandbox versus Themepark.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I found the whole experience to be kiddish and lacking in any depth whatsoever, even for a themepark.  The entire experience is spoon-fed to you, and if you venture off their set path, you quickly see just how shallow and lifelss the game world is.

This is one of those cases where I wish I had been wrong six months ago when I really started paying attention to the game and what the devs were saying.  The writing was on the wall about the whole game holding your hand and stuffing their weak story down your throat rather than letting you create your own story.

Perhaps worse than this is when I came to the realization that the story elements were used to make this game seem deeper than it is.  The gameplay, the actual PvE gameplay is a static, tired, repetitive affair.  Even when compared to other themepark games, the combat in this game just does not stand out at all.  While Rift may be boring and shallow as well, the combat was much more visually stimulating and dynamic than in SWTOR.

What I didn't forsee six months ago, other than realizing in screenshots that the maps were very closed off in a lot of areas, was that the world would be almost completely devoid of 'life'.  There is no atmosphere here, no smoke/fog, no weather, few ambient details, and it reminds me of running around in a poorly-made diorama or Mattel "garage" toy.  It is a very confined and on-rails experience.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__jeLOSlnVbw/S_Itfd28R2I/AAAAAAAAAU8/JCgZAl8z3_k/s1600/IMG_4709.JPG

http://crazy4comiccon.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/img_0327.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d9Y09Kxa1lc/TEelu1Vb2_I/AAAAAAAAAVI/lfb3cooFbpo/s1600/dlxdiorama.jpg

In fact, this is kind of the theme of the whole game for me. "Don't look too closely" or you will notice all the things missing or wrong with it.  When you consider that this is a brand new AAA game set for an audience in 2012, you have to wonder how Bioware thought it was a good idea to leave out so many features that are considered standard these days.

To me all of this makes the game a poor themepark without even bringing sandbox into the discussion.

Spot on,Not a vet myself but i have had some time in SWG pre-NGE,and even with just a bare minimum of features,i wished i had been there in fact i would have dropped an Eve account even though i lived it 24/7 for a good while

Now i see the same with Vanguard i see every feature i want in a Mo but even with SOE dilly dallying,i would rather wait to see if Bioware add something to entice me into SWTOR,or are they gonna milk the publicity for as long as possible and cash in to the detrament of the genre.

p>
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Basically I find it to be all too restrictive, as the game is mainly designed around the stories, and you can not rename your companions, as they seem tied to the story.

It seems that all the extra content is done, but now they get your monthly money, while they wait to release it whilst string you out for more monthly fees. I do not see the game having any major updates, and other MMOs update according to what the players do and react to, and mould it around the players desires, but this seems to be already set in stone, and so can not change even if the majority requests the stuff.

Other MMOs, even WOW and EQ2 you have the freedom to play the game the way you want to. Here you are on a guided course set out by the developers.

All servers are also instanced, like STO, and not capable of holding massive amounts of people in the main areas, so is more of a MO than a MMO

I find the story based stuff weird in SWTOR when playing with friends, as it is something new I suppose, but when get involved in the story I forget for a moment I am playing with others, and when I am fully aware of playing with others my mind wanders and can not concentrate on the story

It also seems rather similar to STO, and actually I think STO has been the best MMO since SWG. SWTOR is the better game than STO, but STO is the better MMO than SWTOR.

It is great as a single player game with online multiplayer options, but too restrictive for a MMO, and the monthly fee just seems to make it a bit of a rip off - They have already spent the money on the updates, whereas other MMOs use the money to progress things as they go.

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by BCuse

Played it in beta and since early access, the game is marketed for it's story and I completed it the story in 5 days in the process I got some closure on kotor by finding out what happened to Revan and the Exile. Currently rolled an alt to check the story as an imperial as the end game is just too buggy  but after that it is an unsub for me purely because I got what I wanted from the game and I need a game with more depth.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200