Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super Monday Night Combat NDA Dropped

NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Many of you may be familiar with the DotA inspired shooter Monday Night Combat.  Well due to some severe imbalances unable to be corrected due to the core design of the game the Uber Entertainment team went back to the drawing board and came up with Super Monday Night Combat.  This is not MNC 2 by any means, but utilizes the same IP and classes as a starting point.

SMNC is much more DotA/MOBA/LoL influenced than its predecessor was.  The game playes out the same way a LoL match would only it's in a fully 3D third person shooter environment.  Push bots/creeps down lanes, destroy turrets, push into enemy base, and destroy.  Level up within matches and persistant leveling (like Summoner level) as well.  There's an equivilant of rune pages in this case called endorsements.

Classes/Champions in this case named Pros are present in the game.  Currently there are 13 of which approximately 5 are available each week in the free rotation.  Classes consist of Enforcer (tanky DPS), Striker (Highly mobile mid range DPS), Sharpshooter (limited mobility, long range DPS), Commando (highly mobile melee DPS/support), and Defender (healer/support).  Like LoL each character features three unique skills that can be leveled up during a match.  Also similar to LoL pros can be unlocked through in game currency or by buying them with RL cash.  The cash shop also features your LoL hallmarks of skins and boosts for ingame currency as well.

I've pointed out a lot of the similarities to LoL/DotA in the hopes that this would peak your interest, but the game also features a lot of unique elements as well.  For example, there's a location on the map that every 5 minutes will allow you to hit a button that will wipe all enemy creeps from the map.  This leads to huge team fights (when players actually know what's going on). 

The game does feature a steep learning curve (this is almost a new genre) and some of us have been in beta for months making for some stiff competition, play a few games before calling it quits.  I struggled a great deal in the beginning, but this title has now displaced LoL as my favorite game. 

IF YOU SIGN UP FOR BETA/INVITATIONAL YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED A SPOT WITHIN A FEW DAYS TO A WEEK.  IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS USE THE UBER FORUMS OR HIT ME UP AND I'LL TRY TO HELP YOU OUT.

Add Me on Steam: Neph - I'd love to play with you and be happy to give any pointers I can to make it easier for you to get into the flow of the game.

Videos Galore - Between all these videos there's probably no info you could be missing.

Full Game + Commentary Gunner

Full Game + Commentary Sniper

Full Game + Commentary Cheston

Full Game + Commentary Tank

Veteran Ka-Claw-pilation

Long Time Beta Players Match 1

Long Time Beta Players Match 2

Long Time Beta Players Match 3

Steam: Neph

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

bump!

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Funny, the day I sign up for this is the day I get a DotA2 beta invite. Though this seem more of my style then DotA.

Originally posted by Otakun

Funny, the day I sign up for this is the day I get a DotA2 beta invite. Though this seem more of my style then DotA.

Today they let us know that several large waves of invites would be going out in the near future.  Some with today's update I believe and even more over the holidays.  Look forward to seeing you in game!  Feel free to add me on Steam as I'm always looking for more people to play with and the game is a lot more fun when you're not just raging by yourself while trying to get into the game.

Today also brought another update and a change of the Pro rotation (6 pros instead of 5 for free this week).  Biggest feature this week is probably the addition of a Matchmaking System, changes to how health is calculated, as well as some big changes to the Tank.  Without further ado.....

Update 16 (12/22/11):

Summary

Happy Holidays from all of us at Uber Entertainment! Enjoy six free Pros this week instead of our normal five.

This week's update adds in a bit of new content. Listen to the new voices for several of our Pros. Karl and Assault also recieved a new holiday uniform. Read up on all the Pros with their new bios. And check out the new art revisions on the newly renamed "Bullet Gorge" arena.

We also did some matchmaking changes to guarantee that you can play in the region you selected, assuming there are enough players. It will also attempt to place you with players that are around your agent level.

New Rules

New Pro Rotation: Cheston, Combat Girl, Gunslinger, Karl, Veteran, Wascot - Six this week, Happy Holidays!

Altered the calculation method for health increases per level. Health increases are now a multiplier of the base health. This makes it so that health endorsements will increase the amount of health you get per level by modifying your base health.

All Pros: Defensive Passive Skill: 125/375/750 -> 50/150/300 (Compensates for new health calculation method)

Added new platforms for the game end. Pros on the winning team are placed on the platform and taunting is enabled during that sequence.

Player name plates will now show yellow levels for enemies one or two levels higher and red for three or more.

Changed Matchmaking to be strict about your region selection. If there are not enough people to play in your region, you will not find a game.

Matchmaking will attempt to place you with players around your Agent level first.

Gun Mountain / Bullet Gorge Arena

Gun Mountain renamed to Bullet Gorge

Continued art revisions.

Added floating crowd stands.

Loco Moco Arena

Added floating crowd stands.

Added new end-game platform.

Products

Added new visual effects for death bombs.

Parting Gift: Range: 768 -> 1024

Assassin

Added bio

Assault

New Uniform: Ginger Brick House

Captain Spark

Added bio

Added new Captain Spark voice

Cheston

Added bio

Added new Cheston voice

Combat Girl

Added bio

Fortify: Range Increase: 1.1/1.4/1.6/2.0 -> 1.1/1.2/1.4/1.6

Gunner

Added bio

Rocket: Speed: 750/1500/2000/3000 -> 750/1000/1500/2500

Rocket: Lock On Range: 2560/3072/3584/4096 -> 2560/2560/3072/3584

Gunslinger

Added bio

Added new Gunslinger voice

Karl

Handler: Alt Fire Damage: 105 -> 145

Handler: Alt Fire Interval: 1 -> 1.5

New Uniform: Cold As Ice

Added new Karl voice

Sniper

Added bio

Support

Added bio

Firebase: Health: 250/1000/2000 -> 60/245/490 (Compensating for new health calculation)

Tank

Rail Gun: Fire Interval: 0.9 -> 1

Rail Gun: Damage: 105 -> 55

Rail Gun: Reload Time: 1.8 -> 2

Rail Gun: Range: Full Damage/Min Damage: 2048/2560 -> 2560/3072

Jet Gun: Range: 1024 -> 640

Jet Gun: Now does full damage at any part of the flame.

Jet Gun: Alt Fire: Range adjusted to compensate for new length

Veteran

Added bio

Added new Veteran voice

Wascot

Added bio

Bug Fixes

Fixed players rejoining during a game and not having a pro.

Fixed some instances of bouncers and scramblers bringing down moneyballs.

Fixed typo in ProTip for a Karl's Junior death.

Fixed typo in ProTip for an Assault Rifle death.

The Rules Have Changed

Wanted to keep getting the word out about this awesome game in development.  Feel free to leave any personal experiences with the game here.  As always I'm playing most nights so add me on Steam if you want to know more or get some games in together.

I should emphasize that even though this continues to be beta there will be no more server wipes so any progress or unlocks you make now will be available to you permanently.

Update: As a X-Mas gift to all beta testers Uber gave out 600 Uber Pts for free.  This is enough to permanently unlock one of the most expensive pros or a variety of combinations of 2-3 other pros.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Reminds me of the days of "Bunny Hopping" in Quake

Originally posted by outfctrl

Reminds me of the days of "Bunny Hopping" in Quake

Definitely plenty of bunny hopping present as it makes enforcer classes with jet packs move a bit faster and also is the most reliable counter to grapples which mean  sure death in this game if the grappler has any friends near by.

Nice new SMNC Tutorial video c/o SMNC player Hanlo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1aEL7cazg

Despite the apparent lack of activity in this thread quite a large number of people have joined me in giving SMNC a try.  Everyone I've been in contact with so far has made it into the beta and there's been a lot of great games. 

If you have any interest in the title you can always follow my blog (First Entry), periodic articles at RTSguru.com, and as always add me on Steam (Neph) for some games.  Of course Uber Entertainment's site is the be all and end all for info about the game.

Thanks again for all the games and new people I've been able to meet - community makes games that much more fun and contrary to all the forum PvP MMORPG.com has quite a great one.

Here's last week's patch notes too for those that are interested:

Summary

Happy New Year from all of us at Uber Entertainment!

This week we are introducing a major new content feature, taunts! You can now purchase taunts and assign them to be used in game. Taunts can be used for both weapons or per weapon, so make sure you look at the weapon icons provided for each taunt. Of course, taunting in game still gives you money. More money if done after a kill and even more money if done while juiced. Enjoy!

We also focused on some bug fixes for some crashes we have been seeing and some balance fixes to get certain classes more in line with others. As always, feel free to leave us feedback on our forums.

New Rules

New free Pro rotation: Captain Spark, Assault, Support, Gunner, Tank

Added the purchasing and assigning of unique taunts for all Pros

Added US Central and Brazil regions.

In the character select, someone locking a Pro you currently have selected will now clear your selection instead of giving you a random Pro.

Stuns no longer stack. Stunning an enemy as Karl and then throwing a banana at them will result in no change from the banana.

Bot Grapples: Damage: 300 -> 250

Alt Fire Grapples: Damage: 300 -> 250

Alt Fire Throw Grapples: Damage 250 -> 200

Increased the maximum level difference for match making. Should result in really high level players finding games easier.

Death message stream now colors players based on their team.

Bullet Gorge Arena

Continued art revisions.

Bots

Bots now play an animation when stunned.

Fixed Shady bots not always jumping on the Moneyball

Assassin

New Uniform: Hippy

New Taunts: Five Finger Fillet, Stretch

Assault

Fly: Fixed being able to fly farther than intended.

Fly: Fixed fly being left on when you get charged.

New Taunts: Proud, Fear, Ha Ha, Victory

Captain Spark

New Taunt: Moneyball

Cheston

Rampage: Fixed Rampage from not doing any damage at level 1.

Rampage: Now drains faster when he is falling.

Banana: Now stuns like Karl's stun. No duration change but will break grapples and annihilator usage and will interrupt other skill usage in a future update. Now plays a different animation that is more indicative of the stun time.

Exploding Barrel: Improved the wall hit detection

New Taunts: Potassium, The Cheston

Combat Girl

Combat Kitties: Now shows a gutter icon for each Kitty.

Added new damage/kill icons for Combat Girl's damage.

New Taunts: Hi Boys, Dancin', The Girls, Fists and Elbows

Gunner

Deploy: Fixed typo in description.

Miniguns: Gunner speed multiplier while spun up: 0.6 -> 0.8

Ground Slam: Radius: 512/768/768/1024 -> 768/768/768/768

New Taunts: Luao, Shaka Brah, Maui No Ka 'Oi, Pineapple Philosophy

Gunslinger

Added new damage/kill icons for Gunslinger's damage.

New Taunt: Queen Of Triggers

Karl

Added new damage/kill icons for all Karl's damage.

New Taunts: Spin And Shake, Openly Mock, Prop Trotter

Sniper

Sniper Rifle: Headshots Health Recover Delay Debuff: 5 seconds -> 1 second

Sniper Rifle: Level 4 passive no longer grants exploding shot.

New Taunts: Blue 33, Oops, Headshot, Soft, Jerk, Make It Fair, Five Finger Fillet

Support

Air Strike: Will now damage Support's own Firebase.

Air Strike: Radius: 256/384/512/768 -> 512/512/512/512

New Taunts: Laugh, Kiss Me, Hack, Woodpecker's Profit

Heal/Hurt Gun: Fixed being able to slow allies.

Tank

Shield: Activation Range: 1536 -> 2048

Shield: Health: 700/800/1200/2000 -> 700/900/1200/2000

New Taunts: Smooth, Smooth And Open, Kick Some Tail

Veteran

Added new damage/kill icons for all of Veteran's damage.

New Taunt: Abyss

Wascot

New Uniform: Zombie

Bug Fixes

Fixed server crash when a Tank on the winning team finished the game with his shield up.

Fixed crash related to audio issues.

Fixed crash related to graphics rendering.

Fixed the skill purchase UI not going away when you get grappled.

Fixed 'dead' areas on purchasing and using jump pads along with general improvements to in-world purchasing.

Fixed malformed player data keeping a 10/10 lobby from starting a match.

Fixed Heal Guns, Regenitol and Juice from not always properly removing fire.

Fixed Cheston and Veteran from getting stuck running forward when their lunge and charge were used simultaneously.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Is this similar to Dungeon Defenders or Orcs Must Die?  It seems like it.  Seems really interesting though, might give it a try.

Edit: Oh its like dota!

Originally posted by marinrider

Is this similar to Dungeon Defenders or Orcs Must Die?  It seems like it.  Seems really interesting though, might give it a try.

Edit: Oh its like dota!

Yeah it plays out currently exactly like a LoL game basically.  There will be a new game mode in the future that focuses more on a Tower Defense style of game play.  The mode is known as Dangerzone, but we've yet to get any footage or details outside of the fact that you will be able to build and modify turrets as well as spawn different types of bot waves like in the original MNC and that the mode will require even more team work than the current Crossfire mode does.

There's nothing stopping anyone from giving the game a shot.  It is in beta now, but it's more of an open beta so first come first serve, everyone's getting in.  At launch the title will be completely F2P with monetization similar to LoL.  There will be no more wipes at this point so any progress made now and into the future is progress kept permanently.

Oh yeah, Steam Store Page for those that are interested.

Here's articles for this week. Class Breakdown (Part 2):

I'm also doing articles for each Update on RTSguru.com.  My earlier post for Update 20 is screwed up right now though.  Once it's fixed I'll post the link.  

I've got at least 6 keys up for grabs if anyone is interested.  Ideally your best bet is to add me on Steam so I can gift it through there.

Neph

New article up: http://www.fpsguru.com/article/1872/Monday-Night-Tuesdays-Product-Endorsements-of-the-Future.html.

I've got a bunch of keys up for grabs too if anyone is interested. Add me on Steam if you're interested.

Info on Products and the new Striker, Pro, Megabeth: http://www.fpsguru.com/article/1895/Monday-Night-Tuesdays-Product-System-and-Megabeth.html

As usual I have keys if anyone needs/wants one.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I really enjoyed MNC. I'll definitely be checking this out.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by dubyahite

I really enjoyed MNC. I'll definitely be checking this out.

If you need a key add me on Steam and send me a PM there or here to let me know and I'll send you one.

No articles from me for a couple weeks thx to GDC, but they'll be back leading up to PAX.  At PAX I'll have the chance to sit down for an interview with Uber and get you all the latest info.

I'm opening it up to the community to see what you might want to know about.  Are there any questions you would like me to ask? I'm trying a community developed interview format here so let me know what you want me to ask and I'll do my best to get you the answers.

I still have beta keys if you need one. If you wanna play some games hit me up below. If you're tired of scrounging the internet every day for video game news just follow my Twitter and I'll try to do it for you.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i had never heard of this title till i saw it on twitch.tv this week(part of towelliee his subscriber chose what towellie play on sunday)

and men i fell in love with this title!fps but with a heavy dose of dota in it end up with lotb of fit of uncontrolled gigle even if you try to stay serious(cause we always have 2 or 3 clown to make sure fit of laughter happen !unless you play chess!

Originally posted by drbaltazar

i had never heard of this title till i saw it on twitch.tv this week(part of towelliee his subscriber chose what towellie play on sunday)

and men i fell in love with this title!fps but with a heavy dose of dota in it end up with lotb of fit of uncontrolled gigle even if you try to stay serious(cause we always have 2 or 3 clown to make sure fit of laughter happen !unless you play chess!

Glad to hear you found out about the game!  Hope you got in and you're enjoying it.  I also like the futuristic and silly humor aspects as well.  TV shows made by robots called Meet the Meatsacks...the announcer coming to you live from a Mexican Prison.....the fact that the mascot is a fan that volunteers and is then killed by the players....there's tons to list.  

Feel free to add me for some games.  I'm sure you will also get some keys to pass out to friends if you're already accepted to the invitational.  

I'll be interviewing the Uber folks, as I already mentioned, so if you have any questions you want me to ask them, let me know.

Latest article that contains part of PAX East 2012 interview: http://www.fpsguru.com/article/2013/Monday-Night-Tuesdays-SMNC-at-PAX.html

As always add me for some games.  I have beta keys and some skins from PAX if people are interested.