Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess now we know EAlouse wasn't just raving mad

Comments

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Astropuyo

Originally posted by DarVashiel

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by Astropuyo

It's funny. I'm an old school mmorpg player.

I'm loving ToR.

Can't see what the issue is. It's almost creepy how you people attack every mmo in existance.

You really do give devs mixed signals and you wonder why the genre is so messed up?

I highly doubt it will be anything of a failure.

If anything if you dislike it, tor isn't for you. Don't get crazy emotional into the subject.

It's like people debating pepsi to coke. It is non-sense.

Don't see what being an 'old school mmorpg player' has to do with anything. If anything it's the people who have played WoW the most that are tired of games like this, not people who started with UO or EQ. If you can't see the issue then obviously you don't understand the other side of the argument which makes your opinion a little pointless towards an actual discussion. People have their opinions and they will express them whether you like them or not. People will claim that TOR is the greatest MMO ever made and I have a right to post my opinion against it just as much if I post that it will fail and they post that it wont. It's not non-sense just cause you don't understand it. That is just ignorance.

So because the guy loves the game, he's wrong and your right. heres my opinion, thats ignorant...

What I enjoyed is he went for my Xfire bait. I don't get folks like that. Ignorance is being unlearned in a certain degree of knowledge. Ignorance is exaclty what this guy/girl rolled out.

Just enjoy your mmo's as they come. Sandboxes are great and they are fun. But how many of you "old schoolers" are playing Vanguard? That's as sandy as she gets right now. It's a great game and it throws you to the wolves.

Oddly enough people like this are not playing these games. UO is stil around I still have my sub (Whatever I enjoy my tower and decorating it, call me a simmer) I still log into a EQ classic here and there.

Meridian was my favorite personally. Pity they never updated it.

I went for your xfire bait? I didn't even look at it. Xfire is meaningless and thinking people would be 'baited' by it just shows your lack of forethought. Another sign that your ignorance is so bad that you don't even know when you screwed up. So, nice failing again. Again, learn to read properly before posting and looking less like an idiot. You are definatly a facepalm worthy person.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by fony

imo, things don't look to be changing for EA.  when will they get it right?

lol :D

EAlouse was obviously wrong because this game is not a failure by any means, there are millions of people already playing it. He was also wrong about the development team only proud of "the sound" which is also incorrect. The games best feature is story, and that was said millions of times in preveiws. Anyone who really believes all that nonsense coming off of someone who claims to have worked on the development team would have to have the brain of a chimp. Anyone can pose as anyone on the internet it's easy too do. It's just amazing to me how gullible you people are who believe all this crap, but yet again I shouldnt be surprised because when I see the American media on T.V it's no wonder why people are so uneducated these days.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by pharazonic

Theodwulf is a wise person. I'm sure they would have a hearty chuckle reading some of the things posted here.

As for me? I think I will just sit back and watch it unfold. I have made my predictions numerous times ~:)

How I love being right!

I have to agree. It's sad really. The game was simply not finished. It had tons of money, but blew it. Maybe it won't pull a Warhammer move. But it does seem done for. Already 6days in, and this wall of reality kicks in.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Theodwulf is a wise person. I'm sure they would have a hearty chuckle reading some of the things posted here.

As for me? I think I will just sit back and watch it unfold. I have made my predictions numerous times ~:)

How I love being right!

PLZ PLZ PLZ gtfo with all that noise same predictions can and are made about EVERY mmo AoC,WAR,Rift.etc etc

Here let me made a generalized prediction ready for it?  GW2 isn't gonna live up to its hype,GW2 is gonna make alot of people unhappy and be alot like other mmogs blah blah blah blah mark it down though alot of ppl are gonna hate gw2 rolls eyes.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by MMOExposed

How I love being right!

I have to agree. It's sad really. The game was simply not finished. It had tons of money, but blew it. Maybe it won't pull a Warhammer move. But it does seem done for. Already 6days in, and this wall of reality kicks in.

and how exactly have they blew it with ToR? I think you need to get back into reality, and out of your delusions of grandure almost every server is full, and there are already over a million people playing it. I think you need to get your facts strait. This game is doing great, and it will continue doing so for the next 4 - 5 years

good luck with your halfcocked theorys though

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Creslin321

Actually...I would say that the past 7 years have shown that people will pay for "WoW," and specifically WoW, more than another game.  I mean...look at the facts.

The MMO market in general has grown explosively over the past 7 years.  And yet nearly every themepark MMO in exception for one has only had their subs go one place...down, in North America.  When the market is growing, and yet every game except for one is declining, what does that tell you?

Just check out these charts:  http://mmodata.blogspot.com/.  The only themepark game to demonstrate actual growth other than WoW is Aion, and that's only because it's primarily big in Asia.  AoC, Rift, WAR, they all start big and then have a meteoric drop.

In fact, one of the only MMORPGs to demonstrate constant, steady growth in NA other than WoW is Eve.

What this tells me is that games that try to imitate WoW, never live up to the real thing.  When the market is growing, and you're not, that's not good.

MMO's always have turn-over.

WoW has a 30% retain percentage. The current king of  'number of subs' has a 30% retain percentage. Think about it.

And RIFT showed once and for all a well-polished Themepark game will be financially successful. A new studio with a new IP is doing amazingly well financially. What does that tell other companies?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by MMOExposed

How I love being right!

and how exactly have they blew it with ToR? I think you need to get back into reality, and out of your delusions of grandure almost every server is full, and there are already over a million people playing it. I think you need to get your facts strait. This game is doing great, and it will continue doing so for the next 4 - 5 years

good luck with your halfcocked theorys though

Sounds like someone is forgetting about every MMO launch post WoW. Even a small amount of belief in possible underperformance should be justified but you seem to be leaning way too far to the other side that has no real justification byond hope or to a greater extent delusion.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Whatever helps the whiners sleep at night.  

I'm sure EA is crying all the way to the bank.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

It's hasn't even been a week since the official release date. If anything, they should be on their toes.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/star-wars-the-old-republic/news/6312400/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-cost-ea-80-million-analyst

So according to the analyst if TOR would have sold 2 million boxes EA's cut would have been 60 million, they sold over a million but most likely didnt get near 1.5 million boxes sold but lets give em that anyways and tally it up to 45 million box sale profits.

Also noted in the link is that TOR would have to retain 1 million subs for a six month time span to generate a cut of 30 million.

Theoretically if the best case scenario plays out and TOR manages to hold a million subs till may 2012, EA would have recouped 75 million bucks from a game where the lowest ESTIMATED cost for development is 80 million bucks...as far as the estimates go you can find articles with estimates ranging from 80 million to 130+ million so i just went with the lowest.

EDIT: I didnt add the marketing cost coming right outta EA's pockets...dont recall seeing any marketing for it so it sliped my mind but you can tack 20 million on the deficit....

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Who is this EA Louse and why should i care?

Originally posted by youngkg

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/star-wars-the-old-republic/news/6312400/star-wars-the-old-republic-has-cost-ea-80-million-analyst

So according to the analyst if TOR would have sold 2 million boxes EA's cut would have been 60 million, they sold over a million but most likely didnt get near 1.5 million boxes sold but lets give em that anyways and tally it up to 45 million box sale profits.

Also noted in the link is that TOR would have to retain 1 million subs for a six month time span to generate a cut of 30 million.

Theoretically if the best case scenario plays out and TOR manages to hold a million subs till may 2012, EA would have recouped 75 million bucks from a game where the lowest ESTIMATED cost for development is 80 million bucks...as far as the estimates go you can find articles with estimates ranging from 80 million to 130+ million so i just went with the lowest.

EDIT: I didnt add the marketing cost coming right outta EA's pockets...dont recall seeing any marketing for it so it sliped my mind but you can tack 20 million on the deficit....

At the end of the day, EA's public statement was simply "The game has exceeded our expectations".  The game has also only been out for 7 days.   Since when did the total first months sales stop after 7 days?

Theres no cut off period.. SWTOR doesn't stop selling the game after a week and people don't magically stop buying it.  The 1 million mark was reached the 3rd day of release... 

Apart from that, all I'm seeing is what analysts say or "theoretically" ....  we don't know exactly how well SWTOR did so far.. and if you want to dismiss what EA says about the game "exceeding expectations" like the OP did... fine, have at it... but all of this theorycrafting will actually get you no where.  

The only chance we have at seeing how well the game actually has done and will do, will be when EA speaks to investors, or when they willfully release information.  Analysts will drop numbers left and right,  but EA really is the only one who knows...     so,  if they aren't happy with the outcome so far.... well.. they sure fooled me.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

1. Who is EAlouse?

2. Who is Theodwulf?

3. Why should I consider their opinion?

4. I love SWTOR!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by sammyeli

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

It's pretty credible that he mentioned that sound and VO are the only changes to an otherwise same-game MMO. I didn't even mention anything, anywhere, regarding the rest of his open letter, just the information regarding the VO and sound (and that's because he's right). I would agree that, if this letter was written after the fact, that the sound and VO information did come directly from Bioware's news or information, in which case still doesn't solve the massive problem by making a game that replicates others, but with improved sound.

Again it is an opinion not a fact. Same game is such a vague term because i find plenty of things different in SWTOR. As long as other persons view points confirm your own..it is credible otherwise it is not. Credbility means facts..and his blog had none.

and what are these different things that you have plenty of?

Just asking, because people say these things and never mention what it is really.

Never mentioned? i mentioned it like million times but i will do it again... different things for me or what i like to call non standard features... modding system, crew skills, companion system, change in appearance on basis of light/dark choices, V.O has already been mentioned. These are some things just from top of my head which make SWTOR quite a different game for me.

I've actually found that just giving a laundry list of features when trying to prove that one game is different from another in inadequate.  Why?  Because it may not reflect the actual play experience of the game.

For example, SWTOR could (hypothetical) be different from WoW in every single possible way when considering the crafting system.  But this really wouldn't mean that much because the vast majority of players spend most of their time questing/PvPing/dungeons etc.

You really have to compare games on a basis of what players spend the most time doing.  And when I play SWTOR I do questing/BGs/Dungeons.  When I play WoW I do questing/BGs/Dungeons.

And when you compare these features from SWTOR to the equivalents in WoW...they are pretty similar.

you being a GW2 fanni, I am sure you also see that logically, that also apply to Guild Wars 2

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MikeB
    If you feel someone is in violation of our RoC, report them and we'll deal with it if necessary.

Reporting? What for?

By all means this thread is obviously a bait/troll/flame. Yet, it is not locked, despite being reported.

How come?
    To justify bait/troll/flame post you changed the label to 'negative comments'. And here we go, bait/troll/flame is no longer rule breaking bait/troll/flame, it is 'negative comments'!

Reporting will achieve nothing, reporting trolls on these boards is same as fighting a windmill.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

EALouse wasn't raving mad, just wrong.

So a "former EA employee" pours vitriol over his old employer ? No surprises there.

The only "prophetic" part of EALouse's rant is the prdeiction that SWTOR will be "the biggest failure in EA's MMO history". So much hyperbole, makes it sound like EA have had dozens of MMO failures, and this one will top them all. Yeah, riiight...

I'm willing to bet that SWTOR will be around for a long time, if for no other reason than because it carries the StarWars logo.

Depending on who you ask, every MMO ever made was a "massive failure". Yawn...

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

At the end of the day, EA's public statement was simply "The game has exceeded our expectations".  The game has also only been out for 7 days.   Since when did the total first months sales stop after 7 days?

They dont....typically games sell 1/4 of there yearly sales in the first week then dip...

Theres no cut off period.. SWTOR doesn't stop selling the game after a week and people don't magically stop buying it.  The 1 million mark was reached the 3rd day of release... 

It was released on the 13th dont kid yourself...And no EA doesnt stop selling it after a week but people do stop buying it after a week especially when preorders have been open for months...

Apart from that, all I'm seeing is what analysts say or "theoretically" ....  we don't know exactly how well SWTOR did so far.. and if you want to dismiss what EA says about the game "exceeding expectations" like the OP did... fine, have at it... but all of this theorycrafting will actually get you no where.  

I always dismiss what EA has to say...But your missing my point...i dont care how well star wars did...infact i hope it did great and does great in the future.

The only chance we have at seeing how well the game actually has done and will do, will be when EA speaks to investors, or when they willfully release information.  Analysts will drop numbers left and right,  but EA really is the only one who knows...     so,  if they aren't happy with the outcome so far.... well.. they sure fooled me.

You can put your lightsaber away bro im not bashing TOR...i preordered and enjoyed it and found it insanely polished for a launch mmo, even though in the end it wasnt for me, i can still see it being a successfull mmo...

The whole purpose was too gauge if EA would be seeing its investment returned in the near future and it doesnt seem so....WOW cost nearly 75 million to make so to assume TOR's production cost is much higher isnt a strecth considering the cost of producing a AAA mmo in todays market has to be substantially higher than it was in 2001 , not to mention the 300+ voice actors they hired...

Now if you feel that EA not seeing its return in a timely manner reflects on TOR in a negative way thats your problem and dont put alot of stock into "exceeding expectations"...its a company line they used with Warhammer also...funcom threw it around to,Darkfall exceeded epectations on a whole new level...there were ques to buy the client alone.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

I own the game and EAlouse should be right. It should have flopped WaR style.

But too many of us like shiny wow clones (no matter how much they say otherwise), RIFT should have flopped I heard it has over 1 million subs.

SWTOR should have flopped it already has over 1 million because its IP drew in all the SW fans.

Oh well, its the devs fault we just have a lot of MMOers that love new wow clones. Its not a bad thing just annoying if you are a player like who does not.

TERA on the horizon now

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Durray

I own the game and EAlouse should be right. It should have flopped WaR style.

But too many of us like shiny wow clones (no matter how much they say otherwise), RIFT should have flopped I heard it has over 1 million subs.

SWTOR should have flopped it already has over 1 million because its IP drew in all the SW fans.

Oh well, its the devs fault we just have a lot of MMOers that love new wow clones. Its not a bad thing just annoying if you are a player like who does not.

TERA on the horizon now

I bet someone can give you a laundry list of how TEra is a WOW clone...this term has lost all its meaning over the years and is nothing more than a tool used to rile people up and start flame wars over the internet.

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368

I think it's still too soon to say whether or not this will flop. People may say what they want, this game is so similar to WOW, it's not even funny. There are new things like companions and voice over, but overall feel and endgame is completely the same as WOW (dailies, dungeons, HC dungs, raids, instanced pvp, failed open world pvp). While all these things are like WOW, it lacks the many years of updates and polish that WOW had. SWTOR is plagued with many issues, GUI, unresponsive combat, some severe bugs, some badly designed mechanics, some unbalance.

We will see in 2 - 6 months. In my oppinion it all depends on how fast BW can get SWTOR to be on par with WOW polish wise and then how fast will they release new content to get the upper hand. However seeing as some gamebreaking things are unchanged in the game since beta, frankly I don't see the future that rosy. Some things need a complete redesing (for example Ilum).

So yea, they spent all that money to remake WOW in SW coating, it has no really stand out features (yes the VO is nice, but it alone will not save the game), so now they have to make sure they are better than WOW and do it fast.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

They dont....typically games sell 1/4 of there yearly sales in the first week then dip...

It was released on the 13th dont kid yourself...And no EA doesnt stop selling it after a week but people do stop buying it after a week especially when preorders have been open for months...

I always dismiss what EA has to say...But your missing my point...i dont care how well star wars did...infact i hope it did great and does great in the future.

You can put your lightsaber away bro im not bashing TOR...i preordered and enjoyed it and found it insanely polished for a launch mmo, even though in the end it wasnt for me, i can still see it being a successfull mmo...

The whole purpose was too gauge if EA would be seeing its investment returned in the near future and it doesnt seem so....WOW cost nearly 75 million to make so to assume TOR's production cost is much higher isnt a strecth considering the cost of producing a AAA mmo in todays market has to be substantially higher than it was in 2001 , not to mention the 300+ voice actors they hired...

Now if you feel that EA not seeing its return in a timely manner reflects on TOR in a negative way thats your problem and dont put alot of stock into "exceeding expectations"...its a company line they used with Warhammer also...funcom threw it around to,Darkfall exceeded epectations on a whole new level...there were ques to buy the client alone.

Typically you say that games make most of their sales in the first week,  however, thats not entirely true in all games, especially MMOs.  AoC for instance didn't reach the 1 million sales mark until the first month hit.  Guild Wars 1 didn't hit the 7 million boxes sold over night... and counted all of the expansion content.. and packaged content.. as boxes sold

WoW definitely didn't start with 5 million players in the west,  nowhere close to that in their first month.

And,  as stated by those same "analysts"  EA will be keeping all revenue earned until they recoup their investment, before Lucastarts gets any money.   

Also, you say that the game launched on the 13th.. but you'd be wrong.. early access did,  but most  who preordered weren't charged (especially those through origin, which would be the largest slice of EAs revenue as its their store)  until the 20th.  I know I wasn't on any of the copies I bought as gifts this year.    Then, 3 days from the time the game was charged, and subscriptions were signed up for, they released,  1 Million subscriptions earned....   on the day of the cutoff if I remember correctly.... 

And if you put a lot of stock in what analysts say, then you would also take note of the most recent analyst who mentioned they believe EA will be profitable, recoup their investment, and make a hefty chunk of money within their first month of release.    Faux numbers can work in favor of anyone you want them to,  again, its only EA that knows for sure.

Which is why this threa is ridiculous in the end... the OP makes no sense, and nothing has been proven right,  and only what EA has released as fact (stating that 300 million is far beyond anything that was spent) has been dismissed by people who are apparently physically and mentally hurt that this game is successful.   The questions shouldn't be on the thinly veiled attempt to jab SWTOR... but why the same people here can't let a successful game, have its success.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Love this game, dont see this game flopping at all not by the accounts of most ppl I play, I dont really need 5mil ppl to be happy just the ppl I know and play with.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

I freaking love the fanboys claiming one million subs on the first week, when the game forces you to put down a sub plan to enjoy the 30 days.

Lets wait till the end of the 30days and see if the song if the same shall we?

Fucking moronic

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

Originally posted by Fir3line

I freaking love the fanboys claiming one million subs on the first week, when the game forces you to put down a sub plan to enjoy the 30 days.

Lets wait till the end of the 30days and see if the song if the same shall we?

Fucking moronic

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by MikeB

If you feel someone is in violation of our RoC, report them and we'll deal with it if necessary.

Reporting? What for?

By all means this thread is obviously a bait/troll/flame. Yet, it is not locked, despite being reported.

How come?

To justify bait/troll/flame post you changed the label to 'negative comments'. And here we go, bait/troll/flame is no longer rule breaking bait/troll/flame, it is 'negative comments'!

Reporting will achieve nothing, reporting trolls on these boards is same as fighting a windmill.

it's nothing of the sort. stop derailing it please.