Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR sells 1.68m copies in its first week

Comments

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Ambros123

Initial sales records don't mean crap.  If you look at every major player in the MMO market you'll see that with every new xpac or MMO sale records are being broken which is because of the growing market of MMOers.  Cata, WotLK, some have mentioned AoC all had record sales, not sure if Rift broke the record but would say definately it was up there.  The  real question and what everyone really cares about is what will be the subs in 2-6 months time.

Don't fool yourself. Initial sales represent a very substantial portion of money that MMO's make. Not only that, it influences directly how many will stick with the game. If you only sell 500 thousand units, it's impossible to retain anything above that. However, if you sell 1 million units it is entirely possible to retain more than 500 thousand subscribers.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Just wondering, how many of the boxes wasn't sold.

Boxes at the hypermart near me haven't moved (nor have timecards), or they have a big storage of them.

Just a notice, cause the games section is where I frequent with my kids every freaking time we go there :P

Gamespot near me had a lot on the shelves day after release when I went to get it for my nephew.

I still think they hit 2 mill for the hype and  what not.

So that's cool for the first week.

Wasn't there a game that sold like 3 mill in one week, I don't think an mmo has(mainly one with a unfamiliar IP.)?

BF3 sold 5 million in its first week.

COD: Modern Warfare 3 sold 6.5 its first weekend, and 12 million its first week. This was November of this year. http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/15/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-declares-war-on-sales-records-12m-copies-738m-in-first-week/

WoW: Catacylsm sold 3.3 million its first day.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The next big milestone is first month retention rates. There is nothing about the game or player reaction that makes me think this game will break the trend of poor retention rates after launch we've seen from most of the AAA MMOs that have been released since WoW.

I was done with my Repubic play experience after just one week of retail (and almost a full week of Early Access). I'm hoping for a better experience with the Empire and so far my Imperial Agent has offered a better early experience than any Republic class I've played. Not very likely I'll continue past the free month, unless the IA just blows me away. Even then, the other flaws with the game will remain and once I've completed the RPG storyline for the IA, (if I stay that long), I just don't see much to keep me playing.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Golelorn

Boxes at the hypermart near me haven't moved (nor have timecards), or they have a big storage of them.

Just a notice, cause the games section is where I frequent with my kids every freaking time we go there :P

Gamespot near me had a lot on the shelves day after release when I went to get it for my nephew.

Wasn't there a game that sold like 3 mill in one week, I don't think an mmo has(mainly one with a unfamiliar IP.)?

COD: Modern Warfare 3 sold 6.5 its first weekend, and 12 million its first week. This was November of this year. http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/15/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-declares-war-on-sales-records-12m-copies-738m-in-first-week/

Ahh ok I figured something like that had happened just couldn't think of the games.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I bought it.

But i am not impressed with it.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Scypheroth

...and now im just a statistic to this turn and burn out game....worst 60 bucks i ever spent.

Ill bet you 60 bucks that you never purchased it, just looking for any opportunity to bash the game.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

If the sales were as phenomenal as the Biodrones wish us to believe, then we'd see more exponential growth than this. 

Weren't people predicting 3m in the US and 2.5 in Europe? LOL

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

It may have sold 1.68 mil copies, but I bet it'll be lucky, VERY lucky to have 200-300k subs after the first month due to how generic, boring, and linear the game is, it has no real replay value what so ever after you play 1 char thru each faction. SO many people who own the game say its bad, Boxes sold don't really mean jack in terms of mmorpg's, its the number of subscribers after. Honestly IMO anyone who would pay 15/month for swtor's sub fee is an idiot, the game is in no way worth a sub fee, when its bascally a single player rpg with a online element and not a mmorpg, no diffrent than say dragon age or diablo's online play, which both of thosie have free online play for people who own legit copies.. well not that you can't crack it to multiplayer on a pirated ver but thats besides the point.

I played swtor during the beta weekend and I just don't see why people think the game is so great. Its generic, not innovative at all, and quite frankly was fairly boring for me due to a total lack of things to do but follow the same string everyone else does. Maybe people just like boring games where you follow a string so they don't have to think for themselves? I dunno, I wouldn't be surprized if there was a subgenre of gamer like that.

Meh I am waiting for Arche Age and Phantasy Star Online 2, both games look like what mmorpgs used to be about, insted of this new shitty themepark garbage every dev is so hung up on. The themepark thing was fun 5+ years ago, but now a days? Its just stale and boring. I bet if swtor was released 5 years ago it'd not be getting such negative press and critizism, since back then themeparks were loved. Bascally what I am saying is swtor is about 3-5 years late to the themepark party, and alot of real mmorpg players won't stand for it anymore.

I bet about 85% of those copies sold also were bought by fanboys who had no idea if the game was any good, never underestimate how much a fanboy will spend on stuff they like, look at the CE for swtor, double the price for a bunch of junk thats gonna rot in the box.

Meh I wish there was a way to block swtor forum threads from showing up in that thing on the mmorpg.com mainpage, because I am so sick and tired of seeing every one of the 6 of them be swtor this or that, its getting old, very old. You know the thing that updates every 10 seconds or so?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by pharazonic

If the sales were as phenomenal as the Biodrones wish us to believe, then we'd see more exponential growth than this. 

It's only been released for eleven days.  Why would growth be exponential at all?  The game isn't going to jump from a million to trillion.Wouldn't it just be growth?

Judging by the estimates posted by some people in this site, we should be seeing at least 500k more sales by now. 

But we aren't! image

It's only been released for eleven days.  Why would growth be exponential at all?  The game isn't going to jump from a million to trillion.Wouldn't it just be growth?

Judging by the estimates posted by some people in this site, we should be seeing at least 500k more sales by now. 

But we aren't! image

You have no idea what the sales are. That 1.68 million guess is just for box sales. If you add in the digital sales they could already be well over two million.

If that is the case then why isn't EA blaring their awesome figures on loudspeakers? image

PS. It would still fall short of the estimates posted here time and time again. Just sayin~

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Nice straw man.

I believe the consensus was 1.5M to 3M within the first month. Easily attainable, if it hasnt already been met.

Shouldnt you be worrying about that flop GW2, and quit spending 80% of your posting time on a game you cant stand? That over hyped POS has no where to go but to disappointment land, because of the standards you folks wanna rail about, there is no way it will meet them.

I hope when I get to the point I gotta bitch about a game I have no interest in, instead of actively enjoying a game, that I have the common sense to hang up my video game spurs.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

But we aren't! image

"We" haven't seen anything other than estimates.  So, what point exactly are you trying to make? 

But we aren't! image

You have no idea what the sales are. That 1.68 million guess is just for box sales. If you add in the digital sales they could already be well over two million.

If that is the case then why isn't EA blaring their awesome figures on loudspeakers? image

Because the marketing department doesn't work Sundays. Because if they used loudspeakers the only people that would hear it are near their offices.  Because they might be waiting until they have actual sales figures. They might be waiting for it to hit three million. Of they could just be giving you enough rope.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

It's a good figure to say the least.

It's on par with the sane predictions on these forums, so not surprisingly low or high.

Now they have to face the average player that plays the content once and decides wheter to subscribe or not. With retention rate of 50% they are at 800k that is a huge success.

800k is a huge success? then why is it this forum and many other claimed Rift was a failure when it actually did better than that?  Oh,  i know, because its not Bioware nutswingers.

Just FYI those people added 25% to that figure based on some bullshit extrapolation, the only number im even slightly inclined to believe is 1.4 million.

Consider that Age of Conan and Warhammer Online both sold well over 1 million boxes in the initial launch, and you can see why i'm not impressed by these figures, even slightly.  And those games at least took longer than a week to get to max level.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by Golelorn

And Cataclysm only ended up at 4.3 million sold after everything was said and done.  Just goes to show.  Most of these games don't sell a lot after the initial fanboy/hype sales.

And consoles don't really count.  Those people might as well be Justin Bieber fans.  They'll buy a game from a developer sight unseen knowing nothing about it simply because it has a certain name printed on the cover. 

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Didn't VGChartz say there were 900.000 preorder boxes sold in the US? Which lead some people to believe 900.000 boxes in US + digital copies + EU + World = 2-3 milion preorders?

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I think we are forgetting the most important part of this:

It's almost time for Uncle George to swoop in and take his 35% cut for providing those bleeps and boops.

Like others have said, hopefully they take some of the profits they have left and put it back in the game to get it as good as they can for this first year especially.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

It just shows the people that actually purchased the game are not really MMO players. Anyone who thinks an MMO company makes all their money on purchases is out to lunch. Lets say they make 50 bucks off of a in store purchase (which they wont make close to that) and give the first month for free. So really they are getting 35 bucks. Now look at 15 bucks a month over 4-9 years and you tell me what makes more money. Not even adding in extra money from transfers, re-names, etc. The problem is that the new generation of mmo players dont play the same MMO for that many years so they dont think about those numbers, but a lot still do. There is still a lot of people playing DAOC, WOW, etc.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by parrotpholk

The only reason I find it odd is because they stated they were staggering and holding back copies for launch and close to 2 million out of the gate is not staggering your launch.

iirc, EU sales were capped and halted, US sales should proceed normally.

Also, the US pre-order sales were also something like 970k, just a coincidence? Aren't those actually same numbers and the estimate for pre-orders?

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Lol Siveria is waiing for Phantasy Star online 2 because he's tired of themeparks.

Um..PSO is a lobby based game, not even an mmo. It's more instanced than Guild Wars.

You guys crack me up.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Scypheroth

...and now im just a statistic to this turn and burn out game....worst 60 bucks i ever spent.

Maybe better change your sig' then ?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Pull some posts for evidence of those fanboy predictions or your numbers mean nowt and you are just making them up as usual just to be a negative nancy. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by Calerxes

Pull some posts for evidence of those fanboy predictions or your numbers mean nowt and you are just making them up as usual just to be a negative nancy. 

He is not making it up, several people said that, although most people predicted 2-3 million. I predicted 2 million.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

1.68 million in eu and us alone in the first week not countin elsewhere!this is insanelly good!most other game include asia !wich boost number a lot .kind of weird tho ,it looks like they use data thast were meant for something else that were released 1 or so after lauch!if i am right this wouldnt be for a week sale!

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Gdemami

Also, the US pre-order sales were also something like 970k, just a coincidence? Aren't those actually same numbers and the estimate for pre-orders?

Yup, that number includes preorders. Which means that actual first week sales before Christmas would be...

*drumroll*

9000 US Boxes!

958,073 preordered US boxes on Dec 17

967,764 total US boxes on Dec 24

Maybe some retailers haven't reported their sales yet...

Hype train -> Reality