Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first negative criticism of the game: not enough open world pvp

Firstly, i LOVE SWTOR. Never had this much fun since vanilla wow.

But yeh, I love pvp; especially open world pvp that just happens out of nowhere with a few skirmishes between a few players and then snowballs into drawn out gang warfare. I grew up in the Scottish ghetto: a nasty place full of gang violence and territorial melee; glad I escaped that rotweiller pit of poverty and cruelty, but I do occasionally get nostalgic for the old ultraviolence and pvp in mmorpg games gives me a virtual hit of that "old magic" that defined and messed up my childhood and teenage years.

So I was hoping for more open world pvp in this game.

I am level 35 now and only got a brief taste of it on tatooine.

I remember vanilla wow pre-battleground days and how by level 20  there were pitched battles around Tarren Mill that lasted hours and I loved this more than any other thing in the game. Tarren Mill and not Ogrimmar (I was always Horde) was the place to be back in those furious days of the old ultraviolence savage like. It is easy to see why: the Horde and Alliance town were right next to each other and the questing hubs overlapped so it was guaranteed that members of the opposing faction would clash.

I think the problem with SWTOR is that the quest hubs and quest areas for each faction are way too separated and far apart and maybe this is why I am still not seeing common open world pvp on any planet (up to Taris thus far).

I am now gonna try and make world pvp happen by forming groups to actively go out of our way and find the republic towns/hubs and then gank their asses and ruin their "story", but I was hoping this would happen naturally like it did in vanilla wow.

I adore this game and I want the open world pvp to be better. I don't wanna wait until 50 and that pvp planet to get a regular  taste of it.

Regards

Melmoth

Comments

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

no nuf 50's man give it time.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Fully agree.

I share your preferences and your disappointment in this regard. I did engage in world pvp a few times but I really had to go out and look for it. Planets open up more later but questing areas between factions don't overlap much.

Also I was hoping on incentives for world pvp, like dailies, capturable objectives, etc, at earlier levels. Right now it seems mercenary commendations are only something to concern yourself with at level 50 on Illum.

Also you don't get valor points for killing people out in the open world as far as I've seen.

Still having a blast though and hoping things with change at level cap. But so far, yeah; disappointing in this regard and kind of a biggie for me, this aspect.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I have to agree. For me, Warhammer had the only PVP I really enjoyed. Arena PVP is way too hectic with run here run there, get flag. And the result of X vs X is alway: it is WAY too heavy dependent on the skills and TS coordination. As causal PVPer like me, you rarely have a chance against coordinated pros in arenas.

What SWTOR should have had, is tiered open pvp as in Warhammer. Adding a level 20-30, a level 30-40 and a level 40-50 open zone with a fortress and some points of interest can't be so difficult. There are many people from whom PVP is important, so it has to have a priority. I really hope we see some interesting open PVP, ideally tiered for lower levels also, soon. This WOW like arena PVP is so not my thing.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert