Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA - the very best scammers ever

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Just another strong point for F2P games, you can test those out all you want before spending a dime. Try that with the fail SWTOR model, hell even blizz allows people to try their game to level 20 for free. no signup required, i know cause i had a friend give it a try. 

Yawn is right tho but not for the nasty reasons the sorry excuse for human beings who posted those things are claiming, i'm yawning because this is yet another example of what's wrong with this game. 

Altho i feel for you OP i truly do, I have to say people do need to do more research into their games before buying/subing. I've done all i can to help people realize that if they Devs don't care about the players, which the devs of SWTOR definitely do no, as evident by their "we don't care we are doing it this way" attitude while it was in beta, the it immediately follows that the game is fail.

I will be happily posting all the niceties about Guild Wars 2 when it launches to help the disgruntled SWTOR players migrate to a game that's actually next gen, and not a pretender.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Fext

Originally posted by Zeal77

1. Finish School.

2. Get a job.

3. Keep that job for a while.

4. Get your own credit card.

5. Congratulations, you are qualified to play MMO's now.

OK. Give me back my money then.

Take 5 dollars to a walmart or random convenient story... pay for a visa gift card... put it in.  They don't charge you anything until after the first month. Bingo-bango-bongo, you're done.

Don't know many subscription based games that let you play for the 30 days without setting up billing as its a recurring subscription....   pretty sure just about all sub based games force you to subscribe before playing now.   

A lot of players claim to be MMO veterans... just can't understand how this is "new" to them.  Needless to say, its not very hard to put in a 5 .. er 25 or whatever dollar visa gift card and be done with it.

How many start using up your free time yet block you from playing?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Zeal77

1. Finish School.

2. Get a job.

3. Keep that job for a while.

4. Get your own credit card.

5. Congratulations, you are qualified to play MMO's now.

OK. Give me back my money then.

Take 5 dollars to a walmart or random convenient story... pay for a visa gift card... put it in.  They don't charge you anything until after the first month. Bingo-bango-bongo, you're done.

Don't know many subscription based games that let you play for the 30 days without setting up billing as its a recurring subscription....   pretty sure just about all sub based games force you to subscribe before playing now.   

A lot of players claim to be MMO veterans... just can't understand how this is "new" to them.  Needless to say, its not very hard to put in a 5 .. er 25 or whatever dollar visa gift card and be done with it.

How many start using up your free time yet block you from playing?

No idea...  I suppose if you put in your code but don't register a CC.... well...  who knows..  I've never heard of that being an issue before.  Most of the time when you buy a subscription game that says "credit card required" on the box....  people take heed and you don't run into this issue.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Just put in your cc info, and cancel sub... done.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

No idea...  I suppose if you put in your code but don't register a CC.... well...  who knows..  I've never heard of that being an issue before.  Most of the time when you buy a subscription game that says "credit card required" on the box....  people take heed and you don't run into this issue.

I've never seen this before, which says to me it's happening yet not supposed to, or the OP is confused and they used 3 days being the 20th, 21st and 22nd of free time during the grace period. Hopefully he'll update through the weekend showing that number decline more.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I dont see the problem to be honest if i started playing at some point during the headstart it should be quiete obvious that my 30 days will start counting the moment the game goes live nothing new about it no scamming either just how it should be.....

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I've never seen this before, which says to me it's happening yet not supposed to, or the OP is confused and they used 3 days being the 20th, 21st and 22nd of free time during the grace period. Hopefully he'll update through the weekend showing that number decline more.

I do hope he gets this resolved.. if he is blocked from playing hopefully CS fixes that issue.   I've never really noticed whether or not this has ever happened in other games...   most of the time they don't give you specific dates on how many days are left.. usually they just say "game time expires on"  if you don't have CC information in there... and usually thats listed after you've initially put in your CC information.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Scam? It says clearly on the box you need a CC and active subscription....to this subscription based MMO.

Really? /facepalm

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

pbbbt nvm..

• NaucanoNaucano Member UncommonPosts: 80

I dunno about the 30 days, but I sure as hell can give some of you some other answers.

Creditcards: they are the way of paying on the American continent. In Europe however debetcards, ie. the normal bankcard is mostly used. I don't have any exact statistics but as an example: estimates are that in Benelux ( Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg ) at most 20% of all transaction are done by using cc.

And if you ever go to Europe for the first time, check with your cc-company maybe they need to acknowledge you are abroad, you would not like to have a payment rejected. And check where and what you are paying, never let anyone dash off in the back of a room with your card.

Ease of use, eh ?

Speaking of which: we do have debetcards with facilities, such as Maestro. And guess what ? It is on our bankcard, no need of  anything fancy, it comes as a service with the card of every bank . And you know what ? You can pay some online services as well. Well, nothing special here, is it ?Then check out this: http://www.maestrocard.com/be_nl/partners.html and what company do you find there, right:

Electronic Arts Games

Electronic Arts (EA) is ’s werelds grootste ontwikkelaar en uitgever van videogames voor PC, Wii, Xbox, PlayStation, Mobile, online, PSP en Nintendo DS.

Guess what you get when you hit the more info button ? Yes: SWTOR ! Available now ! Buy at Origin !

Can I pay with my card ? No

Ease of use, eh ?

So, be mindful before you go barking on a poor lads post saying there is something amiss with EA/Origin policy.

Rated M for Mature - May contain content inappropriate for children

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

This is the case, the OP started playing on the grace period days, which means his account is ticking from that day on. He refuses now to put in his CC number so the time is still ticking since he already started to play which made the time to tick. How many times have you heard that the free 30 days STOPS ticking when you remove sub plan and you can use them later?

This is a little confusing because he was able to begin to play without a sub plan because of the grace period, that cannot hapen to anyone anymore since the grace period is over, and now you can only activate your game by putting in CC number or timecard.

If the OP would just give his CC number and cancel the sub he could play the rest of the free days, but he wants to make it a problem and not put the CC number in even though it is a game that says when you buy it that you need a CC sub or timecard.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Can't you just use a debit card? They're not exactly expensive.... as they're FREE! You don't even need to have more than £1 on them these days (of course I have no idea if this works in the US)

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

People need to learn to respect that fact that some people do not trust the internet at all with their personal information. With all the hacking going on lately I don't blame them. All it takes is one time and someone's life can be ruined for a very long time. Sure they can go and purchase a time card, but that defeats the purpose for having the free 30 days.

To say... just put your CC on their and cancel your account... is an excuse and they still get your information. They can just as easily just allow you to play and if you wish to continue THEN you can choose to use your CC.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by minocin

Can't you just use a debit card? They're not exactly expensive.... as they're FREE! You don't even need to have more than £1 on them these days (of course I have no idea if this works in the US)

Works in us i use a visa/debit.

And if people dont trust the net use debit and gtc's..

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

The OP is not wrong or misunderstood; if you enter a code but have yet to give cc details it will start counting down but not let you play. It took me a few days to sort out my cc and I lost some days of play time. Some people are concerned about security and want to use a debit card but need to stuff around setting it up.  Some people that play are children and they did not articulate the purchasing process to their parents. Some are using someone elses credit card or dont have their own handy at the time they redeem the code.

For what ever reason for some of us there is a delay between activating the code and entering a credit card on their web site.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Out of all the posts complaining about the credit card sub thing, this one actually has some merit.

They absolutely shouldn't be taking time off your 30 days if they aren't allowing you to play. That just seems wrong.

Do you have paypal? They allow that for subs, might work better for you.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I really don't see what the issue is...

Here's some easy steps to alleviate your problem...

1) Get a CC, Debit Card or something that shows you have financial responsibilty.

2) Subscribe with said card.

3) Play SWTOR

4) Decide by day 29 if you want to actually subscribe.

5) Unsubscribe or keey playing.

People need to learn to respect that fact that some people do not trust the internet at all with their personal information. With all the hacking going on lately I don't blame them. All it takes is one time and someone's life can be ruined for a very long time. Sure they can go and purchase a time card, but that defeats the purpose for having the free 30 days.

To say... just use your CC and cancel your account... is just an excuse and they still get your information. They can just as easily allow you to play and if you wish to continue THEN you can choose to use your CC. Don't try to force this situation on the player when it's the company's doing.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

or use paypal XD

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by tkoreaper

To say... just put your CC on their and cancel your account... is an excuse and they still get your information. They can just as easily just allow you to play and if you wish to continue THEN you can choose to use your CC.

No one is forcing you to buy the game if you do not agree to the term that you need to either input a CC number or timecard. Also you dont need to pay anything for the CC option if you cancel it before the free period. It's no excuse that you just simply dont trust the service and dont want to input your CC number, in that case you should not buy the product at all if getting a time card is problem too, there's really no way around it. Every sub based game I've played (something around 10 different titles) has required me to activate my account through CC number or time card before even the free time. Now the OP activated it with the grace period and then refused to continue the active account according to the terms.

If it's not forcing then I don't know what it is.. you buy the game knowing it will have 30 days free and then are FORCED to use a credit card or a time card in order to play. You don't have the option to return the game... stores don't even let you. So yes, you have no choice... and having no choice = forced.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Now, EA, just think about all the kids from relatively poor families who spent their money on the game purchase, hoping for a month of playing, and who have no money to buy the card (and have no cc).

They purchased a service with re occurring payments. Why are people not grasping this.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

It is not the first time this has happend. It was the same with WoW, but you were able to enter some fake credit card numbers and started playing. WoW used to require credit card just for trial, imagine that.

If it's SOOO easy to just put your CC number out on the internet or spend more money to buy a time card for a game that you do not know you'll be playing after a month... then why is it so hard for the companies to just allow people to play and lock them out after their time has expired... Why can't people grasp this thought?

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by fivoroth

I don't get it. You entered the code, it asked you for a credit card, you couldn't give one so they didn't activate your account but they still took your 30 days?

Originally posted by Beazt

Are you one of those poor boys?

Get a life maybe?

Look where you are, where you are posting..now wait and ponder for  a moment and re read what you just wrote.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by tkoreaper
    If it's SOOO easy to just put your CC number out on the internet or spend more money to buy a time card for a game that you do not know you'll be playing after a month... then why is it so hard for the companies to just allow people to play and lock them out after their time has expired... Why can't people grasp this thought?

Its not a trial, Its complimentary time now that you have purchased their service.
    If you thought you were just gona "finish" the "Game" in 30 days then put it in a draw your sadly mistaken.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

This discussion has been closed.