Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This needs to be in a sticky not in a locked thread 4 pages back.

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I saw this in a locked thread when I logged in, I thought it was an odd area to place such a detailed explanation of their do's and don'ts. This should be stickied in any forum as a game launches, IMO.

I am not sure if the TOS has changed or not, but I do not recall it including a statement about thoughtful, well written and argued points, as it does in what I highlighted below. Many people may not view that as trolling, yet do it unaware that it's against the rules and is considered trolling by the staff.

I really don't give a hoot what people post, I'm just giving a heads up and pointing out, this needs to be placed in an area for all to see.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, or start any sort of back and forth. I just don't think that many here are aware of these rules... If they are.. well...

Originally posted by MikeB...

""Positive" posting no-nos:

Going to other game forums and posting constantly about how your game of choice is better than the game in the game board you're posting in for X Y and Z reasons.

Negative posting no-nos:

-Snip_

Posting negative commentary about a specific game or topic on a consistent and frequent basis. For example, someone who has many legitimate beefs about a particular game and articules them well, but is essentially fighting the same battle on a day-to-day basis. At a certain point we consider this trolling as well and it is not allowed. If you really dislike a game, say your piece and move on. Or better yet, write a user feature on it. ;)

We want you to be able to voice your negative opinion on a game, but it doesn't need to be in every topic of the game's forum, especially if it is disruptive to the discussion. "New patch added 10 zones!" "Who cares? It's still a themepark game." This sort of thing is really unnecessary. "

-

This is what it says in the ROC on Trolling, it's pretty vague compared to what I quoted,.

• Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.

For example: If there is one game that you did not enjoy, voicing your opinion is encouraged. Posting this opinion in every thread concerning that game to the point that it disrupts all other conversation is not tolerated

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

You just called out like every themepark fan on this site.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    This really needs to be enforced because the trolls have been really hitting it hard this past week.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by twodayslate

You just called out like every themepark fan on this site.

If you think just one side does this, thanks for the laugh.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

A brand new, highly anticipated AAA title just launched, and it is clealy controversial on this site due to some of the design decisions.  The fever pitch of posts will die down on its own in a couple days as everyone chooses to play it, or moves on with their lives.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

A brand new, highly anticipated AAA title just launched, and it is clealy controversial on this site due to some of the design decisions.  The fever pitch of posts will die down on its own in a couple days as everyone plays it, or moves on with their lives.  

No offense to anyone but many have been carrying on the same topics for months, in some cases years. I wonder how they get away with it considering what's in the OP.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Translated:

You can post positive opinions on a game as many times as you like, but a negative one only once.

Hmm... If those rules were rigidly enforced, mmorpg.com would devolve into a bunch of isolated fanboi game forums where you'd be hard pressed to find anything negative about any given game.

There should be a rethink of this, I think.

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Translated:

You can post positive opinions on a game as many times as you like, but a negative one only once.

Hmm... If those rules were rigidly enforced, mmorpg.com would devolve into a bunch of isolated fanboi game forums where you'd be hard pressed to find anything negative about any given game.

There should be a rethink of this, I think.

Not exctly true as it seems a person can have a negative opinion about every aspect brought up, they just don't want people carrying the same discussion on in every thread. Such as TOR is not an MMO!, TOR is a WOW clone, etc...

Originally posted by Distopia

A brand new, highly anticipated AAA title just launched, and it is clealy controversial on this site due to some of the design decisions.  The fever pitch of posts will die down on its own in a couple days as everyone plays it, or moves on with their lives.  

No offense to anyone but many have been carrying on the same topics for months, in some cases years. I wonder how they get away with it considering what's in the OP.

No one cares.  Is this keeping you up at night or something?  If you don't like the threads, go read something else. That's what I do.

Huh? I just thought the "rule" was interesting as well as contradictory to the state of the forum, I really couldn't care less whether it's enforced or not.

NVM

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Great reminder, so this means you want to delete those 4 topics about SWTOR in the GW2 forums?

Originally posted by Azaria

Great reminder, so this means you want to delete those 4 topics about SWTOR in the GW2 forums?

Haven't seen them but from the sound of it they're reportable.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

Sigh doesn't help they just disguise themselves as genuine concern posts, with verb topics like Afraid? Scared? Worried? and when you read it says, OF SWTOR, or SWTOR domiating your market, or SWOTR subs intimidating you, or some kind of faceslap swotor Stealth ninja thread. Theres a new one every day.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Then those people should be reported. I don't like that crap when its done here and I certainly wouldn't condone it being done in the reverse.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Sigh doesn't help they just disguise themselves as genuine concern posts, with verb topics like Afraid? Scared? Worried? and when you read it says, OF SWTOR, or SWTOR domiating your market, or SWOTR subs intimidating you, or some kind of faceslap swotor Stealth ninja thread. Theres a new one every day.

Sounds like pure baiting to me.

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335
    Forums are founded so we can share our opinions and point of view. Argument and discussion are healthy for the genre. Trolling is when you use ad-hominums and/or when you dont back your arguments with facts or personal mmorpg experience.
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

That was what I thought too when I first read this. Great write up.

I hope they'll make that general policy.

Serial hate for specific games = contributing nothing and only works to annoy people and tempt them to retaliate, it derails discussions and makes the community on this site look bad.

NVM, Can a mod move this to the suggestion forum?

Originally posted by DarkPony

Serial hate for specific games = contributing nothing and only works to annoy people and tempt them to retaliate, it derails discussions and makes the community on this site look bad.

Definitely agree on that last part.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

If you don't like a thread, then don't read it. If you don't like a specific poster, then block him/her. If you don't like a specific board, then don't visit it. Let others converse if they want to converse. Why do you want to stifle conversation? Why do you want to block what people have to say? If you don't like it, then don't engage in the conversation, but don't try to stop other people from engaging in conversation.

Bottom line, either converse or don't converse, but don't try to make it to where other people can't converse freely. Learn to let go and just move on. You are in no way, literally no way at all affected by other people having a discussion or argument or debate. Don't ruin it for them by crying for increased moderation and complaining. Just move along and let people do their thing.

Originally posted by Jimmac

If you don't like a thread, then don't read it. If you don't like a specific poster, then block him/her. If you don't like a specific board, then don't visit it. Let others converse if they want to converse. Why do you want to stifle conversation? Why do you want to block what people have to say? If you don't like it, then don't engage in the conversation, but don't try to stop other people from engaging in conversation.

Bottom line, either converse or don't converse, but don't try to make it to where other people can't converse freely. Learn to let go and just move on. You are in no way, literally no way at all affected by other people having a discussion or argument or debate. Don't ruin it for them by crying for increased moderation and complaining. Just move along and let people do their thing.

Who's complaining? Lighten up..

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

You cannot ban everyone for posting negative opinions on the game.

This is a forum! Not a SWTOR fanclub.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Works both ways, serial praise posts are just as bad.  Anywhere that specifically disallows all negative posts turns into NorthKorea.com.  The moderation around here is already borderline Third Reichish, taking that extra step would just drive people away in droves.

I just wonder where the limit is that's outlined by MIkeB. How do they gauge when a poster has said the same argument too much?

Originally posted by twodayslate

Works both ways, serial praise posts are just as bad.  Anywhere that specifically disallows all negative posts turns into NorthKorea.com.  The moderation around here is already borderline Third Reichish, taking that extra step would just drive people away in droves.

Ding, ding... well you half got it.

That's the thing it doesn't seem that it does work both ways. Now you see why I find it so interesting.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Jimmac

<>

Who's complaining? Lighten up..

My post was directed only towards those people who would like more moderation. The people who I consider to be complaining are the ones complaining that the moderators aren't moderating enough.