Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And they say Guild Wars 1 was a fail...

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Who said?

It might 'fail' for some people on a personal level, but they have sold over 5 million boxes of the franchise I believe.

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346

Ye exactly who said GW failed? ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

game of the year in 2005, that's pretty good....especially from a site that has warhammer online at a 9.0 score in '08....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I personally didn't care much for it, but it brought years of entertainment to many folks, and I sure wish I could figure out a way to sell 5 million copies of 'fail' myself.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I don't think anyone considered the game a failure. True, some of GW's features were controversial and a lot of MMO players didn't find these features to their liking but the game was very successful overall. In my opinion, GW was very successful amongst non-MMO players. All of my real life friends who played GW a lot do not play any MMOs. Some of them even hate the persistent nature of MMOs.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Kyleran

I personally didn't care much for it, but it brought years of entertainment to many folks, and I sure wish I could figure out a way to sell 5 million copies of 'fail' myself.

I used to use GW1 as the "fallback" game.  The advantage of B2P, you can step away from it any time, and jump right back into it with equal ease.

GW2, I'm sure, gets (at least) the same spot in the roster, utility player always ready to come off the bench.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

GW1 owns untill GW2 gets released

nuff more to be said

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

Guild Wars is a fun and engaging game, but to call it an MMO(RPG) is doing a serious injustice to other 'real' MMO(RPG)s.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

sadly i have to agree...it was a personal fail for me...the game play sucked and the enviroment felt dull. story line was boring and was trying too hard to be a mmo when sadly it wasnt....i was on the same lvl as the old Playstation game ./hack i bought GW on release played it for about a month and then realized hell im playing ./hack and deleted the game off my acct.

Because of this i will not be buying GW2 and the recerch i have done into GW2 is also keeping me not ammused and dissapointed....the BIG killer for me is the combat system and underwater battles...just childish.

BUT TO EVERY THERE OWN!

I know alot of ppl who HATE SWTOR and LOVE WoW.......guess we all make mistakes.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

seems like alot of SWTOR fans usually saying that lately. i wonder why.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

You're posting links to 6 year old articles in order to counter a statement nobody made?

:

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

this game was the main competition of wow for years ,blizzard copied their pvpv system!the most hard core pvp you could have back then was guild wars ,i played it for years!and this title was awsome as corpg goes!at some point we were what 6 million 8 million ,a lot of those baught the pvp pack from arenanet .and nobody minded to pay because arenanet had candy at the end if you were the top dogs,yep money !their only flaw was to announce gw2 way too early annoucing a game more then 6 month in advance is too lon it buid too much expectation that the game can never live up to!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

GW1 was just way ahead of its time.

Heavily instanced storyline driven.

Fast leveling to cap.

Companions take on the role of players when a group is too small.

Completely soloable except possibly for a few parts.

Instanced PVP.

Optional direct to level-cap for PVP.

Buy to play with optional cash shop.

If that doesn't sound like a 2012 game, I don't know what does.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Fast leveling to cap.

Instanced PVP.

ya arenanet team had to fight toot and nail with ncsoft and grudgingly ncsoft gave them 10 cent to leave ncsoft alone ,and arenanet made guild wars with the limited fund ncsoft provided!

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

I have all expansions and i have t osay the game is still packed

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Fast leveling to cap.

Instanced PVP.

ya arenanet team had to fight toot and nail with ncsoft and grudgingly ncsoft gave them 10 cent to leave ncsoft alone ,and arenanet made guild wars with the limited fund ncsoft provided!

There were several years where Guild Wars was NCSofts primary money maker in North America and Europe.  One of the reasons NCSoft is "letting" ArenaNet set thier own schedule for Guild Wars 2.

In short Guild Wars was NEVER really a fail.