Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heavy-handed moderation of SOPA threads.

PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

"MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics may be locked or deleted if determined out of hand by the MMORPG.com moderator staff."

So, political discussion is not automatically forbidden on mmorpg.com according to its ROC, and all the locked threads so far were extremely polite and decent...

And SOPA is something that will (or won't) have a direct effect on the users of this site AND its main subject which are the mmorpgs.

mmorpg.com, please stop locking down threads about this very important subject because this is certainly not warranted, even by your own ROC. Especially if you don't want to look like you have an agenda of your own in this matter.

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Agreed, SOPA will affect every website that has any dealings with corporate entities. Including this one. Let people discuss this issue.

BOOYAKA!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

OR instead of posting yet ANOTHER thread to be locked, email MikeB.  If MikeB ok's it, you can discuss it to your hearts content.

SOPA is controversial.  You'll find some for, some against.  The end user tends to be against while the companies tend to be for.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Discussion of moderation isn't even mentioned in the ROC and yet we all know how that works out.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I haven't really pay attention to many of the SOPA threads on here myself havent seen them listed on here really, but I think that in my opinion SOPA will effect gamers in big ways, or can effect the gaming, and entertainment industry in a bad way. I think word about it should be out there, however to prevent a lot of spam of the topic SOPA, I think that a Moderator should leave 1 or 2 open if it is within the rules of the forum that would be great.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Ikeda

OR instead of posting yet ANOTHER thread to be locked, email MikeB.  If MikeB ok's it, you can discuss it to your hearts content.

SOPA is controversial.  You'll find some for, some against.  The end user tends to be against while the companies tend to be for.

I will do that.

And I will report Amana for breach and mispresentation of ROC http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/336428/SOPA-supporters-list-vote-with-your-wallet.html where he/she states that "Political discussion is not permitted on the forums." which is patently false, according to their own ROC.

In the light of what SOPA represents, I find it highly offensive to see indiscriminate and unfounded arbitrary political censorship on this very site. They should be a bit more careful when walking this line. Look what hapened to GoDaddy.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I would highly recommend editting your previous post.  Do not call out mods, do not call out actions, write it up in your email.  In fairness, the mod you are calling out is typically fairhanded.  Rather than 'blasting' them, just bring it up.  Nothing can be harmed by being nice about it.  Whereas if you sound like a lunatic you could actually hurt your case.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Ikeda

I would highly recommend editting your previous post.  Do not call out mods, do not call out actions, write it up in your email.  In fairness, the mod you are calling out is typically fairhanded.  Rather than 'blasting' them, just bring it up.  Nothing can be harmed by being nice about it.  Whereas if you sound like a lunatic you could actually hurt your case.

This is where I stand and I stand by my words.

I will not tolerate arbitrary political censorship and I will not discretely hide it under a rug in order to be "nice." Personally, I think the crap that is SOPA is where it is EXACTLY because too many people were "nice" and allowed this sort of thing to go on.

This is not my problem. It is mmorpg.coms. I can live without them but they can't live without me and other users like me.

It is their turn to be nice and apologize.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

See this thread for the updated Rules of Conduct section concerning poliical discussion: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/324267/IMPORTANT-Religion-Politics-Subforum-Shutdown.html

Religion and Politics

• MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.

Locking this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by pyrofreak

Discussion of moderation isn't even mentioned in the ROC and yet we all know how that works out.

We allow you to discuss moderation, as is evidenced by the numerous threads in this subforum.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I've been contacted by a few users regarding the SOPA threads and the fact the ones that have appeared so far have remained civil and such. I agree that so far this is true, but in our experience threads political in nature DO devolve into partisan bickering (it's simply a matter of time) and require more moderator resources than we are prepared to devote to policing such topics. Our decision on religious and political topics came after a number of years of dealing with this issue.

The reason we can't allow the SOPA threads is simple. It would set a precedent that MMORPG.com can deem appropriate which political topics to allow, and so the same case could be made for many other political topics: "But you allowed the SOPA threads!"

This discussion has been closed.