Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Mind Boggling Stats

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Lowcaian

I am impressed, this game really makes you feel unique.

Yepp :) Along with the other 800k Jedis :)

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

So what is point of those number it dont say much if we look as game like AoC, WoW, Warhammer or even RIFT which have be online muhc longer the will have big number must likely it dont show more then alot of people play SWTOR atm like all new mmo the get big pike at there start before it settle down.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by sgel

Why don't they say how many players are playing?

There is always one in the bunch.  They could release 1001 stats and you would still point out some flaw.  That's all on you.

regardless of anyone's opinion of the game, you have to admit it's an elementary stat these days and one which is of more curiosity value than how many quests have been completed. it's been posed that the reason they didn't say how many accounts were active was more because it was difficult, hard to accurately number yada yada. but, if they've managed to count how many quests were completed, it can't be a hard call to say how many accounts are actively playing, is it?

i'd be more interested in figures such as average game time per player.

to me, it's not about justifying an opinion for the game, but general curiosity. the number of players doesn't make it a "good" game. just a popular one. you could almost argue that all mmos are rubbish because they haven't equalled wow's sub numbers on that argument.

it's a valid criticism of their stat-giving.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

As I told my brother last night: the way SWTOR is designed it will be F2P within the year, or maybe at best 2.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

If you're familiar with what this game's Hype has been like, and you're a gamer who knows about this game... and your mind is "boggled" by these stats...

Then your mind is far too easily boggled by stats to begin with.

There is nothing surprising about any of these numbers.

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Originally posted by Dihoru

As I told my brother last night: the way SWTOR is designed it will be F2P within the year, or maybe at best 2.

Just wow, ill bet you 20 bucks that youre wrong.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If it is it will be the end of the P2P era.

With the second large upcomming launch being the B2P game GW2 TOR might be the last high budget AAA game trying to launch as P2P (depending on how you see AAA game of course).

SOE have already said Everquest Next will be F2P and they aren't the only large company making this decision.

I hope that you are wrong and that TOR proves to be a success, F2P games suck. B2P is great though but as far as I know is only 2 AAA B2P games in development: GW2 and Undead labs Class 4.

Originally posted by Loke666

With the second large upcomming launch being the B2P game GW2 TOR might be the last high budget AAA game trying to launch as P2P (depending on how you see AAA game of course).

SOE have already said Everquest Next will be F2P and they aren't the only large company making this decision.

I hope that you are wrong and that TOR proves to be a success, F2P games suck. B2P is great though but as far as I know is only 2 AAA B2P games in development: GW2 and Undead labs Class 4.

Loke, it also depends on what Bilzz's Titan MMO model is going to be.

If its Smedley that stated that, then i would take it with a grain of slat.

But i agree with you most B2P and F2P(Pay2win) models are not good.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by Lowcaian

I am impressed, this game really makes you feel unique.

My sarcasm-o-meter just blew up.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Firstly I thought this was a pathetic attempt from EA/BW to impress people, but then I remembered they're new to the MMO genre..

Eat me!

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

my only concern for SWTOR's apparent success is that upcoming MMOs will follow this formula instead of truly innovating the now-stale genre

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Cheapo marketing stunt.

These "mind-boggling" stats could have been published for any mmo with a decent population. I'm sure that Rifts and Aion have way more "mobs killed" than SW:TOR so far. The only thing "impressive" is the number of "jedi knights created" which actually... somehow... doesn't seem right. I really don't know why, I must be an old fogey thinking that a jedi knight is like some kind of a special thing.

Kudos to EA's markting team for coming up with this but it really isn't fooling anybody.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Sith Sorcerers - 1,325,757,319

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Loke666

The era ended while ago already.

Subscription and purchase fee are an obstacle for maintaining subscriber numbers in long term but they are still needed for paying off the development costs, especially when it comes to high budgets.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Kudos to EA's markting team for coming up with this but it really isn't fooling anybody.

Since they were not supposed to fool anybody, everything works as intended.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

interesting, let's see what happens 6 months down the road; it's all about box sales at this point

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I'm stuck at work right now but last night when, I logged on and got lost in my little swtor world I had an absolute blast, aquired a new guildy, leveled up my commando a few levels, and rocked the house in pvp, it was just pure fun, I was satisfied with the experience, not that the game doesn't need a little tweak here and there but it's really fun. Thanks for posting the stats but when I leave work today, get my workout in, and shower, I'm going to log back in and I won't be thinking about these stats at all.
  • fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

interesting, let's see what happens 6 months down the road; it's all about box sales at this point

Over 1 million sales apparrently

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Theres an interesting article over at massively.com market analyst Colin Sebastion states he expects ToR to shift 3 million units by the beginning of March . Quite impressive if hes right and remember if he is for every person that leaves in month two you will quite probably see several people take his place . Also you have to take into account that most analysts are usually very conservative in thier predictions so the units sold could be quite a lot higher . And theres nothing to suggest should ToR will peak at those three million sales . It will of course come down to subscriptions at the end of the day but theres nothing to suggest at the moment that retention rates wont be high .

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just reading through this thread is elucidating.  One person with a 48 and 44.  One of my sons friends has two 50's already and working on a third.

What are these people going to be doing in a few months.  Yep, looking for a new game.  While the game will garner it's fans, most will be bored within a couple months.

This game is designed just like Biowares single player games.

I would have to disagree with you here.  Because MOST players dont sit at home all day everyday and play 15  hours.  My god man you honestly believe most players have two level 50's in two weeks?   I have been playing everyday for a few hours when I can since day two of early release and I am only level 30.  And out of all the 78 members in my guild only half a dozen or so have broke the level 40 mark on their first toons and they are the pvp junkies. 

So again I would argue that MOST players are till enjoying their story lines and exploring for datacrons or working their crafting,  not rushing to be first to 50 and sit. 

• Not a month has past yet, but I would definitely consider myself a subscriber. I purchased a 60 day game card to activate my game with. To a publisher that should be considered gold. An even better stat to track than "traditional subscriptions" where the payment has been pre-authorized but can be cancelled any month by the "subscriber". They've already secured the payment from me. 

Just pointing out that there are subscription-like numbers that are definitely tracked and could be published. 

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Basicaly they have about 1 million subscribers and more than 50% want to subscribe after the first month.

This leaves them about 600K subscribers right from the 2nd month? They might add 200K new subs through 2nd month brigning this to a total of 800K subscribers, far from WOW's 8 million SUBS.

They will bring around 12M dollars per month income with these subs however, which should quickly pay back their debt.

I guess it all depends how quickly the game evolves to something better.

I think most people were disapointed by the artistic choices the devs went for, sticking too much to the original drawings and concepts, which by the way is out dated and ugly, to please the die hard fans, but they forgot the 8 other million people who might have bought the game had it actually looked good or fun to play...

I won't buy SWTOR.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just reading through this thread is elucidating.  One person with a 48 and 44.  One of my sons friends has two 50's already and working on a third.

What are these people going to be doing in a few months.  Yep, looking for a new game.  While the game will garner it's fans, most will be bored within a couple months.

This game is designed just like Biowares single player games.

Who cares if the poopsockers get bored?  Let them.  They can deal with the stench of cat ass and murdered time in their homes while everyone else enjoys the content like normal human beings.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Hasn't McDonald's sold billions of burgers? Just a thought.