Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Trailers are a lie.

mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Anyone else believe Dev's should be forced into useing ingame footage for trailers?  Really, why make like a movie when they and most everyone knows they looking nother like this.  I's actually like to see ingame material in these trailers.  I know some Dev's actually do this and I give them two thumbs up for this.  I think a  good rule of thumb is if the dev's need to over hype their game with fake footage, the the game itself most likely will fail.

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

100% agree. Rift uses in game footage for most of their trailers.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by mastersomrat

Anyone else believe Dev's should be forced into useing ingame footage for trailers?  Really, why make like a movie when they and most everyone knows they looking nother like this.  I's actually like to see ingame material in these trailers.  I know some Dev's actually do this and I give them two thumbs up for this.  I think a  good rule of thumb is if the dev's need to over hype their game with fake footage, the the game itself most likely will fail.

The purpose of trailers and teasers is usually to reveal story or put gameplay in context. Their purpose isn't to show off gameplay - that's what gameplay videos are for.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

You are a step closer to enlightenment my friend.

ITS ALL A LIE

Anything that is created in the context of profit, will always be manipulated to bias revenue.

If you take a look around the great country of USA, you will see these dynamics are everywhere, from governments to corporations. Of course video games are not sacred, hahaha  nothing is, not even reality.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

You're all insane. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by Loktofeit

OMG, thank you. The last thing Id want to be in this world is sane. Just look at the "norml" people on TV

*edit*  I forgot :)

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

That was supposed to be an insult, right?  Wheeeeeeee!!!!

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

even in game footage can be a fallacy. I learned this one the hard way with Age of Conan in tortage. Anyone else who played the game can attest to that.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I actually enjoy those CGI trailers, now if a studio were never to release any actual gameplay footage I would be mad but I don't think thats ever been the case. A good trailer can sell copies for you, just look at dead island...I don't think anybody was expecting the game to be like it was after the CGI trailer which made the game look like it was some sort of Bioware esque zombie game. 

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXBT_Ln364&feature=fvst

...because everytime someone says something like that, the one line from this song gets stuck in my head haha.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

Now for the on-topic reply, cause I actually have something to add to this topic other than Ax7 videos:

Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about someone complaining about how they didn't want trailers with in game graphics? They wanted striclty CGI trailers. That was met with super amounts of backlash. My point is, either way, people will complain about stuff. 

My preference would be to have in game graphics in the trailers and teasers, that way I know what I'm getting into. Even so, sometimes the graphics in the trailers aren't as good as they are on my individual PC, or visa versa. Sometimes the graphics can look underwhelming in the trailers and look fantastic on my computer...that's usually a bit more rare though.

You can have  a game with fantastic graphics in the trailer but until you get it on your computer, you really don't know..so maybe it is better that they don't have the graphics because either way you can end up disappointed.

It really comes down to everyone's personal preferences though. If the in-game graphics are integrated well then I like watching it. I also like watching some CGI trailers too, but definitely prefer tne good in-game graphics trailers. So I guess I'm pretty neutral about it..it all really depends on my mood.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

It depends upon the purpose of the video. For example, I like old-school Final Fantasy CGI videos. On the other hand, I also liked Skyrim's tweaked in-game trailer. It really depends if you want to showcase a narrative or various gameplay clips.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Personally, I really enjoy the game trailers.  It is like a mini movie.

My favorite one is Warhammer Online.  This one had some good humor in it.

The World of Warcraft ones are good, except the last released one...didnt like that one.  Looked like they rushed it or something.

Originally posted by Warmaker

That was supposed to be an insult, right?  Wheeeeeeee!!!!

Actually, no. Did you really take it that way?

We're talking about lies, manipulation, and enlightenment as applied to the revenue bias of the US government, corporations and video game trailers. I thought it was amusing.

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

I hate cinematic trailers and will generally click off it if I realize it's a cinematic and not a gameplay. 

I honestly don't get the point in cinematic trailers at all.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by Donev

I hate cinematic trailers and will generally click off it if I realize it's a cinematic and not a gameplay. 

Pretty much this, It would be like watching a trailer about the movie... But instead of showing shots of the movie they show some CGI crap that doesn't follow the story line...or even tell you who's playing

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• kanade334kanade334 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Ananamoose

Now for the on-topic reply, cause I actually have something to add to this topic other than Ax7 videos:

Wasn't there a thread not too long ago about someone complaining about how they didn't want trailers with in game graphics? They wanted striclty CGI trailers. That was met with super amounts of backlash. My point is, either way, people will complain about stuff. 

My preference would be to have in game graphics in the trailers and teasers, that way I know what I'm getting into. Even so, sometimes the graphics in the trailers aren't as good as they are on my individual PC, or visa versa. Sometimes the graphics can look underwhelming in the trailers and look fantastic on my computer...that's usually a bit more rare though.

You can have  a game with fantastic graphics in the trailer but until you get it on your computer, you really don't know..so maybe it is better that they don't have the graphics because either way you can end up disappointed.

It really comes down to everyone's personal preferences though. If the in-game graphics are integrated well then I like watching it. I also like watching some CGI trailers too, but definitely prefer tne good in-game graphics trailers. So I guess I'm pretty neutral about it..it all really depends on my mood.

all i have to say is that tarailers give false ilusions they make the trailer look al Loverly-dovely with awesome graphics and  smoth gameplay with no laggs or glitches and make the story all perfect, when the reality is your a stickman walking across a road with really poor graphics, if u know what i mean anyway i must say i agree , people will always complain about trailers and games and i agree with this one to,  why not make a Game that has equal graphics story and intresting features that are at least 80% true to the trailer? noone would complain about the trailer being false xP 

Originally posted by kanade334

all i have to say is that tarailers give false ilusions they make the trailer look al Loverly-dovely with awesome graphics and  smoth gameplay with no laggs or glitches and make the story all perfect, when the reality is your a stickman walking across a road with really poor graphics, if u know what i mean anyway i must say i agree , people will always complain about trailers and games and i agree with this one to,  why not make a Game that has equal graphics story and intresting features that are at least 80% true to the trailer? noone would complain about the trailer being false xP 

They do make those. They are called gameplay trailers.

The issue is that cinetic trailers or even polished gameplay trailers are far more interesting and entertaining that footage of gameplay. Anyone who has been in a major battle in WOW, EVE, Shadowbane, etc knows they can get rather epic and they can probably tell everything that's going on in a PVP video. Two things, though:

1) What makes that a cool exciting battle is your personal investment. WIthout that investment, most MMO PVP videos look boring

2) A potential player (the target audience of most trailers) hasn't played the game so they have no clue what is going on there.

A dev could add some commentators and UI stuff to explain everything, however the more elaborate the narration and the more extensive the overlays, the more you drift away from your actual gameplay. The point being, most comapnies make both, but the cinematics seemmore common since more people like them.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

CGI trailers set the mood and tone for the game.

For example, if you ever read the Constantine comics this trailer will make you buy TSW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unTo5scaQzc&feature=relmfu

Dear god do i hope they include the "light your fag with magic" skill in that game.

Also cancer.

Originally posted by veggie_eater

The purpose of trailers and teasers is usually to reveal story or put gameplay in context. Their purpose isn't to show off gameplay - that's what gameplay videos are for.

Come on dude! They lure people to think the game play, the animations and the combat is really like on those third-party made trailers. Do not be the devils advocate on me now. IF they were honest about it that should be a tag saying "Actually Gameplay graphics, combat and animations are different in game"  or something like that.

They do. They label them as cinematic trailers.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Donev

+1

I used to love them. The older I get the more I dislike them. I'd rather not use the word hate.

In my case I think it's because we have the technology nowadays to produce amazing looking trailers just by using in-game graphics. I want the devs to show that off.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392

Personally I won't buy any game without seeing the actual gameplay for myself, either via youtube or from playing in beta.

So, they can make whatever trailers they like for me. It is only fanboys and people with too much money who will buy a game based purely on the trailer.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Because game devs know that we are intelligent enough to know the obvious? i didn't complain when i used AXE and angels didn't fall from sky and i didn't turn into a chocolate.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

There are really three types of trailers.

1. Cinematic trailer. Made with completely different tools than the game graphics.

2. Trailer made with the game engine. Often use custom animations and/or textures. Might still be far from actual gameplay.

3. Gameplay trailer. These are actually extremely rare, because in comparison to the two above, they are pale shadows and cannot fool the customer buying the product so effectively.

Honesty doesn't sell products. Sorry, but that's the way the world is.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

How can a cinematic trailer lie to customers?

Cinematics trailers are just cool mini-movies about game lore.

Everyone knows that cinematic trailers dont show the real gameplay, so dont see wheres the "lie".

Originally posted by tom_gore

There are really three types of trailers.

1. Cinematic trailer. Made with completely different tools than the game graphics.

2. Trailer made with the game engine. Often use custom animations and/or textures. Might still be far from actual gameplay.

3. Gameplay trailer. These are actually extremely rare, because in comparison to the two above, they are pale shadows and cannot fool the customer buying the product so effectively.

Honesty doesn't sell products. Sorry, but that's the way the world is.

The second one in your list is just a means to accomplish the first and third, it's not a separate entity.

"Gameplay trailer. These are actually extremely rare..."

Can you list some of the MMOs that didn't release gameplay trailers?