Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did TERA fail, and is there any hope of escaping that fate for its launch in the west?

Comments

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70

I was being sarcastic, saying a game will fail because YOU would rather play another one is silly... and that is what I was pointing out. 

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

There is a TV show in Canada called Lost Girl. The show was exclusive to Canada and gets between 600 and 700K viewers every week.

By US standards that's epic fail. According to Fox, Fringe at 4 million viewers doesn't earn prime time. Lost Girl on the other hand has more viewers than any other show in its group by Canadian standards.

So "Tera fail" is very much an Optic. Saying Tera fails using US projections in Korea is like saying Lost Girl failed. Unless you can show me other MMO's that launched in Korea alone that make Tera a failed launch, you are comparing apples to oranges.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by free2play

There is a TV show in Canada called Lost Girl. The show was exclusive to Canada and gets between 600 and 700K viewers every week.

By US standards that's epic fail. According to Fox, Fringe at 4 million viewers doesn't earn prime time. Lost Girl on the other hand has more viewers than any other show in its group by Canadian standards.

So "Tera fail" is very much an Optic. Saying Tera fails using US projections in Korea is like saying Lost Girl failed. Unless you can show me other MMO's that launched in Korea alone that make Tera a failed launch, you are comparing apples to oranges.

If you are going to throw out an example to explain your silly argument then at least make sure to have all the facts involved to do so. TERA isn't considered fail cause of US projections. It's fail cause it's not doing well in comparison to the cost of it's production. They are only sticking to P2P cause they believe that western box sales will boost it's earnings which I highly doubt it will.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I think TERA will relatively fail in west as well. Well it might get big enough niche to keep operating, but ultimatelly it won't be hugely succesful in west game IMO.

Business model have not much to do with this, it is game itself imho AND competition.  This game will face competition from Swtor, GW2, TSW and new WoW expansion won't be far away.  ArcheAge might possibly lurk on horizon as well.

Still chance of Tera is that it do have certain groups of followers that is waiting for it's release in west for quite some time, question is : it is big enough?

• Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70

I think Tera will do very well in the west IF they can get enough people to be aware of it, and motivate them to try it out for themselfs. I played in the korean open beta and made it to lvl 34, If i had not played it myself i would have little interest or faith in the game but after experiancing it for myself i really have no interest in any other games but this one. That being said if people can get past the stereotyping of korean games and actually try it out i think tera will thrive here in the west.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Derza10

That being said if people can get past the stereotyping of korean games and actually try it out i think tera will thrive here in the west.

Thats like asking chicken to fly long distance. They can do it for a very short period of time, but not enough to be interested in the game. 

Dunno why people likes to stereotype everything so much, we miss so much in life because of it.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Ares767Ares767 Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I was under the impression that it launched in Korea with very little content. I may be way off the mark though.

This is exactly what i've read as well.  The game did not have enough content on its release to be successful.  Though I am sure there is probably some other things as well.

Originally posted by Ares767

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I was under the impression that it launched in Korea with very little content. I may be way off the mark though.

This is exactly what i've read as well.  The game did not have enough content on its release to be successful.  Though I am sure there is probably some other things as well.

Barely any content, easy leveling curve (even for western standards), broken PvP, broken political system and RNG enchanting that is needed to do harder dungeons.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

within about 3 weeks of launch the majority of players had reached end level and there was no end game content so most players just left. keep in mind that Koreans are used to really slow leveling, grindy games. tera had neither.

i personaly found Tera to be what i thought FF14 was going to be. it is absolutely gorgeous to watch and the aim based combat was very fun. it's still too asian to make it big in the west but it will have plenty of fans.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Ah, I see. So it was too fast leveling speed and too little endgame content that made the difference.

I can certainly see why that'd make a difference with Aion, Aion has a leveling trajectory that takes twice as long as in other MMO's to reach level cap, and they had some interesting endgame mechanics in place.

If they manage to provide more content in the higher levels though plus some of the features they've been talking about but not implemented yet, then this migh go differently in the west than how it went in the east: Aion's leveling was considered too glacial and grindy, so if TERA can evade that hurdle, it'll be better to retention, under the condition that their endgame content is sufficiently enough implement ofc.

Koreans are a lot into leveling grind instead of gear grind.

But the real issue is the usual: lack of content. They need to patch more into it and get the difficulty just right.

The game still have a chance in the West if they learned from the Asion launch, we will just have to wait and see. But pretty graphics is not enough, people need content as well. Just look on AoC, it have the same problem.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I am still looking forward to playing Tera. 

• elsdragonelsdragon Member UncommonPosts: 28

Im rather looking forward to the release of tera here in NA.

yes currently there is a major lack in endgame content. yet the game does offer more into it's own replay value.

i only say these because there is the political system. get into a large enough and/or active enouth guild. then there's continual progression to each independant city/provance in the world that can keep things new. (atleast to me).

the changes they are doing to the PVP rules where a much welcome change. even with the little information i looked over i think they might be able to catch up on it to help other's keep an interest into the game on that front.

im just a little worryed that the game will sadly turn into an mmo version of monster hunter and wow...... collect everything in sight and have a cap lvled toon in 2 days....

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

amazing graphics, great ideas but with Frogster this game will turn out to be nothing like the original h is - honestly - the biggest shame.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

Originally posted by elsdragon

Im rather looking forward to the release of tera here in NA.

yes currently there is a major lack in endgame content. yet the game does offer more into it's own replay value.

i only say these because there is the political system. get into a large enough and/or active enouth guild. then there's continual progression to each independant city/provance in the world that can keep things new. (atleast to me).

the changes they are doing to the PVP rules where a much welcome change. even with the little information i looked over i think they might be able to catch up on it to help other's keep an interest into the game on that front.

im just a little worryed that the game will sadly turn into an mmo version of monster hunter and wow...... collect everything in sight and have a cap lvled toon in 2 days....

The political system is pointless to most unless you are a guild leader or going to PVP in battlegrounds all day. Even then, it's only worth it if you own the end game territory where everyone goes and spends their money.

The PvP rules changes basically allows max level people to do a quest so they can PvP other max level people with a drawback if you kill like 500 people without getting killed yourself. Seems useless to me.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

In regards to the content problem, I hope they focus more on the repeatable content, instead of one off content like laugable storylines or dungeons for gears.

Look at League of Legends for example, it only have 2 maps, but with so many heroes, the variety is much higher and every battle feels fresh and different.

I hope they try to to include more power sets/classes, because if done right, they provide much more replayability and content into a game then just another dungeons or another set of quest. 

A balance of both will be awesome.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• elsdragonelsdragon Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Otakun

Saving Space. yes people can do this...

The political system is pointless to most unless you are a guild leader or going to PVP in battlegrounds all day. Even then, it's only worth it if you own the end game territory where everyone goes and spends their money.

The PvP rules changes basically allows max level people to do a quest so they can PvP other max level people with a drawback if you kill like 500 people without getting killed yourself. Seems useless to me.

i didn't know about the pvp change being.... well for lack of better words... dry....

yet I do agree with you that the politican system only works towards the guild leader. yet even the guild leader will need the help of the guild to keep there stand in power. keepinging majority vote in the public and gaining polotical points from the quest's that is offered to the guild leader.

it's super interesting to me that it's such a settle means of making guilds more active.

If you are going to throw out an example to explain your silly argument then at least make sure to have all the facts involved to do so. TERA isn't considered fail cause of US projections. It's fail cause it's not doing well in comparison to the cost of it's production. They are only sticking to P2P cause they believe that western box sales will boost it's earnings which I highly doubt it will.

Oh, the game was over budget. That's a good excuse to look down your nose at people and be rude and smug. Crawl back under your rock for 10 more years you immature freak of nature.

Oh, the game was over budget. That's a good excuse to look down your nose at people and be rude and smug. Crawl back under your rock for 10 more years you immature freak of nature.

I wasn't looking down at anyone. Don't get your panties in a wad cause you don't know how to handle someone who actually does research into what they talk about before posting.  Your response only proves that you are the immature one, having to resort to name calling cause your faulty logic has failed you. Move along now before you make yourself look more like a child. Also, didn't say the game went over budget, I said the game didn't bring in as much in comparison to what it has spent to make it. That is not over budget. Going over budget means they spent more then they expected to during production which was never mentioned. If you are going to act like a fool by saying that I am looking down at you for some silly excuse at least get your terms right.

I wasn't looking down at anyone. Don't get your panties in a wad cause you don't know how to handle someone who actually does research into what they talk about before posting.  Your response only proves that you are the immature one, having to resort to name calling cause your faulty logic has failed you. Move along now before you make yourself look more like a child. Also, didn't say the game went over budget, I said the game didn't bring in as much in comparison to what it has spent to make it. That is not over budget. Going over budget means they spent more then they expected to during production which was never mentioned. If you are going to act like a fool by saying that I am looking down at you for some silly excuse at least get your terms right.

You are still doing it. You can't disagree with people without being a rude, anti social freak? You come on a forum and dictate the law, you are all wise and full of information and everyone else is an ignorant moron, then wonder why someone might snap at you? Go outside for a few minutes a day.

Read your own original reply to me. You are going to tell me it didn't stink of high browing? Why is so painfull to be polite on a forum?

On topic, if they made the game with a huge budget, do you really think the end publishing goal was exclusive to Korea or a closed server Japan? They were prototype launches. They planned from day one to release this game global. This is phase three of a 3 phase launch program. Costing after global release will make them money. I don't thinke BHS ever expected to make thier money back from Korea alone. There was never an audience in Korea to recover investments. Using my initial example, had the show Lost Girl spent 12 million per episode never planning to branch out beyond Canada then yes, that would make it a failure. Because the costs per episode were under 100K they make money witha  600K audience. You decided to not even see things from my point of view and went straight to belittlement. You got what you deserved. Cry moar.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

I say let's have the players decide with their wallets people.  I've been reading the MMORPG forums for a long time, and there's been a huge outcry against WoW clones, and against mmos lacking polish, good graphics, and content.  Even after SW:TOR's release these players are still vocal, and if that's going to be the case in Spring 2012 then Tera still has a market to succeed.

If I had to sum of Tera in one sentence, it basically is an MMO that has all the features that I expect/demand a next-gen P2P MMO should have, without having to deal with a WoWish community, and it's got boobies.  A lot of people don't care about the last reason, but you'd be surprised at how many people do, and they have money too.

The only thing keeping this game from being a success, is literally En Masse/Frogster.  Little to no advertising of this game is going to hurt a lot because this game does not have an install base to work off of.  Secondly,  the release date is a problem.  March was a perfect time, there's no reason to push the release date of an already completed game back,further, and the later in Spring 2012 it's release, the less sales it's going to make.

WIll Tera fail in the west?  Maybe I'm mistaken but I've only heard of MMOs failing/dying because they just plain suck and/or have nothing new to offer the genre, and I've not heard from a single person that's played the game (recently) that has described it as such.  If Tera has a decent launch, and continues to add updates, and manages the servers population well, I don't see why it should fail in the west.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Why is so painfull to be polite on a forum?

Weird question from someone calling a quoted poster all sorts of names.

Originally posted by Netspook

Read his original Quote. He came here looking for a fight, he got one. You are welcome to join in.

You are still doing it. You can't disagree with people without being a rude, anti social freak? You come on a forum and dictate the law, you are all wise and full of information and everyone else is an ignorant moron, then wonder why someone might snap at you? Go outside for a few minutes a day.

Read your own original reply to me. You are going to tell me it didn't stink of high browing? Why is so painfull to be polite on a forum?

On topic, if they made the game with a huge budget, do you really think the end publishing goal was exclusive to Korea or a closed server Japan? They were prototype launches. They planned from day one to release this game global. This is phase three of a 3 phase launch program. Costing after global release will make them money. I don't thinke BHS ever expected to make thier money back from Korea alone. There was never an audience in Korea to recover investments. Using my initial example, had the show Lost Girl spent 12 million per episode never planning to branch out beyond Canada then yes, that would make it a failure. Because the costs per episode were under 100K they make money witha  600K audience. You decided to not even see things from my point of view and went straight to belittlement. You got what you deserved. Cry moar.

If you are concerned about someone acting "high brow" on the internet then you need to remember that the internet is full of random no name people who mean nothing to your normal day life and if you are bothered by how random guy talks to you then it seems that you are the one with the problem. Maybe you should look into that issue before posting again.

But on topic, your example makes no sense. The idea of being high budget and not making as much back as they assumed has nothing to do with future endeavors. They were forced to release early cause of investor reasons not cause of some simple idea of a "prototype launch". It's very self centered to think that everything is just for the 'global launch' and everything else is just testing. For one thing, there is no 'global launch'. There is a NA release and a EU release which are both seperate by 2 different publishers. By your example, then they would have never been forced to release early in Korea and in Japan and have a set date for the western release which there wasn't, it was pushed back cause they knew the product was not finished. I decided not to see things from your POV cause your POV is flawed and you are too short sighted to see cause there are other factors that you have not taken into account.

So, yeah, maybe you should spend a week or two to actual read up on what's going on with TERA instead of spouting off some crap about a lame TV show and act like the the production of some low budget TV show is the same as the production of the most expensive MMO ever developed in Korea.

Originally posted by Netspook

Read his original Quote. He came here looking for a fight, he got one. You are welcome to join in.

I was just pointing out how you were acting. You were the one who took offense to it, so it was you who was looking for a fight.

If you are concerned about someone acting "high brow" on the internet then you need to remember that the internet is full of random no name people who mean nothing to your normal day life and if you are bothered by how random guy talks to you then it seems that you are the one with the problem. Maybe you should look into that issue before posting again.

But on topic, your example makes no sense. The idea of being high budget and not making as much back as they assumed has nothing to do with future endeavors. They were forced to release early cause of investor reasons not cause of some simple idea of a "prototype launch". It's very self centered to think that everything is just for the 'global launch' and everything else is just testing. For one thing, there is no 'global launch'. There is a NA release and a EU release which are both seperate by 2 different publishers. By your example, then they would have never been forced to release early in Korea and in Japan and have a set date for the western release which there wasn't, it was pushed back cause they knew the product was not finished. I decided not to see things from your POV cause your POV is flawed and you are too short sighted to see cause there are other factors that you have not taken into account.

So, yeah, maybe you should spend a week or two to actual read up on what's going on with TERA instead of spouting off some crap about a lame TV show and act like the the production of some low budget TV show is the same as the production of the most expensive MMO ever developed in Korea.

I still don't see this as a failure in Korea and the reasoning is given. I do respect that forums are inadequate in some ways and flame wars rise up over how something is interpreted and it's usually a false interpreting. I find a forum is like a bar. I never go in with an expactation. We might all sit there and laugh, get drunk and go home or we might end up beating beer bottles over each others heads. When the latter happens, you either leave or start swinging.

I still can't see EME putting huge amounts of money in to Tera for a Korean only launch. South Korea only has 50 million people. There simply is not a big enough population there to justify it. Releasing it early would give them a public audience and a working subscription base to see where they needed to finish and what was acceptable. They can only simulate so much during production. At some point they need to release to fix thier mistakes. It would suck to be South Korean and to have purchased Tera to open beta test it but I think that's what they did really.

This discussion has been closed.