Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Events

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Do guilds do events anymore?

I was reminiscing about the guild events that used to take place in MMOs. Things like "Healing Stations", "Taxi Bots", "Drinking Races", contests of all kinds, and other community based interactions.

In EverQuest, Some guilds would set up "Healing Stations" in certain areas. Sometimes in a tough zone, sometimes near a dungeon. Their healers would help those in the zone who needed it.

In City of Heroes, when the new zone, The Hollows, came out, a guild of teleporters would help newbies (it was a HUGE low level zone and the players had no travel powers yet) get to their mission doors. The zone was level 5-15 and was VERY dangerous to maneuver in with mission doors set all over the zone, no matter the level of the mission.

In EverQuest, having races while drinking in Kelethin (the wood elf home city in the tress) was hosted by many "sadistic" guilds... lol The fall from the platforms was a sure killer for newbies.

In City of Heroes, there was a guild or two that ran Task Force races. Task forces are special group missions that run along a storyline and has multiple parts to them, from talking to specific NPCs to looking for clues to fighting bosses.

EverQuest and City of Heroes were the only 2 MMOs I played in the early to late mid 2000s, so they happen to be my examples. I am sure other games had guilds that were more community oriented than today's seemingly more raid oriented guilds.

My guild in WoW took a bunch of level 15-40 members and attacked pre-Cata Crossroads once, and it was a blast, but not really "community oriented". Other games I have played I have not really noticed guild community involvement, but then again, I was not actively seeking out these things.

Do guilds do this kind of thing anymore?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Still seem to happen in most games I played to be honest, and that even includes wow...hell it was probably on of the most active in that regard. I have noticed declines in these sort of events due to a surge of f2p games, even in lotro our mature server went pretty bad with the f2p transition. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

That's good to know :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• McDougles1McDougles1 Member Posts: 35

Grind, raid, rinse, repeat. Such is the life of an MMO player.