Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Droid I Was Looking For

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Isabelle Parsley admits it: She's hooked on Star Wars: The Old Republic. In today's Player Perspectives, we examine that state of hookedness and why it's such an unusual phenomenon these days. Read on!

Yep, it’s another Star Wars: The Old Republic column; you’ve been warned. I’ll also state the obvious before I get lambasted for not producing a good review: this is not a review. It is, at best, a short compendium of my initial impressions about the game, and it’s certainly not intended to tell you much about it. There are plenty of other column inches out there with reviews, including an official one coming right here next week. Besides – you shouldn’t be lambasting, you should be playing SW:TOR.

Read more of Isabelle Parsley's Player Perspectives: The Droid I Was Looking For.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Rather good read, and I agree with you completely,  I won't be playing SWTOR for 10 years... or 5 years.. or even maybe 1 year. I'll be playing it when I want to play it, nothing more.  Theres a lot out, and a lot on the horizon that I'm looking forward to playing,  including expansionable content for SWTOR that will likely bring me back.  

I don't see a game ever holding my attention for an extended period of time... consecutively,  but if I like the game, I'll return.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I won't be playing SWTOR for 10 years... or 5 years.. or even maybe 1 year. I'll be playing it when I want to play it, nothing more.  Theres a lot out, and a lot on the horizon that I'm looking forward to playing,  including expansionable content for SWTOR that will likely bring me back.  

I don't see a game ever holding my attention for an extended period of time... consecutively,  but if I like the game, I'll return.

+1. In the end what matters is that we have fun. 3 months, 3 years, who cares?

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Another big publisher MMOG "magically changes the viewpoint from a former (longtime) skeptic. One can only imagine how much hype MMORPG.com will do for the next few weeks, €A at it again..

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by DerWotan

Another big publisher MMOG "magically changes the viewpoint from a former (longtime) skeptic. One can only imagine how much hype MMORPG.com will do for the next few weeks, €A at it again..

You've never changed your mind about anything? How's that tinfoil hat fitting today, by the way?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

These stories really start to sound more and more like these religious conversion stories.

"I was a grumpy person once, but then I found jesus christ my lord and saviour and now I'm a better person. True Story (TM)"

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

You've never changed your mind about anything? How's that tinfoil hat fitting today, by the way?

Sure I did and there is nothing wrong with that but in terms of some games (mostly from big publishers) it "magically" happens everytime and on nearly every site so...

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sure I did and there is nothing wrong with that but in terms of some games (mostly from big publishers) it "magically" happens everytime and on nearly every site so...

Not true. I chalk it up to being OVERLY skeptical and finding yourself pleasantly surprised. I know I have been surprised at how much I like SWTOR. Is it the best MMO since the invention of sliced bread? Hardly. But it's stretched the genre with the voiced quest system and, for that, I find it compelling right now. I'm unsure whether or not it'll be enough 3 months down the line and through all sorts of alts but, for today, it's all good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Meh, it's generic anticorporate rhetoric with blanket marketing paranoia...in other words, jaded gamer reflex.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

TOR is doing exactly what I predicted it would do months ago. They still ahve yet to win me over and every day they wait to hot fix or patch in fixes to multiple issues people are reporting I am being proven correct.

It does take a pair to sit here and call Rift a whimpersome launch when TOR could barely pull off half the features Rift had on launch. The double standard continues it seems. Sorry, but the fan girlishness in the first few lines killed the article for me because it sets up the entire article to be completely biased and not neutral.

I love the pure irony of checking over the TOR forums and watching them rage over things Rift had on launch. Continue to hype it please.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by AdamTM

These stories really start to sound more and more like these religious conversion stories.

"I was a grumpy person once, but then I found jesus christ my lord and saviour and now I'm a better person. True Story (TM)"

LMAO...for real.

• MuntyMunty Member Posts: 6

It really seems as though recent MMO launches have been rather more whimpersome than full of bang and bluster, and it was about time a game launch changed that trend

Are you kidding?  Rift's launch was huge.  And smooth.  And look how well that game is doing now.  The server I was on, which was bristling when I started, is dead now.

TOR is Rift 2.0, which itself was WoW 2.0.  But OMG the story is awesome!!11one

Yeah let me know how awesome that story is in 3 months.

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by Munty

It really seems as though recent MMO launches have been rather more whimpersome than full of bang and bluster, and it was about time a game launch changed that trend

Are you kidding?  Rift's launch was huge.  And smooth.  And look how well that game is doing now.  The server I was on, which was bristling when I started, is dead now.

No one will have to let you know because you'll still be obsessively following a game you apparently don't play and/or like.

Originally posted by SBFord

-
     --

Not true. I chalk it up to being OVERLY skeptical and finding yourself pleasantly surprised. I know I have been surprised at how much I like SWTOR. Is it the best MMO since the invention of sliced bread? Hardly. But it's stretched the genre with the voiced quest system and, for that, I find it compelling right now. I'm unsure whether or not it'll be enough 3 months down the line and through all sorts of alts but, for today, it's all good.

Like I said if thats your pov thats okay and I'M honestly happy you found a game you like. The whole hype surrounding this game is simple reminding me of WAR and all the rewards it got despite some serious concerns I really see the similarities here and shockingly again €A is involved.

Also have to agree that RIFT had one of the smoothest launches ever.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Rather good read, and I agree with you completely,  I won't be playing SWTOR for 10 years... or 5 years.. or even maybe 1 year. I'll be playing it when I want to play it, nothing more.  Theres a lot out, and a lot on the horizon that I'm looking forward to playing,  including expansionable content for SWTOR that will likely bring me back.  

I'd agree if there wasn't sub :/

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I agree with the OP's article as I to didn't think I would like a game with a story line with voice overs.  Boy was I wrong lol.  I also agree with her assessment on I don't know if the game will hold me long term, but quess what I couldn't care less about long term as long as it is fun for me now.  When it ceases to be fun I'll quit and play something else.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Munty

Really did you see the other servers you could transfers too? If WoW offered free transfers it would clear out atleast 50 servers over night and if they just removed the all the god awful low pop servers  that have been sitting there for years.

{mod edit}

I am ok with TOR succeeding, but for god sakes stop trying to do it on Rifts grave.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I felt exactly the same way about the game which is why I didn't buy it. A game five years in the making, made by one of the top RPG making companies in the world, and with Bioware's own admission a truly hurculean budget, and with all that at we get a game that may keep us entertained for a few months.

All I've got to say to that, if true, is I think Bioware would have been better off making this game a Single Player RPG with some good co-op play mechanics for maybe up to four players ( I think Isabelle nailed it when she said this game seems perfect for duoing.) The manufacture time would have been less and the budget would have been lower allowing for Bioware to get a quicker return on their investment. Plus in the time we have been waiting we could most likely had both this first game and a sequel.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Tardcore

I felt exactly the same way about the game which is why I didn't buy it. A game five years in the making, made by one of the top RPG making companies in the world, and with Bioware's own admission a truly hurculean budget, and with all that at we get a game that may keep us entertained for a few months.

All I've got to say to that, if true, is I think Bioware would have been better off making this game a Single Player RPG with some good co-op play mechanics for maybe up to four players ( I think Isabelle nailed it when she said this game seems perfect for duoing.) The manufacture time would have been less and the budget would have been lower allowing for Bioware to get a quicker return on their investment. Plus in the time we have been waiting we could most likely had both this first game and a sequel.

And instead you'll just be complaining about games on forums just like every other MMO-burnout around here...

I am so glad I am able to enjoy games for what they are. It must really suck to see nothing but negatives in everything. I hope you find that perfect MMO that entertains you for years and years, but somehow I doubt you will. I suspect many of you have over-inflated expectations that no game will EVER be able to meet.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I found this to be a well-written and insightful article. Well done.

I agree with most of the points, and while I continue to find little gaps in game functionality that "should" have been added for release, I'm optimistic that the development teams will be responsive to player requests as long as they don't break the existing experience.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Nice to see others enjoying the game like me and friends are.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I admit i tried it and liked it. Good game well made i had fun before release. it had so much to do you would be busy seeing it all and then even then, you could alt to see a new story.

But i'm jaded guys. I don't to have many postive things to say about TOR, but i can say i see another fest and long journey that ends with me yet years older and hoping devs add something to make me stop hating i can't regain that feeling of true freedom another starwars MMO gave me once.

it's good game I wish them the best. but like any MMO it lacks freedom of choice and will suffer many years of revolt like Wow and other MMOs becuase bottom line is, people want to be off the rails. those that don't mind dev built boxed in designs will love it.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

The game is not bad at all, it's fun, and the voice thing is cool. But I have to say, I still miss the good old SWG, that was an amazing game.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The story and voice over are cool.  And it's Star Wars!  But the best part is after all these years, one by one my old SWG guildies from the good old days are logging on and joining our new guild.  It's great!

Been playing around with the space game.  It's a fun minigame.  Started doing the flashpoints the other day and some of them are pretty challenging.  Also started working on pvp.  Lot of stun, stun, stun.  Irritating. But if you want to use me for a punching bag for a few rounds so I can get a new robe.....suuuuuure, why not, lol.

If they added nothing to the game I could see playing for several months before getting bored.  If they start adding stuff like they said they would, I could imagine playing longer.  The fact that my old buddies are playing is a big factor too, now that we are back together again.  SWTOR is not SWG, but in some ways seeing being reunited is cathartic.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    First time I've been glued to a game since darkfall online launched I love it