Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob Question

kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Playing for a a few days so far and finding the game fun. I do have on question I can't seem to figure out. How does "ship handling proficiency"  under the ship info section work? How does one increase it?

Thanks to anyone that can answer...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Your ship handling proficiency slowly increases as you sail around.

What you should have asked is what ship handling proficiency actually does.  Which for you, is nothing just yet.  When you get ship improvements, which requires an original ship and/or special shipbuilding permits (which costs real money), then their effects phase in as your ship handling proficiency increases.

For example, my current ship is a xebec, and has ship improvements of +90 vertical sails, +90 horizontal sails, and +2 wave resistance.  (Incidentally, this cost me about 22 million ducats and $1.20.)  Right now, my ship handling proficiency is 68/160.  (The max on larger ships is higher than on smaller ships.)  At this level of ship handling proficiency, the effects I get are +44 vertical sails, +44 horizontal sails, and +2 wave resistance.  Thus, my ship is slowly getting faster as I sail around, and I'll eventually get the full +90 effect on the sails.

That's something that you shouldn't worry about when you're new, unless you're willing to spend a lot of money on the game.  Even if $1.20 isn't much to you, 22 million ducats probably is.  Eventually tens of  millions of ducats is more manageable, and it's worthwhile to improve a ship that you're going to keep for a long time.  Note that the effects of the improvements are permanent.

I did have to spend $10 on gPotatoes (and then convert it to 10000 Netmarble cash), not just $1.20.  But that will pay for special shipbuilding permits for future ships, too.  I think the plan might be to make special shipbuilding permits cheap to convince people to pay something, and then while they have the Netmarble cash sitting there burning a hole in their pockets, convince them to buy other stuff that they weren't planning on.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Thank you. Much appreciated! image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• rixkrixk Member Posts: 45

Sailing improves it rather slowly. Craft on the sea and it goes up a lot faster. Need to move while crafting, sitting outside the port doesn't help.