Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what is the current FOTM OP PvP Build?

Been waiting on this game for a while.. Finnaly got my new computer built and I'm bout to hop on origin and give it a download now.. But I was wondering what the current FOTM build is for SWTOR? I plan on going sith.. I was eyeing the sith warrior as warrior is the build i went with in RIFT (back when it was the FOTM build at launch) but I'm sort of interested in the current FOTM build.. Is it even a sith warrior? I heard the classes with the force lightning were the OP ones during beta.. I havn't kept up with the game since then, i suspect there has been/will be nerfs?

Thanks guys :)

Currently Playing:
Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

Comments

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

Been waiting on this game for a while.. Finnaly got my new computer built and I'm bout to hop on origin and give it a download now.. But I was wondering what the current FOTM build is for SWTOR? I plan on going sith.. I was eyeing the sith warrior as warrior is the build i went with in RIFT (back when it was the FOTM build at launch) but I'm sort of interested in the current FOTM build.. Is it even a sith warrior? I heard the classes with the force lightning were the OP ones during beta.. I havn't kept up with the game since then, i suspect there has been/will be nerfs?

Game pvp feels pretty balanced atm to me.  Even if there was a fotm I wouldn't give it to you knowing you plan to run out and use it til its nerfed.  How bout you play what you enjoy and stop trying to find the most op'd build.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by treysmooth

Game pvp feels pretty balanced atm to me.  Even if there was a fotm I wouldn't give it to you knowing you plan to run out and use it til its nerfed.  How bout you play what you enjoy and stop trying to find the most op'd build.

It's ridiculously unbalanced. Basically anything but melee.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Alders

I've played worse. A lot worse. It only seems unbalanced when people seem to think they should be soloing 5+ players or they die to a better player.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    In another thread on these forums some posters claimed that classes with knockback abilities and sprints had an advantage in PVP with melee classes generally seeming to be outmatched by ranged.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

First of all, it feels quite well balanced. If you do want a class that seems OP (from what I hear) and is quite easy to play, try a sorcerer (no matter which side).

Good luck on your quest to play the fotm game.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Probably Concealment Operatives (and their mirror).  They really aren't OP when paired against level 50s in PvP gear(especially in group PvP), but because almost nobody has PvP gear and not many are 50, they have a tendency to kill people inside of their initial burst... basically before the person even has a chance to move.  However, if you break the knockdown and instantly CC them, you can pretty much stomp them out as they are pretty weak outside of their opener.  The only real issue is that their hidden strike cooldown needs to be longer so they can't vanish and do it 2x in a row.

Honestly though, I haven't really seen a class at 50 (against other 50s) that was OP.  My Assassin has a lot of trouble with tanks, especially Juggernauts, but that's to be expected.  There might be some argument that Sorcs/Sages survival (via bubble/knockback/roots/cc/kiting/etc) is a bit over the top, but it's certainly not a huge deal at this point.  I'm sure that will change and evolve as people figure things out.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Sith Inquisitor/Jedi Consular or Sith Assassain/Jedi Shadow. Shields, speed boosts, the first one I listed has heals, the second stealth. Melee is poor, ranged is great just because of the amount of z-axis PvP that happens everywhere.

I play Commando heals, and at 42 with my current toolkit I can outheal 2-3 players whacking on me almost indefinitely as long as I juke interrupts.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

An Operative will destroy you in 3 GCD's. Powertechs, Jedi Consular and Troopers top all the damage charts.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Zeal77

An Operative will destroy you in 3 GCD's.

No, they won't. They're nasty but that is just plain exagerration.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484
    Anyone saying melee is bad... Is bad, don't mean to hurt your feelings but wow. Wooowww. This is where gaming "skill" comes in apparently because my group dominates and melees push 300k dps when we ignore objectives and focus on that. Enjoy trying to 1v1 them too with a ranged champ. Lol ridiculous, Definately one of the most balanced games at launch. There is no bad classes other than a sin until it levels up.

to the op inquis Sorc or Jedi counselor seems to be the popular op claim. They do have a strong kit that can overwhelm bad players.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Melee is considered harder.

Sorc/Sage gets the most complaints it seems, alongside anything that can stealth. The stealthers due to their opening burst and.. well.. stealth.

Tanks get Guard and Taunt, and there are both Melee and Ranged tanks.

Healers seem pretty balanced.

.. But in a good way.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by fony

{mod edit}

Please don't speak about things you haven't actually experienced.  Thanks.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I played a melee, and did OK - nothing spectacular. I played a healer and hated it. Healing in PvP is totally borked. Healing is nerfed by 30% right off the bat(PvP trauma).

Plus add in the massive damage being put out, and your measly 2-4k that takes 3 seconds to get off healers are pretty much not balanced in PvP. I should mention this is from a Jedi Con. No experience with the other healing classes.

DPS rules in PvP. I believe a BH or smuggler would be the way to go, but I haven't had the motivation to play.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Originally posted by Golelorn

I played a melee, and did OK - nothing spectacular. I played a healer and hated it. Healing in PvP is totally borked. Healing is nerfed by 30% right off the bat(PvP trauma).

Plus add in the massive damage being put out, and your measly 2-4k that takes 3 seconds to get off healers are pretty much not balanced in PvP. I should mention this is from a Jedi Con. No experience with the other healing classes.

DPS rules in PvP. I believe a BH or smuggler would be the way to go, but I haven't had the motivation to play.

false information. Has no idea what he's talking about. Heal spec'd in a heal tree lowers cast times and boosts heals, I have seen a healer solo heal himself with 2 people beating on him and get away. DPS from squishy ranged classes like BH is AOE and spread out DoTs, sure the numbers can get high but you have no real cc no real survivability in comparison to other classes. Melee Warriors can charge in and beat people down doing amazing single target dps. Power Tech, the tank BH has ranged attacks but also solid melee attacks nad a ton of survivability, many consider this to be the tankiest class in the game yet it still can dish out heavy dps, has a charge and a pull. Assassins start off slow but as you level you start to unlock their kit and i'll be the first to admit it, on my Merc... their knock down = I'm dead, they have crazy single target burst and can stealth to get away while in combat... reall dislike that ability but it's there and very useful.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• BigjitBigjit Member Posts: 59

That may be so right now but when tanks/melee start rolling around in pvp gear they are going to bring the hurt. Melee are always gear dependant more so than ranged (imo).

• BigjitBigjit Member Posts: 59

Not really true. Well in part it is but your not looking at the the whole picture (world pvp). It looks to be quite fun roaming around in groups. Give it some time.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Bigjit

Not really true. Well in part it is but your not looking at the the whole picture (world pvp). It looks to be quite fun roaming around in groups. Give it some time.

I only comment on my experience. Not what it looks to be, what it should be, or what it has potential to be. At this time, IMO, healing does not win warzones. Just balls to the wall dps.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Not sure that will ever be possible.

While I have leveled a character past the starter area in all the possible Classes, the number of Abilities you have at that point are mind boggling.

I could fill up 4-5 Quickbars with all the abilities and spends weeks figuring out whats best.

The Jedi Consular I chose as my main has so many abilties at 21 that I have no idea whats best for PvE let alone PvP.

Gonna take weeks t figure it out, myself.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Kyleran

In another thread on these forums some posters claimed that classes with knockback abilities and sprints had an advantage in PVP with melee classes generally seeming to be outmatched by ranged.

I am ranged and get killed pretty easily by melee. They do a lot more damage then I do and Often have a lot of stuns. I am a trooper and only level 20 though (not sure if the PvP buff also buffs armour stats and increased the rank of your abilities). Now if my enemy would actually stay close together then I could do some nice damage with my trooper, but shamefully that hardly happens :P.

Mainly focus on healing though and seems that there are some nice healing ability waiting for me. I hope I get more usefull by that time. Right now I usually am in the middle of the stats of both damage and healing. Not being completly useless, but am used to "score" higher.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

best class tro play is a level 50 class!a lot that complain about class imbalaance havent notice that the guy who pawned them was fully pvp atired,rule of tumb PAY ATTENTION.if the guy is level 50?STAY AWAY FROM HIM!1 to 49? np you can try to take him on!it will still be a bit unbalanced if you take on a 49 and your a 20 but less !(might have to kite a lot)

by the for those not understanding!this is for organise pvp like huttball!dont do what i mention in world pvp YOU WILL BE TWO SHOT killed!

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I think we have to wait till the majority of the player base gets to 50. 

However I feel like Warrior classes need a CC a lot earlier like the other classes and they need more damage. Right now you can get the top players who're always 1 or 2 in the damage rankings with any class they play but the warriors. 

Originally posted by DexterMMO

DPS from squishy ranged classes like BH is AOE and spread out DoTs, sure the numbers can get high but you have no real cc no real survivability in comparison to other classes. Melee Warriors can charge in and beat people down doing amazing single target dps. Power Tech, the tank BH has ranged attacks but also solid melee attacks nad a ton of survivability, many consider this to be the tankiest class in the game yet it still can dish out heavy dps, has a charge and a pull. Assassins start off slow but as you level you start to unlock their kit and i'll be the first to admit it, on my Merc... their knock down = I'm dead, they have crazy single target burst and can stealth to get away while in combat... reall dislike that ability but it's there and very useful.

You are kidding right? Bounty hunter is far from squishy, wears heavy armor and can heal, their DPS AC can just stand face to face with a Sith Warrior and spam it's tracer and heat seeker missiles while soaking every bit of damage the warrior can do to it and be the only one standing. Even flat out DPS spec on my 50 warrior last night i couldn't even come close to outdamaging a 50 merc who just stood there and took what i could give him.

Originally posted by tixylix

However I feel like Warrior classes need a CC a lot earlier like the other classes and they need more damage. Right now you can get the top players who're always 1 or 2 in the damage rankings with any class they play but the warriors. 

They don't need more damage, they need more survivability. Even a Juggernaut who specs for damage can really dish it out but the problem is that our armor isn't giving any more protection than the proper DPS classes whilst they have other tools at their disposal. We have to rely on 2 buffs that last all of 10 to 12 seconds, one of those can only be gotten from the tank tree.

One of the fellas I do the warzones with each day plays a DPS specced 50 asassin and i play a tank specced 50 juggernaut. Mercs hit him for 3k, guess how much they hit me for too? 3k.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by tixylix

They don't need more damage, they need more survivability. Even a Juggernaut who specs for damage can really dish it out but the problem is that our armor isn't giving any more protection than the proper DPS classes whilst they have other tools at their disposal. We have to rely on 2 buffs that last all of 10 to 12 seconds, one of those can only be gotten from the tank tree.

One of the fellas I do the warzones with each day plays a DPS specced 50 asassin and i play a tank specced 50 juggernaut. Mercs hit him for 3k, guess how much they hit me for too? 3k.

Are you sure. I m a tank specced jugg, and I don t get hit for nearly the damage my wifes BH gets hit for. On top of that I have a boatload more HP then she has.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The problem with melee is the maps themselves, except for Alderaan. Far too much shit to get knocked off of constantly. Also when you go up against 5-6 sorcs constantly,  you'll wanna pull your hair out.