Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Mind Boggling Stats

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just reading through this thread is elucidating.  One person with a 48 and 44.  One of my sons friends has two 50's already and working on a third.

What are these people going to be doing in a few months.  Yep, looking for a new game.  While the game will garner it's fans, most will be bored within a couple months.

This game is designed just like Biowares single player games.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just reading through this thread is elucidating.  One person with a 48 and 44.  One of my sons friends has two 50's already and working on a third.

What are these people going to be doing in a few months.  Yep, looking for a new game.  While the game will garner it's fans, most will be bored within a couple months.

This game is designed just like Biowares single player games.

Or even worse Oz, raiding and raiding and raiding and heroicing, and bitching and bitching and bitching about wanting more, until keeping this noisy demographic appeased becomes the main focus of games development, just like it did in the MMO that must not be named.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Mynsc

Originally posted by sgel

Why don't they say how many players are playing?

Good question.

What they posted are big numbers that sound impressive, but can't really be compared with anything and you can't exactly tell how many people are playing from them.

They are a smoke screen basically.

THIS.

AFter Dragon Age II debacle, I would not trust a word EAWARE says. 

They are obviously intent on hyping World of TORcraft  as best thing ever, but the real proof of it surviving or NOT suriving will be after few months, when the start hype dies down and game is seen for what it is - 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've been playing what I consider to be a lot since December 13th and I'm only level 28 on my main.

Burn outs can get burned out all they want, no one to blame but themselves.

• LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135

Like how they just mention numbers that have nothnoig to do with sales or subscriber numbers. It's a pretty sneaky PR move.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    With over a million subs why is this mind bogling?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Sith warriors out number Jedi.  Its official.  Everyone roll republic now, mkay?

Not unexpected.  It's always normal for "bad guys" to outnumber "good guys" on PVP servers.  It's a bigger-tougher-more badass art style thing.

Now what's going on with the PVE servers?  I know Jedi got a bad rap coming out of Beta but...oof.  Are Sith Inquis really THAT good?

Well, I know with the pre-launch guild 'placement' on our server, Republic outnumbered Empire by 4-1 (of course, that was just guilded players - and that number will have most likely evened out somewhat - but it was nearly 4K guilded Rep vs just under 1K guilded Emp)

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

Perhaps they just posted these numbers to get a laugh or make people say "damn lots of jedi running around"? I don't see why anything said about a game somehow has to be turned into a fight, argument, or some sort of whose is bigger contest.

Those numbers don't make me want to play the game, neither does Blizzard telling me there are 12 million WoW players. Why does there need to be some sort of number for you guys to measure the success of the game? If you like it, great go play it. If you don't like it, great don't play it. Worry about if the game succeeded or failed to give you what you had hoped and stop raining all over everyone elses parades, please.

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

Also: Over 12 hours for maintenace today!!

Don't get me wrong, I like the game so far but that was annoying!

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Mind-boggling would be seeing similar stats from WoW.  

For its first week its totally wiped the floor with Warcraft and broken every record set for sales of a new mmorpg. I know what people will say this cant be sustainable but they said that about Warcraft .

Don't forget not everyone pre-orders an mmo and today alone my local game shop sold 50 copys of the game in two hours and this wasnt even in a paticulary large town . They have ordered more but totally underestimated the amount of people wanting it . Its hard to tell if this will continue but it does seem most people playing the game are enjoying it enough to stay with it . So don't expect a massive drop off from the month one players and given its popular expect word of mouth to spread so its likly their will be no drop in the number of players in month two and in all probability the numbers will increase even higher .

I'm not sure if its been released in Russia or China yet ?

Whatever happens now other subscription based games are going to feel its effect . Its the smaller games like Rift that will feel its effect most I think but Warcraft is inevitably going to lose several million subs in 2012 to this . Makes me wonder at what point can we consider ToR to be the WoWkiller ?

Because if the momentum is sustained thats what it could  be .

Originally posted by MikeB

I am one of those 850,000 Sith Warriors. I'm nothing but a statistic!

Are you number 6 if so your not a number your a free man ;)

Hope you've seen the prisoner or that will have no meaning to you at all lol

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

Whatever happens now other subscription based games are going to feel its effect . Its the smaller games like Rift that will feel its effect most I think but Warcraft is inevitably going to lose several million subs in 2012 to this . Makes me wonder at what point can we consider ToR to be the WoWkiller ?

so young. so innocent...

Gotta love Fanboys, thier tears later on will sustain a troll for months.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

A lot of big numbers that are hard to make any sense of.

So here's another:

An ordinary human body has something like 7 billion billion billion atoms. Now, that's big! :)

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

so young. so innocent...

Gotta love Fanboys, thier tears later on will sustain a troll for months.

well i did phrase it as a question as to what number of loses it could be to considered to be a WoW killer would Blizzard have to lose half its subs or become the second most popular game ?

Also I speculated should the momentum continue I didn't say it would .

Theres a huge different between that and making a statement that it will be . Its just like a lot of people you  jump to assumptions and half read something rather than absorb whats actually there .

What I find hilarious is how those trolling the game keep having to begrudgingly move the goal posts because of its popularity . 

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Nine billion NPC's! Oh the horror!!!!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'll put this plainly. SWTOR players are talking about their game being a wow-killer. asking 'how many ______ to kill WoW".

what do you think WoW players will do when they see this?

your guys are agressing WoW, so WoW players retaliate. We didnt provoke you. We didnt have a problem with you. Until you started the "wow-killing" circus. At this point, we come to the defense of our game. You want to kill ours, we'll kill yours first.

Don't try to kill WoW and expect your game to live.

How many WoW-killers do you see alive and well around here?

We-we-we... you gotta pee or something?

WoW is killing itself.  No game will kill WoW.  Ghostcrawler is doing that well enough on his own.  You don't have to feel like all SWTOR fans want a WoW-killer.  In fact, you should feel AWESOME that the game you so admire is the PINNACLE for everything to achieve.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Shivam

Why don't they say how many players are playing?

Why people find something to complain even in light hearted posts?

I was genuinely curious since subs have been going very well for them...

It's getting harder and harder to say anything on this forum without someone biting your head off.

Actually by tor fanboy standards  that's quite gentle

Didn't at one point say they had 2mil beta testers?

Also note that they don't tell you how many people and over what time frame those numbers are from

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Lobotomist

10 million  hours of voicover - skipped

:P

Is that per person?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Sith warriors out number Jedi.  Its official.  Everyone roll republic now, mkay?

I'm surprised that both classes are so ballanced actually.

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

These numbers are pointless. The real numbers need to be shown when people actually have to start paying $15 a month then you will see all those numbers havled or less!!!!`

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

I'll put this plainly. SWTOR players are talking about their game being a wow-killer. asking 'how many ______ to kill WoW".

what do you think WoW players will do when they see this?

your guys are agressing WoW, so WoW players retaliate. We didnt provoke you. We didnt have a problem with you. Until you started the "wow-killing" circus. At this point, we come to the defense of our game. You want to kill ours, we'll kill yours first.

Don't try to kill WoW and expect your game to live.

How many WoW-killers do you see alive and well around here?

I'm no longer a regular WoW player but I do play for a couple of months each year still so no it doesn't specifically come from a ToR player . If anything I've spent more time in Lotro in the last three years than any other game . A lot of time in Rift in the last year and maybe 5-6 months in WoW in the last 2 years ( this includes a lot of welcome back offers ) . Prior to that I spent 5 years non stop in WoW . I've also played City of heroes for a year . Ultima for about 6 months in 2001 . The reason I ask is what would we call a WoWkiller because to me that suggests it would have to finnish WoW off . But nothings finnished Ultima off so WoW could be still going in 15 year without a definative WoWkiller .

But perhaps when people mention WoWkiller they mean a game that can do significant damage to the numbers of subscribers or perhaps they mean a game thay could put it into second place in terms of popularity . If thats what is ment then of course one day thier will be a WoWkiller any idiot can see than . Otherwise WoW would still be number one in 25 years . So given this game is selling so well and seems to be very popular and if ( notice i'm saying if here and not when for those that can't absorb what they read ) the momentum continues why shouldn't ToR become a WoWkiller by either of those definitions .

Should we take the term WoWkiller as a game that will finnish of WoW once and for good then theres never going to be one and the WoWkiller will simply be Blizzard closing it down . Just as the Ultima killer would be Mythic if and when it gets closed down .The thing is probably lot a lot of players around the time WoW was released would consider that it killed the game even though it still survives .

Personally I would consider a game that overtakes WoW in terms of subs to be the WoW killer but I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with that .

Please note I didn't put all those spaces in the last post when I typed it out and editing it doesnt seem to get rid of them so I appologise for it taking up so much space .

• amitava82amitava82 Member Posts: 17

give it 6 months.. it will follow Rift.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by PvPME

And?...

I'm guessing you are implying there is no point to this article, I'd like to take this time to point out there is no point to your post either.

/no

And?