Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is swtor dying..Or?

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Threads everywhere are too mixed.

I can't tell if the game is dying or if it's going to be a nice stable MMO to play. I don't want to get to into it if it's going to be empty by the time I'm at end game..

Comments

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

This forum is a terrible representation of the health of a game.

Even if someone rabidly hates the game and bashes it every chance they get, its not going to die anytime soon and even those folks can agree with that.

When the next big AAA MMORPG releases and fails to meet expectations, the hate will die down on this particular forum. Happens every time.

.. But in a good way.

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

Its gonna be a stable game no matter what for a good while..just might want to wait until Eabioware pad out end game a little more..its kind of shallow but it is early days i guess

posts like the one above me do not help..haters =/= fanboys

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by Sarariel

I can't tell if the game is dying or if it's going to be a nice stable MMO to play. I don't want to get to into it if it's going to be empty by the time I'm at end game..

LMAO

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

If there's anything i've learned it is that MMORPG forum is always wrong when it comes to how good a game is.

The game isn't dying lmfao, you're safe to play the game. Just remember not to bother with the whining kids on this forum, they are seriously retarded when it comes to games.

• KemengulKemengul Member Posts: 5

With so many new MMO's coming out in 2012 it is hard to tell if SWTOR is going to be THE biggest game. Look at all the competition, Diablo 3 (if it ever comes out), Tera, Guild Wars 2,  ArcheAge, Rift.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I don't know how many servers there are total.. but there are 4-5 light population (new servers) and * a lot full*  like you scroll through a bit before you run out of full and get to very heavy.

You can't predict the fute, but it's doing great right now.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Eh.. MMORPGs survive easily off of tens of thousands. TOR sold over 1.5 million, easily, just in hard-copies. If it retains a tenth of that, it will live on.

.. But in a good way.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Hint:  IT JUST CAME OUT!!!

/thread

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Chimps

If there's anything i've learned it is that MMORPG forum is always wrong when it comes to how good a game is.

The game isn't dying lmfao, you're safe to play the game. Just remember not to bother with the whining kids on this forum, they are seriously retarded when it comes to games.

You do realize, don't you,  the irony of giving someone game advice as a user of this site right after you basically called all users of this site 'always wrong' and 'seriously retarded when it comes to games'?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

{mod edit}
  • BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by Blacknd

Eh.. MMORPGs survive easily off of tens of thousands. TOR sold over 1.5 million, easily, just in hard-copies. If it retains a tenth of that, it will live on.

According to vgchats the 1st week box sales were around 1.7 millions. This makes it the 2nd best selling game in mmo history, the 1st in the last 7 years since Wow released in 2004 (2.2m) to achieve these numbers. It even sold more than the Skyrim PC version.

Add to this the digital downloads and I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed the wow initial sales. Let's wait for the official press release.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

The game is not dying and its rediculous to make any assumptions right now, they have well over 1.6 mil subs. 

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Even if this game follows the same path as other MMO's and loses 50-60% of the people that bought game, it will still be around for a long time.

Main things to look for on MMO's from my perspective?

Did launch go pretty well? Yes here.

Is the game mostly bug free and playable? again yes.

And will the dev's be active and fix issues and add to game quickly? This we can not say for sure yet, but from some dev posts they are aware of the issues people would like fixed, and added to. So it is a safe bet this game will be fun for most people for at least the first 30 days and for some for far longer.

So have fun:) Just try to pick a server you have friends on or one that is full the majority of the time so it does not seem to die when others might leave is the last issue.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

{mod edit}

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

{mod edit}

..Cake..

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    The game is fine and will have a strong following.It'd be foolish to think that it's going to die anytime soon.it'll have a long life ahead of it
  • BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by DarLorkar

And will the dev's be active and fix issues and add to game quickly? This we can not say for sure yet

According to the dev interview the shipped content is only the begining, some new cool stuff is comming shortly after launch. They seem to be ready:

Check it out at 7:40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_evKN0iKo

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by BigMango

Originally posted by Blacknd

According to vgchats the 1st week box sales were around 1.7 millions. This makes it the 2nd best selling game in mmo history, the 1st in the last 7 years since Wow released in 2004 (2.2m) to achieve these numbers. It even sold more than the Skyrim PC version.

Add to this the digital downloads and I wouldn't be surprised if it surpassed the wow initial sales. Let's wait for the official press release.

Just wanted to point out that it took WOW 12 months to get 1 million box sales it released in NA with 300,000 on launch day and didn't really take off with the huge sub/user numbers till it released in Asia.  I am sure WOW has gotten 2.2 million in box sales in the first day of an expansion but it deffinatly didn't get anywhere near that on launch day of Vanillia WOW.  This is why when someone says I was in WOW on launch day I take it with a huge grain of salt as in all proability they didn't actually start playing WOW till it had been out for 12 months or more.  Mind you credit where credit is due back in the day 300k was pretty huge Everquest didn't have that many more users and it was the biggest MMO of the day back then so by those standards WOW launch day was huge.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

LOL, honestly...there is more truth to this post than most people realize.  Not about the dying part, but about the fact that  if you spent any amount of time on these forums, you could literally have no clue as to how good or how popular the game is---it's that polarizing.  

On thing I can tell you is that the population is extremely healthy, and even if it loses 50-60% of its player base over the next 6 months, which I personally doubt, it willl still be the second most popular MMO in the west by far.  

On one hand you have people saying the game is a blight on the genre, the worst thing to ever happen to the industry since WoW.  On the other hand you have a segment of people saying it's the best MMO released since Vanilla WoW.  And in the middle you have a large amount of people playing the game that take it for what it is:  An imperfect, but tremendously fun and addictive, game that we believe will improve over time.  There are also a lesser contingent of people that have played the game that found it boring for them.  Where you fall into that spectrum is based on your own personal taste, and is up to you.  

But no matter what, one thing nobody can argue about , even the most fervent haters, is that the game is, as of right now, insanely popular.  And even if that popularity ebbs in the upcoming months, it will still be more popular than any game out there with the exception of WoW, unless Bioware totally screws the pooch. 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Chimps

You realize this goes both ways? There are ample amounts of threads claiming this game will outlive the test of time, and other threads that claim it's dying a quick and painful death. I think you're onto something, that you can usually judge what's going on with an MMO by reading our forums, but because MMORPG.com is welcome host to both extremes of the argument, I'd think that the most appropriate action to take is to find the middle road. Is the game dying? Certainly not. It's doing great, numerically. Are there individuals who have already stopped playing, because the game offers the same thing we've been doing for ten years with a voice acted story? I think you'd be able to find plenty of them, and I'm included. That's what this really boils down to, is concern for longevity, and as long as Bioware is able to keep new voice acted story content loaded and fresh for those of you who burn through it, I think it has a great possibility of being a competitor long term. If they aren't able to provide this, then people will grow tired of the end-game raid teiring that, again, we've be doing for ten years or more.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

As others have said: the one-month retention rate (since they are forced to update subscription if they want to continue playing after the initial "free" time) is a major benchmark for how well this game does. Until then, we can only speculate.

• russellb1975russellb1975 Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by grunt187

LMAO

lmAO exactly...this game won't die.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

The game is brand new. Where did you get the insane idea that the game is dying? There are over 240 servers. All of them running standard to 45 minute wait time at all times. 

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It was dead before it started now those few who play it realise they are playing a dying game:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Best way to know how well TOR is doing is by going to their website and checking their server status. It's right there for all to see. How well is it doing during peak hours and has it been consistent? I'll take those results over what is spewed on this site any day of the week.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

This discussion has been closed.