Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR sells 1.68m copies in its first week

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Tarwater

Originally posted by denshing

Originally posted by Shivam

Digital sales are not counted so i would say above 2 million easily which is very very impressive for a MMORPG. Congrats Bioware.

If true that is very impressive. It seemed like a majority of the player base was going to come from the pre-orders tbh.

I'm thinking they probably made enough to cover the costs of development?

I'm sure they're very happy.  And good for them!

Like I said, I think they'll probably end up with 500K subs in a year's time.  What they said they needed all along to turn a profit.  But I do think many people feel like they got burned, so the Bioware name will mean less the next time one of their titles comes out.  Especially after both DA2 and SWTOR, which are sub-par games.  My opinion, of course.

They made their money, but I imagine the Bioware brand took a major hit.  In a way, it reminds me a bit of Funcom and AoC.  Lots of people bought that title only to leave the game in droves.  I suspect that's going to happen here.

That being said, I'm sure I'll get ME3.  (I still say KOTOR 3 is how SWTOR should've gone, instead of some co-op mess.)  Regardless, I've been waiting for ME3 for a long time.  I hope some of my faith in Bioware can be restored. 

But the bottom line is that I'm glad an MMO title made some good money.  That bodes well when some company finally gets it right again.

I'd definitely disagree then. The sales figure alone would place this within the mmorpg market, as the second highest grossing retail in the industries entire history, and the fastest growing.

Imo, it's too early to say how well it will "retain", or whether it is sub par, (beyond personal taste), as it just launched a couple weeks ago. I get what you are saying about KOTOR 3 Vs SWTOR though, I was very confused when I first heard the announcement.

It probably  will probably begin to fall in subscriptions around the second month or so once many of the casuals begin hitting 50, although this is as true as blood when it comes to content oriented theme-parks.

The sales figures for AoC were some of the highest at the time, too.  But it's all relative.

Funcom couldn't retain diddly squat for subs, and I imagine that SWTOR is going to have a mass exodus.  Now, I'm not stating that as fact -- merely opinion, based on the lack of features and substandard PVP elements -- but I could certainly be wrong.  But my guess is that it will not retain over 1 million subs after a year. 

I think it will probably be around 750K subs. 

The lack of content is a killer, and given it's taken them 5 years to give us this (which I think isn't even a real MMO), I just can't see them producing content to stop the bleed once it starts.  And as you mentioned, I think that bleed starts once people arrive at 50 and understand that Bioware wants them to reroll.  That's already begun to an extent, and it's only going to get worse.

MMO subs are hinged upon an association between the player and the character; an affinity a player has for the time invested and trials and tribulations the player has undertaken to see his avatar through its journey.  Bioware wants you to abandon all that and discard that character in lieu of a (slightly) different experience.  I just think that's not going to work in the slightest.

We'll see.  But I legitimately see this game dropping like a rock.  And I'm not being a tard or a hater -- I really think that's the inevitable conclusion to a title that forgoes essential elements and tries to micromanage the player.  Not gonna work.

Big difference between AOC & TOR. AOC was a buggy unplayable mess with no content past level 30, TOR is not a buggy unplayable mess its a very smooth and playable game with many many months worth of content. And as for the association between player and character, this is the thing the game is the best in its field at, players are saying across the board about their attachment to their characters in TOR and finally lack of content, really? you actually believe TOR has no content thats proves you haven't played the game, I'm 52 hours in on one toon at level 21 I have seen hardly any content yet I've been on three planets out of 14, done 1 FP, 2 games of Huttball, and a less than a quarter of my class quests, I still have 7 other class stories to see, 11 planet to visit warzones to do, get all my crafts to 400 (I'm not even one hundred on any of them), I'm leaving multiple quests and heroics behind because I've out levelled the zone, the mind boggles to what you think is content. So saying that all what you have said is complete rubbish because you missed those salient differences between MMO's. So I'll file your post in the biased ramblings pile.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Calerxes

Digital sales are not counted so i would say above 2 million easily which is very very impressive for a MMORPG. Congrats Bioware.

If true that is very impressive. It seemed like a majority of the player base was going to come from the pre-orders tbh.

Like I said, I think they'll probably end up with 500K subs in a year's time.  What they said they needed all along to turn a profit.  But I do think many people feel like they got burned, so the Bioware name will mean less the next time one of their titles comes out.  Especially after both DA2 and SWTOR, which are sub-par games.  My opinion, of course.

They made their money, but I imagine the Bioware brand took a major hit.  In a way, it reminds me a bit of Funcom and AoC.  Lots of people bought that title only to leave the game in droves.  I suspect that's going to happen here.

That being said, I'm sure I'll get ME3.  (I still say KOTOR 3 is how SWTOR should've gone, instead of some co-op mess.)  Regardless, I've been waiting for ME3 for a long time.  I hope some of my faith in Bioware can be restored. 

But the bottom line is that I'm glad an MMO title made some good money.  That bodes well when some company finally gets it right again.

I'd definitely disagree then. The sales figure alone would place this within the mmorpg market, as the second highest grossing retail in the industries entire history, and the fastest growing.

Imo, it's too early to say how well it will "retain", or whether it is sub par, (beyond personal taste), as it just launched a couple weeks ago. I get what you are saying about KOTOR 3 Vs SWTOR though, I was very confused when I first heard the announcement.

It probably  will probably begin to fall in subscriptions around the second month or so once many of the casuals begin hitting 50, although this is as true as blood when it comes to content oriented theme-parks.

The sales figures for AoC were some of the highest at the time, too.  But it's all relative.

Funcom couldn't retain diddly squat for subs, and I imagine that SWTOR is going to have a mass exodus.  Now, I'm not stating that as fact -- merely opinion, based on the lack of features and substandard PVP elements -- but I could certainly be wrong.  But my guess is that it will not retain over 1 million subs after a year. 

The lack of content is a killer, and given it's taken them 5 years to give us this (which I think isn't even a real MMO), I just can't see them producing content to stop the bleed once it starts.  And as you mentioned, I think that bleed starts once people arrive at 50 and understand that Bioware wants them to reroll.  That's already begun to an extent, and it's only going to get worse.

MMO subs are hinged upon an association between the player and the character; an affinity a player has for the time invested and trials and tribulations the player has undertaken to see his avatar through its journey.  Bioware wants you to abandon all that and discard that character in lieu of a (slightly) different experience.  I just think that's not going to work in the slightest.

We'll see.  But I legitimately see this game dropping like a rock.  And I'm not being a tard or a hater -- I really think that's the inevitable conclusion to a title that forgoes essential elements and tries to micromanage the player.  Not gonna work.

Big difference between AOC & TOR. AOC was a buggy unplayable mess with no content past level 30, TOR is not a buggy unplayable mess its a very smooth and playable game with many many months worth of content. And as for the association between player and character, this is the thing the game is the best in its field at, players are saying across the board about their attachment to their characters in TOR and finally lack of content, really? you actually believe TOR has no content thats proves you haven't played the game, I'm 52 hours in on one toon at level 21 I have seen hardly any content yet I've been on three planets out of 14, done 1 FP, 2 games of Huttball, and a less than a quarter of my class quests, I still have 7 other class stories to see, 11 planet to visit warzones to do, get all my crafts to 400 (I'm not even one hundred on any of them), I'm leaving multiple quests and heroics behind because I've out levelled the zone, the mind boggles to what you think is content. So saying that all what you have said is complete rubbish because you missed those salient differences between MMO's. So I'll file your post in the biased ramblings pile.

Yes as AOC fans said the exact same thing as WoW when in reality AOC did have issues were as SWTOR has an gamebreaking issue and balancing issues for PVP right [now] so stay humble lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I would be shocked if after the first 3 months, there isn t 2 mill maybe more subscribers. In game people generally rave about it. I m on 3 servers, and they re like that on all 3. Some will leave, but I think it will slowly grow as well.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Since the official numbers were not released - aside form 1 million in first week ( from EA/BIoware press release )

This data is completely speculative.

Originally posted by RizelStar

Yes as AOC fans said the exact same thing as WoW when in reality AOC did have issues were as SWTOR has an gamebreaking issue and balancing issues for PVP right [now] so stay humble lol.

Why do I need to be humble? List the gamebreaking issues? AOC was unplayable in its first months and after Tortage the content just fizzled away. TOR has none of these issues I have been playing for well over 70 hours including my beta time and I haven't seen any gamebreaking issues and well PVPer's never whinge do they noooo that never happens. Every game I've played in the last 5 years from Darkfall (started 3 days after release) through WoW to Aion that have had PvP the forums have been littered with the PvP community shouting the loudest, its getting tiresome, if its not exploits its balance probelms to no open world PvP to tin can instance PvP to lack of players. I'm starting to think that the PvP community will never ever be happy but I know that forums make up a small percentage of players and I can jump into a PvP session in TOR and have a bit of fun, when I get to Illum I probelm have fun there, but ultimately I do not play TOR for PvP its a side game to me I'm a roleplayer. So when this game crashes and burns like many want (lots of negative Rift and GW2 people around I see image scared are we?) then I'll openly admit I was wrong but until then lets stick to some semblence of facts, OK. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by RizelStar

Why do I need to be humble? List the gamebreaking issues? AOC was unplayable in its first months and after Tortage the content just fizzled away. TOR has none of these issues I have been playing for well over 70 hours including my beta time and I haven't seen any gamebreaking issues and well PVPer's never whinge do they noooo that never happens. Every game I've played in the last 5 years from Darkfall (started 3 days after release) through WoW to Aion that have had PvP the forums have been littered with the PvP community shouting the loudest, its getting tiresome, if its not exploits its balance probelms to no open world PvP to tin can instance PvP to lack of players. I'm starting to think that the PvP community will never ever be happy but I know that forums make up a small percentage of players and I can jump into a PvP session in TOR and have a bit of fun, when I get to Illum I probelm have fun there, but ultimately I do not play TOR for PvP its a side game to me I'm a roleplayer. So when this game crashes and burns like many want (lots of negative Rift and GW2 people around I see image scared are we?) then I'll openly admit I was wrong but until then lets stick to some semblence of facts, OK. 

I agree, not sure what gamebreaking issues he/she is talking about. I ve not seen one in my beta time and now live that is gamebreaking. Pvp, ya the vocal minority whines non stop about not winning because of unfair this, and OP that. I love pvp and could care less about these minor squabbles these few people whine about.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Siveria

It may have sold 1.68 mil copies, but I bet it'll be lucky, VERY lucky to have 200-300k subs after the first month due to how generic,

You really don't live in the real world do you . I'm at present 225 in the que to get onto my server . Industry analysts all predict even higher sales in the coming two months . Remember huge numbers of people dont game much over christmas and the new year so wont even contemplate buying the game till early January .

200-300K subs don't make me laugh maybe 2-3 million by summer would be a more accurate assessment .

I know you want it to fail because you feel threatened by its success because it will inevitably take players from whatever game you subscribe to but its pretty obvious to everyone with any sence this games going to be huge .

All the trolling in the world wont stop that .

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

It may have sold 1.68 mil copies, but I bet it'll be lucky, VERY lucky to have 200-300k subs after the first month due to how generic,
    You really don't live in the real world do you . I'm at present 225 in the que to get onto my server . Industry analysts all predict even higher sales in the coming two months . Remember huge numbers of people dont game much over christmas and the new year so wont even contemplate buying the game till early January .
    200-300K subs don't make me laugh maybe 2-3 million by summer would be a more accurate assessment .
    I know you want it to fail because you feel threatened by its success because it will inevitably take players from whatever game you subscribe to but its pretty obvious to everyone with any sence this games going to be huge .

Queue times or positions of queue's is no indicator of how many subs they have. For all we know they have a 50 player cap on the server. Unlikely but the point is, that's not any true way to determine how many subs it has.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

While I do not expect it to 'fail', I do not see how Siveria's opinion is unreasonable -- especially considering the trend of other MMO's to be unable to retain long term resubs % of intial box sales.

TOR is a great KOTOR 3 multigamer -- though it does have some issues.

The jury is still out on how great TOR is as a long term P2P MMO game.   We wont have a good estimate until after March -- when many customers will have played it through once or twice, and now are judging the game on repeat content and gameplay.   

I would bet that most people 'spacebar' through repeated content, rather than having the exact same enjoyment from the VO's and Story, that they did the first time (just as movie goers do not go and see the same film over and over again, but rather see it only once or twice in the theaters).

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Only EA knows real numbers and they are silent about that (with exceptions of meaningless info like how many sith chars were created ...)

I dont consider 1.68 mil. copies for STAR WARS (according to some one of the biggest IPs in world) to be anything spectacular. If you count in cut for Lucas, I wouldnt be surprised if EA would earn less than Trion did with Rift.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The key thing to remember is that the VGChartz numbers are a guess! And the pre-order numbers were clearly off somewhat.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Yup, that number includes preorders.

How do you know...? Source?

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by Malevil

I dont consider 1.68 mil. copies for STAR WARS (according to some one of the biggest IPs in world) to be anything spectacular. If you count in cut for Lucas, I wouldnt be surprised if EA would earn less than Trion did with Rift.

It is just the 2nd place in the history of mmo sales, right behind WOW. No other mmo achieved this number of sales in the 1st week. And EAs press release just said they passed the 1m mark.

The only mmo that did better (Wow) did so 7 years ago. I am also surprised that Skyrim (which is not an mmo) did worse.

This is certainly spectacular if you ask me. Yes it's a big IP, but then Lotro, AOC, WAR, etc... all of them are huge IPs as well and they did worse.

Again for you, seems you missed it:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/

Geez, for once we have an mmo again breaking the numbers, but look at the amount of BS flying around on these forums. Its the same as "crap game" number X. Do whatever you want, people will never be happy and always contradict themselves; for every post there's another one with the opposite opinion.

No wonder companies don't want to invest in sandbox games, it's too much of a risk, seeing the mentality of the average Joe posting on these forums.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by BigMango

It is just the 2nd place in the history of mmo sales, right behind WOW. No other mmo achieved this number of sales in the 1st week. And EAs press release just said they passed the 1m mark.

The only mmo that did better (Wow) did so 7 years ago. I am also surprised that Skyrim (which is not an mmo) did worse.

This is certainly spectacular if you ask me. Yes it's a big IP, but then Lotro, AOC, WAR, etc... all of them are huge IPs as well and they did worse.

Geez, for once we have an mmo again breaking the numbers, but look at the amount of BS flying around on these forums. Its the same as "crap game" number X. Do whatever you want, people will never be happy and always contradict themselves; for every post there's another one with the opposite opinion.

No wonder companies don't want to invest in sandbox games, it's too much of a risk, seeing the mentality of the average Joe posting on these forums.

You really need to learn internets. Skyrim sales exceeded 3.4 million units in two days

Total is about 9 million units.

You, of course meant PC games (I presume) but there's the catch. I can imagine people playing games on consoles more than they do on PC and if there's a console at home they probably prefer buying it on that over PC (at least numbers say so, seeing BF was sold about 10 million copies and only 1.23m was for PC.

• TarwaterTarwater Member Posts: 63

I beta tested the game for 1/2 a year before release.  I think I'm probably more aware of content than you, who's only played to level 21 and 52 hours in.

Also, if you're going to respond, please understand the context and history of the post -- and don't simply come in like a child who wanders in during the middle of a movie and wants to know what's going on.  So, no thanks, Donny.  Go back to the lanes.

We're talking about content post 50.  Have you reached max level yet?  No.

Do you have an answer for players who have an affinity for a class and playstyle, who are forced to reroll to experience only slightly different content (per faction)?  No.  Your answer is Bioware's -- to reroll and abandon a character who've invested time in.  So, your answer is illogical and informed, just like your entire post.

I'll file your post under stupidity and misinformation. 

Thanks.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Originally posted by Pelaaja

You really need to learn internets. Skyrim sales exceeded 3.4 million units in two days

You, of course meant PC games (I presume) but there's the catch. I can imagine people playing games on consoles more than they do on PC and if there's a console at home they probably prefer buying it on that over PC (at least numbers say so, seeing BF was sold about 10 million copies and only 1.23m was for PC.

Yes I am talking PC games. If you take all platforms into account you have a much larger market.

And regarding  the people who prefer to purchase the console version, there are many who prefer to get it on PC due to the mods, gfx improvements and tweaks, etc... (this is an advantage you normally don't get with other console games)

I agree you have a point, but anyway you look at it it doesn't change the fact that we can call TOR sales spectacular seeing as no other mmo has achieved these numbers in the last 7 years since wow released.

Of course, we'll wait for the official numbers.

Yes I am talking PC games. If you take all platforms into account you have a much larger market.

And regarding  the people who prefer to purchase the console version, there are many who prefer to get it on PC due to the mods, gfx improvements and tweaks, etc... (this is an advantage you normally don't get with other console games)

I agree you have a point, but anyway you look at it it doesn't change the fact that we can call TOR sales spectacular seeing as no other mmo has achieved these numbers in the last 7 years since wow released.

Of course, we'll wait for the official numbers.

Yes, it's pretty good for a PC game. It climbed to 30th biggest selling PC game, but if it had been released earlier last year it might have got to 26th (Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, 2.08m global sales).

That listing looks a bit weird on some games, for example only Call of Duty: Black Ops says 0.47 in US and 0.62 in EU and Global is 1.32. What am I missing here?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yes, it's pretty good for a PC game. It climbed to 30th biggest selling PC game, but if it had been released earlier last year it might have got to 26th (Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, 2.08m global sales).

That listing looks a bit weird on some games, for example only Call of Duty: Black Ops says 0.47 in US and 0.62 in EU and Global is 1.32. What am I missing here?

Asia, Africa, south america and Australia?

Anyways, 1.68 millions is impressive (even though it was during X.mas week), it is clearly a MMO reccord and it will be interesting to see how the game fares in the future.

Originally posted by Loke666

Asia, Africa, south america and Australia?

Anyways, 1.68 millions is impressive (even though it was during X.mas week), it is clearly a MMO reccord and it will be interesting to see how the game fares in the future.

Here's the explanation:

"Figures in the above tables are millions of units sold. Note that in all cases, global data is extrapolated from USA, Europe and Japan data (which, together, represents approximately 75% of the global market) and thus should be taken as a rough estimate only."

So, that last paragraph is estimation. I think in case WoW it's not accurate, but WoW doesn't fit to any gategory anyway.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Maybe someone could get some actual info on this, but didn't AION almost hit 2million worldwide on launch? I'm sure read it somewhere. And Aion was well over 3.5 million at some point...and now its going FTP. Sub model is dying.

AOC also had over 1 million on its release?

And think about how much the MMO community has expanded, 2 million should be expected.

Ok found a bit myself, from wki.

In China, over 1 million players logged in within the first four days of release.

By 9 November 2009, the game had sold nearly 1 million copies in the west, with 500,000 units sold in the US and 470,000 units in Europe.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

the numbers game is a waste of time, i really don't understand why people fight over it.  company says numbers, they are lying, company says low numbers its fully believable, its sad really.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

I beta tested the game for 1/2 a year before release.  I think I'm probably more aware of content than you, who's only played to level 21 and 52 hours in.

Also, if you're going to respond, please understand the context and history of the post -- and don't simply come in like a child who wanders in during the middle of a movie and wants to know what's going on.  So, no thanks, Donny.  Go back to the lanes.

Do you have an answer for players who have an affinity for a class and playstyle, who are forced to reroll to experience only slightly different content (per faction)?  No.  Your answer is Bioware's -- to reroll and abandon a character who've invested time in.  So, your answer is illogical and informed, just like your entire post.

Thanks.

Who's talking about level 50 content? the thread is about 1st week sales and we are off topic, so really the only reason you are saying that is..... that your argument is full of holes and you would like to move the goalposts but that just invalidates you argument totally. The amount of spin the negative guys are doing here is tantamount to a ballroom dance contest. Nice insults though showing your true colours when backed into a corner.

• TarwaterTarwater Member Posts: 63

Thanks.

Who's talking about level 50 content? the thread is about 1st week sales and we are off topic, so really the only reason you are saying that is..... that your argument is full of holes and you would like to move the goalposts but that just invalidates you argument totally. The amount of spin the negative guys are doing here is tantamount to a ballroom dance contest. Nice insults though showing your true colours when backed into a corner.

I cannot account for your lack of reading skills.

As I said, you wandered into the middle of a conversation (after the topic had shifted), and then pop off and make claims.  I'm sorry you didn't realize that we were indeed talking about sub-retention in respect to a lack of content post 50.  But you didn't follow the conversation, and now seek to cover your tracks with passive-aggressive insults.

Par for the course. 

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I believe it will reach 2.5 to 3 million sales total and then flop once blowback gets into full swing. I'm giving it two more weeks before the first mainstream critic dares to yell that the "Emperor" has no clothes. After that... well, we've all seen what happens then, many times.

Thanks.

I cannot account for your lack of reading skills.

As I said, you wandered into the middle of a conversation (after the topic had shifted), and then pop off and make claims.  I'm sorry you didn't realize that we were indeed talking about sub-retention in respect to a lack of content post 50.  But you didn't follow the conversation, and now seek to cover your tracks with passive-aggressive insults.

Par for the course. 

Just had a look through all the posts upto your one and none of them are about post level 50 content, they are all covering the topic at hand, sales numbers, so I don't know who you are having a conversation with maybe you've posted on the wrong thread and are confusing the two threads I don't really know what to say now. So its probably best to end it here.