Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did TERA fail, and is there any hope of escaping that fate for its launch in the west?

Comments

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by free2play

Originally posted by Otakun

You are still doing it. You can't disagree with people without being a rude, anti social freak? You come on a forum and dictate the law, you are all wise and full of information and everyone else is an ignorant moron, then wonder why someone might snap at you? Go outside for a few minutes a day.

Read your own original reply to me. You are going to tell me it didn't stink of high browing? Why is so painfull to be polite on a forum?

On topic, if they made the game with a huge budget, do you really think the end publishing goal was exclusive to Korea or a closed server Japan? They were prototype launches. They planned from day one to release this game global. This is phase three of a 3 phase launch program. Costing after global release will make them money. I don't thinke BHS ever expected to make thier money back from Korea alone. There was never an audience in Korea to recover investments. Using my initial example, had the show Lost Girl spent 12 million per episode never planning to branch out beyond Canada then yes, that would make it a failure. Because the costs per episode were under 100K they make money witha  600K audience. You decided to not even see things from my point of view and went straight to belittlement. You got what you deserved. Cry moar.

If you are concerned about someone acting "high brow" on the internet then you need to remember that the internet is full of random no name people who mean nothing to your normal day life and if you are bothered by how random guy talks to you then it seems that you are the one with the problem. Maybe you should look into that issue before posting again.

But on topic, your example makes no sense. The idea of being high budget and not making as much back as they assumed has nothing to do with future endeavors. They were forced to release early cause of investor reasons not cause of some simple idea of a "prototype launch". It's very self centered to think that everything is just for the 'global launch' and everything else is just testing. For one thing, there is no 'global launch'. There is a NA release and a EU release which are both seperate by 2 different publishers. By your example, then they would have never been forced to release early in Korea and in Japan and have a set date for the western release which there wasn't, it was pushed back cause they knew the product was not finished. I decided not to see things from your POV cause your POV is flawed and you are too short sighted to see cause there are other factors that you have not taken into account.

So, yeah, maybe you should spend a week or two to actual read up on what's going on with TERA instead of spouting off some crap about a lame TV show and act like the the production of some low budget TV show is the same as the production of the most expensive MMO ever developed in Korea.

I still don't see this as a failure in Korea and the reasoning is given. I do respect that forums are inadequate in some ways and flame wars rise up over how something is interpreted and it's usually a false interpreting. I find a forum is like a bar. I never go in with an expactation. We might all sit there and laugh, get drunk and go home or we might end up beating beer bottles over each others heads. When the latter happens, you either leave or start swinging.

I still can't see EME putting huge amounts of money in to Tera for a Korean only launch. South Korea only has 50 million people. There simply is not a big enough population there to justify it. Releasing it early would give them a public audience and a working subscription base to see where they needed to finish and what was acceptable. They can only simulate so much during production. At some point they need to release to fix thier mistakes. It would suck to be South Korean and to have purchased Tera to open beta test it but I think that's what they did really.

In Korea, you don't buy a box product. Alls you do is make an account and pay for the sub. Anyone could play the open beta for free, like I did. Success in Korea is not rated on box sales or sub numbers. It's rated on hours played a month. This is why I mention about doing your research.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i doubt it will be better here!in korea they got a good reason to frown upon tera the dev from l3 .korean never swallowedd that one here either ,also here we re used to wow quality and with 64 bit wow near!it wont help other game quality in therm of graphic will be going up for lot of user who had to compromise because their gear was 64 bit but wow was 32!.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

Even though the graphics are high end, this game runs very well on my PC, whereas I was having problems running games like Rift at max settings.  Tera will be able to run on most PCs, and if lag is the issue make sure that you are playing on your appropriate server when the game launches.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

If the game is good, I'll still buy it, then treat it like Skyrim and play it as open world adventure with nice combat system for a month.

Whats the big deal?

Oh this is the internet.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by xKingdomx

If the game is good, I'll still buy it, then treat it like Skyrim and play it as open world adventure with nice combat system for a month.

Whats the big deal?

Oh this is the internet.

Never said the game was good. Even so, it's not worth full box price + sub fee. That is my point which has nothing to do with being on the internet. =P

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

5 copies!!

I gonna has 5 copies!!!

Elin runnin around in they undies everywhere!

Giggity, giggity, goo!!

Why? Cuz I can, thas why! Wahoo

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

The only real problem is it needs far to long to come out in the West. Most ppl that were hype back expected it to release Early 2011 at last and now its 2012 . SWTOR and GW2 are now the hype train.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

Did anyone check the subscription prices they were offering? Too many factors made "Tera" fall in the East. Practically, I think the game lacked any content and creativity that would help it succeed in either or market. The game maybe a beautiful piece of artwork, but what about everything else? We will see what this game has to offer soon enough.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• A thing i'm really sure about this game, stupid censorship apart, in the fact that it will not last long with the P2P model in the west with games like GW2 that are completely free with more content.
    Tera should be a B2P game from the start, this is the only way to keep people play it in the long run considering this game is mainly a PVE themepark based on BG and boss hunting (yea i know there is a dedicated PvP server in the west but i have doubt that the rulesets will be so different since the game is designed around pve).

2012 will be an amazing year for next-gen mmorpgs.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by kdchan

A thing i'm really sure about this game, stupid censorship apart, in the fact that it will not last long with the P2P model in the west with games like GW2 that are completely free with more content.

Tera should be a B2P game from the start, this is the only way to keep people play it in the long run considering this game is mainly a PVE themepark based on BG and boss hunting (yea i know there is a dedicated PvP server in the west but i have doubt that the rulesets will be so different since the game is designed around pve).

2012 will be an amazing year for next-gen mmmorpgs.

Now you know good and well you have no idea how much content GW2 will have at launch,  no one does.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• dragonordragonor Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by stayontarget

Now you know good and well you have no idea how much content GW2 will have at launch,  no one does.

yup exactly.. thats a real interesting point about gw2..  so far we have seen some good among of good/high-quality content (more persistent world, graphics, combat-system, some kind of own story/housing, events, wvwvw).. but.. can it keep that quality up for the whole game/features? and will it also provide enough quantity (for a mmo)?

and/or are there already drawbacks in the game most ppl didnt realize so far?  (f.e. you have big bosses with big action/presentation.. but so far i have seen that these bosses stay static?!  or another one: will pvp be part of the "normal" game or is it maybe completly separated from the pve-part (events..)?!)

for sure all that good/high-quality-content already costs alot (resources/work/money).. and gw2 wont have monthly fee. so yaeh its gonna be quite interesting..

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180
    Aion 2.0 will kill Warhammer.
  • Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Aion3.0 F2P will kill Tera.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

[Mod Edit]

MMO fans these days are simply miserable folk who hate everything, most especially the game they devote 75% of thier life too.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Basically nothing was ready (end game) for Ktera...thats the reason the developers openly said they wouldn't make the same mistake in the NA launch.  I've played Ktera and will say the combat system is a blast...with a launch coming a few months away for our Tera...I believe the game will be very good.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

It looks promising but I don't think I want to pay $15 a month for this. Time will tell I guess. I was super excited for this game... but that was 2 years ago.

Also, I find it somewhat hilarious that they claim they won't make the same mistake twice by launching a game that isn't ready, but they announce a release date before the beta has even started. Doesn't add up. So once again beta is nothing but a glorified demo.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Isometrix

It looks promising but I don't think I want to pay $15 a month for this. Time will tell I guess. I was super excited for this game... but that was 2 years ago.

Don't worry, there's an RMT for that. Support lazy people with money and you get gametime.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

Aion 3.0 F2P is coming out in Feb. So no, it can't kill TERA... which is coming out in Spring. That said I think it will actually do quite well as F2P. 

A lot of ex-Aion players may return depending on how much 'free' content is available. 

To kill something, implies that that thing is at least born. If TERA isn't released in the West...then there is no game that is already out that can kill it.

Now if you were talking about an MMO releasing after W-TERA, thats a different story.

Anyways, I think what will make or break W-TERA is Server vs. Server PvP. If they can implement that on launch, they will be releasing at a similar level to that of Aion in terms of content.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

games succeed in korea dont succeed in the west, and games that succeed in the west dont succeed in korea.

Chances are, the reason it doesnt succeed in korea is because its too westernised, lol.  Which is good news for us xD

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by sadeyx

games succeed in korea dont succeed in the west, and games that succeed in the west dont succeed in korea.

Chances are, the reason it doesnt succeed in korea is because its too westernised, lol.  Which is good news for us xD

WoW is doing better in Korea then TERA. Figure that into your logic.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

It flopped just as it would have here if it was released that state. It is, however, gaining more population and the updates being released are creating interest. I think it will do moderately well here, as long as you aren't expecting another WoW your hopes won't be dashed.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Tera is a game that i want to try and  for me try a game is buy it and play at least a few weeks.

I didnt like reading here that this game is fast leveling.

Plz, dont tell me this game is just one more that is all about "end game at lvl cap" ?

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

I've been following it when I can. But after the first year and a half I kind of gave up. Getting sick of the monthly updates. But the BETA and release dates is great news finally. I really don't care to go and babble about content and endgame. Its an MMO, it looks great, the concept seems awesome, and had I knew how to read Korean, my play experience would have been better.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by sadeyx

WoW is doing better in Korea then TERA. Figure that into your logic.

A friend of mine was playing this game at korea for 3 months but after that he told me its a very nice mmo to play if you enjoy no tab combat, but after that its nothing there really new, some kind of crappy quests and awful RNG and lots of mindless grind
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    I love you Terabestgame.

Just not worth my time anymore.

This discussion has been closed.