Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played a single minute of the NGE

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by superniceguy

Here as said by PEX, and you even knew about it. It does not matter whether you or I consider it to be a MMO, but if they do not categorise it as a MMO, then it is not a MMO and it is quite safe, and even if that is not the case, then the game are so different, there could many other reasons why it is safe. But this argument has gotten really silly indeed, as my point is that SWG and SWTOR can not co-exsit, CWA is irrelevant

If SWG gets shut down on 4 full HEAVY servers, then so should CWA. If CWA does not get shut down, then it was not population levels that shut down SWG.

No.

I mean PROOF of your claim that there can't be 2 Star Wars MMO's. Like I said, you have none. You'll NEVER have proof to back up that assertion because it's FALSE! All I ask is that you refrain from spreading dishonesty and lies as truth.

Listen...they could claim to have had 4 "full" servers, but you and I both know that it was a FRACTION of what it once was. Given the fact that SWTOR was going to take 90% of the remaining players, I assure you, there wouldn't be enough for ONE 'full" server today if the game had lived. It was a business decision and one of the few smart ones SOE made.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Can I just take this opportunity to throw in this quote for the hell of it.

"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts. "There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."
  • MystDrgonMystDrgon Member Posts: 29

Started playing with the launch, but never had a jedi. Ordered the expansion, and then when I was finally grinding out the jedi, poof, couldn't grind jedi anymore.  3 days later the expansion arrived, at the same time as the NGE.  I canceled my sub, returned the expansion, and began my wow career.  Sure do miss those pre-cu times.  The CU had its pros and cons, but I felt the game was coming together.  So sad.  Oh, and since, I have boycotted anything Sony, game related or not, and its subsidaries.  Bait n switch tatics tend not to settle well with an informed consumer.

Playing: Nothing (nothing worth playing)
    Favorite: SWG (pre NGE, CU)
    Played: WoW, Eve, DAoC, Warhamer, AoC, SWG, Earth & Beyond
    Hope: GW2 maybe

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by TUX426

Here as said by PEX, and you even knew about it. It does not matter whether you or I consider it to be a MMO, but if they do not categorise it as a MMO, then it is not a MMO and it is quite safe, and even if that is not the case, then the game are so different, there could many other reasons why it is safe. But this argument has gotten really silly indeed, as my point is that SWG and SWTOR can not co-exsit, CWA is irrelevant

If SWG gets shut down on 4 full HEAVY servers, then so should CWA. If CWA does not get shut down, then it was not population levels that shut down SWG.

No.

I mean PROOF of your claim that there can't be 2 Star Wars MMO's. Like I said, you have none. You'll NEVER have proof to back up that assertion because it's FALSE! All I ask is that you refrain from spreading dishonesty and lies as truth.

Listen...they could claim to have had 4 "full" servers, but you and I both know that it was a FRACTION of what it once was. Given the fact that SWTOR was going to take 90% of the remaining players, I assure you, there wouldn't be enough for ONE 'full" server today if the game had lived. It was a business decision and one of the few smart ones SOE made.

The entire idea of there only being one Star Wars MMO came from a post that was made by a forum mod, who has no connection to LucasArts other than having a server admin give him the ability to be a moderator on that forum, who made a post on the LucasArts forum making that claim.  Nobody from LucasArts has had anything to do with the forums on their site for several years, nor has anyone from LucasArts, SOE, or EA ever made such a claim.  In fact, people from all those companies have made the exact opposite claim when TOR was announced.

Besides, if the whole Highlander "There can be only one!" Star Wars MMO conspiracy theory was true, wouldn't that mean that the folks at poor innocent SOE were lying for the past few years in an attempt to get players to continue paying subscription fees and for virtual card packs (to try and get the loot card items) for a product they knew was going to be shutting down?  Kinda like the time employees of the same poor innocent company, SOE, were promoting items and features contained in their new expansion, while knowing that said items and features would be removed from the game within two weeks of the expansion's release?

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by RefMinor

"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts. "There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."

Nancy McIntyre was never the senior director of SWG, or any other LEC game.  She was the Vice President of Marketing at LEC, who was in charge of the advertising effort that came along with the NGE (there were even TV ads for the starter kit pack).  She had nothing to do with the development of SWG.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by RefMinor

Nancy McIntyre was never the senior director of SWG, or any other LEC game.  She was the Vice President of Marketing at LEC, who was in charge of the advertising effort that came along with the NGE (there were even TV ads for the starter kit pack).  She had nothing to do with the development of SWG.

Lol, is that what you took from that quote!!
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

No.

I will only stop when you stop spreading lies that it is FALSE, as I could be right, there is no proof either to state that my opinion is false.

From all the evidence, I would bet all my money that it is true, that both SWG and SWTOR can not co-exist

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

No.

I will only stop when you stop spreading lies that it is FALSE, as I could be right, there is no proof either to state that my opinion is false.

From all the evidence, I would bet all my money that it is true, that both SWG and SWTOR can not co-exist

TUX has supplied the quote from Smedley himself that this was an $OE decision to not negotiate renewing the license for SWG. Given how much SWG had died off, I actually agree with Smedley's decision. You choose not to take that comment as 'proof''. I have seen no official comment or qoute that states there was a decision that two SW MMO's games could not co-exist so SWG had to go.  In the end it really doesn't matter.....SWG is no more and blaming LA won't change that reality.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

No.

Are you F'ING KIDDING ME?

So...you can say whatever you like, like...you can shoot lasers out ur butt at babies, but because I can't DISprove it, you will continue to claim it's real?!  LMFAO!!!! OK...now I get it lol. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Kazara

No.

TUX has supplied the quote from Smedley himself that this was an $OE decision to not negotiate renewing the license for SWG. Given how much SWG had died off, I actually agree with Smedley's decision. You choose not to take that comment as 'proof''. I have seen no official comment or qoute that states there was a decision that two SW MMO's games could not co-exist so SWG had to go.  In the end it really doesn't matter.....SWG is no more and blaming LA won't change that reality.

I have no doubt that LA would have renewed the license if SOE had been willing to pay the price.  But I also have little doubt that LA made the price unatractive to SOE and wasn't willing to "discount" the brand just because the game wasn't doing well.  Having SW:TOR right around the courner if anything gave them the confidence to stick to a inflated value on the brand.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I went back and played it. was sad to see so many thing's i worked for pre-cu not function in the new system. crafting and JTL still felt good. but the rest felt strange. it was good to see it close down for good. it felt like some of the hate i had for SOE went with it. sad that i can't get my hands on the source code and hire a team to start making a themepark killer. I kid it was ok but empty.

Originally posted by udon

No.

I have no doubt that LA would have renewed the license if SOE had been willing to pay the price.  But I also have little doubt that LA made the price unatractive to SOE and wasn't willing to "discount" the brand just because the game wasn't doing well.  Having SW:TOR right around the courner if anything gave them the confidence to stick to a inflated value on the brand.

It is hard to say if the licensing fee was increased or not since Smedley never entered into negotiations with LA.  I do agree that LA probably wouldn't give $OE any price break - why should it? To appease the handful of devoted SWG players left? If SWG was a truy successful MMO that turned a good profit, Smedley would have entered into negotiations. He is all about $$$$. . Obviously Smedley realized SWG wasn't worth the licensing fee and decided to close the game. 

Originally posted by udon

No.

It is hard to say if the licensing fee was increased or not since Smedley never entered into negotiations with LA.  I do agree that LA probably wouldn't give $OE any price break - why should it? To appease the handful of devoted SWG players left? If SWG was a truy successful MMO that turned a good profit, Smedley would have entered into negotiations. He is all about $$$$. . Obviously Smedley realized SWG wasn't worth the licensing fee and decided to close the game. 

What Smedley has said does not state whether it was SOE or LA that closed it, it was a mutual decision between the two. Smedley did say that if it was not for the licence he would not have closed down SWG, as it was still turning a profit.

Considering SWG ended on Dec 15th, and SWTOR has been in development for 3+ years, and then suddenly releases officially straight after SWG closes, late dec making it difficult for the game and time cards to be in stock at retailers - no MMO compamy would release a game at around that date, it is clear that SWG gets closed because of SWTOR and nothing else. Also SWG contract ends in 2012 and not on Jan 1st, and for them to close the game early and not grab some more $$$ just does not make sense. Another thing that does not make sense is that SOE gives a whopping 6 months notice for its closure, instead of 2-3 months. If SOE were purely behind this and had no influence from LA or EA then it would have gotten only 2-3 months notice instead of 6. No one would have complained if they gave 2 or 3 months notice, as that time frame would have been expected. Also by giving 6 months notice, SOE then lost out on about 3-4 months of subs from people, which they had every right to claim

Too many factors don't make sense for it to be closed just because it was dying / dead.

No.

So...you can say whatever you like, like...you can shoot lasers out ur butt at babies, but because I can't DISprove it, you will continue to claim it's real?!  LMFAO!!!! OK...now I get it lol. 

No. Now that is just silly. I find it hard to take you seriously when you respond  like that, and especially when you kept saying CWA is a MMO, when you knew all along SOE were not regarding it as MMO.

I am not the only one has said that SWG and SWTOR can not co-exist due to a contract, there are loads of others who have come to this conclusion as well, as it just makes sense.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

No.

No. Now that is just silly. I find it hard to take you seriously when you respond  like that. I am not the only one has said that SWG and SWTOR can not co-exist due to a contract, there are loads of others who have come to this conclusion as well, as it just makes sense.

BS, its not like any of us play more than one game here.   Apples and oranges.   But hey the facts are the facts, SOE planned this at least in 2007, thats why they put it on lifesupport and pretty much stopped development.    The only development it saw was from using old development, they didnt even have artists on SWG for years.   

It was going to die anyways from SOE and its lack of giving a F.

I doubt any profit that SWG was turning could overcome the re-licensing cost,  I am sure part of the re-licensing would have also directed a certain amount resources be dedicated to SWG (development), which would cost $OE even more $$$$.  TOR would have decimated the very small population SWG had left, which would have made SWG even more costly.  Again, there is no evidence to support that EA/LA decided that two Star Wars MMO's couldn't exist. It is just sheer speculation. Smedley felt it was time to close SWG and he made a sound financial decision. SWG just was no longer worth keeping open. 

I doubt any profit that SWG was turning could overcome the re-licensing cost,  I am sure part of the re-licensing would have also directed a certain amount resources be dedicated to SWG (development), which would cost $OE even more $$$$.  TOR would have decimated the very small population SWG had left, which would have made SWG even more costly.  Again, there is no evidence to support that EA/LA decided that two Star Wars MMO's couldn't exist. It is just sheer speculation. Smedley felt it was time to close SWG and he made a sound financial decision. SWG just was no longer worth keeping open. 

I have stated most of the evidence in the above post, mainly the fact that Smedley/SOE alone would simply not give 6 months notice, but only a max of 3 months, and that SWG shuts down right before SWTOR launches  -Too much of a coincidence.

Also with the state of SWTOR I do not see many SWG fans ditching it for SWTOR, as all the stuff that SWG does great is not in SWTOR. Plus SWG could have gotten more attention through SWTOR. Before SWTOR released it could have been thought that people would ditch SWG for it, but now it is here I do not think people would have, no more than they would for Mass Effect or Dragon Age. SWTOR in its current state is great for a single player KOTOR/ Mass Effect game but with multiplayer options like Mass Effect 3 will have, but complete crap for a P2P MMO.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

It's pretty clear that SWG was shut down because of TOR. In june 2011, prior to the shutdown announcement, the game was experience a relative population boom - the TCG was bringing in plenty and the game was on a good track - especially with atmoshpheric flight just a little bit down the line.

There's no way it would have stayed open as long as it did if it wasn't making some money. LA were simply selfish and refused to renew the license. SOE would not have let it shutdown if it had a choice - they've clearly stated they never want to shut down MMOs if it isnt absolutely necessary, hence why games like EQ1 are still going.

I have stated most of the evidence in the above post, mainly the fact that Smedley/SOE alone would simply not give 6 months notice, but only a max of 3 months, and that SWG shuts down right before SWTOR launches  -Too much of a coincidence.

Also with the state of SWTOR I do not see many SWG fans ditching it for SWTOR, as all the stuff that SWG does great is not in SWTOR. Plus SWG could have gotten more attention through SWTOR. Before SWTOR released it could have been thought that people would ditch SWG for it, but now it is here I do not think people would have, no more than they would for Mass Effect or Dragon Age. SWTOR in its current state is great for a single player KOTOR/ Mass Effect game but with multiplayer options like Mass Effect 3 will have, but complete crap for a P2P MMO.

Smedley may have had an idea of the general release date of SWTOR and made the sound financial decision to close the game and give players 6 montths notice. Sure, he could have strung what players were left longer with a 3 month notice, but decided not to. You see it as some sort of coincidence, I see it as a part of Smedley's smart busines decision to close the game.

SWG was never any threat to SWTOR, but there is little doubt that many of the SWG players left were also Star Wars fans who would have decided to 'ditch' SWG to play SWTOR. SWG would not have received any significant, beneficial attention from SWTOR. The truth is, the things that SWG did great were not enough to attract and retain players. Many of the wonderful features that SWG had were removed, marginalized or nerfed due to the NGE. The closed servers, the continued hemorrhaging of players, the many dead servers and the final decision to close the game attest to the story of fail SWG was.

Keeping SWG open for the few players left was not a profitable move with the release of SWTOR and Smedley knew it.  He had stated long ago the sun setting SWG with the release of SWTOR was a possibility. I am actually surprised SWG has lasted as long as it did given the sorry state it was in.

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

(and somwewhat proud of it)

who else didn't touched that POS $OE thought at us that was NGE ?

I am a pure PRE - NGE'r and my respect goes to pure PRE CU 'r  who even didn't touched and resisted even the CU.

That is a shame, you missed out big time. You can not call it a POS if you never played it, and the NGE ended up being awesome in the end. To base an opinion off of others is nothing to do be proud of.

As for the sig - you never won, as  both SW MMOs could not run side by side, and SWTOR won by default. If SWG stayed active and then bombed with the release of SWTOR and then closed then you would have won, but if SWG did not close I reckon people would have left SWTOR and started playing SWG, killing SWTOR. Most posts I see on the official forums is from people negatively criticising SWTOR, even ones who did not like/play SWG. I do not see people playing SWTOR much after 6 months, if that.

SWTOR will be great and all and give a better experiemnce than SWG, but will be short lived. SWGs systems kept you hooked for eternity. I could never see myself quitting SWG, even after playing it solidly from July 2003. I can not see myself playing SWTOR after a few months

Also SOE is not solely responsible for the NGE, it was LA who are the main culprits, as they were the ones who agreed on it. SW is LAs IP and baby, not SOEs. If SOE solely were responsible, then LA would have sued SOE and/or pulled the SW licence from SOE and SWG would have shut down in 2006 or 2007.

If you avoided SWG NGE then you will need to avoid SWTOR as well.

Sooooo not true.  I was there for the crap that was the nge.  First it had to get better than it launched, the launch of the nge was a joke, the game was literally crap for a good six months post nge.  I stuck it out even though I hated it mostly to stay in touch with friends but at that point even I had enough.  The nge was pure crap and to say that if you didn't like the nge you won't like swtor is a joke as well.  I HATED the nge it was a slapdash attempt by soe to try to pull the wow crowd to a sandbox and somehow fit a themepark on top of said sandbox.  Swtor is pure bioware to the core, if you liked knights of the old republic it is worth a shot as it was built from the ground up to be the game it is.

The nge ruined everything that I loved about swg and the reason was simple it took all the sandbox elements and marginalize them to the point they didn't matter.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Well I was pretty pissed that the work I'd done on my char was about to be thrown out, but in the interest of being open-minded I waited until the NGE launched to see for myself. I cancelled when I saw the 'iconic' character selection screen.

Originally posted by Lowcaian

Said it before and say it again. You can not compare NGE 2005 and NGE 2011. Those who didn't bother checking the facts for themselves missed out.

Really?  I checked back periodically from when I quite 6 months into the NGE( I was a pre-cu vet fyi) all the way to a late 2010 and though the nge got better relative to the crap they released upon the nge launch but it was still so so bad.  Again they tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and it bombed and the sub numbers back that statement totally.

Smedley may have had an idea of the general release date of SWTOR and made the sound financial decision to close the game and give players 6 montths notice. Sure, he could have strung what players were left longer with a 3 month notice, but decided not to. You see it as some sort of coincidence, I see it as a part of Smedley's smart busines decision to close the game.

SWG was never any threat to SWTOR, but there is little doubt that many of the SWG players left were also Star Wars fans who would have decided to 'ditch' SWG to play SWTOR. SWG would not have received any significant, beneficial attention from SWTOR. The truth is, the things that SWG did great were not enough to attract and retain players. Many of the wonderful features that SWG had were removed, marginalized or nerfed due to the NGE. The closed servers, the continued hemorrhaging of players, the many dead servers and the final decision to close the game attest to the story of fail SWG was.

Keeping SWG open for the few players left was not a profitable move with the release of SWTOR and Smedley knew it.  He had stated long ago the sun setting SWG with the release of SWTOR was a possibility. I am actually surprised SWG has lasted as long as it did given the sorry state it was in.

It still makes no sense and not smart at all. as people quit the game when he announced the closure, and so lost out on a lot of subs, as well has how ever months were left in 2012 of the contract he had to run SWG. If he only gave 3 months notice no one would have complained. The fact of the matter is the game was highly populated, and had more population than what DCUO has now. Shutting the game down with that many people vs not shutting down Vanguard with zero people makes no sense

The only thing that makes sense was due to the contract stating SWG and SWTOR could not co-exist and EA had the licence.

SWG was a threat to SWTOR, especially now it has been released, and even though the features in the NGE were dumbed down they still existed. They do not exist AT ALL in SWTOR, so what is there then to attract people to go to SWTOR? Nothing. No player cities, No Beast Master/CH/BE, further dumbed down of the crafting, dumbed down space, lifeless planets = NGE is better than SWTOR. EA knew that the game would not compare to SWG and that people would go back to SWG, so to secure people stick to SWTOR, they then get exclusivity to the SW licence

SWG was not in a sorry state at all when they announced its closure.

It still makes no sense and not smart at all. as people quit the game when he announced the closure, and so lost out on a lot of subs, as well has how ever months were left in 2012 of the contract he had to run SWG. If he only gave 3 months notice no one would have complained. The fact of the matter is the game was highly populated, and had more population than what DCUO has now. Shutting the game down with that many people vs not shutting down Vanguard with zero people makes no sense

The only thing that makes sense was due to the contract stating SWG and SWTOR could not co-exist and EA had the licence.

SWG was a threat to SWTOR, especially now it has been released, and even though the features in the NGE were dumbed down they still existed. They do not exist AT ALL in SWTOR, so what is there then to attract people to go to SWTOR? Nothing. No player cities, No Beast Master, further dumbed down of the crafting, dumbed down space, lifeless planets = NGE is better than SWTOR. EA knew that the game would not compare to SWG and that people would go back to SWG, so to secure people stick to SWTOR, they then get exclusivity to the SW licence

in your opionion it wasn't in a sorry state but again when you have basically 1 server with any population and a customer base that had shrunk down to 20k the massses had long spoken.

Originally posted by treysmooth

SWG was a threat to SWTOR, especially now it has been released, and even though the features in the NGE were dumbed down they still existed. They do not exist AT ALL in SWTOR, so what is there then to attract people to go to SWTOR? Nothing. No player cities, No Beast Master, further dumbed down of the crafting, dumbed down space, lifeless planets = NGE is better than SWTOR. EA knew that the game would not compare to SWG and that people would go back to SWG, so to secure people stick to SWTOR, they then get exclusivity to the SW licence

in your opionion it wasn't in a sorry state but again when you have basically 1 server with any population and a customer base that had shrunk down to 20k the massses had long spoken.

Not my opinion that is fact. Considering it was doing better than DCUO, and far better than Vanguard and other MMOs, and with its history,  it was quite popular indeed.  There were 4 full heavy servers, and the rest light-medium when they announced the closure. Vanguard has 2 servers, and has not lifted off light for ages, and was on Light when SWG got its server closure announcement.

Only if went down to 4 servers, and they were mostly light, then it would be in a sorry state, but at least that it is one good thing with SWG closing when it did. SWG went out on a high