Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead Island RPG?

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I bought the Dead Island four pack for 59.95 from Steam a few days ago and gave them as presents to my best friend, sons and of course a copy for me.

Before I bought it, I looked up some reviews and Metacritic gave it an 80, but users gave it a 6.8, oh well.  I am really enjoying it, and my friend and Sons are having a blast.  At first, I thought it was another Left4Dead type game.  Boy, I was wrong.  It turned out to be an RPG, with questing, leveling, skill points and a HUGE and I mean HUGE world.  Even your weapons degrade over time and it shows on the weapon.

I know it had a bad start, but through the patches and tweaks, it is starting to shine.  People are working on MODS for it too.  There is even a tool you can download from steam to help tweak the perrformance!

Last night I played with my Sons, cooperative.  When you do, they match the zombies to your level!  I am level 13 and my Sons are level 5 and the same zombie we were bashing, matched our level.  How the hell did they do that?

This game is definitely not for the squemish. Arms go flying, heads crack open and blood gushes everywhere.  They use every 4 letter word in there also.  LOL

Anyone else playing this game?

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Finished it awhile back and loved every minute of it. Similar to Dead Rising but way better.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Yup definitely my favorite game of 2011 by far.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

I almost got this title because I heard it has diablo-like looting system. But I was saving my money for Skyrim, sadly. :(

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by kashiegamer

I almost got this title because I heard it has diablo-like looting system. But I was saving my money for Skyrim, sadly. :(

Just the other day, my friend called me and said Skyrim was on sale at Steam for around 49.95.  It was like a one day sale or something.

Did anyone notice that?

Still, I am having a ball in Dead Island.  It is very addicting.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Played it with my friends for a little while, but it got pretty repetitive.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by MikeB

Actually, I am finding out that it is more fun playing by yourself.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by outfctrl

Same here, i found it more fulfulling to face the zombies by myself knowing i had to watch my own back, i think it made it more of a challenge to go through it solo.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Flem

Same here, i found it more fulfulling to face the zombies by myself knowing i had to watch my own back, i think it made it more of a challenge to go through it solo.

Doesn't it scale the game down significantly when you're playing alone? I've heard it's actually really boring unless playing with friends. I haven't tried this myself though. The game was all right, don't get me wrong, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by Flem

Doesn't it scale the game down significantly when you're playing alone? I've heard it's actually really boring unless playing with friends. I haven't tried this myself though. The game was all right, don't get me wrong, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be.

No it's pretty crazy solo. I enjoyed my time solo more because the game is actually scary. Its hard to be afraid of a game when you're constantly talking to your team mates. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'm with MikeB here, when I played I got to the point when you go back to the hotel and by that point I'd had enough.  It was just the same thing OVER and OVER again.  It was fun in the start but it just gets repetitive.