Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Trailers are a lie.

2»

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Well, while I really like the TOR CGI trailers, I have to agree that they're basically a lie. Some people that don't know the first thing about videogames, might be awed by that and buy the game as a gift based on that "awesomeness". It's a lie, the informed won't fall for it, but others might. Imagine a CGI like the "Deceived trailer" airing on TV as an ad for TOR, what percentage of people watching TV will think something like "OMG, that awesome. Isn't it amazing what they can do with videogames these days?"?

imageimage
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Ouriel

*snip

They can't make the games look exactly like the trailer because we can't afford for a technology like the big game studios have. The trailers are Computer-Generated Images and they are rendered as a movie. It takes a lot of processing power to render, whilst, if some game studios made a game like that, we would barely reach 1 FPS because the computer will need to render those images into 3D and that's why, we can't have games to look exactly like the trailers.

The trailer is used as a prelude on what will/might happen within the game.

But they can make the trailer look like the game and NOT lie. They simply prefer to lie with a CGI movie that often has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay in any way. That raises false expectations, period. The lie because they want to lie, simple. But I guess some people would just call it advertising, making your product look better than it is.

imageimage
  • psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by mastersomrat

Anyone else believe Dev's should be forced into useing ingame footage for trailers?  Really, why make like a movie when they and most everyone knows they looking nother like this.  I's actually like to see ingame material in these trailers.  I know some Dev's actually do this and I give them two thumbs up for this.  I think a  good rule of thumb is if the dev's need to over hype their game with fake footage, the the game itself most likely will fail.

the problem is if they did make the game to look like the trailer, you can't afford the computer to play their game:)

though I WAS hoping that SWtOR looked MORE like mass effect/dragon age and ALOT less like WoW/anarchy online.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by mastersomrat

Anyone else believe Dev's should be forced into useing ingame footage for trailers?  Really, why make like a movie when they and most everyone knows they looking nother like this.  I's actually like to see ingame material in these trailers.  I know some Dev's actually do this and I give them two thumbs up for this.  I think a  good rule of thumb is if the dev's need to over hype their game with fake footage, the the game itself most likely will fail.

Welcome to marketing 101...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by kakasaki

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by kakasaki

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I donno man. $500 shipping and handling for that newsletter is pretty desperate :D
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Puremallace

100% agree. Rift uses in game footage for most of their trailers.

Ye that's what a lot (all?) of game companies was doing these last few years, for that exact reason, but i guess some don't mind doing steps backward for easy and quick cashs.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I would extend this gripe to box art and internet splash ads, which often feature things that have precious little to do with the game.

It seems to be a favourite ploy of especially F2P games to prominently display a perfectly airbrushed beatiful female in skimpy armour as part of their internet ad campaigns :D

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I would extend this gripe to box art and internet splash ads, which often feature things that have precious little to do with the game.

It seems to be a favourite ploy of especially F2P games to prominently display a perfectly airbrushed beatiful female in skimpy armour as part of their internet ad campaigns :D

That wouldn't make me buy the game, but I'd probably download the free wallpapers :)