Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge K-Tera Player Resurgance

BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

I know people have been hearing a lot of bad stuff about Tera, well this is another situation where forums =/= In-game.  November and  most December had been pretty slow in terms of K-Tera recruitment, and it looked like this trend would continue on until late January because of SW:TOR.  But apparently this is not the case because as soon as the holidays were over we started seeing a huge increase in new players in-game, mostly EU of course.

I have been checking the forums about SW:TOR lately, and it seems that one of the biggest appeals of SW:TOR is it's Star Wars IP.  If TOR wasn't a Star Wars game a lot of people wouldn't be interested in it, and I'm assuming that Star Wars isn't as popular in EU as it is in NA.  I don't know the exact reason, all I can tell you is that from asking all these new players, most of them did try SW:TOR but didn't bother to stay for the full month. They also said they are happier with Tera's action combat and graphics, despite all the bothersome korean.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions from this, but I just wanted to share the good news, and let everybody know that the demand for Tera is still there.  Please don't ask in this thread how to get on to K-Tera, that's not the intent, nor is it to flame SW:TOR.  If you are interested in the game, you can google the information pretty easily or you can PM me any questions you have.

Comments

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Uhm... i dont think anyone who was interested in Tera thought SWTOR is a major threat... i mean come on... one is a wow clone with voice acting in space and the other is a completely different combat engine and a fresh new universe....

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

TERA is no longer on the top 10 played games in Korea, in which it barely held on their to begin with. It's a dying game, just deal with it.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

You're right, what the heck was I thinking?

I'm just gonna have to tell all these new players that subbed and told me that they were having fun that cleary they are wrong.  Some dude made a chart with a list of games, and Tera's not on it, so this game is done for.

Hold on while I go tell the other guilds on this server that were also getting new members the sad news I heard from a 3rd party source.  Time to boot everybody out and close up shop cause some stranger said this game was ass, and we need to just deal with it.

Thank you so much, we all have been living a lie for the past 3 months, and it's clear now that the people that are actually playing this game have no idea what they are talking about and we needed you specifically, top ten list guy, to let us know that we are wrong about this game being fun to play.

/end internet sarcasm

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Sector13

TERA is no longer on the top 10 played games in Korea, in which it barely held on their to begin with. It's a dying game, just deal with it.

So if it's not in a Top 10 list, it's automatically "dying" to you?

Wow.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Source?

Originally posted by WSIMike

So if it's not in a Top 10 list, it's automatically "dying" to you?

Wow.

Considering that it was considered a failed game at 9th place ... then yeah. When you are already considered failed and then drop further down that would mean it's "dying". Derp.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by coolgy

Uhm... i dont think anyone who was interested in Tera thought SWTOR is a major threat... i mean come on... one is a wow clone with voice acting in space and the other is a completely different combat engine and a fresh new universe....

Guess which game he prefers, kids! Go on!

Originally posted by BigBadWolfe

You're right, what the heck was I thinking?

I'm just gonna have to tell all these new players that subbed and told me that they were having fun that cleary they are wrong.  Some dude made a chart with a list of games, and Tera's not on it, so this game is done for.

Hold on while I go tell the other guilds on this server that were also getting new members the sad news I heard from a 3rd party source.  Time to boot everybody out and close up shop cause some stranger said this game was ass, and we need to just deal with it.

Thank you so much, we all have been living a lie for the past 3 months, and it's clear now that the people that are actually playing this game have no idea what they are talking about and we needed you specifically, top ten list guy, to let us know that we are wrong about this game being fun to play.

/end internet sarcasm

Not my problem that you are blind to the truth. Just cause new people sub doesn't mean old people continue to sub and if more people drop then are added that means it's dying. Seems more people are interested in playing Maple Story then TERA. I guess you should tell them to switch over to that game. Have fun.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

I hear Vanguard and DAOC are making great comebacks as well!

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Originally posted by coolgy

Guess which game he prefers, kids! Go on!

After playing one in a foreign language with no support and mostly solo vs the other which i could fully communicate in and was still less entertaining, i do believe i have the right to perfer one over the other. 

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by nblitz

Source?

Tera has fallen off of the top 10 list with http://www.gametrics.com/. It has dropped to #10 on http://www.gamemeca.com/

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I know people have been hearing a lot of bad stuff about Tera, well this is another situation where forums =/= In-game.  November and  most December had been pretty slow in terms of K-Tera recruitment, and it looked like this trend would continue on until late January because of SW:TOR.  But apparently this is not the case because as soon as the holidays were over we started seeing a huge increase in new players in-game, mostly EU of course.

I have been checking the forums about SW:TOR lately, and it seems that one of the biggest appeals of SW:TOR is it's Star Wars IP.  If TOR wasn't a Star Wars game a lot of people wouldn't be interested in it, and I'm assuming that Star Wars isn't as popular in EU as it is in NA.  I don't know the exact reason, all I can tell you is that from asking all these new players, most of them did try SW:TOR but didn't bother to stay for the full month. They also said they are happier with Tera's action combat and graphics, despite all the bothersome korean.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions from this, but I just wanted to share the good news, and let everybody know that the demand for Tera is still there.  Please don't ask in this thread how to get on to K-Tera, that's not the intent, nor is it to flame SW:TOR.  If you are interested in the game, you can google the information pretty easily or you can PM me any questions you have.

So let me get this straight, your playing a game where all the text in game is Korean? 

Yes, it's not difficult at all to play if you can get into a good guild, and have a lot of guides.  Not much different then what we would do while playing any other MMO.

That top ten list says Aion is #1 game, which is a great example of why people interested in playing Tera shouldn't care about top ten lists.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Star wars is as popular in EU as NA.

It might be possible that Bioware isn't though (but I don't really know, ME2 sold great here).

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

And how would you know? 

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24280

Quote from someone who lives in South Korea:

I'd say, according to the statistics of the PC Bang I go to, WoW is number one in this area. I still see a lot of raiders doing stuff together...it's awesome to see how social gaming is here! Aion is a very close #2, or even tied for first place depending on the month. This is what the owners have told me. TERA is somewhere between third and fourth. (Just speaking in MMO's, of course, not counting Starcraft, lol).

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

And how would you know? 

I'd say, according to the statistics of the PC Bang I go to, WoW is number one in this area. I still see a lot of raiders doing stuff together...it's awesome to see how social gaming is here! Aion is a very close #2, or even tied for first place depending on the month. This is what the owners have told me. TERA is somewhere between third and fourth. (Just speaking in MMO's, of course, not counting Starcraft, lol).

Last time I checked there is more then 1 PC Bang in S. Korea. Now don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure there is.  I think I'll trust websites dedicated to tracking that information then some random fan from S.Korea.

And you also forgot this part:

"And for some reason AION is mega popular beyond reason. So TERA is still doing OK here, but I feel it's really counting on NA box sales. I can't give any numbers, though. I'm just speaking from what the PC Bang owners and workers tell me."

Not something you would hear from a game that is doing oh so well, huh?

And how would you know? 

Interesting that you linked the wrong page to the statement and took out the "(at least my PC Bang, <-- remember that)," part. Good job being a biased fanboy when quoting someone. Last time I checked there is more then 1 PC Bang in S. Korea. Now don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure there is.  I think I'll trust websites dedicated to tracking that information then some random fan from S.Korea.

Yeah what ever dude.  All I know is what I see with my own eyes,  I play Ktera and have seen a lot of new players in the starting area over the last month. 

Could it be better?  yes 

Even with the new blood,  Ktera still lags far behind the other mmo's.  But even with that Tera wipes the floor over Rift & Tor.

I will grant you one thing though,  I am a fan of Tera but hardly a fanboy.  I see the potential AND the flaws in the game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

And how would you know? 

Interesting that you linked the wrong page to the statement and took out the "(at least my PC Bang, <-- remember that)," part. Good job being a biased fanboy when quoting someone. Last time I checked there is more then 1 PC Bang in S. Korea. Now don't quote me on that but I am pretty sure there is.  I think I'll trust websites dedicated to tracking that information then some random fan from S.Korea.

Yeah what ever dude.  All I know is what I see with my own eyes,  I play Ktera and have seen a lot of new players in the starting area over the last month. 

Could it be better?  yes 

Even with the new blood,  Ktera still lags far behind the other mmo's.  But even with that Tera wipes the floor over Rift & Tor.

I will grant you one thing though,  I am a fan of Tera but hardly a fanboy.  I see the potential AND the flaws in the game.

If you truely saw the flaws then you would know that there is no potential. The idea that this game will be able to even hold onto 200k subs is a stretch. Also, there is one HUGE factor between the Korean version and the NA/EU version that people seem to forget. We will have to pay 50/60 bucks to get started, they only have to pay 15/20. I'd rather pay 20 bucks and play for a month then pay 50 bucks and have a worthless box lying around. Lastly new players =/= player retention which is what matters.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

If you truely saw the flaws then you would know that there is no potential. The idea that this game will be able to even hold onto 200k subs is a stretch. Also, there is one HUGE factor between the Korean version and the NA/EU version that people seem to forget. We will have to pay 50/60 bucks to get started, they only have to pay 15/20. I'd rather pay 20 bucks and play for a month then pay 50 bucks and have a worthless box lying around. Lastly new players =/= player retention which is what matters.

Ill be shocked if this game makes a splash.  Aion failed to make a splash NA/EU.  eastern games just do not have a big market here and theres a lot of competitionwith SWTOR, GW2, MoP, and Im assuming a Rift expansion all coming out within the next 6 months

SW:ToR  has flaws does that mean it has no potential?

WoW had flaws at launch so does that mean it had no potential?

GW2 will have its share of flaws as well, does that mean its doomed to fail?

~derp

SW:ToR  has flaws does that mean it has no potential?

WoW had flaws at launch so does that mean it had no potential?

GW2 will have its share of flaws as well, does that mean its doomed to fail?

~derp

lol, you compare TERA to SWTOR, WoW and GW2? Then you are a fanboy. For one thing, SWTOR still has a chance of failure, it hasn't even past the first month yet. WoW brought things to the MMO world that weren't around back then and also had the time to cultivate into something better which newer games don't have and GW2 is B2P which is the main factor in its possibily success. Just because everything has flaws doesn't mean that something that has more flaws has a higher chance of potential. TERA has a huge uphill battle and EME doesn't seem to care in the least. The fact is that if SWTOR does under preform like many think it will then do you honestly believe that TERA stands a chance? I know I wont put my money on that bet.

You seem to be very vocal about a game you don't like, I'm sure there are more constructive ways to spend your time.

If EME didn't care about the product they would have done what J-Tera did and released an unfinished product to the public and then cut their losses.  I'm not saying their geniuses or anything, but at least they have a minimum of common sense to know that western gamers want.

But I'm not hear to predict if this game is going to hit big or not in the west, I don't know.  What I can tell you is that there's still very much demand to play this game, and SW:TOR's launch doesn't look like it will hurt the game's chances as badly as I thought.  I can also tell you that this game has only gotten better with every patch.  I can't speculate about retention as everybody here is treating K-Tera like a big open beta, but pretty much everybody that I've talked to about it said they really liking this game, and the ones that did unsub to K-Tera all said they are definitely going to buy the game at NA/EU launch.

I have no reason to lie this, I don't have any connections to EME/Frogster, I couldn't even get into closed beta if I wanted to.  I'm just a regular gamer that's played more than his share of MMOs and have quit, and now I'm playing Tera and I'm enjoying it.  Now I'm assuming that most players are tired of all these stupid lists, and 3rd party reports about the game, and are more interested in hearing the truth from the actual players themselves.

A lot of people are playing on K-Tera, and I'm one of them so I'm reporting what I see there.  If the game sucks I would definitely not be still playing it after 3 months, but it's actually a lot better than people give it credit for.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by bygeorge

Originally posted by nblitz

Source?

Tera has fallen off of the top 10 list with http://www.gametrics.com/. It has dropped to #10 on http://www.gamemeca.com/

Thank you.

You seem to be very vocal about a game you don't like, I'm sure there are more constructive ways to spend your time.

If EME didn't care about the product they would have done what J-Tera did and released an unfinished product to the public and then cut their losses.  I'm not saying their geniuses or anything, but at least they have a minimum of common sense to know that western gamers want.

But I'm not hear to predict if this game is going to hit big or not in the west, I don't know.  What I can tell you is that there's still very much demand to play this game, and SW:TOR's launch doesn't look like it will hurt the game's chances as badly as I thought.  I can also tell you that this game has only gotten better with every patch.  I can't speculate about retention as everybody here is treating K-Tera like a big open beta, but pretty much everybody that I've talked to about it said they really liking this game, and the ones that did unsub to K-Tera all said they are definitely going to buy the game at NA/EU launch.

I have no reason to lie this, I don't have any connections to EME/Frogster, I couldn't even get into closed beta if I wanted to.  I'm just a regular gamer that's played more than his share of MMOs and have quit, and now I'm playing Tera and I'm enjoying it.  Now I'm assuming that most players are tired of all these stupid lists, and 3rd party reports about the game, and are more interested in hearing the truth from the actual players themselves.

A lot of people are playing on K-Tera, and I'm one of them so I'm reporting what I see there.  If the game sucks I would definitely not be still playing it after 3 months, but it's actually a lot better than people give it credit for.

So, it's ok to be vocal but only with games you like? Well, forums would be a little pointless then. Last time I checked, forums were about discussions and discussions wouldn't be very interesting if it was nothing but people agreeing with each other. Also, there isn't a whole lot to do where I live at midnight, so not really much I can do that would be considered constructive.

As for EME, how do you know it was their decision and not Blue Holes? How do you know that it will be a finished product when it comes out here and not rushed unpolished end game? And they know what westerners want? You mean by just telling us all the updates that the Koreans are getting and saying that it's for us? Yeap, lying to us is exactly what we wanted. =P

As far as a lot of people, that's not close enough to an actual number to convince me. Especially after there were 2 server merges within that time. It would seem like a lot of people when there aren't many servers to choose from. Lastely, if the game didn't suck then it would have more then 100k PCU which BTW Aion has over 500k PCU.

Your logic is flawed. Aion is hugely popular in Korea but that doesn't make Aion a good game. In fact pretty much everybody in K-Tera hates Aion (obviously).

In fact it's safe to say that if you hate Aion, then you will absolutely Love Tera, and Aion is not that popular in the west which is entirely the point.