Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Guide to the HUTTBALL Warzone

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the latest Game Face, MMORPG.com's "Pokket" takes a look at the Hutball Warzone from Star Wars: The Old Republic. You'll get tips and tricks for surviving this action-packed PvP zone. Check Game Fact #17: Guide to SWTOR's HUTBALL Warzone and let us know what you think in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

Great tutorial video, and your game looks like it is running a lot smoother that your previous videos. This video did a good job of making me want to play SWToR. I am still holding out until they add a few patches though. I always find it better to play a game after it rids all of the release bugs and glitches. Good Job, Happy New Year! ^^

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Republic always facerolls us in Huttball because empire dun know how to pass nor how to protect them ball handlurs.

V_V

/sad pony

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by DarkPony

Republic always facerolls us in Huttball because empire dun know how to pass nor how to protect them ball handlurs.

V_V

/sad pony

Exactly the opposite on our servers...  I don't think half of the republic on our server even knows what the icon for the ball looks like.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by maskedweasel

V_V

/sad pony

Exactly the opposite on our servers...  I don't think half of the republic on our server even knows what the icon for the ball looks like.

What server type do you play on Weasel?

Me on RP-PVP. Had the same thing on WAR RP-PVP servers, by the way: the "goodies" dominating in battlegrounds.

• ledheadledhead Member Posts: 4

issue i most often have in hutball is the chain CC which prevents me from passing as i get killed. If the ball is gonna slow you down by having it it should give you a greater resistance to getting chain locked.

As a non tank i only get one break and as my server is almost always Emp on Emp huttball there are always 2 or 3 Sorc waiting to lock down any ball holder.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by maskedweasel

What server type do you play on Weasel?

Me on RP-PVP. Had the same thing on WAR RP-PVP servers, by the way: the "goodies" dominating in battlegrounds.

I'm on one of thems there, whatchoo call'em.. PEE-VEE- E servers.    

So, I guess I should expect a lot of poor PvPers.  Republic is way outnumbered on my server though,  and Imperials seem to run premades.    Last night I was in a match  on huttball against a premade.. we  were shutout 6 - 0 in roughly 3 minutes.  Afterwards I promptly logged off and cried in a corner.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

V_V

/sad pony

I didn't even know republic played huttball on my server....all I ever see is empire :P

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

It's as if people don't know that you get an ability to pass the damn ball. Or that you have to run the ball TO THE OTHER TEAMS SIDE.

• DiggiddyDiggiddy Member Posts: 1

Great Vlog Pokket !!!

Diggiddy

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

The strategy is simple: Pass and pass and pass some more. :) A few coordinated players can easily make it a 6-0 game, because a few well-timed passes are enough to score. 

And yeah. It's a special occasion when I get to play against Republic in Huttball. :) Thankfully there are the two other Warzones where I get to see them. Most of the time, Empire wins those.

• EdenvaleEdenvale Member Posts: 1

Great guide, thank you! I have been wanting to try Huttball but as a recovering WoW player, I try to stay away from ignominy.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    The problem with Huttball is that you're given such little instruction. The ball should be marked in the game world, but it's only a tiny dot on the map and mostly obscured by the dots of other players.

If you don't already know your objectives, you aren't going to have much luck figuring them out.

I use it as an example a lot, but TF2 marks everything very well. An arrow points to the current objective, and if you go to the objective and kill anyone near it, you're helping your team. To be honest, the objectives in Huttball are just too complicated for casual play.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

GREAT VIDEO!

Went in to pvp the other day and didn't know what I was doing, but I figured out the basics.  This video cleared up several things for me and is very helpful.  Thank you, I know I'll probably enjoy Huttball a little more now for sure :)

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

The problem with Huttball is that you're given such little instruction. The ball should be marked in the game world, but it's only a tiny dot on the map and mostly obscured by the dots of other players.

If you don't already know your objectives, you aren't going to have much luck figuring them out.

I use it as an example a lot, but TF2 marks everything very well. An arrow points to the current objective, and if you go to the objective and kill anyone near it, you're helping your team. To be honest, the objectives in Huttball are just too complicated for casual play.

Too complicated for casual play? Seriously? The loading screen makes it very very clear to anyone with half a brain that the objective is to take the ball across the enemy's line, and that you have an ability to pass the ball if you happen to have it. 

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by travdoty
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Too complicated for casual play? Seriously? The loading screen makes it very very clear to anyone with half a brain that the objective is to take the ball across the enemy's line, and that you have an ability to pass the ball if you happen to have it. 

Loading screen? What makes you think anyone reads that? I'm sorry, but that's just not how game design works. People clearly aren't understanding what to do. This is because the objectives are poorly indicated.

If it's so obvious, then why do people seem to have so much trouble? It's the most common complaint with Huttball by far. When you design something, you have to make it understandable. You don't just roll the dice and hope that people's brains don't temporarily short just for the duration of the match.

You can blame players for not reading the instructions all day long, but that won't change a damn thing. There's a reality that needs to be accepted. Bioware makes a game. People don't have fun playing said game. Bioware's job is to make sure people have fun. If people aren't having fun playing Huttball, then Bioware is doing a bad job.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

very good guide pokket!i loved the tip about the trow ball feature a lot dont know it is avail,their skill bar is full when they receive it so they never noticed it!use this as often as permit ,if you think you have the time ?YOU DONT HAVE THE TIME!the enemy is already on you tail!and yes as we learn the rope of huttball it is way more addictive then it look it take insane amount of strat to win and the other team are also adjusting ,when this goes level 50 pro-pvp this will be a sport into its own

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56

so the green haired elf customised herself into a white haired elf ... good tutorial about customising elfs :D

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

V_V

/sad pony

there is no republic or empire in huttball its mixed factions is it not?

• AzarithAzarith Member UncommonPosts: 52

Teams are not made up of both factions. I stopped listening there. You can fight vs your own faction but you will not be teamed with enemies.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Ive played a lot of huttball, it has always been faction vs faction when i played

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

on swiftsure server us republic get rolled in nearly all pvp cause ppl just fight and not worry about objectives. we win every now and then but it is a rarety

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Very good video.  Everyone that plays TOR should watch it since it is so instructional, and gotta say that Pokket offers some very credible advice.

• KryalisKryalis Member UncommonPosts: 30

It's worth knowing the different types of push / pull mechanics for the classes too. One of the most useful is the Sorc Extricate (life grip). While mechanically it does something similar to pass, it executes faster and can pull CC'd players. Since ball carriers are "real popular" if you wait for them to get the white bar CC immunity, then pull them somewhere safer they can usually just walk the ball across the line (out of the pit, after a knockdown usually earns some mvp votes).

You also have to be real careful if the ball carrier is a warrior/knight. As force charge has a massive range, and they can jump to you (and away from your gank squad). Which makes you look even more a tool if you let them out of the pit / onto the goal line.

In my experiance this warzone suffers some pretty extreme server lag on occasions, so it's worth trying to get a feel of the delay to better aim your knockbacks etc. As mentioned the pass chain seems to be by far the best way to win, but don't neglect the ball respawn. If you're all partying on the enemy team goal line when the ball respawns. It's gonna be a quick equaliser. In fact, i'd recommend leaving at least 1 player mid, since if you just throw the ball away (so it's not intercepted, before you get ganked) it resets to center.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Although a good guide, the intro imo whether it counts or not is far to long and music is just horrible, 

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This tutorial is a joke and so is Huttball.  BW forces everyone to be in a que for Huttball along with all the pvp warzones because BW knows there wouldn't be enough players to keep Huttball active since it is a joke. I was looking forward to the pvp in SWTOR, but I will never use Huttball.